Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 69 of 81 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179 ... LastLast
Results 1,701 to 1,725 of 2019

Thread: Sky Bet League 2 & Non-League Discussion Thread

      
  1. #1701

    Default Re: Sky Bet League 2 & Non-League Discussion Thread

    Off to Welling v Chelmsford in the National League South play off this afternoon.

    Best home record in the division, Welling. Hoping it holds up this afternoon.

    Not confident they would win at Woking in a final either way, but right now only two wins from Notts County home and away next season. C'mon you Wings.

    Looks like Derby v West Brom is on the box, so might head there for lunchtime in the hope of some pre-match entertainment.


  2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many

  3. #1702
    The Foam Hand
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Curry House
    Posts
    28,092

    Default Re: Sky Bet League 2 & Non-League Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Francis Benali (on loan) View Post
    Off to Welling v Chelmsford in the National League South play off this afternoon.

    Best home record in the division, Welling. Hoping it holds up this afternoon.

    Not confident they would win at Woking in a final either way, but right now only two wins from Notts County home and away next season. C'mon you Wings.

    Looks like Derby v West Brom is on the box, so might head there for lunchtime in the hope of some pre-match entertainment.
    Good luck!


  4. #1703

    Default Re: Sky Bet League 2 & Non-League Discussion Thread

    Last time I went to a play-off game and the team I was cheering for won, that team would have been Neil Warnock's Notts County.


  5. #1704
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    The wrong end of the county
    Posts
    1,981

    Default Re: Sky Bet League 2 & Non-League Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Francis Benali (on loan) View Post
    Off to Welling v Chelmsford in the National League South play off this afternoon.

    Best home record in the division, Welling. Hoping it holds up this afternoon.

    Not confident they would win at Woking in a final either way, but right now only two wins from Notts County home and away next season. C'mon you Wings.

    Looks like Derby v West Brom is on the box, so might head there for lunchtime in the hope of some pre-match entertainment.
    Good luck




  6. #1705
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    The wrong end of the county
    Posts
    1,981

    Default Re: Sky Bet League 2 & Non-League Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Francis Benali (on loan) View Post
    Last time I went to a play-off game and the team I was cheering for won, that team would have been Neil Warnock's Notts County.
    I was going to say mine would have been either one or two years before you (Wrexham v Scunthorpe in '89). Then I remembered Blackpool (v Scunthorpe) in '92 with my Dad, and Blackpool (v Exeter) for my Dad two years ago.


  7. #1706
    May not be the best moderator on LTLF, but he's In The Top 1
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    40,653

    Default Re: Sky Bet League 2 & Non-League Discussion Thread

    Well done Grimsby!



    By "relegation battle", do you mean 7th, 12th or 14th?

    Quote Originally Posted by willojack View Post
    flagman do me a f***ing favour remove me from this forum

  8. #1707
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    10,476

    Default Re: Sky Bet League 2 & Non-League Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Francis Benali (on loan) View Post
    Off to Welling v Chelmsford in the National League South play off this afternoon.

    Best home record in the division, Welling. Hoping it holds up this afternoon.

    Not confident they would win at Woking in a final either way, but right now only two wins from Notts County home and away next season. C'mon you Wings.

    Looks like Derby v West Brom is on the box, so might head there for lunchtime in the hope of some pre-match entertainment.
    Good to see Chelmsford get a mention. Used to go and watch them when their ground was right next to the cricket ground. Seamless transition from cricket to football in those days!


  9. #1708

    Default Re: Sky Bet League 2 & Non-League Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by valspoodle View Post
    Good to see Chelmsford get a mention. Used to go and watch them when their ground was right next to the cricket ground. Seamless transition from cricket to football in those days!
    I really like the cricket ground there. Perfect for county stuff.


  10. #1709

    Default Re: Sky Bet League 2 & Non-League Discussion Thread

    Got in early. Sat with my pint on the terrace. At 2:30pm it's just Chelmsford fans mostly. Good turnout from Essex.

    Tannoy guy gives behaviour warning about abuse and bad language before reading out the teams.

    Chelmsford fans behind the goal boo every Welling name read out. Welling winger, Brendan Kiernan, on hearing his name sticks his hands in the air, looks at Chelmsford fans booing and shouts "YES...YOU F##KERS!".

    Going to be good this.




  11. #1710
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3,874

    Default Re: Sky Bet League 2 & Non-League Discussion Thread

    I’m watching Salford v Eastleigh in the Conference Semi. Decent game- winner plays AFC Fylde (managed by Dave Challinor- remember him? The original long throw specialist in his Tranmere days)for the chance to be Notts County’s upgrade. Currently 1-1, it’s bed a decent game.


  12. #1711
    The Foam Hand
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Curry House
    Posts
    28,092

    Default Re: Sky Bet League 2 & Non-League Discussion Thread

    I see Francis is jinxing Wellings playoff hopes now as well, Chelmsford have equalised.


  13. #1712
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    The wrong end of the county
    Posts
    1,981

    Default Re: Sky Bet League 2 & Non-League Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by valspoodle View Post
    Good to see Chelmsford get a mention. Used to go and watch them when their ground was right next to the cricket ground. Seamless transition from cricket to football in those days!
    Northampton's old ground used to be like that. Had a temporary stand one side of the pitch during the season, as part of the football ground was also used as part of the cricket 'pitch' (or whatever they call it). It was something like that anyway, went there once, very strange looking ground.


  14. #1713
    The Foam Hand
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Curry House
    Posts
    28,092

    Default Re: Sky Bet League 2 & Non-League Discussion Thread

    Welling win! I bet Francis is celebrating with a quinoa bar now


  15. #1714

    Default Re: Sky Bet League 2 & Non-League Discussion Thread

    96th minute winner from spot, after being pegged back from 2-0 and it starting to feel much like Forest play off semi final.


  16. #1715
    Warp Speed Chic
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    9,564

    Default Re: Sky Bet League 2 & Non-League Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Bryn Gunn View Post
    Welling win! I bet Francis is celebrating with a quinoa bar now
    Feel for Fran's wife tonight. Bet he comes in delirious having bought running lycra in Welling colours.

    With trainers to match.


  17. #1716

    Default Re: Sky Bet League 2 & Non-League Discussion Thread

    That was magic. Roll on next Sunday.


  18. #1717
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    The wrong end of the county
    Posts
    1,981

    Default Re: Sky Bet League 2 & Non-League Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Francis Benali (on loan) View Post
    That was magic. Roll on next Sunday.
    Chuffed for you. Good luck next week.


  19. #1718
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    The wrong end of the county
    Posts
    1,981

    Default Re: Sky Bet League 2 & Non-League Discussion Thread

    Salford make the final.

    Just what we need, another Manc club in the league


  20. #1719

    Default Re: Sky Bet League 2 & Non-League Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Bryn Gunn View Post
    Welling win! I bet Francis is celebrating with a quinoa bar now
    Celebrated with quorn mince.


  21. #1720

    Default Re: Sky Bet League 2 & Non-League Discussion Thread


  22. #1721

    Default Re: Sky Bet League 2 & Non-League Discussion Thread

    I forgot to print my ticket off yesterday, just had the email on my phone. They don't have the technology to deal with that (first time all season they've sold tickets - it's only ever cash on the turnstile).

    Had a look on the high street walking in for some kind of internet cafe. Most places closed. Thought oh well, going to end up paying again now. What a donkey.

    Get to the gate and the groundsman/ ex-chairman/son of the guy who started the club as a kids team is on the street talking to fans going in. Says no problem, gets the booking reference on my email, and waves me through. He's prepared the pitch and ground facilities, sorted out tickets for the biggest match of the season and is out front helping people who can't follow simple instructions.

    Marinakis, Randall, or Hardy they'd all do this sort of thing, right? This is the stuff makes a day out at non league football good.


  23. #1722
    Where's me hammer?
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    50,590

    Default Re: Sky Bet League 2 & Non-League Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Francis Benali (on loan) View Post
    I forgot to print my ticket off yesterday, just had the email on my phone. They don't have the technology to deal with that (first time all season they've sold tickets - it's only ever cash on the turnstile).

    Had a look on the high street walking in for some kind of internet cafe. Most places closed. Thought oh well, going to end up paying again now. What a donkey.

    Get to the gate and the groundsman/ ex-chairman/son of the guy who started the club as a kids team is on the street talking to fans going in. Says no problem, gets the booking reference on my email, and waves me through. He's prepared the pitch and ground facilities, sorted out tickets for the biggest match of the season and is out front helping people who can't follow simple instructions.

    Marinakis, Randall, or Hardy they'd all do this sort of thing, right? This is the stuff makes a day out at non league football good.
    It's a fine line though mate... direct access to the owner is still direct access in good times and bad.

    The direct access to Eastwoods owner ultimately finished the club.

    Sent from my SM-J415FN using Tapatalk


  24. #1723
    It's all about mid-table...
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Wetherspoons
    Posts
    18,159

    Default Re: Sky Bet League 2 & Non-League Discussion Thread

    Proper club mate.


  25. #1724

    Default Re: Sky Bet League 2 & Non-League Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    It's a fine line though mate... direct access to the owner is still direct access in good times and bad.

    The direct access to Eastwoods owner ultimately finished the club.

    Sent from my SM-J415FN using Tapatalk
    He announced last night on Twitter that that was his last game. Been involved since he was kid.

    He had his stick when the team were getting relegated, and fans wanted to take their frustration out on everybody. That's no different to Forest, or any pro club sadly. I found it bonkers. It's a genuine family run club, why would anybody want that to change? Only a handful of fools, but they tend to be incessant.

    I imagine he'll still be there every week. Just not quite Mr Welling United. His Dad stepped down from running the club a few years back and is still there every game. On the train to away games, handing out the mince pies at Christmas.


  26. #1725
    Where's me hammer?
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    50,590

    Default Re: Sky Bet League 2 & Non-League Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Francis Benali (on loan) View Post
    He announced last night on Twitter that that was his last game. Been involved since he was kid.

    He had his stick when the team were getting relegated, and fans wanted to take their frustration out on everybody. That's no different to Forest, or any pro club sadly. I found it bonkers. It's a genuine family run club, why would anybody want that to change? Only a handful of fools, but they tend to be incessant.

    I imagine he'll still be there every week. Just not quite Mr Welling United. His Dad stepped down from running the club a few years back and is still there every game. On the train to away games, handing out the mince pies at Christmas.
    Before owner mentioned above Eastwood had that to a degree... the bloke running it never wanted them promoted as he knew they couldn't sustain progression...2nd qualifying round of the cup, county cup win and a mid table finish in what was tier 7 was sustainable on the gates and sponsorship... the fans couldn't buy into that mindset.

    New owner lands by hook or crook, football league manager in, promotion, 3rd round of the cup...owner on the forum, owner on the fans bus to away games, owner standing with fans at games...chance of promotion to the conference blocked by the FA because of the ground, which the council refuse to allow to be redeveloped.

    Fans give owner grief, he sells it for a pound.

    Club doesn't last another 3 years despite lasting the 50 before it on much less.

    Sent from my SM-J415FN using Tapatalk


 

 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •