Page 1 of 61 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Ben Osborn Appreciation Thread

Default Ben Osborn Appreciation Thread

What a player. Discuss.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Massive Member

Default Re: Ben Osborn Appreciation Thread

Going to be an asset. Still not quite an established player when everyone is fit, but very nice to see we have talented young players. Let's not Raheem Sterling him quite just yet though.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos View Post
    Going to be an asset. Still not quite an established player when everyone is fit, but very nice to see we have talented young players. Let's not Raheem Sterling him quite just yet though.
    Damn you and your level headed posts!

I like him a lot he has such a low centre of gravity and is really mobile, he could do with better decision making sometimes and to be a tad more leaner he's not fat or unfit but if he could tone out a bit or put on a bit of muscle then I think he would be incredible. His effort today that hit the bar made me squeal like girl thanks Ben.

Last edited by EmmersonForest4; 25-09-14 at 01:11.

Massive Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rzarecteh View Post
    Damn you and your level headed posts!
    sorry mate.

He needs a better haircut, he looks like a lego man.

Agree with above, he's very simple and effective, can tell he's only 20 as perhaps he occasionally thinks he has longer than he really does, and is also guilty of occasionally forcing a pass, but in the main, brilliant left foot, very comnposed, tight footwork, can intercept well and he will score goals as he grows more and more confident because he strikes the ball brilliantly.

Keep doing as we're doing with him.

I know this is a massive call, but he reminds me of a young Paul Scholes. I've only seen him on TV but I think he'll surpass McGugan, Prutton and possibly Jenas. He's very very good.

Not fully sold yet. As others have pointed out, his decision making is a little slow and he can get caught out. Only natural for a young lad still adapting to the pace of the first team, but as a four foot eight, six stone player, he either has to have a fantastic passing range or be able to carry the ball and he's not top drawer at either yet.

Was about the only positive at the back end of last season but the realist in me says not quite ready to be a regular in a team competing for promotion.

Proud father of the :whoosh:

Massive Member

I don't want us over rating him purely because if he does (and he will) have a couple of stinkers he will be slaughtered. Way too early to tell with him yet. We took the piss out of Will Hughes, lets not make that mistake here.

Just let the young lad quietly develop and we will see next season.

Nice to be having this discussion about one of our youngsters though.

I think his skill set would really suit him being played as the most attacking of a central 3 in midfield

He was brilliant today. Exactly what you want to see from a youngster. Able to provide solid backup to the midfield off the bench, or to cover injury/suspensions.

and once again, fifa dismisses his potential and puts a generic potential on him. 74 my arse.

There are times where he looks good, but there have been too many occasions I've watched him at the City Ground and he's made such poor mistakes like turning into trouble, not being aware of opponents around him and some very clumsy passes.
    I think Pearce can only continue to feature him if he really wants to develop him, but if we're mounting a serious promotion challenge this season then we shouldn't be starting Osborn IMO.

Massive Member

With you mate about 80% anyway. He's not quite there yet, we don't want to sound like the scousers banging on about sterling who apparently is better than Messi and Ronaldo at 19.

He had a very good half but like a lot of youngsters who start games he was over run in the last 20 minutes.
    I would like to see him attack space more like he did last night. I agree pass selection and his reading of the game needs to improve. Like most I agree he shouldn't be playing as first choice but is a decent option off the bench and provides decent squad cover. Last night showed his confidence is developing which can only increase his rate of development.

He did great last night, after he had the shot that hit the bar...

Before that he was giving the ball away and turning into trouble a lot...

I thought he'd have a good game last night, as Prem teams allow you a little bit more space to play and he's certainly got a bit of class about him...

Good prospect.

Andy Reid is 32. I think it's fabulous that we have a ready-made home-grown replacement.

Osborn. Osborne. Osbourne. Any advancement on Osbourne?

Osbourghan?

Work in progress, but progressing nicely. Needs to keep featuring in games like last night where the pressure's off and he can find/express himself for a bit longer before featuring in higher pressure affairs ala Derby.

Given time he'll be a very good player if he continues as he is.

Quote Originally Posted by ollyman View Post
    He did great last night, after he had the shot that hit the bar...

Before that he was giving the ball away and turning into trouble a lot...

I thought he'd have a good game last night, as Prem teams allow you a little bit more space to play and he's certainly got a bit of class about him...

Good prospect.
    That's what I thought, he was terrible until he had that shot hit the bar, then he seemed to gain a lot of self confidence and belief in himself.

Quote Originally Posted by tropix View Post
    Osborn. Osborne. Osbourne. Any advancement on Osbourne?
    ě$b0˙rn€

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran View Post
    ě$b0˙rn€
    That makes me want to change my name to Osbourne.

Quote Originally Posted by cms186 View Post
    I think his skill set would really suit him being played as the most attacking of a central 3 in midfield
    Can you imagine being a centre back and having to deal with the energy of Antonio, Assombalonga, Paterson AND Osborn? Assuming we could get the ball to them, it could be a nightmare for the opposition.

Quote Originally Posted by Alf-Hasawi View Post
    Work in progress, but progressing nicely. Needs to keep featuring in games like last night where the pressure's off and he can find/express himself for a bit longer before featuring in higher pressure affairs ala Derby.

Given time he'll be a very good player if he continues as he is.
    It's interesting isn't it. I agree with what you say about high pressure games like Derby; It got me thinking "how many games are really high pressure?". Leeds maybe, Wednesday maybe, and teams who are pushing for top 2. I would say teams that are good at keeping the ball and passing it around (Bournemouth, Watford, etc.), except that his skill set is well suited for those games, and it might help disrupt the opposition's game plan.

My conclusion is that he's good enough to fight for a place in the team for most matches, rather than go out on loan.

There's no other game like Derby which brings out the ridiculously dangerous tackles and the stupid high pressing game from minute one.

I don't know why we get dragged into it every year, wish we'd just play our normal game (or, if it's deemed a good thing, play like that for other fixtures).