Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 61 of 61 FirstFirst ... 1151596061
Results 1,501 to 1,519 of 1519

Thread: Ben Osborn Appreciation Thread

Default Re: Ben Osborn Appreciation Thread

Quote Originally Posted by marshal99 View Post
    good that he's learning from his skilful teammates like mckay and dowell to play through balls. adding vision to his game can only help.
    Nothing to do with having more skilful players around him to make the runs and create the space that allows him to play to his ability rather than having to spend 90 minutes grafting for the team?

This determination that Benny has not always been an excellent footballer who prioritised the needs of the team above himself is ridiculous, as is the predictable back-pedalling from the usual suspects.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

good that he's learning from his skilful teammates like mckay and dowell to play through balls. adding vision to his game can only help.
    He has always had good vision but when your passing to statues its hard to show.

Quote Originally Posted by Wes' Organ View Post
    Nothing to do with having more skilful players around him to make the runs and create the space that allows him to play to his ability rather than having to spend 90 minutes grafting for the team?

This determination that Benny has not always been an excellent footballer who prioritised the needs of the team above himself is ridiculous, as is the predictable back-pedalling from the usual suspects.
    Amazing how that performance can be used to try and still knock him. Just unbelievable really.

The leafy, rarified suburb of Sneinton, Nottingham.

A rare example of genuinely amusing irony lifted from Vital....

Osborn, as ever, was utterly shit. Not sure whether it was one classy assist or two in the process of being shit, but he was certainly at the centre of everything good we did - while being, without doubt, shit. If you doubt that then clearly you were there.

Good job he came through the academy as he never would have passed the medical.

I think there's a likely a few clubs eyeing him up for Jan. Technically our best player game in game out, I wonder if there's player statistics available for the Championship for passes/touches....Osborn must be near the top.

I said a couple of years ago when he was starting to be played wide that it's not suited to him, he'll mature into a deeper lying pivot/metronome type player who stretches and constricts games, and look! That's what is happening. It's beyond me how so many fans fail to understand what makes a good player. Someone said earlier he's a "footballers' footballer". Yes.

He'll turn into a slightly more mobile David Vaughan, and that's no bad thing.

If he could work on his defensive side a bit more that would help him lots in my opinion. As it currently stands, if Bridcutt isn't fit then you can't play Osborn in a deeper role because there's no one to clean up for him. You'd have to go with Vaughan and Bouch in that instance.

Minor gripe though and I agree there's going to be some bids in January for him.

Proud father of the :whoosh:

Rose-Coloured Boy

Quote Originally Posted by MaxiRobriguez View Post
    He'll turn into a slightly more mobile David Vaughan.
    That wouldn't be hard though would it? Even Nelson's Column is slightly more mobile than David Vaughan!

Last edited by Bangerz; 06-11-17 at 12:36.

Impressive member

Quote Originally Posted by Bangerz View Post
    That wouldn't be hard though would it? Even Nelson's Column is slightly more mobile than David Vaughan!
    Oliveira was merely average in comparison to Zach Clough's, I'd hardly describe it as a column.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

I think he's improved his tackling this season already. Rather than just closing down I've noticed him winning the ball more often this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Masuka View Post
    I think he's improved his tackling this season already. Rather than just closing down I've noticed him winning the ball more often this year.
    It's almost as if he's a young player still learning & developing or something.

Read a lot of bollocks posted on here over the years, but posts writing off our young crop constantly after a game or two - and when playing under Trotter lovers like Dougie - are one of the worst.

“All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.”

Rose-Coloured Boy

Quote Originally Posted by Cortez the Killer View Post
    Oliveira was merely average in comparison to Zach Clough's, I'd hardly describe it as a column.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
    No, you're thinking of Nelson's buttress

He'll turn into a slightly more mobile David Vaughan, and that's no bad thing.
    Did you say slightly

I don't get the parallel to be honest, I see Vaughn as a player who dictates play from a deep lying base within a 15 yd playing circle, simple passes to colleagues to invent.

Benny Osborns a legitimate ball carrier into the final third, takes players on, has a killer through ball & an engine that Vaughn could only dream of.

The tempo these players play is totally different.

Personally, Saturdays best outcome was the Vaughn dependency myth being well & truly dispelled.

Last edited by MASE; 06-11-17 at 14:34.

Quote Originally Posted by MASE View Post
    Did you say slightly

I don't get the parallel to be honest, I see Vaughn as a player who dictates play from a deep lying base within a 15 yd playing circle, simple passes to colleagues to invent.

Benny Osborns a legitimate ball carrier into the final third, takes players on, has a killer through ball & an engine that Vaughn could only dream of.

The tempo these players play is totally different.

Personally, Saturdays best outcome was the Vaughn dependency myth being well & truly dispelled.
    You're judging Vaughan as he is now, when he's 34, slower, and his game has reverted to the more simple take and pass it on.

That's not what he used to be. He used to be more box-to-box, but was always deployed from deep. That's where I was drawing the parallel - that Osborn can play from a deeper role rather than in the #10 - something that I mooted earlier on in the season and was widely disagreed with.

And you're right, we didn't need Vaughan on Saturday - but we still had someone to collect the ball from deep and get us moving didn't we? Osborn may have played it at a slightly higher tempo but you've still got someone taking the ball in and turning it out wide. He also benefited massively from a very weak QPR side who posed no threat in midfield, which was my point a couple of posts up about still working on his defensive side if he cements a position from deep.

That's where I was drawing the parallel - that Osborn can play from a deeper role rather than in the #10 - something that I mooted earlier on in the season and was widely disagreed with.
    Had similar reservations about Benny in the deep role, purely because the movement around him was gash. Without that your asking him to get from A to B using pace & physicality he just doesnt have.

Warburton has improved the movement to the point a pro active passer of the ball like Benny can navigate his way forward using Dowell & McKay.

You're judging Vaughan as he is now, when he's 34, slower, and his game has reverted to the more simple take and pass it on.

That's not what he used to be. He used to be more box-to-box, but was always deployed from deep. That's where I was drawing the parallel - that Osborn can play from a deeper role rather than in the #10 - something that I mooted earlier on in the season and was widely disagreed with.

And you're right, we didn't need Vaughan on Saturday - but we still had someone to collect the ball from deep and get us moving didn't we? Osborn may have played it at a slightly higher tempo but you've still got someone taking the ball in and turning it out wide. He also benefited massively from a very weak QPR side who posed no threat in midfield, which was my point a couple of posts up about still working on his defensive side if he cements a position from deep.
    Quote Originally Posted by MASE View Post
    Had similar reservations about Benny in the deep role, purely because the movement around him was gash. Without that your asking him to get from A to B using pace & physicality he just doesnt have.

Warburton has improved the movement to the point a pro active passer of the ball like Benny can navigate his way forward using Dowell & McKay.
    Agree. Think we need to see Benny do it again and again in that position.

But if he can play like that there is no reason he can't in the future.

There wasn't just space for him, he was also creating space for himself with lovely turns and allowing the ball to run across his body but still looking after the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Masuka View Post
    Picking up plenty of second balls too. Absolutely bust a gut a couple of times in the second half to chase back when Traore was out of position. Take note Luke Chambers.

Forest players who were far shitter than most fans believed at the time due to being starved of watching actual good players, #458: Luke Chambers

Yeah he’s done it against a few of the less imposing sides. I thought he was decent against Wolves as well myself but it’s certainly good he’s getting some game time in that role, let’s not forget he’s very rarely played there or the number 10 roles in competitive matches.