Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The old Manchester City FC

The Foam Hand

Default The old Manchester City FC

Saw this documentary when it came out and found it recently. Itís a huge contrast to what Man City are now.
    Some interesting footage, funny seeing Moss Side in the early 80ís and Tommy Catons hair!
    Itís a six part doc so if youíre interested just go through the other parts

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: The old Manchester City FC

Definately gonna give this a watch.

Account removed

Quote Originally Posted by Bryn Gunn View Post
    Saw this documentary when it came out and found it recently. It’s a huge contrast to what Man City are now.
    Some interesting footage, funny seeing Moss Side in the early 80’s and Tommy Catons hair!
    It’s a six part doc so if you’re interested just go through the other parts

Indeed.

For many younger fans who have only ever known the Premier League, it must sound outlandish that such a big club in the modern era fell so far.

I remember Notts County playing them in the FA Cup in the late 90's and County were the big team and City a mere Division 3 team in reality.

Then again, out of the current Premier League teams both Sheffield United and Wolves have graced the old fourth division since the 80's, while Man City, Bournemouth and Watford have been as low as the third division, just like Forest.

Burnley and Brighton were div four in the 80s and 90s too. Both stayed in the league on the final day of the season at their lowest point.

The Foam Hand

Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    Indeed.

For many younger fans who have only ever known the Premier League, it must sound outlandish that such a big club in the modern era fell so far.

I remember Notts County playing them in the FA Cup in the late 90's and County were the big team and City a mere Division 3 team in reality.

Then again, out of the current Premier League teams both Sheffield United and Wolves have graced the old fourth division since the 80's, while Man City, Bournemouth and Watford have been as low as the third division, just like Forest.
    I remember that game at Meadow Lane, City took loads, wasn’t it wintertime?

A lot of football fans had a soft spot for City at one time, they were the eternal underachievers with great support and history.

A lot of football fans had a soft spot for City at one time, they were the eternal underachievers with great support and history.
    I attended that game with a City pal of mine and a Sheep shagger too.

The Foam Hand

Quote Originally Posted by rockabilly View Post
    I attended that game with a City pal of mine and a Sheep shagger too.
    Was it this one?

Account removed

Beginning of January, FA Cup third round, might have been then fourth round actually.

Last edited by Account Deleted; 19-01-20 at 23:25.

Was it this one?

Yes...
    My dad worked with Neil Warnock at Notts... got us free tickets. I was also dating a lass that sold programmes at Forest and County. She was a County fan.I used to watch Notts home games a lot back in those days. ( Don't tell Otis)

The Foam Hand

Quote Originally Posted by rockabilly View Post
    I used to watch Notts home games a lot back in those days. ( Don't tell Otis)
    I used to like watching Notts as well, but Otis put onto the righteous path of hatred.

I used to like watching Notts as well, but Otis put onto the righteous path of hatred.

Fifth Rnd. County were in a league below in div 2, City were div 1, for that one. City hit the woodwork several times before Gary Lund shinned in from an open goal in the last minute.

The Foam Hand

Quote Originally Posted by Francis Benali (on loan) View Post
    Fifth Rnd. County were in a league below in div 2, City were div 1, for that one. City hit the woodwork several times before Gary Lund shinned in from an open goal in the last minute.
    Yeah, and I bet you were there, with your wooden rattle and ‘County for the Cup’ rosette. I’m telling Otis.

Account removed

There you go then, not as my useless memory remembers.

1991!!

Where's the time gone.

Last edited by Account Deleted; 19-01-20 at 23:45.

Yeah, and I bet you were there, with your wooden rattle and ‘County for the Cup’ rosette. I’m telling Otis.
    Nah, my Dad had mostly given up on me being a County fan by then. I still got to go to Wembley for play off final against Brighton though. I was at most of the Forest FA Cup games instead that season. As they were on top of the season tickets, I wasn't getting County as well.. Think Forest were still playing Newcastle in the 4th Round that week, because of all those replays and postponements against Palace in the 3rd Round.

What a year for Nottingham in the FA Cup. Must be the most games the two Nottingham sides have played between them in a single year of the competition.

County took the lead at Spurs in the QF. Gascoigne should have been sent off in that one too, for an elbow.

The Foam Hand

Nah, my Dad had mostly given up on me being a County fan by then. I still got to go to Wembley for play off final against Brighton though. I was at most of the Forest FA Cup games instead that season. As they were on top of the season tickets, I wasn't getting County as well.. Think Forest were still playing Newcastle in the 4th Round that week, because of all those replays and postponements against Palace in the 3rd Round.

What a year for Nottingham in the FA Cup. Must be the most games the two Nottingham sides have played between them in a single year of the competition.

County took the lead at Spurs in the QF. Gascoigne should have been sent off in that one too, for an elbow.
    Sure, sure.

Just kidding

I remember that game at Spurs, County took a good following.

Account removed

Sure, sure.

Just kidding

I remember that game at Spurs, County took a good following.
    I was there for it.

I'm sure Francis' encylopedic memory will correct me if I'm wrong but Don O'Riodan opened the scoring for County and the "wheelbarrow" song came into existence.

O'Riordan scored a belter in that match.

The wheelbarrow song I believe goes back to League Cup first round match a couple of years before. A few Notts fans stood on a terrace at Shrewsbury watching a 3-0 defeat. One fan came up the wheelbarrow song to sum up the situation and it stuck. At least that's how I remember it being explained at the time. Makes sense it being that game, I was going then and it was around that time it started..

Does anyone else remember going to Maine Road on January 1st 1972, the season we were relegated and drawing 2-2 with City. It was the season Francis Lee went into the the penalty area fell over and won a penalty.Paul Richardson and Neil Martin scored for Forest and both times Lee did his dying swan impression. Never mind we more than got them back a couple of years later on a Sunday afternoon at the City Ground in the 4th round of the cup. For years later Willie Donachie used to wake at night in a cold sweat having dreamt again that Duncan McKenzie was making him look a twat in front of 41000 people

Account removed

The wheelbarrow song I believe goes back to League Cup first round match a couple of years before. A few Notts fans stood on a terrace at Shrewsbury watching a 3-0 defeat. One fan came up the wheelbarrow song to sum up the situation and it stuck. At least that's how I remember it being explained at the time. Makes sense it being that game, I was going then and it was around that time it started..
    As ever, you are correct Francis.

Time to stand in the dunces corner once again!

There you go then, not as my useless memory remembers.

1991!!

Where's the time gone.
    Bought my bookshop in 1991 because I thought I had better get a move on as I was getting old at 49!!

Indeed, where has the time gone.

I remember us playing City in a night match. The days of Summerbee and Lee. We had Terry Hennessey Baker and Wignall that era. Worst bunch of cheating bastards I'd seen at the City ground. The referee was so one sided someone ran on the pitch and tried to chin him.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Lefkasman View Post
    I remember us playing City in a night match. The days of Summerbee and Lee. We had Terry Hennessey Baker and Wignall that era. Worst bunch of cheating bastards I'd seen at the City ground. The referee was so one sided someone ran on the pitch and tried to chin him.

About that time I remember Frannie Lee being sent of at the CG in a night match? Same game?

I fell in love with football as I was later to fall in love with women,. Suddenly, uncritically giving no thought to the pain it could bring. - Nick Hornby

Indeed.

Bournemouth nearly went out the league at one point. Villa were in the old third division too in the 70’s wasn’t it?

Quote Originally Posted by alabamared View Post
    About that time I remember Frannie Lee being sent of at the CG in a night match? Same game?
    Could have been but I can't remember. It was a right niggly night.