Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 40 of 40 FirstFirst ... 30383940

Thread: Forest Early History

Here, there & anywhere that will have me..

Default Re: Forest Early History

Wouldn’t it be great if someone wrote a current Forest match report in that style. Takes a bit of writing talent though- which is why I won’t attempt it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The beast is stirring yet again!! :devil:

it has nothing to do with football or NFFC

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Aitor Aitor A Puddycat View Post
    Wouldn’t it be great if someone wrote a current Forest match report in that style. Takes a bit of writing talent though- which is why I won’t attempt it.

Out ran the "Reds" and their opponents. T'was fair applause that met them. The game kicked off and some twenty minutes gone of much huffing and puffing but little to show for it, t'was murmurings of mild discontent. At half the time neither side had made merry by netting the ball and the crowd was in a lesser mood for it. Half two saw less huffing and puffing than half one, t'was shouts of discord that began to ring out. A penalty kick appeal by the "Reds" was turned away with a deft, authoritative swipe of the referee's arm and some of the more rougher types watching saw fit to accuse him of being born out of wedlock.

Sadly, (insert name) won the game by a goal to nil. T'was 'Boys of the Boo's' that accompanied the players off the pitch and away.

Might that do for you?

Here, there & anywhere that will have me..

Quote Originally Posted by Garry-Balding Red View Post
    Out ran the "Reds" and their opponents. T'was fair applause that met them. The game kicked off and some twenty minutes gone of much huffing and puffing but little to show for it, t'was murmurings of mild discontent. At half the time neither side had made merry by netting the ball and the crowd was in a lesser mood for it. Half two saw less huffing and puffing than half one, t'was shouts of discord that began to ring out. A penalty kick appeal by the "Reds" was turned away with a deft, authoritative swipe of the referee's arm and some of the more rougher types watching saw fit to accuse him of being born out of wedlock.

Sadly, (insert name) won the game by a goal to nil. T'was 'Boys of the Boo's' that accompanied the players off the pitch and away.

Might that do for you?
    Certainly a better effort than I could attempt lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We’ve heard a lot about Forests greatest goal scorer Grenville Morris on this thread. Here he is leading out the Reds v Stoke in 1904, surely the first ever film of Forest live. It comes from the amazing Mitchell & Kenyon series of films.
    Cracking interception by Needham near the start.
    Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/nhwZTm0K1to

Commentator is useless by the way gets all facts wrong, including fact Forest were at home, check out the Football Post advert.

“All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.”

Not strictly Forest History but while researching something else I came across hat there used to be a pub on Bridlesmith Gate named the 'General Garibaldi'. The picture below is from 1924.
    But wouldn't that be a great name to revive for some pub near the CG?

I fell in love with football as I was later to fall in love with women,. Suddenly, uncritically giving no thought to the pain it could bring. - Nick Hornby

The leafy, rarified suburb of Sneinton, Nottingham.

Quote Originally Posted by alabamared View Post
    Not strictly Forest History but while researching something else I came across hat there used to be a pub on Bridlesmith Gate named the 'General Garibaldi'. The picture below is from 1924.
    But wouldn't that be a great name to revive for some pub near the CG?

Good find 'bama. I'm pretty sure that's the location of The Fountain - now too long-gone of course - which would suggest it was a Home Ales house.

It definitely looks like the entrance to King John's Chambers further up the road, now renamed Bridlesmith Walk.

Last edited by Otis Redd'un; 03-06-18 at 00:24.

Ha, found these ticket stubbs too. The Boro ticket was the one we won 4-0 to essentially secure promotion. Hopefully a sign!

Sent from my UMI_MAX using Tapatalk

There was a very interesting and informative illustrated talk given this evening by local historian and Forest fan, Brian Howes, at Radford FC's social club in Hyson Green, about the formation of the club under the title "The Lads of The Lings". The Lings (referring to the heather that covered large areas of the land) being what the Forest was previously known as before it became a recreation ground.

Brian provided a pen-picture of almost everyone who attended the meeting upstairs in The Clinton Arms on that November evening 153-years ago to agree the formation of NFFC.

I was previously unaware that almost all of those early players were either prosperous themselves, or came from prosperous families, and most lived around the Forest Road/Arboretum/Waverley Street area, which at that time was an affluent neighbourhood, as reflected in much of the retained architecture around there. Most were also involved in the lace trade in some way, as part of family businesses or being machine owners in their own right, whilst some were still pupils at either the fee-paying High or Bluecoat schools.

This initial talk covered the period from 1865 until the late-1870s, and Brian is planning a follow-up in the spring, covering the period when the club played at the two grounds in Lenton (Gregory Street and Parkside) and then the Town Gound in the Meadows, prior to the final move across the Trent. I would highly recommend it to anyone with an interest in the club's beginnings.

Another fact from Brian that I was previously unaware of and overlooked to mention in the earlier post, was that another long-established local club, Notts Castle FC** (originally formed by a workers at a lace factory in Castle Gate), merged with Forest - apologies to IRTD if he's alread made reference to this event earlier in the thread.

** A club with solid documented evidence of its existence prior to 1865, unlike another local club which makes exaggerated claims to be the oldest in the world.

Last edited by Otis Redd'un; 09-11-18 at 12:29.

...the Liatrom Red

Quote Originally Posted by Otis Redd'un View Post
    Another fact from Brian that I was previously unaware of and overlooked to mention in the earlier post, was that another long-established local club, Notts Castle FC** (originally formed by a workers at a lace factory in Castle Gate), merged with Forest - apologies to IRTD if he's alread made reference to this event earlier in the thread.
    ...which makes it absolutely fine to refer to us as Notts Forest then doesn't it?

Where's me hammer?

** A club with solid documented evidence of its existence prior to 1865, unlike another local club which makes exaggerated claims to be the oldest in the world.
    As an older member of the forum can you remember when Notts started pushing this "eldest club bollocks?"

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    As an older member of the forum can you remember when Notts started pushing this "eldest club bollocks?"
    He's not that old

Quote Originally Posted by Roonaldo View Post
    ...which makes it absolutely fine to refer to us as Notts Forest then doesn't it?
    And also that the contested history of Notts County is the continuity between Nottingham Football Club, which was founded in 1862, the Pies, who were founded in 1864.

So both teams have a Notts/Nottingham in their early history.

We shall meet again before long to march to new triumphs - Giuseppe Garibaldi | vivit post funera virtus - Emprorer Tiberius

I was 13 when I first became aware Barry, when they were celebrating their centenary in 1962. I never thought much, or bothered about, it for a long time after then, probably until they really started banging-on about it around 15-years-or-so ago. It was then when I was made aware (by a life-long fan of them no less) that no actual documented evidence exists to support what, essentially, is nothing more than unchallenged hearsay that a Notts County Football Club was formed in 1862. There was a Nottingham Football Club and a Notts Castle Football Club in existence at that time, but neither has a link to the Sadpies, though, as I stated earlier, Notts Castle FC eventually merged with Forest.

Last edited by Otis Redd'un; 09-11-18 at 16:28.

I was 13 when I first became aware Barry, when they were celebrating their centenary in 1962. I never thought much, or bothered about, it for a long time after then, probably until they really started banging-on about it around 15-years-or-so ago. It was then when I was made aware (by a life-long fan of them no less) that no actual documented evidence exists to support what, essentially, is nothing more than unchallenged hearsay that a Notts County Football Club was formed in 1862. There was a Nottingham Football Club and a Notts Castle Football Club in existence at that time, but neither has a link to the Sadpies, though, as I stated earlier, Notts Castle FC eventually merged with Forest.
    I don't think the claim is that Notts County was formed in 1862, they accept they were founded in 1864, they have a plack on the St George's Hotel that says so.

The dispute is whether they were a continuation of Nottingham Football Club, which was founded in 1862.

They certainly had it writ large on the stand opposite the main stand when I first went in 1970 to see them play Brentford in division 4 0-0 shocking game - my dad wouldn’t let me go to see Forest as it was too rough but I sneaked to see Forest v Everton the following season and although we lost 1-0 and I think Liam O’Kane broke his leg I soon kicked Notts into touch