Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 3 of 176 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Bikes

Looking Hairy

Default Re: Bikes

Right, i've got the bike. Fitted the bars, the new saddle and pedals but i'm having a problem with the gears. I've got Shimano shifters on there but the levers just don't appear to do anything. The gears sit on the small front chainring and small rear sprockets but i just don't seem to be able to shift the gears up at all.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Sexual Tyrannosaurus

You got to much slack on the cable?

[QUOTE=Barry;2870882]Ive only met Andy....last week actually and can confirm he is in 2nd place in sexiest fucker on here stakes.[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by Halford's Lid View Post
    Right, i've got the bike. Fitted the bars, the new saddle and pedals but i'm having a problem with the gears. I've got Shimano shifters on there but the levers just don't appear to do anything. The gears sit on the small front chainring and small rear sprockets but i just don't seem to be able to shift the gears up at all.
    Does the changer move at all when you click the lever?
    If so it could just be a case of releasing the small nut on the change mechanism and drawing the cable through a bit tighter before tightening the clamp nut back up.

Looking Hairy

I've pushed it a variety of ways and nothing appears to happen at all.

Sexual Tyrannosaurus

Has the end come out the hole?

Not banned, just being a pillock

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Sinister View Post
    So much for break-neck speed going downhill!
    What about climbs?
    When I lived in Sheffield the ride from my front door up to Owler Bar from Beauchief was a 5-mile climb, gradually getting steeper as you went.
    And then on the return journey there was the wonderful Grindleford Hill... not so long, but very steep.
    Riding 50 miles, starting with the 5-mile up and then doing Grindleford at around 40 miles was, for me, a real test.
    Mate I've hit a tree in a car at 60+ mph in my car and also got knocked off my vespa at 50 odd mph with proper gear on, no way would I fancy coming a cropper on my push bike at them speeds...... I went up foxhole hill in horwich on fa cup final day, that was 3 mile straight up onto the moors up to the where the mast is for greater Manchester tv...... That was hardcore so the extra 2 mile must be a killer... To be fair where I live your either going up a hill or down one so all good practice.

Left Winger

Ok that's a wrong 'un for starters.

You should never need to use the "extremes" of the gearing (so, small front cog and small rear cog, or vice-versa, large to large) as that stretches the chain in ways it wasn't designed to go.

If you have got the chain on the small front cog and it won't move "up" to a bigger cog when you push the front shifter (normally with Shimano, you click the big lever to go "up" and the small lever to go "down") then I suspect you have too much tension in the cable: it's not pulling the front derailleur across?

Can you see the derailleur try to move when you shift?

Same logic applies to the rear derailleur too, small lever to move down the cogs, big lever to move up them. But again, if the shift cable is too tight, it won't move (and that sounds like what is happening!)

„The revolution will inevitably awaken in the British working class the deepest passions which have been diverted along artificial channels with the aid of football.“

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Sutton's lazy eye View Post
    Ive just got back from a 51 mile ride, awsworth-heanor- Belper-carsington water-cromford-ambergate-home longest ride I've ever done, my legs are like jelly....took 4 hours 20 mins loved it though. Some cracking hills got 45mph coming down from wirksworth to cromford my new favorite hill.
    How often did you stop mate?

I am thinking of doing a 50 miler from where I live, Halesowen - West Mids to Wentnore in Shropshire (it's 50 miles - staying the night then riding home the next day. The most I have ridden is 25.

I would stop a few times I think as my 16 yo lad wants to do it with me also.

Looking Hairy

Not sure what happened but it appears to have fixed itself overnight. Took it out earlier for a quick 5/6 mile jaunt and it's working like a charm. Odd.

Left Winger

Not sure what happened but it appears to have fixed itself overnight. Took it out earlier for a quick 5/6 mile jaunt and it's working like a charm. Odd.
    That's good. But remember, don't use small-small and large-large combos!

Fell off today for the first time in about 15 years going over a wooden bridge........wheels just went from underneath me sending both water bottles and my front light into the brook.......skin gone on the elbow and knee.... Still got back on and did my quota of 40 miles and 100 since Monday.... hurting now though.

Monk De Wally De Honk

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Sutton's lazy eye View Post
    Fell off today for the first time in about 15 years going over a wooden bridge........wheels just went from underneath me sending both water bottles and my front light into the brook.......skin gone on the elbow and knee.... Still got back on and did my quota of 40 miles and 100 since Monday.... hurting now though.
    Exactly the same thing happened to me years ago, I laughed at a friend who fell off on it, them did exactly the same, luckily I just slid on my arse

I use Strava too. It helps with the motivation to see runners I know have been out training.

Somehow a running segment can be led by a cyclist though. And cyclists have died racing segments over busy traffic junctions. So some segments are best left.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea Carnevale (on loan) View Post
    I use Strava too. It helps with the motivation to see runners I know have been out training.

Somehow a running segment can be led by a cyclist though. And cyclists have died racing segments over busy traffic junctions. So some segments are best left.
    On the version I use I have audio alerts as I like to do distance rides but it only works when it thinks I'm running then I do my ride and before I update, export and finish I change it back to riding so that could have something to do with the cyclists being on the runners segments....I ve also noticed certain areas in Nottingham have segments that are not timed and not available to set up your own segment on as it has been highlighted as dangerous so I'm assuming strava have done that to combat the deaths you've mentioned maybe?

It's great app though.

Quote Originally Posted by 'eckinhell View Post
    Exactly the same thing happened to me years ago, I laughed at a friend who fell off on it, them did exactly the same, luckily I just slid on my arse
    After a boozy BBQ at me Mum & Dad's, when she was still alive and they still lived in Gedling, I rode at 35 - 40 down Main Road, forgetting the sharpish right hander where Wood Lane goes off to the left.
    I slid across the road and hit the pedestrian safety barrier, all the skin on right leg and thigh took on that textured look!
    No fun coming off a bike...

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea Carnevale (on loan) View Post
    Is that Stuart Pearce on the deck?

I did more of a Kevin Keegan on superstars..... Without the perm and vest of course....them fashions have yet to hit Eastwood

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=n4OzPrskdqU&feature=kp

#FindElaine

A little while ago now but this was the result of the new tram stop jutting out into the road on Green Lane near Farnborough road - where there used to be a cycle lane but no-ones thought to warn you it's now gone meaning my wheels dropped into the tram track and chucked me off!

Graze wasn't too bad - the bruised pride and coccyx were worse!

Please donate to my #MPCC14 JustGiving page @ Justgiving.com/FindElaine

#FindElaine

Quote Originally Posted by chriscl View Post
    On the question of cycling shorts, do not skimp on them, buy the best you can afford. They are worth it.

I favour Mavic bib-shorts; they are £90 (!) but they feel like they aren't there and protect everything so you don't get the feeling you've been kicked in the arse after a few miles.

Also, invest in a good Chamois cream and apply liberally to ones nether regions before riding. It stops irritation and chafing caused by sweat!

So - bikes - the Felt that Halford's Lid linked to is a really good piece of kit for the money, and crucially has a decent frame that is ripe for future upgrades (remember: frames can last years, components don't, and can always be replaced!)

Shimano 105 is a really good group set for the money, unless you race competitively to a very high standard it's as good as you need (unless you're rich, in which case, go knock yourself out and buy Dura-Ace!)
    Thank's for that advise Chris. I knew I was being stupid wanting to jump upto the level I spoke of in the other post, just been listening to too many people at work who think you need Ultegra & carbon frames to be happy.

Truth be told I'm very happy with my bike, it's got carbon front and rear stays so it's not too bad and all I'm going to save is 1kg so not worth shelling out £1500+, once I actually learn how to maintain the gears etc all the niggles that are pi**ing me off at the moment will be gone. The only exception being the wheelset!

I'm still running the wheels that came with the bike at the moment but really need to upgrade them before this cycle challenge starts in 3 weeks. The guys from Ride2Raise recommended I get Shimano 105/Ultegra wheels and I popped into Evans last week who suggested Fulcrum Racing 3 @ £467.49

Have you got any suggestions mate? I'd like to spend around £300 but can go upto about £500 if that's going to get me something pretty good that won't need upgrading again for a while.

Left Winger

Default Bikes

My current road steed runs a set of Shimano RS10s which I'm very happy with.

The Fulcrum 3s are a superb wheelset for the money. If you can stretch to them, they are significantly lighter than the standard wheelsets you get and will last years.

Ultegras are also very good, but can be pricey.

105 hubs are bomb-proof, team them with a pair of lightweight rims and you're laughing.

Looking Hairy

Quote Originally Posted by ubique View Post
    A little while ago now but this was the result of the new tram stop jutting out into the road on Green Lane near Farnborough road - where there used to be a cycle lane but no-ones thought to warn you it's now gone meaning my wheels dropped into the tram track and chucked me off!

Graze wasn't too bad - the bruised pride and coccyx were worse!
    I don't want to see a photo of your coccyx.

#FindElaine

Quote Originally Posted by chriscl View Post
    My current road steed runs a set of Shimano RS10s which I'm very happy with.

The Fulcrum 3s are a superb wheelset for the money. If you can stretch to them, they are significantly lighter than the standard wheelsets you get and will last years.

Ultegras are also very good, but can be pricey.

105 hubs are bomb-proof, team them with a pair of lightweight rims and you're laughing.
    Cheers mate - alot of the Fulcrum 3 Shimano are out of stock but have found some on Wiggle for £379.

Sent Evans a price match request, hopefully they'll honour it then I've got shop support should I need it.

Rice 13

The other year did the [URL=http://wayoftheroses.info]Way of the Roses[\URL] cycle ride! there a [URL=http://veloviewer.com/segments/1097296] massive hill[\URL]. My bike was loaded up with 2 pannier bags and a tent on the back, doing a reasonable speed into Pateley bridge and got over taken by someone peddling like hell, god only knows if they made the bottom alive.

#FindElaine

Know that hill well from my time in Ripon but have done it the other way