Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Danny Fox Appreciation Thread

Massive Member

Default The Danny Fox Appreciation Thread

It seems in our turn of opinion on Dan Harding, Fox has slotted into the scapegoat position, which i think is completely unfair on him. He has started the season not playing in his favoured position and is adapting, He was good enough at Southampton and is plenty good enough here. I can understand the upset at the goal at Bolton but if you look he wasn't the only defender there and Darlow was stood there with his finger in his backside.

He is handy with set pieces and was exactly the type of left back we wanted last year after Cohen broke. He gets forward and can play a decent ball.

It seems we've ceased Harding bashing and began Fox Hunting. All massively unfair on a player who has been thrown in at the deep end and has to adapt to a relatively new position at the start of the season.

I'm not having a pop at Harding here but as left backs go, they are both very capable at this level, Fox as a CB just doesn't look quite right but I will put up with it as SP is a lot more qualified and experienced than all of us here.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: The Danny Fox Appreciation Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos View Post
    It seems in our turn of opinion on Dan Harding, Fox has slotted into the scapegoat position, which i think is completely unfair on him. He has started the season not playing in his favoured position and is adapting, He was good enough at Southampton and is plenty good enough here. I can understand the upset at the goal at Bolton but if you look he wasn't the only defender there and Darlow was stood there with his finger in his backside.

He is handy with set pieces and was exactly the type of left back we wanted last year after Cohen broke. He gets forward and can play a decent ball.

It seems we've ceased Harding bashing and began Fox Hunting. All massively unfair on a player who has been thrown in at the deep end and has to adapt to a relatively new position at the start of the season.

I'm not having a pop at Harding here but as left backs go, they are both very capable at this level, Fox as a CB just doesn't look quite right but I will put up with it as SP is a lot more qualified and experienced than all of us here.
    He wasn't good enough for Southampton which is why they let him go. In all fairness, I don't think he's being 'hunted' by the majority. Take away the school boy error and i think its more about recognising there's better players within the squad to take his place once everyone is fit.

Massive Member

Southampton also got promoted. ..

Agreed.

Fox has the potential to be our Leighton Baines, I fully expect him now he's settled at the club and when he gets a regular run at left back with the first XI (something he didn't have because of injuries last season) to show his class.

I've a feeling Harding is doing a Chambers - putting together some above-average performances which, because he was so bad before, make him appear to have finally 'got it'. Couple of goals from corners and he'll win POTY.

lol

Quote Originally Posted by Njaal Helle View Post
    Agreed.

Fox has the potential to be our Leighton Baines, I fully expect him now he's settled at the club and when he gets a regular run at left back with the first XI (something he didn't have because of injuries last season) to show his class.

I've a feeling Harding is doing a Chambers - putting together some above-average performances which, because he was so bad before, make him appear to have finally 'got it'. Couple of goals from corners and he'll win POTY.
    Agree. Fox just needs time as he isnt a center half by choice

One thing that has impressed me about Fox at CB is his 40 yard sprayed passes to an advancing Jack Hunt. Used that quite a lot. Won't be natural for a right-footed CB at playing on the left side to do it, will take them a few more seconds to measure it up, by which time the opposition left back has read the situation.

He's done well, other than Saturday. Got a feeling the oppo will continue to target us at set pieces if he continues to play though. Lascelles/Wilson/Hobbs a lot better for that.

Not that type of player

I like Fox - good composure and a good passer. I can see why SP wanted to use him at CB because, like Mancienne (and Wilson if he's ever fit again), he's comfortable in possession and can begin attacks from the back.
    I imagine once everyone is fit Cohen and Fox will compete for the LB slot, although both have shown that they can be flexible. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Fox used in left midfield sometimes.

Stand Firm And Strike Hard

All players make mistakes, Danny made a silly one at the weekend, only the players who do it regularly are the ones you get shot of. Danny Fox isn't in that category. Yet.

Best served cold

Other than the mistake for the second goal at Bolton, Fox has looked very good at CB so far.

"I've been blessed with many things in this life: an arm like a damn rocket, a c**k like a burmese python, and the mind of a f**king scientist" - Kenny Powers

Moan moan moan moan moan moan moan ad infinitum

So non of our players are below top 2 standard then! I expect Pearce to finish top two at least. That aside there are some average players in our squad. The point is whether you can better out there for a reasonable price and whether the average players are trusted to play back up. IMO Fox is a decent LB back up player same as Harding, in big games these players could cost us. It's very unfair to judge fox on his forest future with him playing CB.

Last edited by EmmersonForest4; 19-08-14 at 16:38.

Down with this sort of thing

Two wrongs don't make a right. Neither thread should exist really, save the high praise for those that deserve it

Massive Member

They both deserve it. It's turned into a Fox v Harding debate which is unfair on both

It's testament to Danny that I'd rather have him than Collins at centre half. And that's been another pleasing thing about this season so far, that a fully fit Collins has played 0 minutes for us so far.

Haven't particularly seen this to be honest.

Even so in my book he is nowhere near good enough at centre half. The goal was horrendous against Bolton, almost unforgivable but if you look beyond that he's struggling in the position. I thought that after the Blackpool game to be honest. Don't get me wrong the lad is out of position in a time of need and that I do remember so I'm not saying get rid or anything. Just he isn't a good enough centre half.

At left back, well he isn't the best one we have, I think Cohen is and I don't see Harding as too far off his standard to be honest.

I was surprised we went through and took him on in the summer, because as far as I saw last season he wasn't good enough in my eyes.

Massive Member

Quote Originally Posted by mouldynffc View Post
    Haven't particularly seen this to be honest.

Even so in my book he is nowhere near good enough at centre half. The goal was horrendous against Bolton, almost unforgivable but if you look beyond that he's struggling in the position. I thought that after the Blackpool game to be honest. Don't get me wrong the lad is out of position in a time of need and that I do remember so I'm not saying get rid or anything. Just he isn't a good enough centre half.

At left back, well he isn't the best one we have, I think Cohen is and I don't see Harding as too far off his standard to be honest.

I was surprised we went through and took him on in the summer, because as far as I saw last season he wasn't good enough in my eyes.
    Unforgivable? Bit strong for someones 3rd game in a new position.

Unforgivable? Bit strong for someones 3rd game in a new position.
    You don't think a Sunday league player would have managed to deal with that?

Like I said he's not a centre half I accept that. Mistakes like that though are not acceptable from anyone that enters the field of play in a professional capacity IMO.

Massive Member

Quote Originally Posted by mouldynffc View Post
    You don't think a Sunday league player would have managed to deal with that?

Like I said he's not a centre half I accept that. Mistakes like that though are not acceptable from anyone that enters the field of play in a professional capacity IMO.
    Every player makes a mistake. Look at the Premier League last season. Of course it's forgivable.

Every player makes a mistake. Look at the Premier League last season. Of course it's forgivable.
    Like I said I'm not saying get rid I'm saying get him out of that position. The error alone is forgivable but in general terms I don't think he's good enough to play centre half and that centres around what I saw against Blackpool. The Bolton error just doesn't help the cause!

It's desperate times at centre back but we have Mancienne available tonight and him and Hobbs would be a must if it were me picking a team to play. Fox at LB is another question altogether.

Massive Member

SP likes him there. I think we're straying into djebbour territory by saying he's no good there. It's only game 4 tonight lets see what psycho sees

Quote Originally Posted by incapable hulk View Post
    Other than the mistake for the second goal at Bolton, Fox has looked very good at CB so far.
    If i'm honest, i think it was Darlow's mistake. Any good keeper would come and command a loose ball like that, and although he's a good shot stopper, his all-round game is pretty poor. It was exactly the same scenario as Ulloa's goal in the last game of last season. I went to watch WBA in pre-season and went to Blackpool and Fox, for me, was one of the best players on both occasions. He's surprisingly good in the air, reads danger very well, loves a tackle and his passing from the back was a constant threat. He also has great experience at this level has played in the Premier League, and if he hits free kicks like the one against Tranmere i can't wait to be there one of those bastards goes in.

He was shocking tonight. Close thread.

Said before he was poor at saints and I've seen nothing to say anything's changed, big difference when Pearce pulled him, Ritchie had him on toast in that first half!

Moan moan moan moan moan moan moan ad infinitum

He had a booking he had to come off the way they were attacking us.

Impressive member

I think Harding and Fox are both important to us. Fox struggled a bit tonight but overall he adds that attacking quality we need.