Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reality check

Default Reality check

While that was the best atmosphere I've heard at the City Ground in years and I'm as excited as anyone else, in fairness we'll come up against stronger opposition every week from now on. Judging by the Football League show I'm worried by Watford the most. But also predict good things for Bournemouth (Wilson looked class dammit) Wolves, Wigan, and of course Derby. Top 6 sure. But we're not going to walk it. Yet. We'll know more after September 14th. Thoughts?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Looking Hairy

Default Re: Reality check

This isn't news.

I've seen very little, if anything, posted on here to suggest that your "reality check" is required.

Do you not Watford and co might not look at us and have exactly the same feeling about us and the others you mention?.
    Blackpool have come to the CG a few times in recent seasons and left with at least a point. So I see the potential banana skin avoided as nothing but positive.
    It's going to be a long, hard season. But that just doesn't apply to us. And I think we are a different animal to last season.
    As for Wilson. Yep we paid a lot more for for Assombalonga but as he was the top scorer in the same division last season and believe he will score more goals than Wilson this season. So maybe a reality check is due there too.
    We will find out soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Otis Redd'un View Post
    I've seen very little, if anything, posted on here to suggest that your "reality check" is required.
    Lol

Pretty sure no one is predicting a cake walk. In fact most people seem to hoping (rather than expecting) we can nab a playoff spot, whilst playing some nice stuff. After the last two years of injuries and self sabotage you'd be mad to expect us to cruise through a season!

Senior Doom Monger

Blackpool were billed by the Media as relegation certainties and as being the team everyone would smash.
    At the end of the day they fielded 11 full professionals with another 2 on the bench.
    In goal they had a keeper who has been capped at England under 21 and upfront they had a couple of quite decent players.
    At the end of the day to beat them 2 - 0, and we did cruise in the second half, was a decent result for first game of the season.
    I think we have a lot more to come from this Forest side, and contrary to my user name, I feel quite optimistic for the season.

TBF to the OP he's got a valid point. A 2-0 win from Saturday was at the lower end of expectations, given the absolute disarray of the opposition in the run up to the game. The 3 points was the most important thing of course, but I was a bit disappointed we didn't take full advantage and get a bigger boost to our goals-for total. The debutants did OK, with Burke and Mancienne looking the best of the bunch, with promise from Britt, but the opposition was as easy-going as we're likely to see this season. Yet some fans will be thinking we're going to 'storm' the division. I doubt that very much - no-one is IMO.

We've got a bloody hard fixture list coming up. If we're somewhere in the top 8 by the end of September, that would be a basis for feeling optimistic.

Billy Davies long lost lovechild.

Quote Originally Posted by Otis Redd'un View Post
    The constant confidence in Derby may suggest it is!

Quote Originally Posted by danj View Post
    While that was the best atmosphere I've heard at the City Ground in years and I'm as excited as anyone else, in fairness we'll come up against stronger opposition every week from now on. Judging by the Football League show I'm worried by Watford the most. But also predict good things for Bournemouth (Wilson looked class dammit) Wolves, Wigan, and of course Derby. Top 6 sure. But we're not going to walk it. Yet. We'll know more after September 14th. Thoughts?
    Yes. I don't want a reality check either.
    Stuart FUCKING Pearce is the man.
    We've strengthened in many areas. In particular we have pace and proper strikers now, neither of which we had last year (sorry to those apologists for Cox, Hendo et al).
    COYR

Wow how you can gauge where we are and any other teas are after one game and 2 minutes worth of highlights is impressive.

After 5 games we ll know more

Reality check not required. I don't think anyone's suggested were going to win the league

lol

Quote Originally Posted by 8balluk View Post
    Wow how you can gauge where we are and any other teas are after one game and 2 minutes worth of highlights is impressive.

After 5 games we ll know more

Reality check not required. I don't think anyone's suggested were going to win the league
    i have us to win the league but im an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Jontron/Hakem/SaltyDougie View Post
    i have us to win the league but im an idiot.
    I concur

Not that well win the league ........

Quote Originally Posted by Forrest_Grump View Post
    TBF to the OP he's got a valid point. A 2-0 win from Saturday was at the lower end of expectations, given the absolute disarray of the opposition in the run up to the game. The 3 points was the most important thing of course, but I was a bit disappointed we didn't take full advantage and get a bigger boost to our goals-for total. The debutants did OK, with Burke and Mancienne looking the best of the bunch, with promise from Britt, but the opposition was as easy-going as we're likely to see this season. Yet some fans will be thinking we're going to 'storm' the division. I doubt that very much - no-one is IMO.

We've got a bloody hard fixture list coming up. If we're somewhere in the top 8 by the end of September, that would be a basis for feeling optimistic.
    We won, simple as that. Yes against a chucked together team with a near empty subs bench. But we had a few debutants ourself who will only get better after playing together more often. We also had a few who didn't start for varying reasons that maybe our manager sees as starters when it all settles down.
    So for me a 2-0 win is a job well done.

Senior Doom Monger

Quote Originally Posted by Forrest_Grump View Post

You need to don the old tin hat.
    When I raised the issue of the challenges of our fixtures after the easy start against Blackpool during the pre-season hiatus, I was taken to task by a number of rabid posters...
    I agree that 1 result does not a season make (or break), and I will feel a lot happier if we are still top 6 at the end of September, and not languishing in the mid-table or lower positions.

lol

I concur

lol

I concur

cheeky twaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

Rice 34

Top 10 for me still.

The guy in front of me that has reappeared after a few years might need a reality check though, turned round just as he was leaving when the board went up. "Great 3 points we'll walk the fucking league."

Zycomm Two Way Radio

Personally it,s just as well we didn't win 5 or 6 then I think some might of gone overboard but In general I think most posters have been quite sensible in their expectation for forest this season,new manager a lot of new signings,players coming back from long term injuries( even wilson is due back soon )a bit of time is required for our team to gel but I see no reason to say that top 6 is a realistic target and an achievable one in what allready looks a wide open championship.

Looking Hairy

Reality checks lead to depression and boredom. I want to go fucking mental when a bloke i've never met walks out of a tunnel.

No need for tin hats. I can take it. And not worried about our ability at all. Just interested in who we think our strongest opposition is going to be this year. They will make the difference between play-offs and top two. Thoughts?

Watford and Wigan look strong. Bournemouth look like a good upcoming team too.

Swedish Meatball

I think there's a general acceptance this will be a tougher Championship than last season and we got - on paper at least - the easiest fixture out of the 46 on Saturday.

138 points this season is nailed on. That's reality.

I've always felt that we'd probably drift just above mid table by the end of the year as the SP tweaks things and the side gel together and then surge up the table within touching distance of the playoffs. I'd expect us to be there or thereabouts by the end of the season but I doubt we'll walk it.