Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 61 of 63 FirstFirst ... 11515960616263 LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,525 of 1560

Thread: Ben Osborn Appreciation Thread

      
  1. #1501
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    21,209

    Default Re: Ben Osborn Appreciation Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by marshal99 View Post
    good that he's learning from his skilful teammates like mckay and dowell to play through balls. adding vision to his game can only help.
    Nothing to do with having more skilful players around him to make the runs and create the space that allows him to play to his ability rather than having to spend 90 minutes grafting for the team?

    This determination that Benny has not always been an excellent footballer who prioritised the needs of the team above himself is ridiculous, as is the predictable back-pedalling from the usual suspects.


  2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many

  3. #1502
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    4,840

    Default Re: Ben Osborn Appreciation Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by marshal99 View Post
    good that he's learning from his skilful teammates like mckay and dowell to play through balls. adding vision to his game can only help.
    He has always had good vision but when your passing to statues its hard to show.


  4. #1503
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,027

    Default Re: Ben Osborn Appreciation Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Wes' Organ View Post
    Nothing to do with having more skilful players around him to make the runs and create the space that allows him to play to his ability rather than having to spend 90 minutes grafting for the team?

    This determination that Benny has not always been an excellent footballer who prioritised the needs of the team above himself is ridiculous, as is the predictable back-pedalling from the usual suspects.
    Amazing how that performance can be used to try and still knock him. Just unbelievable really.


  5. #1504
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    The leafy, rarified suburb of Sneinton, Nottingham.
    Posts
    7,451

    Default Re: Ben Osborn Appreciation Thread

    A rare example of genuinely amusing irony lifted from Vital....

    Osborn, as ever, was utterly shit. Not sure whether it was one classy assist or two in the process of being shit, but he was certainly at the centre of everything good we did - while being, without doubt, shit. If you doubt that then clearly you were there.


  6. #1505
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    20,139

    Default Re: Ben Osborn Appreciation Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by marshal99 View Post
    good that he's learning from his skilful teammates like mckay and dowell to play through balls. adding vision to his game can only help.


    Good job he came through the academy as he never would have passed the medical.


  7. #1506
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    160

    Default Re: Ben Osborn Appreciation Thread

    I think there's a likely a few clubs eyeing him up for Jan. Technically our best player game in game out, I wonder if there's player statistics available for the Championship for passes/touches....Osborn must be near the top.

    I said a couple of years ago when he was starting to be played wide that it's not suited to him, he'll mature into a deeper lying pivot/metronome type player who stretches and constricts games, and look! That's what is happening. It's beyond me how so many fans fail to understand what makes a good player. Someone said earlier he's a "footballers' footballer". Yes.


  8. #1507
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Cloud Cuckoo Land
    Posts
    17,482

    Default Re: Ben Osborn Appreciation Thread

    He'll turn into a slightly more mobile David Vaughan, and that's no bad thing.

    If he could work on his defensive side a bit more that would help him lots in my opinion. As it currently stands, if Bridcutt isn't fit then you can't play Osborn in a deeper role because there's no one to clean up for him. You'd have to go with Vaughan and Bouch in that instance.

    Minor gripe though and I agree there's going to be some bids in January for him.

    Proud father of the :whoosh:

  9. #1508
    Too School for Cool
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    7th Heaven
    Posts
    7,756

    Default Re: Ben Osborn Appreciation Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiRobriguez View Post
    He'll turn into a slightly more mobile David Vaughan.
    That wouldn't be hard though would it? Even Nelson's Column is slightly more mobile than David Vaughan!

    Last edited by Bangerz; 06-11-17 at 12:36.

  10. #1509
    Impressive member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Arkham Asylum
    Posts
    6,403

    Default Re: Ben Osborn Appreciation Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Bangerz View Post
    That wouldn't be hard though would it? Even Nelson's Column is slightly more mobile than David Vaughan!
    Oliveira was merely average in comparison to Zach Clough's, I'd hardly describe it as a column.

    Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk


  11. #1510
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    4,823

    Default Re: Ben Osborn Appreciation Thread

    I think he's improved his tackling this season already. Rather than just closing down I've noticed him winning the ball more often this year.


  12. #1511

    Default Re: Ben Osborn Appreciation Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Masuka View Post
    I think he's improved his tackling this season already. Rather than just closing down I've noticed him winning the ball more often this year.
    It's almost as if he's a young player still learning & developing or something.

    Read a lot of bollocks posted on here over the years, but posts writing off our young crop constantly after a game or two - and when playing under Trotter lovers like Dougie - are one of the worst.

    “All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.”

  13. #1512
    Too School for Cool
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    7th Heaven
    Posts
    7,756

    Default Re: Ben Osborn Appreciation Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Cortez the Killer View Post
    Oliveira was merely average in comparison to Zach Clough's, I'd hardly describe it as a column.

    Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
    No, you're thinking of Nelson's buttress


  14. #1513
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Wits' End
    Posts
    6,095

    Default Re: Ben Osborn Appreciation Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiRobriguez View Post
    He'll turn into a slightly more mobile David Vaughan, and that's no bad thing.
    Did you say slightly

    I don't get the parallel to be honest, I see Vaughn as a player who dictates play from a deep lying base within a 15 yd playing circle, simple passes to colleagues to invent.

    Benny Osborns a legitimate ball carrier into the final third, takes players on, has a killer through ball & an engine that Vaughn could only dream of.

    The tempo these players play is totally different.

    Personally, Saturdays best outcome was the Vaughn dependency myth being well & truly dispelled.

    Last edited by MASE; 06-11-17 at 14:34.

  15. #1514
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Cloud Cuckoo Land
    Posts
    17,482

    Default Re: Ben Osborn Appreciation Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by MASE View Post
    Did you say slightly

    I don't get the parallel to be honest, I see Vaughn as a player who dictates play from a deep lying base within a 15 yd playing circle, simple passes to colleagues to invent.

    Benny Osborns a legitimate ball carrier into the final third, takes players on, has a killer through ball & an engine that Vaughn could only dream of.

    The tempo these players play is totally different.

    Personally, Saturdays best outcome was the Vaughn dependency myth being well & truly dispelled.
    You're judging Vaughan as he is now, when he's 34, slower, and his game has reverted to the more simple take and pass it on.

    That's not what he used to be. He used to be more box-to-box, but was always deployed from deep. That's where I was drawing the parallel - that Osborn can play from a deeper role rather than in the #10 - something that I mooted earlier on in the season and was widely disagreed with.

    And you're right, we didn't need Vaughan on Saturday - but we still had someone to collect the ball from deep and get us moving didn't we? Osborn may have played it at a slightly higher tempo but you've still got someone taking the ball in and turning it out wide. He also benefited massively from a very weak QPR side who posed no threat in midfield, which was my point a couple of posts up about still working on his defensive side if he cements a position from deep.


  16. #1515
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Wits' End
    Posts
    6,095

    Default Re: Ben Osborn Appreciation Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiRobriguez View Post
    That's where I was drawing the parallel - that Osborn can play from a deeper role rather than in the #10 - something that I mooted earlier on in the season and was widely disagreed with.
    Had similar reservations about Benny in the deep role, purely because the movement around him was gash. Without that your asking him to get from A to B using pace & physicality he just doesnt have.

    Warburton has improved the movement to the point a pro active passer of the ball like Benny can navigate his way forward using Dowell & McKay.


  17. #1516
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,027

    Default Re: Ben Osborn Appreciation Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiRobriguez View Post
    You're judging Vaughan as he is now, when he's 34, slower, and his game has reverted to the more simple take and pass it on.

    That's not what he used to be. He used to be more box-to-box, but was always deployed from deep. That's where I was drawing the parallel - that Osborn can play from a deeper role rather than in the #10 - something that I mooted earlier on in the season and was widely disagreed with.

    And you're right, we didn't need Vaughan on Saturday - but we still had someone to collect the ball from deep and get us moving didn't we? Osborn may have played it at a slightly higher tempo but you've still got someone taking the ball in and turning it out wide. He also benefited massively from a very weak QPR side who posed no threat in midfield, which was my point a couple of posts up about still working on his defensive side if he cements a position from deep.
    Quote Originally Posted by MASE View Post
    Had similar reservations about Benny in the deep role, purely because the movement around him was gash. Without that your asking him to get from A to B using pace & physicality he just doesnt have.

    Warburton has improved the movement to the point a pro active passer of the ball like Benny can navigate his way forward using Dowell & McKay.
    Agree. Think we need to see Benny do it again and again in that position.

    But if he can play like that there is no reason he can't in the future.

    There wasn't just space for him, he was also creating space for himself with lovely turns and allowing the ball to run across his body but still looking after the ball.


  18. #1517
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    20,139

    Default Re: Ben Osborn Appreciation Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Masuka View Post
    I think he's improved his tackling this season already. Rather than just closing down I've noticed him winning the ball more often this year.
    Picking up plenty of second balls too. Absolutely bust a gut a couple of times in the second half to chase back when Traore was out of position. Take note Luke Chambers.


  19. #1518
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    160

    Default Re: Ben Osborn Appreciation Thread

    Forest players who were far shitter than most fans believed at the time due to being starved of watching actual good players, #458: Luke Chambers


  20. #1519
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    20,139

    Default Re: Ben Osborn Appreciation Thread

    Yeah he’s done it against a few of the less imposing sides. I thought he was decent against Wolves as well myself but it’s certainly good he’s getting some game time in that role, let’s not forget he’s very rarely played there or the number 10 roles in competitive matches.


  21. #1520
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,027

    Default Re: Ben Osborn Appreciation Thread

    So true. Its time we as Forest fans start to have this outlook. Forget the negatives - think about the positives.

    http://www.nottinghampost.com/sport/...-do-806300.amp


  22. #1521
    Left Winger
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Stuttgart/Ruddington/Airport
    Posts
    59,136

    Default Re: Ben Osborn Appreciation Thread

    ”Whether he is in the starting line up or, alternatively, if he is on the bench, he will have been involved in every single one of Forest’s Championship fixtures for two years.”

    The boy’s a machine!

    "It is better to live one day as a lion, than one hundred years as a sheep"

  23. #1522
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,027

    Default Re: Ben Osborn Appreciation Thread

    Couple of other phrases that stick out.

    For Mark Warburton, it is too often a mentality that is forgotten in the modern game. Too much stock is now placed on what players cannot do, rather than anyone celebrating what they do have to offer.
    “I think he is. Sometimes with players, coaches, managers and supporters look for things that players can’t do,” said Warburton. “That is what people do. They say ‘he is no good with his right foot’. But his left foot might be world class.

    “They always look for a negative and people too easily overlook the tremendous work he does. Have no doubt about his quality or his contribution to the team. His awareness, his movement, his dynamism – there are so many positives from Ben Osborn.

    “Every player has flaws; every player has a weakness. But too often people are too quick to look for a negative.

    “He is appreciated by his teammates and by the staff but the good thing about him is that he has a strong character regardless. He has a desire to improve day on day.”




  24. #1523
    Devils favourite advocate
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    36,693

    Default Re: Ben Osborn Appreciation Thread

    Good management that...realilses he has been caught on the ball a handful of times this season costing us goals so goes on the offensive with the positives.

    Hopefully someone behind the scenes has done the bad cop bit.


  25. #1524

    Default Re: Ben Osborn Appreciation Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by chriscl View Post
    ”Whether he is in the starting line up or, alternatively, if he is on the bench, he will have been involved in every single one of Forest’s Championship fixtures for two years.”

    The boy’s a machine!
    Similar to Morgan, the amount which some fans underestimatte the value of an ever present is baffling at times.

    Then they'll moan we only ever sign biscuits


  26. #1525

    Default Re: Ben Osborn Appreciation Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Good management that...realilses he has been caught on the ball a handful of times this season costing us goals so goes on the offensive with the positives.

    Hopefully someone behind the scenes has done the bad cop bit.
    Good shout.

    That for me is why Osborn's still very much learning his trade, and - in my eyes - partly a "youth" player still. Yep he's got a lot of experience compared to others now, but he's only really just transgressing from lad to man in terms of footy development at his level, and is still in need of schooling.


 

 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •