Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27

Thread: The significance of Saturday - a fixed point in history (wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey)

      
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    2,473

    Default The significance of Saturday - a fixed point in history (wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey)

    The win over Derby was obviously the high point of the season so far (just about eclipsing SP's emergence from the tunnel before the first home game of the season), but the significance of that game - or to narrow it down even further, the second half, or even just the twenty minute spell that included both Forest goals - could turn out to be utterly colossal in terms of the as-yet unwritten history of our great football club.

    First of all, you've got the obvious one: the potential salvation of our own Stuart Pearce. Of course I appreciate it's only one result and only three points, and that we now have another twenty critical matches ahead before the end of the season, but I think it's fair to say that there was a reasonably high chance that Psycho could have agreed to leave the club 'by mutual consent' if we'd been turned over by Derby to make it two wins in 21 (including what would have been five defeats in a row.) Thank Clough though, that didn't happen and Psycho is still in charge, and barring any further disastrous runs he should now be safe to see us through to at least the end of the season, and hopefully for many more seasons to come. This of course ensures that the all-important stability and great off-field work that by all accounts is being achieved can continue, instead of everything being torn up and started all over again. This alone could mean we've avoided being set back by another couple of seasons, or worse, all over again.

    Then you've got the unique and irreplaceable experience that Fawaz will have enjoyed at the iPro on Saturday. Moments like that don't come along very often, and when they're as sweet as that, they can sustain anyone's enthusiasm and commitment immeasurably. Even though we've had the occasional reassuring word from Fawaz (albeit not as often this season as we'd become accustomed to previously), I think all of us would have felt a little anxious lately about the effect our terrible run in the league might have had on the owner's enjoyment of being director, and wondered if there might be a time on the horizon when he may want to sell up and move on. Hopefully now we can allay those fears for a while, knowing how much of a thrill it would have been for Fawaz on Saturday and assuming he'll be looking to enjoy a good few more moments like that before he's done with Forest (which will hopefully be never, of course.)

    What next? Well, there's the much-needed massive reappraisal of Psycho's managerial credentials by even some of his harshest critics. How lovely to be able to acknowledge his tactical awareness that saw him select the right starting eleven, motivate his team in such a way that their heads didn't drop after going a goal behind in cruel fashion after barely fifteen minutes, make an astute formation change for the second half that showed his ability to observe, understand and respond to the way a match was going in order to make a notable improvement, and not make unnecessary substitutions at questionable moments. We now know for sure that Psycho HAS got what it takes to be a good manager - certainly good enough to match the Aidy Boothroyds, Roy Keanes, Billy Davieses, Mick McCarthys, Phil Browns and Chris Hughtons (of this world) who have guided teams to promotion from the Championship in recent years. What's more, the players know it too, and that will be priceless as we move forward from here.

    How about the coming-of-age of Osborn, who most of us now agree is going to be a key player for Forest in the years ahead, if not one of our future legends? He ran the show and scored his debut goal in the 92nd minute agains the Rams at the iPro to seal a famous victory and save his manager and his club. And he's a Forest academy product originally from Derby for good measure. It's an instant classic story and yet it's only just the start - exciting times are ahead for him and for us.

    And the icing on the cake could yet turn out to be a result that puts the brakes on Derby's season. Just as great results can turn a club's season on its head, so too can disastrous ones. We proved to the rest of the league - on the telly - that Derby can be beaten, even by a team struggling for form. Others will now feel more confident taking on the Rams, and Derby's players' confidence will also have taken a battering. Throw in the misbehaviour of their fans and the continuing uncertainty over whether or not McClaren might dump them for Newcastle and you've got dark clouds suddenly appearing over Derbyshire and a potential recipe for Derby's downfall in the making - again, if the result had gone their way instead it would have been a very different story indeed.

    All in all, those twenty magical minutes between Osborn's free kick that led to Assombalonga's equaliser and the final whistle will hopefully, rightly, be looked back upon by all of us in five, ten, twenty, even fifty years' time as a defining point in the history of Nottingham Forest. I'm already looking forward to being there for the bicentenary unveiling in 2065 of brand new bronze statue in front of the Stuart Pearce stand of a young Ben Osborn in action, closing in on the Derby goal in the 92nd minute of that landmark game at the iPro fifty years ago.

    YOU REDS!

    Last edited by jerellis1; 19-01-15 at 14:35.

  2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many

  3. #2
    Best served cold
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Cliftonia
    Posts
    24,215

    Default Re: The significance of Saturday - a fixed point in history (wibbly-wobbly, timey-wim

    Excellent post mate, I was saying something along these lines earlier at work.

    It might not be a great season at the moment, but that result, the way it was won and Pearces reaction will live forever.

    "I've been blessed with many things in this life: an arm like a damn rocket, a c**k like a burmese python, and the mind of a f**king scientist" - Kenny Powers

  4. #3
    Footy Manager Researcher
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Doncaster
    Posts
    2,850

    Default Re: The significance of Saturday - a fixed point in history (wibbly-wobbly, timey-wim

    Quote Originally Posted by incapable hulk View Post
    Pearces reaction will live forever.
    Just a bit. Even those who aren't Forest fans know how much this club means to him, even more after that.


  5. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    16,602

    Default Re: The significance of Saturday - a fixed point in history (wibbly-wobbly, timey-wim

    Quote Originally Posted by incapable hulk View Post
    It might not be a great season at the moment, but that result, the way it was won and Pearces reaction will live forever.
    Exactly. Irrespective of what happens in the future (good or bad), we had this moment


  6. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    4,966

    Default Re: The significance of Saturday - a fixed point in history (wibbly-wobbly, timey-wim

    Jelly baby?


  7. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Venue 44
    Posts
    1,865

    Default Re: The significance of Saturday - a fixed point in history (wibbly-wobbly, timey-wim

    Retweet and Favourite.


  8. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,643

    Default Re: The significance of Saturday - a fixed point in history (wibbly-wobbly, timey-wim

    Yeh lots of positives to come out of that win beyond the fact we beat our rivals. Maybe its our Alex Ferguson moment. Its definitely a lot more positive around here since Saturday and I imagine training this morning for the players has probably been the same. Long may it continue


  9. #8
    Samuel
    Guest

    Default

    Good post. Feels good today 2 days after!

    Sweepstake on the first "doesn't matter Pearce is still rubbish" post? I'll go for post 26!


  10. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,643

    Default Re: The significance of Saturday - a fixed point in history (wibbly-wobbly, timey-wim

    Quote Originally Posted by donny View Post
    Just a bit. Even those who aren't Forest fans know how much this club means to him, even more after that.
    That picture where he looks like he is having 100 orgasms at the same time is now more famous to me than his Euro 96 moment


  11. #10
    May not be the best moderator on LTLF, but he's In The Top 1
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    38,765

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jerellis1 View Post
    The win over Derby was obviously the high point of the season so far (just about eclipsing SP's emergence from the tunnel before the first home game of the season), but the significance of that game - or to narrow it down even further, the second half, or even just the twenty minute spell that included both Forest goals - could turn out to be utterly colossal in terms of the as-yet unwritten history of our great football club. First of all, you've got the obvious one: the potential salvation of our own Stuart Pearce. Of course I appreciate it's only one result and only three points, and that we now have another twenty critical matches ahead before the end of the season, but I think it's fair to say that there was a reasonably high chance that Psycho could have agreed to leave the club 'by mutual consent' if we'd been turned over by Derby to make it two wins in 21 (including what would have been five defeats in a row.) Thank Clough though, that didn't happen and Psycho is still in charge, and barring any further disastrous runs he should now be safe to see us through to at least the end of the season, and hopefully for many more seasons to come. This of course ensures that the all-important stability and great off-field work that by all accounts is being achieved can continue, instead of everything being torn up and started all over again. This alone could mean we've avoided being set back by another couple of seasons, or worse, all over again. Then you've got the unique and irreplaceable experience that Fawaz will have enjoyed at the iPro on Saturday. Moments like that don't come along very often, and when they're as sweet as that, they can sustain anyone's enthusiasm and commitment immeasurably. Even though we've had the occasional reassuring word from Fawaz (albeit not as often this season as we'd become accustomed to previously), I think all of us would have felt a little anxious lately about the effect our terrible run in the league might have had on the owner's enjoyment of being director, and wondered if there might be a time on the horizon when he may want to sell up and move on. Hopefully now we can allay those fears for a while, knowing how much of a thrill it would have been for Fawaz on Saturday and assuming he'll be looking to enjoy a good few more moments like that before he's done with Forest (which will hopefully be never, of course.) What next? Well, there's the much-needed massive reappraisal of Psycho's managerial credentials by even some of his harshest critics. How lovely to be able to acknowledge his tactical awareness that saw him select the right starting eleven, motivate his team in such a way that their heads didn't drop after going a goal behind in cruel fashion after barely fifteen minutes, make an astute formation change for the second half that showed his ability to observe, understand and respond to the way a match was going in order to make a notable improvement, and not make unnecessary substitutions at questionable moments. We now know for sure that Psycho HAS got what it takes to be a good manager - certainly good enough to match the Aidy Boothroyds, Roy Keanes, Billy Davieses, Mick McCarthys, Phil Browns and Chris Hughtons (of this world) who have guided teams to promotion from the Championship in recent years. What's more, the players know it too, and that will be priceless as we move forward from here. How about the coming-of-age of Osborn, who most of us now agree is going to be a key player for Forest in the years ahead, if not one of our future legends? He ran the show and scored his debut goal in the 92nd minute agains the Rams at the iPro to seal a famous victory and save his manager and his club. And he's a Forest academy product originally from Derby for good measure. It's an instant classic story and yet it's only just the start - exciting times are ahead for him and for us. And the icing on the cake could yet turn out to be a result that puts the brakes on Derby's season. Just as great results can turn a club's season on its head, so too can disastrous ones. We proved to the rest of the league - on the telly - that Derby can be beaten, even by a team struggling for form. Others will now feel more confident taking on the Rams, and Derby's players' confidence will also have taken a battering. Throw in the misbehaviour of their fans and the continuing uncertainty over whether or not McClaren might dump them for Newcastle and you've got dark clouds suddenly appearing over Derbyshire and a potential recipe for Derby's downfall in the making - again, if the result had gone their way instead it would have been a very different story indeed. All in all, those twenty magical minutes between Osborn's free kick that led to Assombalonga's equaliser and the final whistle will hopefully, rightly, be looked back upon by all of us in five, ten, twenty, even fifty years' time as a defining point in the history of Nottingham Forest. I'm already looking forward to being there for the bicentenary unveiling in 2065 of brand new bronze statue in front of the Stuart Pearce stand of a young Ben Osborn in action, closing in on the Derby goal in the 92nd minute of that landmark game at the iPro fifty years ago. YOU REDS!
    Post of the week, right there.

    Great summation, Jerellis, and you've captured my thoughts also.

    By "relegation battle", do you mean 7th, 12th or 14th?

    Quote Originally Posted by willojack View Post
    flagman do me a f***ing favour remove me from this forum

  12. #11
    oopsy daisy!
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    On a longship close by
    Posts
    15,661

    Default Re: The significance of Saturday - a fixed point in history (wibbly-wobbly, timey-wim

    Quote Originally Posted by jerellis1 View Post
    Then you've got the unique and irreplaceable experience that Fawaz will have enjoyed at the iPro on Saturday. Moments like that don't come along very often......
    Coming back to your car to find the car tyres slashed and the number plate ripped off?


  13. #12
    oopsy daisy!
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    On a longship close by
    Posts
    15,661

    Default Re: The significance of Saturday - a fixed point in history (wibbly-wobbly, timey-wim

    Quote Originally Posted by jerellis1 View Post
    The win over Derby was obviously the high point of the season so far ........
    YOU REDS!
    Good post. Hopefully it is a major turning point.


  14. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    4,607

    Default Re: The significance of Saturday - a fixed point in history (wibbly-wobbly, timey-wim

    So to précis ....... shit hot result in every way.


  15. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    2,473

    Default Re: The significance of Saturday - a fixed point in history (wibbly-wobbly, timey-wim

    One more thing I neglected to mention in my opening post is that the Derby game feels as though it's clarified at long last what our first eleven should be, so all the tinkering and experimenting in search of the right formula might now be over. Related to this is the pivotal part DDV played in the game, making a crucial, brilliant save to keep it at 0-1 and generally being steady and looking every bit the Forest number one.


  16. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    4,607

    Default Re: The significance of Saturday - a fixed point in history (wibbly-wobbly, timey-wim

    Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    Coming back to your car to find the car tyres slashed and the number plate ripped off?
    Yeah but in some ways, it's reactions like that that show that you've got to them. And Fawaz can afford to merely smile .....................


  17. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    2,473

    Default Re: The significance of Saturday - a fixed point in history (wibbly-wobbly, timey-wim

    Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    Coming back to your car to find the car tyres slashed and the number plate ripped off?
    Actually, yeah - funnily enough I think those dummies have done Forest a bit of a favour here, giving Fawaz an opportunity to look like the gentleman we know he is (whilst probably strengthening his resolve to see Forest storm past Derby into the Premier League - now it's personal!)


  18. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Terra Incognita
    Posts
    2,603

    Default Re: The significance of Saturday - a fixed point in history (wibbly-wobbly, timey-wim

    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel View Post
    Good post. Feels good today 2 days after!

    Sweepstake on the first "doesn't matter Pearce is still rubbish" post? I'll go for post 26!
    Put me down for #17

    Pearce is still rubbish.

    (only joking)


  19. #18
    Who will BooBaby boo?
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    I'm up on the eleventh floor and I'm watching the Harleys below.
    Posts
    3,172

    Default Re: The significance of Saturday - a fixed point in history (wibbly-wobbly, timey-wim

    Quote Originally Posted by jerellis1 View Post
    Actually, yeah - funnily enough I think those dummies have done Forest a bit of a favour here, giving Fawaz an opportunity to look like the gentleman we know he is (whilst probably strengthening his resolve to see Forest storm past Derby into the Premier League - now it's personal!)
    I know it sounds a bit daft but, in one way, I think the retards attacking Fawaz car was a good thing.


  20. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    JLB Credit
    Posts
    8,012

    Default Re: The significance of Saturday - a fixed point in history (wibbly-wobbly, timey-wim

    Great post, Jerellis. I think you may be overstating things though - if we lose the next one the questions and pressure will return straight away.


  21. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    172

    Default Re: The significance of Saturday - a fixed point in history (wibbly-wobbly, timey-wim

    Great post

    And I couldn't care less what happens for the rest of the season, I'd happily sit mid-table now tbh, we had the best feeling of beating those big headed bastards, everything about Direby this season stinks, they've strutted around thinking its a foregone conclusion that they will win promotion, and that's the lot of them, from the owners, to the manager and players, and the idiotic fans, all of them think they're too good for this league, they're attitude stinks this season, and other clubs fans have said the same, they've gone from "liked" by the majority to being hated this season because of it.

    And I think the nation saw them for what they truly are with our game as well, not only the pathetic vandalism of our owners car, or the fan who ran onto the pitch, or the smashed coach windows, but the players peacock attitude on twitter as well, the gloating of how good they are, I hope this game ruins their season, I hope they struggle now and miss out on promotion, and all the other clubs fans say the same so its not just us.

    Big heads who were never that good.


  22. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Barnstaple/Shropshire
    Posts
    215

    Default Re: The significance of Saturday - a fixed point in history (wibbly-wobbly, timey-wim

    Great post!
    Truly hoping the Derby game is the springboard for a successful run now. Would be a story fit for a Hollywood movie, Pearce going into the Derby game with the vultures beginning to circle, the likes of Danny Mills already started to put the boot in, thinking the end was in site and Derby fans relishing the thought of being the final nail in the coffin for one of forests most beloved heroes, only for Pearce and his players to turn the form book on its head and shove the critics words down their throat, using victory against our greatest rivals as the launch pad to go on a winning run, eventually taking us to Wembley and promotion through the play offs, Pearce’s face contorted with passion as he gives the psycho salute to the ecstatic travelling Forest fans, even more thrilled at the knowledge it was one of their own who lead them back to the top.

    Sounds a bit of a fairy tale but feel good stories do happen in football and we have been the centre of plenty of hard luck stories in recent years so we are overdue a good one.


  23. #22
    Impressive member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Arkham Asylum
    Posts
    10,324

    Default Re: The significance of Saturday - a fixed point in history (wibbly-wobbly, timey-wim

    I agree with most of it, although I'm hoping the positive impact it has on our season is more effective than the negative impact it has on Derb. Personally I couldn't give a damn how their season goes, all I'm bothered about is Forest.
    I think the critical point at the minute is that it's given Pearce more breathing space; hopefully till the rest of the season at least.

    Project Zeus is right - the next few games will show whether it was just us being up for the loacal derby, or the team finally gelling and playing to win. We all know that the players are quality - arguably better than Derby's - so I hope the ethos and fighting spirit stays. We need to continue the way we played in the second half, and at the end of the season we might be able to look back and breathe a sigh of relief about how things turned.


  24. #23

    Default Re: The significance of Saturday - a fixed point in history (wibbly-wobbly, timey-wim

    I was feeling optimistic until I read the bit about Osborn being a future legend. Nice thought. But I suspect if he becomes good enough for legend status he'll be signed and briefly loaned back to us by a Premier League club whose first team manager has never seen him play and doesn't need to way before he reaches his peak which'll be shared at Middlesborough and West Brom for six months each.


  25. #24
    Impressive member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Arkham Asylum
    Posts
    10,324

    Default Re: The significance of Saturday - a fixed point in history (wibbly-wobbly, timey-wim

    "Hi, Jose. How's it hanging, my friend?"


  26. #25
    PSYCHO:PSYCHO:PSYCHO
    Guest

    Default Re: The significance of Saturday - a fixed point in history (wibbly-wobbly, timey-wim

    Quote Originally Posted by Cortez the Killer View Post
    I agree with most of it, although I'm hoping the positive impact it has on our season is more effective than the negative impact it has on Derb. Personally I couldn't give a damn how their season goes, all I'm bothered about is Forest.
    I think the critical point at the minute is that it's given Pearce more breathing space; hopefully till the rest of the season at least.

    Project Zeus is right - the next few games will show whether it was just us being up for the loacal derby, or the team finally gelling and playing to win. We all know that the players are quality - arguably better than Derby's - so I hope the ethos and fighting spirit stays. We need to continue the way we played in the second half, and at the end of the season we might be able to look back and breathe a sigh of relief about how things turned.
    this was a nice kick in mclarens smug chops, be wonderful if we steal 6th spot on the last day of the season and push derby into 7th, though i'm not too bothered about going up and obviously very unlikely, though somehow better to finish the season strong as in finish the season with a good momentum to feel there is a good foundation for next season

    this result increases the chances of taking points in the next few games dramatically, i mean hugely in an immense stratospheric way, to be out on that pitch a goal down, we was close to having any optimism totally crushed out of existence

    the sheep would prefer to see one of them collosal huge independence day spaceships hovering over them than have to set there eyes on psycho again, the impending doom and lamenting would be far less

    i like Pearce signings and he likes the kids, squad stronger but not world beaters, most freebies or loans but i like all of them and does seem the kids have a good chance if they work hard, it's very very very healthy in many ways

    i think we might have to accept Forest play in spells but also barring anything too cataclysmic i think we have a chance in most games, bit of bad luck about the run we were on but the fight is usually there but will be alot, like so so much stronger and better with this huge throbbing infusion of belief as well

    Last edited by PSYCHO:PSYCHO:PSYCHO; 20-01-15 at 00:26.

 

 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •