Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 235 of 236 FirstFirst ... 135185225233234235236 LastLast
Results 5,851 to 5,875 of 5885

Thread: Bikes

  1. #5851
    Where's me hammer?
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    48,287

    Default Re: Bikes

    Quote Originally Posted by GOD View Post
    Me and the youngest just waking the dog and she stumped me with a question
    Can you be nicked on a bike for breaking the speed limit?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes

    Sent from my SM-J415FN using Tapatalk


  2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many

  3. #5852
    Left Winger
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Lufthansa Business Lounge
    Posts
    81,829

    Default Re: Bikes

    Quote Originally Posted by GOD View Post
    Me and the youngest just waking the dog and she stumped me with a question
    Can you be nicked on a bike for breaking the speed limit?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes. If you mean on the public road, you can, because you’re considered a vehicle. Doesn’t matter that you don’t have an engine.

    „I believe in socialism because it seems more humanitarian, rather than every man for himself and 'I'm alright jack' and all those arsehole businessmen with all the loot. I made up my mind from viewing society from that angle. That's where I'm from and there's where I've made my decisions from. That's why I believe in socialism“

    — Joe Strummer

  4. #5853
    Sexual Tyrannosaurus
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Behind you
    Posts
    43,448

    Default Re: Bikes

    Quote Originally Posted by GOD View Post
    Me and the youngest just waking the dog and she stumped me with a question
    Can you be nicked on a bike for breaking the speed limit?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    No unless there's a specific bylaws in place enforcing cycle speed limits.

    "Ive only met Andy....last week actually and can confirm he is in 2nd place in sexiest fucker on here stakes." -Barry

  5. #5854
    The Foam Hand
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Curry House
    Posts
    25,334

    Default Re: Bikes

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Sinister View Post
    I have a circa 1980 vintage Raleigh racer that the bike mechanic who helped me solve a problem beyond my skill raved about as being of a build quality you don't find in racing bikes these days.
    Love your example - looks great!
    Just one thing - there are a lot of spokes missing... them wheels will buckle sure as eggs are eggs!
    Here’s an interesting video of Raleigh in 1945, the factory was huge! It shows certain procedures in making a bicycle.




  6. #5855
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Fterno, Lefkada
    Posts
    9,448

    Default Re: Bikes

    https://m.facebook.com/watch/?v=579770272587636&_rdr
    Proper kids.

    Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

    Last edited by Lefkasman; 14-01-20 at 11:54.

  7. #5856
    The Foam Hand
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Curry House
    Posts
    25,334

    Default Re: Bikes

    Quote Originally Posted by Lefkasman View Post
    https://m.facebook.com/watch/?v=579770272587636&_rdr
    Proper kids.

    Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk


    That’s the sort of behaviour that happened on the estate when we where kids. The stuff you’d do to amuse yourselves.


  8. #5857
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Fterno, Lefkada
    Posts
    9,448

    Default Re: Bikes

    Quote Originally Posted by Bryn Gunn View Post


    That’s the sort of behaviour that happened on the estate when we where kids. The stuff you’d do to amuse yourselves.
    When I was at junior school, just outside the gates whenever it rained a great big puddle would form. So on our way home we'd stand at the kerbside waiting for the cars to drown us. Buses were even better you got a real good soaking.
    Always got a clout from my mother. Did I do it again? Of course.

    Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk


  9. #5858
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Fterno, Lefkada
    Posts
    9,448

    Default Re: Bikes

    Me and Susan Woolley nearly set fire to the street once. We'd swept a massive pile of leaves into the middle of the street and lit them with her dad's lighter. Woosh! They went up like a fucking rocket. She was running in and out the house with her dad's shaving mug full of water trying to douse the flames.
    Luckily an older lad Kevin Cox was passing nearby and being more sensible he mananaged to put the fire out.
    I say more sensible, he swallowed a nut and bolt once, to see if he could. It never came out the other end and they ended up operating on him.
    Happy days. What's up with the kids of today?

    Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk


  10. #5859
    Warp Speed Chic
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    8,624

    Default Re: Bikes

    We used to go around Bestwood Country Park on knackered BMX's, taking the brakes off as that was the cool thing to do. I used to hide mine under the shed then push feed them back into place when I got back.


  11. #5860
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Fterno, Lefkada
    Posts
    9,448

    Default Re: Bikes

    We used to go down the slide on the park sat on the waxy like paper they used to wrap bread in. It polished the slide up a treat and when some unsuspecting toddler came down, wow you should have seen that fucker go, flying off the end like a fighter jet on an aircraft carrier. Hours of fun.

    Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk


  12. #5861
    The Foam Hand
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Curry House
    Posts
    25,334

    Default Re: Bikes

    Quote Originally Posted by Freddie View Post
    We used to go around Bestwood Country Park on knackered BMX's, taking the brakes off as that was the cool thing to do. I used to hide mine under the shed then push feed them back into place when I got back.
    I had a pair of trainers and the left shoe had a groove worn through the centre of it from stopping the back wheel with my foot. Grim really, couldn't afford any new brake pads or some fucker had nicked them.

    Last edited by Bryn Gunn; 14-01-20 at 19:48.

  13. #5862
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    16,936

    Default Re: Bikes

    Quote Originally Posted by GOD View Post
    Me and the youngest just waking the dog and she stumped me with a question
    Can you be nicked on a bike for breaking the speed limit?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Officially, no.

    However there are exceptions for example Richmond Park in London has a limit for all mechanically propelled vehicles, which includes bicycles, of 15mph iirc.

    As Andy says, local councils can set speed limits on certain stretches of both roads and cyclepaths.

    Of course, you can also be charged with "wanton and furious driving" which is a bit of a catch all for anything that isn't covered by the usual laws.

    http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/...100/section/35


  14. #5863
    The Foam Hand
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Curry House
    Posts
    25,334

    Default Re: Bikes

    So, in Brynworld, it’s all about Sturmey-Archer gears this week.
    Picked something up cheap that needed a gear cable changing. A few articles and videos later I thought it would be a piece of piss. Wrong.
    Can’t get them to sync smoothly at the moment, although there are a few other methods to try yet. I’m just hoping the hub doesn’t need a full service, apparently these new hubs are a sealed unit (no oil port) and greased during each service.


  15. #5864
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    16,936

    Default Re: Bikes

    Quote Originally Posted by Bryn Gunn View Post
    So, in Brynworld, it’s all about Sturmey-Archer gears this week.
    Picked something up cheap that needed a gear cable changing. A few articles and videos later I thought it would be a piece of piss. Wrong.
    Can’t get them to sync smoothly at the moment, although there are a few other methods to try yet. I’m just hoping the hub doesn’t need a full service, apparently these new hubs are a sealed unit (no oil port) and greased during each service.
    How many gears?


  16. #5865
    The Foam Hand
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Curry House
    Posts
    25,334

    Default Re: Bikes

    Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    How many gears?
    Three.
    I think I’ve cracked it. Despite most advising using the indicator pin to set them up, the Sheldon Brown website says it doesn’t always work. He suggests starting with a slack gear chain then using your ears and feel to know when they are shifting correctly.


  17. #5866
    The Foam Hand
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Curry House
    Posts
    25,334

    Default Re: Bikes

    First impressions on the Sturmey Archer 3 speed hub: I’d previously never tried one of these but always been curious how the gear ratios compare to derailleur gears.
    The step between gears is quite a big jump, more than I expected, but very useable. Just done 10 miles and didn’t need to move out of 2nd much which is like a cruise gear. 1st for hill climbing which isn’t a breeze but doable, 3rd for descents and some flats.
    The range feels like a standard 12 speed to me but obviously without the in between gears.

    Quite impressed with the simplicity of it and less time spent faffing flicking through different chain rings and cogs.
    Be interested to see how they perform on a lighter frame bike.

    Anyone else tried or like them?


  18. #5867
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    16,936

    Default Re: Bikes

    Quote Originally Posted by Bryn Gunn View Post
    First impressions on the Sturmey Archer 3 speed hub: I’d previously never tried one of these but always been curious how the gear ratios compare to derailleur gears.
    The step between gears is quite a big jump, more than I expected, but very useable. Just done 10 miles and didn’t need to move out of 2nd much which is like a cruise gear. 1st for hill climbing which isn’t a breeze but doable, 3rd for descents and some flats.
    The range feels like a standard 12 speed to me but obviously without the in between gears.

    Quite impressed with the simplicity of it and less time spent faffing flicking through different chain rings and cogs.
    Be interested to see how they perform on a lighter frame bike.

    Anyone else tried or like them?
    Like you, I love them for their simplicity.

    For general utility riding where the main aim is just to get from A to B without setting any Strava records nothing else is really needed unless you live in somewhere like Sheffield.

    I used to ride singlespeeds but found the one gear very limiting unless the landscape was relly flat, but I reckon I could ride most places on a 3 speed.


  19. #5868
    The Foam Hand
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Curry House
    Posts
    25,334

    Default Re: Bikes

    Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    Like you, I love them for their simplicity.

    For general utility riding where the main aim is just to get from A to B without setting any Strava records nothing else is really needed unless you live in somewhere like Sheffield.

    I used to ride singlespeeds but found the one gear very limiting unless the landscape was relly flat, but I reckon I could ride most places on a 3 speed.
    There’s a lot of benefits; little maintenance, no cross-chaining, less wear on the chain, the whole drivetrain can be covered with a guard, you can change gear whilst in static traffic, concealed unit and no scrubbing the jockey wheels clean and the rest of it. I’m liking it.
    Probably ideal for couriers?

    There are larger cogs to help with hill climbing, mine has a 21T and from a quick search there is a 24T available at SJS cycles. Might try one, at £2.99 what’s to lose.


  20. #5869
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    16,936

    Default Re: Bikes

    Quote Originally Posted by Bryn Gunn View Post
    There’s a lot of benefits; little maintenance, no cross-chaining, less wear on the chain, the whole drivetrain can be covered with a guard, you can change gear whilst in static traffic, concealed unit and no scrubbing the jockey wheels clean and the rest of it. I’m liking it.
    Probably ideal for couriers?

    There are larger cogs to help with hill climbing, mine has a 21T and from a quick search there is a 24T available at SJS cycles. Might try one, at £2.99 what’s to lose.
    Most couriers will grind away on a single-speed tbh, as simple as you can get.

    My personal cargo-bike has an 8 speed Shimano Alfine set up, it's all you ever need and is virtually maintenance free as there is no chain stretch, no parts to oil, or alignments to make.

    Why more manufacturers don't embrace simplicity is beyond me.

    Probably more dollars in more gears


  21. #5870
    The Foam Hand
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Curry House
    Posts
    25,334

    Default Re: Bikes

    Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    Most couriers will grind away on a single-speed tbh, as simple as you can get.

    My personal cargo-bike has an 8 speed Shimano Alfine set up, it's all you ever need and is virtually maintenance free as there is no chain stretch, no parts to oil, or alignments to make.

    Why more manufacturers don't embrace simplicity is beyond me.

    Probably more dollars in more gears
    I’ve read a lot about this over the past months, the industry is like many others, it creates its own income whether it be through maintenance, parts or upgrades. No profit in simplicity.
    The old adage of built to last and serviceable went out the window decades ago, generally speaking. We’ve seen this with white goods.

    You’re right, the market should be promoting more foolproof products, instead of idiosyncratic 10 speed indexed systems that most people don’t have a clue how to service, repair or even maintain in some circumstances.

    Back to the future with Sturmey Archer


  22. #5871

    Default Re: Bikes

    Quote Originally Posted by Joao CarvAndy!ho View Post
    No unless there's a specific bylaws in place enforcing cycle speed limits.
    Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    Yes. If you mean on the public road, you can, because you’re considered a vehicle. Doesn’t matter that you don’t have an engine.
    Clear as mud.


  23. #5872
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Terra Incognita
    Posts
    3,226

    Default Re: Bikes

    Lovely ride out this morning.




  24. #5873
    The Foam Hand
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Curry House
    Posts
    25,334

    Default Re: Bikes

    Quote Originally Posted by Fitzcarraldo View Post
    Lovely ride out this morning.
    Looked like everyone that owns a carbon road bike was out this morning, never seen so many cyclists whilst driving over mapperley tops and through Gedling to Nottingham.


  25. #5874
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Terra Incognita
    Posts
    3,226

    Default Re: Bikes

    Quote Originally Posted by Bryn Gunn View Post
    Looked like everyone that owns a carbon road bike was out this morning, never seen so many cyclists whilst driving over mapperley tops and through Gedling to Nottingham.
    City posers. Roads are still ropey on my main routes so mine will be staying on the rack until March.

    Actually enjoyed the last few rides on the CX.


  26. #5875
    The Foam Hand
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Curry House
    Posts
    25,334

    Default Re: Bikes

    Quote Originally Posted by Fitzcarraldo View Post
    City posers. Roads are still ropey on my main routes so mine will be staying on the rack until March.

    Actually enjoyed the last few rides on the CX.
    Still a lot flooding, sludge and debris on my favourite routes as well. I’ve just been doing urban 10 milers on the 5 or 3 speed, the limited gears makes you feel like you’ve still had a workout and it’s a clean route.


 

 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •