Thread: Bikes

Monk De Wally De Honk

Or get yourself to Porlock hill, now that takes balls

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Not banned, just being a pillock

Default Re: Bikes

Quote Originally Posted by bullittboy View Post
    If you want to test how big your balls are may I suggest Amber Lane, known locally as Slack Hill on the
    Matlock to Chesterfield road. Not as long as Cromford Hill, but even steeper and except for a couple of farm
    driveways turning on to it, no roads, or traffic lights, therefore no vehicles pulling out in front of you.
    People have posted on line of passing 60mph on there.
    Thanks I'll have a google of that....60mph would take some serious balls I think....

Quote Originally Posted by 'eckinhell View Post
    Or get yourself to Porlock hill, now that takes balls
    Just googled it, wouldn't mind a crack up and down that.

#FindElaine

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Sutton's lazy eye View Post
    Ive just got back from a 51 mile ride, awsworth-heanor- Belper-carsington water-cromford-ambergate-home longest ride I've ever done, my legs are like jelly....took 4 hours 20 mins loved it though. Some cracking hills got 45mph coming down from wirksworth to cromford my new favorite hill.
    Went out the monday intending to do about 30 miles but hit that easily after zigzagging through town, strelly, toton, stabbo, Mong eaton and into Beeston as the rain really set in. After a coffee stop hoping the rain passed I manned up and got back on and by the time I got to West Bridgford via town I was past 40 miles so made sure I passed the 50 mile point - felt really good and can't wait to get out there again.

Just planned out what I think will be a good route: Rudd - Costock - Widmerpool - Cotgrave - Colsten Bassett - Langar - Bingham - East Bridgford - Gunthorpe - Lambley - Gedling - Carlton - Sneinton - West Bridgford (few zig zags up hills Musters Rd, Loughborough Rd, down Greythorn Dv) - Crompton Acres - Rudd - Clifton

60 miles so should be a nice few hours in the saddle with some decent scenery

Please donate to my #MPCC14 JustGiving page @ Justgiving.com/FindElaine

Quote Originally Posted by ubique View Post
    Went out the monday intending to do about 30 miles but hit that easily after zigzagging through town, strelly, toton, stabbo, Mong eaton and into Beeston as the rain really set in. After a coffee stop hoping the rain passed I manned up and got back on and by the time I got to West Bridgford via town I was past 40 miles so made sure I passed the 50 mile point - felt really good and can't wait to get out there again.

Just planned out what I think will be a good route: Rudd - Costock - Widmerpool - Cotgrave - Colsten Bassett - Langar - Bingham - East Bridgford - Gunthorpe - Lambley - Gedling - Carlton - Sneinton - West Bridgford (few zig zags up hills Musters Rd, Loughborough Rd, down Greythorn Dv) - Crompton Acres - Rudd - Clifton

60 miles so should be a nice few hours in the saddle with some decent scenery
    That's good going mate, what do you use to record your mileage? I use strava which I'm quite impressed with.

I know the route you've done but I'm not really that familiar with what your going to do you'll have to post up here when you've done it on how it is.

#FindElaine

Been using Strava too, here's the route I went out on last Mon: http://www.strava.com/activities/145890367

And this is what I'm planning on doing: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6323910

Looking Hairy

Can't wait for it to turn up tomorrow. I've been itching to get out for weeks.

#FindElaine

What bike is it you've ordered?

I'm debating over buying a new wheelset for my current bike to make the cycle challenge more enjoyable & shelling out on a completely new bike.

I'm getting to the stage where I'm really tempted to upgrade my current bike (2012 Jamis Ventura Race) to a carbon frame and groupset above my current 105. Spotted this one in Decathlon

Monk De Wally De Honk

Just googled it, wouldn't mind a crack up and down that.
    There is a reverse camber hairpin at the bottom, you got to pray your breaks don't fail on the way down. The Minehaead to Barnstaple road looks very good, there is a good descent into Lynmouth IIRC.

#FindElaine

That's good going mate, what do you use to record your mileage? I use strava which I'm quite impressed with.

I know the route you've done but I'm not really that familiar with what your going to do you'll have to post up here when you've done it on how it is.
    Did most that route today, only had a ham omelette before heading out so really started to feel it around the 40 mile mark so cut off at Lowdham and came back via Burton Joyce, Stoke Bardolph, Netherfield, Colwick, then over trent bridge, central ave then over to Crompton Acres via Rugby Rd.

Those 1st 30 miles to Bingham were a little more challenging (hilly) than I thought but a really nice ride. Still ended up doing 50 miles total so quite happy.

http://www.strava.com/activities/148683351

Looking Hairy

What bike is it you've ordered?

I'm debating over buying a new wheelset for my current bike to make the cycle challenge more enjoyable & shelling out on a completely new bike.

I'm getting to the stage where I'm really tempted to upgrade my current bike (2012 Jamis Ventura Race) to a carbon frame and groupset above my current 105. Spotted this one in Decathlon
    I'm still quite new so didn't spend a fortune, got this one:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/felt-f95-sora-wiggle-exclusive/

It looks pretty good. Carbon forks (no knives mind) with some Shimano Sora thrown in too. I've bought a new saddle and new pedals are on the way too. Anything else I ought to look at replacing/upgrading in your opinion?

Been using Strava too, here's the route I went out on last Mon: http://www.strava.com/activities/145890367

And this is what I'm planning on doing: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6323910
    Quality, I love strava it gives you motivation and bench marks to help you improve.... I did a ride today got to the top of my drive saw I'd done 29.6 miles.... No way was I not hitting the 30 mile mark so I went for a trip around the block to hit that magical mark.

Did most that route today, only had a ham omelette before heading out so really started to feel it around the 40 mile mark so cut off at Lowdham and came back via Burton Joyce, Stoke Bardolph, Netherfield, Colwick, then over trent bridge, central ave then over to Crompton Acres via Rugby Rd.

Those 1st 30 miles to Bingham were a little more challenging (hilly) than I thought but a really nice ride. Still ended up doing 50 miles total so quite happy.

http://www.strava.com/activities/148683351
    Do you take anything with you to snack on? I've been taking a couple of bananas just in case..... I usually ride early in the day so tend to do it on a bowl of bran flakes, not sure if its good or bad but a ride with nothing to eat can be a killer I've learnt my lesson doing that one the other week hitting the wall at the 26 mile mark....with another 10 still to go i felt awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Halford's Lid View Post
    I'm still quite new so didn't spend a fortune, got this one:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/felt-f95-sora-wiggle-exclusive/

It looks pretty good. Carbon forks (no knives mind) with some Shimano Sora thrown in too. I've bought a new saddle and new pedals are on the way too. Anything else I ought to look at replacing/upgrading in your opinion?
    I recommend a decent pair of padded cycle shorts, I treated my self to a pair.... I still feel like I've been bummed against my will after a long ride but with cycle shorts it feels like the bummings being done by a bloke with a smaller cock.

Victor Meldrew

Isn't Ubique doing a massive bike ride soon?

#FindElaine

'fraid I'm still a novice myself. I need smoother rolling wheels and want to upgrade from the 105 groupset for smoother changes which I could do to my current bike but I'm getting threadders with the weight (especially the back end) so thinking I may as well upgrade to a carbon frame.

Chris knows his stuff though

Victor Meldrew

'fraid I'm still a novice myself. I need smoother rolling wheels and want to upgrade from the 105 groupset for smoother changes which I could do to my current bike but I'm getting threadders with the weight (especially the back end) so thinking I may as well upgrade to a carbon frame.

Chris knows his stuff though
    I said to myself Ubique is carrying way too much weight on his back end...

#FindElaine

Quality, I love strava it gives you motivation and bench marks to help you improve.... I did a ride today got to the top of my drive saw I'd done 29.6 miles.... No way was I not hitting the 30 mile mark so I went for a trip around the block to hit that magical mark.
    Did exactly the same with that 1st ride I posted, was about to finish and saw I was on 49 miles so did another loop of the estate to crack the 50 miles!

Do you take anything with you to snack on? I've been taking a couple of bananas just in case..... I usually ride early in the day so tend to do it on a bowl of bran flakes, not sure if its good or bad but a ride with nothing to eat can be a killer I've learnt my lesson doing that one the other week hitting the wall at the 26 mile mark....with another 10 still to go i felt awful.
    I usually go out a bit earlier and eat a bit more before going out. Left later than I thought it was today & stopped at my sisters at 30 miles for a brew and ended up talking a few things over for far too long meaning as I set off again it was gone 5.30 and I was starving!

I recommend a decent pair of padded cycle shorts, I treated my self to a pair.... I still feel like I've been bummed against my will after a long ride but with cycle shorts it feels like the bummings being done by a bloke with a smaller cock.
    That's a very good point - I've been wearing these bibs from Decathlon for about 18 months now and they're awesome....I've even come off in the new tram tracks, had a massive graze on my arse but the shorts were fine B'TWIN 700 Cycling Bibshorts

Quote Originally Posted by Anatoli View Post
    Isn't Ubique doing a massive bike ride soon?
    Certainly am - depart from Edinburgh on Sat 28th June

#FindElaine

Quote Originally Posted by Anatoli View Post
    I said to myself Ubique is carrying way too much weight on his back end...

Left Winger

On the question of cycling shorts, do not skimp on them, buy the best you can afford. They are worth it.

I favour Mavic bib-shorts; they are £90 (!) but they feel like they aren't there and protect everything so you don't get the feeling you've been kicked in the arse after a few miles.

Also, invest in a good Chamois cream and apply liberally to ones nether regions before riding. It stops irritation and chafing caused by sweat!

So - bikes - the Felt that Halford's Lid linked to is a really good piece of kit for the money, and crucially has a decent frame that is ripe for future upgrades (remember: frames can last years, components don't, and can always be replaced!)

Shimano 105 is a really good group set for the money, unless you race competitively to a very high standard it's as good as you need (unless you're rich, in which case, go knock yourself out and buy Dura-Ace!)

„The revolution will inevitably awaken in the British working class the deepest passions which have been diverted along artificial channels with the aid of football.“

Quote Originally Posted by alabamared View Post
    I am only a casual cyclist but Brooks saddles are brilliant once you have worn them in.

Do peddles matter that much? As long as you have some.
    I moved onto Shimano PD -M520s from having a standard old-time alloy set with rat-traps.
    The difference of having the Shimanos was incredible.
    You get extra power transfer as you are locked in, and there are no stretching leather straps.
    Going up hill is a lot easier, and I have finally managed to get the technique of pushing on the down pedal and pulling on the up pedal... calves like oak trees now!
    The thing I like about the Shimanos as well is the sealed spindle, so that they don't deteriorate due to water and grit penetration.
    The shoes are important as well - I have a nice pair of Shimano RT51 shoes - I like them because the cleats are recessed slightly and you can walk in them without damaging the cleats...

Thanks I'll have a google of that....60mph would take some serious balls I think....
    So much for break-neck speed going downhill!
    What about climbs?
    When I lived in Sheffield the ride from my front door up to Owler Bar from Beauchief was a 5-mile climb, gradually getting steeper as you went.
    And then on the return journey there was the wonderful Grindleford Hill... not so long, but very steep.
    Riding 50 miles, starting with the 5-mile up and then doing Grindleford at around 40 miles was, for me, a real test.

Left Winger

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Sinister View Post
    I moved onto Shimano PD -M520s from having a standard old-time alloy set with rat-traps.
    The difference of having the Shimanos was incredible.
    You get extra power transfer as you are locked in, and there are no stretching leather straps.
    Going up hill is a lot easier, and I have finally managed to get the technique of pushing on the down pedal and pulling on the up pedal... calves like oak trees now!
    The thing I like about the Shimanos as well is the sealed spindle, so that they don't deteriorate due to water and grit penetration.
    The shoes are important as well - I have a nice pair of Shimano RT51 shoes - I like them because the cleats are recessed slightly and you can walk in them without damaging the cleats...
    Be aware there are two kinds of cleat for the Shimano pedals - red and yellow.

The yellow cleats allow a small amount of "float" (basically, lateral movement when clipped-in) whereas the red cleats do not.

This is important because the lack of float in the red cleats, whilst in theory allowing even more direct power to the pedals (as you don't lose energy in side-to-side movement) they can cause issues with your knees as the rigid clip doesn't allow the knees to "flex".

Tl:dr unless you're a hardened racer, when using Shimano road pedals always opt for the yellow cleats!

Quote Originally Posted by chriscl View Post
    Be aware there are two kinds of cleat for the Shimano pedals - red and yellow.

The yellow cleats allow a small amount of "float" (basically, lateral movement when clipped-in) whereas the red cleats do not.

This is important because the lack of float in the red cleats, whilst in theory allowing even more direct power to the pedals (as you don't lose energy in side-to-side movement) they can cause issues with your knees as the rigid clip doesn't allow the knees to "flex".

Tl:dr unless you're a hardened racer, when using Shimano road pedals always opt for the yellow cleats!
    Thanks for that info - I wan't aware.
    And I cycle because of knee problems - the legacy of playing too much football and squash when younger.

Left Winger

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Sinister View Post
    Thanks for that info - I wan't aware.
    And I cycle because of knee problems - the legacy of playing too much football and squash when younger.
    Yeah me too - my left knee has basically had it, so I can't run (too much football for me too) so I cycle.