Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The deal is you're not allowed to celebrate if we go up this year, okay?

Default Re: The deal is you're not allowed to celebrate if we go up this year, okay?

Quote Originally Posted by PynchonForest View Post
    Why do I follow Forest? I'm not entirely sure these days.

Anyhow, I was an 11 year old kid growing up in Ottawa, who used to annoy my neighbours by kicking what we all a soccer ball against my back yard fence for (at times) hours on end, and I had started watching Soccer made in Germany on Saturday night (with Toby Charles) , and English soccer on sunday night. I believe both were on what we call public television in North America. A few German players like Mannfred Kaltz ( a brilliant attacking right back)and Gerd Zimmermann made an impression on me on Saturdays, and watching Nottingham Forest here and there on sundays, and I became a fan. The whole Robin Hood thing was probably , subconsciously, why I chose Forest. John Robertson, Viv Anderson, Tony Woodcock (one of my best friends had the same last name), Shilton, Garry Birtles (my ferret is named Sammy Birtles) and then later Trev Francis were my heroes as a young guy. I'd buy Shoot magazine constantly to sorta keep up with things, albeit always a week or two late. We had sports leagues on the armed forces base I grew up on for baseball, hockey and American football, but not soccer, so I'd play pick up games with a few other "soocer" mad friends of mine, stuff like 6 v 6 on a full sized field. Always had a great engine, so covering all that space was, I supoose, tons of fun, albeit very tiring. Didn't actually play organized ball until high school, and my high school team (the Merivale Marlins) had about 7 of the ten best players at that age in the city, so we won every single game that season to win the Ottawa Valley Championship. I basically sat on the bench much of the year, and the coach would throw me in for the last half hour after we were up 3 or 4 nil or whatever. And playing with the best local guys made me a lot better a lot quicker than I had been. Played a few years of club ball, captained my side for the first two, then spent an entire season on the bench behind the shitty coaches son (some dick head named Alex March) and then stopped playing due to a knee operation in conjunction with my infatuation with playing guitar and joining a band. Then a long spell where we basically couldn't watch any "soccer" in Morth America until around the mid 90s, when the games started to trickle in again. I always kept up with Forest, but before the advent of the internet it was near impossible. They finally started showing EPL games regularly after the 98 WC, the season Van Donkey went on strike and the year an Alan Rogers goal was all that separated us from an 8-0 drubbing. It was a painful year to start sleeping with my mistress again. We were poor, but loyalty is loyalty, eh?

Anyhow, that's my trip Trellis. The jerking off joke was for telling me to fuck off a few weeks ago. Group hug?
    The impressive length and quality of this post are enough by themselves to earn you a manly hug from me.

I'm also grateful for my new phrase of the week: organized ball.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

winnits

Default Re: The deal is you're not allowed to celebrate if we go up this year, okay?

I am willing to not celebrate promotion this season

Quote Originally Posted by magicwoand View Post
    jerellis was saying this throughout McClarens tenure, until the forum broke him.
    I'm not sure if it was the forum or the McClaren / Cotterill double whammy that broke me, but break I did. Did not renew my ST at the end of that season (giving up front-row Main Stand seats right on the halfway line that we'd had for over a decade in the process) and only returned as an ST holder as of last week when the early bird offer was on. That should give you guys a clearer idea as to why nothing seems that bad as a Forest fan right now - check out my recent '21 months' thread where I think I explained it all pretty well!

This has got to be the funniest thread this year or season. "If we go up"!!

Gary Brazil is in charge, we're going nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by jerellis1 View Post
    Since everyone else has written this season off already (despite the fact we could be two points off the play-offs by Friday afternoon if most of the matches end with home victories), I'm the only one who's allowed to celebrate if we sneak into the play-offs on the final day and then manage to fluke our way to promotion via Wembley.

Fair deal?
    Yeah, alright.