Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 2 of 63 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Ben Osborn Appreciation Thread

Default Re: Ben Osborn Appreciation Thread

Quote Originally Posted by cms186 View Post
    I think his skill set would really suit him being played as the most attacking of a central 3 in midfield

This is where he will really shine I think, he is able and willing to do the nasty stuff but his talents lay further forward for me

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by UndisclosedFee View Post
    It's interesting isn't it. I agree with what you say about high pressure games like Derby; It got me thinking "how many games are really high pressure?". Leeds maybe, Wednesday maybe, and teams who are pushing for top 2. I would say teams that are good at keeping the ball and passing it around (Bournemouth, Watford, etc.), except that his skill set is well suited for those games, and it might help disrupt the opposition's game plan.

My conclusion is that he's good enough to fight for a place in the team for most matches, rather than go out on loan.
    Definitely. I'd much sooner he feature as often as possible this season, I'd just personally limit those chances to times in games where the pressure aint on. He performs well then, like he did back end of last season, and I think it'll work out better all round that way IMO, keeping him fresh and as an ace up the sleeve towards the back end of the season too.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieLePop View Post
    There's no other game like Derby which brings out the ridiculously dangerous tackles and the stupid high pressing game from minute one.

I don't know why we get dragged into it every year, wish we'd just play our normal game (or, if it's deemed a good thing, play like that for other fixtures).
    True. I would say that top of the table clashes can bring a bit of an overwhelmed mindset to games too for some.

Still plenty to work on but he has the raw ingredients there thats for sure. He gets caught with the ball a little too much for my liking at times but he will improve that aspect.

Quote Originally Posted by Alf-Hasawi View Post
    Definitely. I'd much sooner he feature as often as possible this season, I'd just personally limit those chances to times in games where the pressure aint on. He performs well then, like he did back end of last season, and I think it'll work out better all round that way IMO, keeping him fresh and as an ace up the sleeve towards the back end of the season too.
    Maybe SP should have a policy of always putting him on the bench, and whenever Lansbury gets a card, he gets replaced by Osborn. That way, maybe Lansbury will sort out his indiscipline, and Osborn will get much needed experience.

Looking Hairy

Let's not get too carried away. He was superb last night but he's got a long, long way to go. He's winning me over right now but there's every chance he turns into another midfield with a great engine but little final product. Expectation can be the death of a player like that.

I like his off-the-ball play, he's quicker to close down the opposition than anyone. There's a lot of very good attributes to his game; his decision making and passing consistency definitely need to improve but he has time, first-team opportunities and a manager renowned for developing young players on his side.

I almost shat meself when that one hit the bar last night. That would have been something special.

Osborn is a water carrier , he's not one who will dominate game but he will help to move the ball along , cover the opposition and put in a few tackles here and there , if he can improve his attacking play and general goalscoring , he could be a first team player in the future.

Immense last night.

I'm glad the conversation about him going out on loan has quickly vanished, always baffled me that.

Quote Originally Posted by nffc13 View Post
    Immense last night.

I'm glad the conversation about him going out on loan has quickly vanished, always baffled me that.
    Personally , I think he and grant should go on loan. His development can only improve with regular first team games in a competitive environment , much like Louis laing is doing right now. Don't think he should be first team at forest as yet even if he did well yesterday.

He's a better version than Raddi that's for sure. He plays a slightly different role, just needs to pick the right pass. Time is on his side!

Quote Originally Posted by marshal99 View Post
    Personally , I think he and grant should go on loan. His development can only improve with regular first team games in a competitive environment , much like Louis laing is doing right now. Don't think he should be first team at forest as yet even if he did well yesterday.
    I think he'll improve by having better players around him, I think that's the best way to develop Osborn.

Only had to see yesterday for example. Stood tall as a player against better players. I think he's better off sacrificing the experience of a few League 1 starts for playing with better players. Reckon that's how Pearce sees it too.

Agree. Matt Thornhill looked a decent prospect but was sent out on loan and it didn't really work. For players that are obviously quite talented, the best place for them is in the first team squad. If we were a Prem team, then loaning him out to a Championship club would be fine but he is clearly good enough for this level at least so why drop him down to a poorer level, he won't learn anything.

Quote Originally Posted by adam09 View Post
    Agree. Matt Thornhill looked a decent prospect but was sent out on loan and it didn't really work. For players that are obviously quite talented, the best place for them is in the first team squad. If we were a Prem team, then loaning him out to a Championship club would be fine but he is clearly good enough for this level at least so why drop him down to a poorer level, he won't learn anything.

Spot on. He'll only learn how to be a big fish in a small pond, and that's the mentality that the players we got rid of took, and obviously too many egos like that caused mediocrity.

I'm stunned more people don't rate him very highly. There seems to be a stupidly high benchmark for any kid who comes out of our youth team, yet any bearded numpty with a transfer fee and a youtube highlights video gets hero-worshipped.

Sure he makes a few mistakes but show me a player who doesn't. To nit-pick at the few times he's tackled or passes to no one just increases the pressure that he should be flawless.

When it is a young kid we point out his mistakes and tell him what he should be doing. When it is a senior pro brought in for money we say its not his crosses that are shit its the other players who can't read them. Get behind the lad with a bit of positivity.

For his age Ben Osborn is the best prospect down here for years and I am seriously worried after last night's performance that he'll be off up a division sooner rather than later.

Massive Member

I think people are just trying to stay grounded mate. We aren't scousers after all.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieLePop View Post
    Osbourghan?
    Osbaughan
    Ozbourne
    Osbawn

I thank you

He was excellent last night in the main. He will improve a lot too....

Massive Member

Ozzy ozzy ozzy oi oi oi?

Anyone see the 2 occasions he did that one trick ? Once almost in a left back position and the other wide right. He back heeled it on to his left foot, then quickly shifted it forwards to beat his marker. The madness of it was that it worked when he was in the defensive position and not in the attacking where it just ran out.

Also dropped the shoulder when fetching the ball deep to fake he was going to move back to the defence but moved forwards. The Spurs player actually started running towards our goal

He even tried the Zidane twist around the edge of the box and it nearly came off but there were too many bodies. Seem to remember him doing it v Brum was it at the CG last season too.

Tried to transfer from left behind right to get to right side and vice versa and that has always been one of his most reliable moves but it didn't come off surprisingly. That was when he got caught in possession a couple of times.

Always been a good dribbler and that ability to knock it around the defender and nearly scoring was genious.

We cannot argue if he has the skills in his locker, because he seems to back himself and it has come off. I really do think that is exciting. We need to produce players with x-factor in England.

He never shied away from the ball, always asked for it. Made interceptions, pressed and when he lost the ball always burst a gut to get back.

There were many encouraging signs last night.

I've been trying to think who he reminds me of and its funny because he has been left-back, wide-left, number 10, deep in mf etc. Thought Reid a bit, then some say Scholes but the one that has finally stuck for me is Archie Gemmill.

* PS probably the only player that didn't fade either and lasted 90 minutes.

Last edited by BryanRoy; 25-09-14 at 16:03.

Had a good game last night, altogether though I don't see him anything more than being an effective squad player in the future. Doesn't have a great range of passing, doesn't dominate games, no kaiser when defending. The term 'water carrier' what someone before sums him up to a tee.

Not trying to piss on the parade, I would love to see him develop into a top notch centre midfielder. More performances like last night will change my opinion in time however.

Too close to Derby but still an NG postcode

At the moment he is somewhere between Thornhill and Williams talent wise. I like him and see him as a busy little player. Strange but he always seems to play better when I see him away from the city ground.

Think Osborn being classed as a water carrier at the age of 20 is a bit premature let the guy develop and we will see,beating 2 or 3 premier league player,s and almost scoring a brilliant solo goal shows he has the potential to be more than a water carrier surely.

Massive Member

Where did the term water carrier come from? Ridiculous

Have to say he did well last night. I would also add that him coming on against Bournemouth helped us turn that game around to get a win. As has been pointed out he's not afraid to do the dirty work.

Do we have a chant for him yet? I think I might have one but it might be a little rubbish.

winnits

He might have a good game
    We'll still misspell his name
    Ben Osborn
    Whoa-oh-oh
    Ben Osborn
    Whoa-oh-oh

I think mine is better tbh.

Osborn wo-oahhhh
    Osborn wo-ahhhhh