Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 34

Thread: Hypothetically speaking...

      
  1. #1
    Looking Hairy
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    4,217

    Default Hypothetically speaking...

    ...if someone from the Prem comes in and offers ~£12m for Britt in the summer...do you take it?


  2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many

  3. #2
    Where's me hammer?
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    45,795

    Default Re: Hypothetically speaking...

    Quote Originally Posted by Kelvin's Local View Post
    ...if someone from the Prem comes in and offers ~£12m for Britt in the summer...do you take it?
    I wouldnt value him anywhere near that so its an excellent price, but you cant replace so why would you take it?


  4. #3
    Billy Davies long lost lovechild.
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    35,957

    Default Re: Hypothetically speaking...

    Can't we just sack him instead?


  5. #4
    Left Winger
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Lufthansa Business Lounge
    Posts
    76,196

    Default Re: Hypothetically speaking...

    Just boo him then he'll soon leave himself.

    „I believe in socialism because it seems more humanitarian, rather than every man for himself and 'I'm alright jack' and all those arsehole businessmen with all the loot. I made up my mind from viewing society from that angle. That's where I'm from and there's where I've made my decisions from. That's why I believe in socialism“

    — Joe Strummer

  6. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    16,602

    Default Re: Hypothetically speaking...

    If we could spend it, yes. Seeing as we can't spend it, no.


  7. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,045

    Default Re: Hypothetically speaking...

    £12m? Of course you would.


  8. #7
    winnits
    Guest

    Default

    Yes.


  9. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    5,578

    Default Re: Hypothetically speaking...

    Absolutely, because otherwise we'd be forced to lose him in the next January transfer window for half of that.


  10. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Wokingham/London
    Posts
    7,390

    Default Re: Hypothetically speaking...

    Yes. Clubs finances would be completely sorted.. For a while at least


  11. #10
    Looking Hairy
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    4,217

    Default Re: Hypothetically speaking...

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Foster View Post
    I wouldnt value him anywhere near that so its an excellent price, but you cant replace so why would you take it?
    Well, if we had £12m coming in, we'd probably come out of our Um Bongo so we could replace him. Saves us a transfer window.


  12. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    16,602

    Default Re: Hypothetically speaking...

    Quote Originally Posted by Kieran View Post
    Absolutely, because otherwise we'd be forced to lose him in the next January transfer window for half of that.
    How come?


  13. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hilcote, Sheepshire.
    Posts
    15,891

    Default Re: Hypothetically speaking...

    Quote Originally Posted by Kelvin's Local View Post
    Well, if we had £12m coming in, we'd probably come out of our Um Bongo so we could replace him. Saves us a transfer window.
    You make it sound like it will be easy to replace him.


  14. #13

    Default Re: Hypothetically speaking...

    Why do people keep asking these questions as if we're not under embargo? We couldn't refuse a bid half that size! The loss threshold for this season is £3.5m; everyone is for sale.


  15. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    11,935

    Default Re: Hypothetically speaking...

    The £5.5m we paid for him will rise to £8m based on appearances so if he doesn't play the required amount of games (whatever that may be) then a £12m offer represents a £6.5m profit for him and is more than double the amount we paid.

    Would be difficult to turn down considering the financial restrictions we have.


  16. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    16,602

    Default Re: Hypothetically speaking...

    Quote Originally Posted by Lichaj of the Tiger View Post
    Why do people keep asking these questions as if we're not under embargo? We couldn't refuse a bid half that size! The loss threshold for this season is £3.5m; everyone is for sale.
    Which financial year are we currently being punished for? Are you saying that if we don't sell, it's possible that we'll get another embargo as soon as the current one finishes?


  17. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    5,578

    Default Re: Hypothetically speaking...

    From an article about our embargo I gathered that if nothing was done to raise money then it'd be extended until January 2016 at the least.


  18. #17

    Default Re: Hypothetically speaking...

    Quote Originally Posted by tropix View Post
    Which financial year are we currently being punished for? Are you saying that if we don't sell, it's possible that we'll get another embargo as soon as the current one finishes?
    We're currently under embargo because losses for 2013/14 season exceeded the £8m threshold. The loss threshold for 2014/15 is between £3.5m and £6m (depending on whether the owner is willing and able to inject capital to minimise shortfalls) with a new round of penalties handed out in December. If (when) we're shown to have exceeded the loss threshold for this season, we'll be punished again. However, from 2015/16 clubs will be assessed over a three year period, with permitted losses not exceeding £15m over that period. Losses over £15m will not automatically be punished: if club owners are able to inject capital, losses are permitted upto £39m over three years. Clubs in the Premier League will also be assessed over three years, with maximum permitted losses over that period of £105m. Any club yoyo-ing between the divisions will have loss thresholds set on a "pro-rata" basis according to time spent in each division, with seasonal loss ceilings averaged down to £13m per Championship season and £35m per Premier League season (so a club spending 2 seasons in FLC and 1 in PL will be permitted maximum losses of £61m).

    Basically, from 2015/16, Fawaz will be able to go berserk with the cheque book again. Lean times until then unless he gets his big sponsorship deal from the Gulf.

    Last edited by Itsy-bitsy Bonatini Yellow Polkadot Bikini; 22-01-15 at 17:19.

  19. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    My house
    Posts
    10,889

    Default Re: Hypothetically speaking...

    Looks like a yes at £12 million.

    How about if someone offered £11.5 million? Does that change anything?

    What if Derby offered £15 million? Still sell him?

    We need answers!


  20. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    16,602

    Default Re: Hypothetically speaking...

    Quote Originally Posted by Lichaj of the Tiger View Post
    We're currently under embargo because losses for 2013/14 season exceeded the £8m threshold. The loss threshold for 2014/15 is between £3.5m and £6m (depending on whether the owner is willing and able to inject capital to minimise shortfalls) with a new round of penalties handed out in December. If (when) we're shown to have exceeded the loss threshold for this season, we'll be punished again. However, from 2015/16 clubs will be assessed over a three year period, with permitted losses not exceeding £15m over that period. Losses over £15m will not automatically be punished: if club owners are able to inject capital, losses are permitted upto £39m over three years. Clubs in the Premier League will also be assessed over three years, with maximum permitted losses over that period of £105m. Any club yoyo-ing between the divisions will have loss thresholds set on a "pro-rata" basis according to time spent in each division, with seasonal loss ceilings averaged down to £13m per Championship season and £35m per Premier League season (so a club spending 2 seasons in FLC and 1 in PL will be permitted maximum losses of £65m).

    Basically, from 2015/16, Fawaz will be able to go berserk with the cheque book again. Lean times until then unless he gets his big sponsorship deal from the Gulf.
    Fantastic explanation. Cheers chap.


  21. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    JLB Credit
    Posts
    8,120

    Default Re: Hypothetically speaking...

    Even whilst disregarding FFP, no Championship club can afford to turn down an offer of £10m plus for a player. You can get 4-5 excellent first-team players in for that with money to spare, and, as we (should) all know, it's teams that get you out of this division, not individuals.

    That's not to say I wouldn't be gutted to see Britt leave, but I certainly wouldn't be sharpening the pitchfork like some undoubtedly would.


  22. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,641

    Default Re: Hypothetically speaking...

    Quote Originally Posted by tropix View Post
    If we could spend it, yes. Seeing as we can't spend it, no.
    One in one out would suggest to me that we could spend it. The problem is that we couldnt replace him with someone of the same ilk for less money.


  23. #22
    Sexual Tyrannosaurus
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Behind you
    Posts
    41,987

    Default Re: Hypothetically speaking...

    Quote Originally Posted by Project Zeus View Post
    Even whilst disregarding FFP, no Championship club can afford to turn down an offer of £10m plus for a player. You can get 4-5 excellent first-team players in for that with money to spare, and, as we (should) all know, it's teams that get you out of this division, not individuals.

    That's not to say I wouldn't be gutted to see Britt leave, but I certainly wouldn't be sharpening the pitchfork like some undoubtedly would.
    It'd make no difference as we couldn't use any money we received for him to buy anyone, we could only replace him, and anyone else for that matter with a loan or free purchase with wages up to £11k a week.


  24. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    JLB Credit
    Posts
    8,120

    Default Re: Hypothetically speaking...

    Quote Originally Posted by Hand ShAndy! View Post
    It'd make no difference as we couldn't use any money we received for him to buy anyone, we could only replace him, and anyone else for that matter with a loan or free purchase with wages up to £11k a week.
    Ah, would the umbongo not be negated until the following December in the event of us raising money? Makes sense, though it still doesn't change my opinion, we'd be mad to turn that kind of money down.


  25. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Everywhere, and yet nowhere to be seen
    Posts
    1,249

    Default Re: Hypothetically speaking...

    Bearing in mind we paid 3 times to much for him (according to a sheepshagger I know", then yes.


  26. #25
    Sexual Tyrannosaurus
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Behind you
    Posts
    41,987

    Default Re: Hypothetically speaking...

    Quote Originally Posted by Project Zeus View Post
    Ah, would the umbongo not be negated until the following December in the event of us raising money? Makes sense, though it still doesn't change my opinion, we'd be mad to turn that kind of money down.
    Not yet, We are under the FFP restrictions until the accounts for the year before are under the threshold, so if we sold £10 million worth of assets now, they would be in this years accounts so we would be umbongo free next Jan, if we're under the threshold. Best bet is to keep hold of whoever we can and get to the prem or get through the next three windows when we'll have three years to either comply with the new FFP guidelines or blow them out the water to get up. If we don't in the three years from 15/16 onwards then we'll be umbongoed again.


 

 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •