Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 56

Thread: Grolt.. Is he really that bad?

      
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    2,292

    Default Grolt.. Is he really that bad?

    Now I know everyone is going to think straight away that I'm mad, I did when it 1st entereed my mind but when you think about it he really can't be that bad.

    I know Tyson wasn't around for that long last year, but Grolt didn't get 17 goals by fluke whilst he was being played as an out and out striker. So he can score goals clearly whether he can in the championship is another story.

    He always said he wasn't happy with being a wide man of a front 3 which is where he was continually played maybe that is a fault of Calderwood and the reason behind his lack of goals this year. However, when you have the likes of Agogo and Tyson around you can't really blame Calderwood for not putting him there.

    Finnally, his attitude is clearly fantastic he has always said he was fully commited to the club and never had a desire to leave he has just wanted to return fitter and better and get some games under his belt(even though he didn't get any) Now he is saying he wants to return with forest and get his place in the side back.

    Don't get me wrong I thought he was c*ap this year as much as anyone else does. However, he has explained why he thinks he has done c*ap (position he played) He has returned to the club with a fantastic attitude and He has scored more for the club in a season than Tyson or Agogo have (even though they have been injured it is still an interesting statistic.

    Just thought I would set off an interesting debate

    Similar Threads:

  2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many

  3. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    258

    Default Re: Grolt.. Is he really that bad?

    "Is Grolt really that bad"
    yes


  4. #3
    Samuel
    Guest

    Default Re: Grolt.. Is he really that bad?

    The only reason he got 17 goals last season was because he got loads of penalties.

    And I don't like the face that his attitude dipped and same with his effort because he was being played were he didn't want to, if the manager says he plays there, then he should play there, end of.

    He shouldn't think that he can just have a moan and get what he wants.

    I don't rate him, if he isn't falling over, he is arguing with the ref.

    The quicker we get rid, the better.


  5. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    6,922

    Default Re: Grolt.. Is he really that bad?

    Holt has delusions of grandeur , didn't he say that he wanted to showcase himself and move to a "bigger club" when it was announced that Liverpool is the opponent if we can get past Luton in the FA Cup last season ?

    Now that forest have been promoted , apparently forest is a big enough club for him.

    Not good enough , there are better players out there and we should be looking for them.


  6. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    17,612

    Default Re: Grolt.. Is he really that bad?

    Good points well raised Mouldy, I still think Holt has got what it takes to be a able to play a decent part next season, a change of attitude is a must though.

    CC's dealings with errant players have so far been spot on, a spell in the cold may well have worked wonders.


  7. #6
    yam
    Guest

    Default Re: Grolt.. Is he really that bad?

    He might have a part to play as the target man if we play 4-4-2 or maybe 3-5-2

    If we persist with 4-3-3 he won't be much use. It depends if he can step up, he basically a fourth division striker when we bought him and, unlike Tyson who has shown some adaptability, has only been capable of being a target man up front (and scoring penalties).


  8. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Twitter: @Mark_Searby
    Posts
    13,060

    Default Re: Grolt.. Is he really that bad?

    I think he is a decent player and could still play well for us, but his whole attitude was all wrong last season and that's why CC shipped him out. It's obviously taken that for him to realised that he needs to change.


  9. #8
    winnits
    Guest

    Default Re: Grolt.. Is he really that bad?

    If he is:

    1. Played as a forward, not a winger.
    2. Stops falling over when people fart on him.
    3. Stops mithering the referee and/or his team mates

    he could be adequate cover incase our preferred forwards get injured.


  10. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    17,612

    Default Re: Grolt.. Is he really that bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by Winnits
    If he is:

    1. Played as a forward, not a winger.
    2. Stops falling over when people fart on him.
    3. Stops mithering the referee and/or his team mates

    he could be adequate cover incase our preferred forwards get injured.
    No's two and three are, to me the reasons for a great deal of hostility he attracts. Does himself no favours what so ever.


  11. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    796

    Default Re: Grolt.. Is he really that bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by SJ-Rowley!¬
    The only reason he got 17 goals last season was because he got loads of penalties.
    he still has to put it away. and no he ain't that bad, not sure about in the championship but in league one he can do a decent job.
    as for people saying he lacked effort, consider firstly he had a persistant injury at the start of last season, secondly he was played out of position (and don't give me that pro footballer can play anywhere crap!!), and thirdly (if true) he had a fall out with the boss.

    Now how much effort would you put in? I know I'd be slightly less inclined to do 100%.
    I also don't honestly see what was wrong with the shop window quote, agogo more or less said the same and gave less when he played and he was played in position.

    Remember last year we were a lowly league one team, so who wasn't trying to seek a move to a better club?, if the weren't and were happy to stroll around at the City Ground in a dire league getting booed at half time I think questions should be asked about desire, this year we look a lot healthier and as a player to come on and upset a few defenders I don't think Holt is such a bad choice.



  12. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    East Notts
    Posts
    5,637

    Default Re: Grolt.. Is he really that bad?

    Two things, one, Calderwood said we'll still be playing 4-3-3 next season as I remember, which means Holt will still struggle to fit it. Secondly ... shop window.


  13. #12
    Rice IV
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    37,481

    Default Re: Grolt.. Is he really that bad?

    If we buy Beattie, Holt will not figure at all next season.

    Talk to me, Goose.

  14. #13
    I belong to nobody!!!
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Cybertron
    Posts
    3,948

    Default Re: Grolt.. Is he really that bad?

    I honestly think he won't even get a squad number for next season. Earnshaw to get his No10 shirt.


  15. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    6,922

    Default Re: Grolt.. Is he really that bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by richjcrouch
    If we buy Beattie, Holt will not figure at all next season.
    Beattie ? A pipe dream. Never going to happen.

    Way too costly and expensive for forest.



  16. #15
    Rice IV
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    37,481

    Default Re: Grolt.. Is he really that bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by marshal99
    Beattie ? A pipe dream. Never going to happen.

    Way too costly and expensive for forest.
    Maybe, but you say the same thing about anything that looks like it might have a bit of ambition about it.




  17. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    842

    Default Re: Grolt.. Is he really that bad?

    ''Is Grolt that bad''


    I dont think he's a completely rubbish player, he can play abit, it just winds me up when he makes two footed nasty tackles ALL the time, its not necessary, it could get him sent off and then where does that leave us? He doesn't care, bad attitude, i dont want him back here.


  18. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    253

    Default Re: Grolt.. Is he really that bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    "Is Grolt really that bad"
    yes



  19. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    24,207

    Default Re: Grolt.. Is he really that bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    "Is Grolt really that bad"
    yes
    Utterly pointless. You just look silly by not being able to put an argument across.

    Or maybe you can, and it'd come out like this...

    Quote Originally Posted by SJ-Rowley!¬
    The only reason he got 17 goals last season was because he got loads of penalties.
    He scored 4...

    Tyson and Agogo both scored one each, Harris missed one and Lester missed two.

    You can't use the fact a player is good at putting penalties away against him, because you don't like him. You've also got to get the penalties, and Holt won quite a few as well.

    Simply put, Holt doesn't fit into our current system and he needs to play down the centre.

    He has better ball control than Tyson & Agogo, is good in the air, is actually a better finisher in the box than Tyson & Agogo too, he's just NEVER IN THE BOX. He's strong, quite quick for a big guy and not as slow to react as Agogo who's usually half asleep.

    You don't score 17 goals if you're "shit".

    If Grant Holt hadn't scored those goals we would have been nearer relegation than promotion, what with Tyson, Agogo and Dobie always injured.


  20. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    166

    Default Re: Grolt.. Is he really that bad?

    the stick holt gets is not fair at all. like prev comment nobody can question his commitment or workrate he runs his socks off the whole game he plays. he didnt score that many penalties either! im sure pretty much all the ones he did get he won them! if you look back at that season and read the match reports from the games you realise how well he did and how he puts himself about and always manages to create something. iv said before one game through the middle this season 2 goals againts orient and yes he won his own penalty. how often do you see agogo out on the wing? holt was being asked to play in a position he probably knew made him look bad would anyone else like that? i would keep him.


  21. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    24,207

    Default Re: Grolt.. Is he really that bad?

    The few minutes Holt played in the middle last season, we looked good again... then we changed it!

    I think we'd have scored more with Holt down the middle instead of Agogo.

    You'd think his change in attitude was down to being persistantly played out wide, which is Calderwood's fault. He should have loaned him out early on and played a wide player on the left instead of letting Holt and the team suffer by playing him out wide.


  22. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    2,292

    Default Re: Grolt.. Is he really that bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by SJ-Rowley!¬
    The only reason he got 17 goals last season was because he got loads of penalties.

    And I don't like the face that his attitude dipped and same with his effort because he was being played were he didn't want to, if the manager says he plays there, then he should play there, end of.

    He shouldn't think that he can just have a moan and get what he wants.

    I don't rate him, if he isn't falling over, he is arguing with the ref.

    The quicker we get rid, the better.
    I agree with you there but everyone has been complaining because Calderwood plays people out of position to then say it's the managers choice is a bit hipocritiacal (commons springs to mind) * Also 4 of them as mentioned were penaltys and he clearly has a better finish than Agogo or Tyson who between them can't last 1/2 a season. He should be played down the middle as proved he does play their best.


  23. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8,437

    Default Re: Grolt.. Is he really that bad?

    Holt is a good player, when he wants to be. He can score goals as we have seen, he needs to be played down the middle with the right type of pass and he will score.

    Next season i think he will only be a sub, but he could end up being our super sub.


  24. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    2,562

    Default Re: Grolt.. Is he really that bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by dno69
    the stick holt gets is not fair at all. like prev comment nobody can question his commitment or workrate he runs his socks off the whole game he plays.
    Not when I've watched him this season he hasn't, unless it's to chase the ref and have a moan. I would put money on him not being here next season!


  25. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    342

    Default Re: Grolt.. Is he really that bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by the mask of zorro
    Not when I've watched him this season he hasn't, unless it's to chase the ref and have a moan. I would put money on him not being here next season!
    I'd pay money for him not to be here next season. The Championship's above his level.


  26. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    24,207

    Default Re: Grolt.. Is he really that bad?

    There isn't really any evidence to suggest that he can't perform well in the Championship, whichever club he's at.

    He played more Championship football than Forest last season anyway...


 

 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •