Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.

Thread: Are we just an injury-free squad and a top striker away?

Cato Road SW4

Default Are we just an injury-free squad and a top striker away?

I've seen a lot of people saying we should have a clear out of players etc but imo the real problem is that with so many injuries our back up players have pretty much comprised the whole matchday team for the last few months.

So my question is - do we really need a clear out? Or can we just keep what we've got, hopefully keep our best players fit for the entirety of next season and buy one, maybe even two quality strikers to score goals.

I agree that some players, eg. Miller, Derbyshire need to go but the idea of a wholesale shipping out of players has me a little worried.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: A we just an injury-free squad and a top striker away?

I believe we do need a bit of clear out

The squad if kept reasonably fit wud of strolled a play off place but with contracts coming to an end, loan periods finishing and generall players that are no where near good enough it's time for a spring clean

I'd rather see Pearce promote youth as primary back up. They want it an infinite amount more and they cost a lot less in wages. Raddy is probably on 10k a week... Osborn, Blake etc. are probably on £150 if they're lucky...

Billy Davies long lost lovechild.

It's been well apparent by the countless debates has with the likes of Nffc13 & Halfords lid that some people can't grasp the concept of a backup player. Some are daft enough to think they should have us top 3.

If they are far better in quality then they don't play at this level or want to play every week and won't sit on the bench patiently. Our squads problem is that it relies on too many backup players, but that's largely due to the likes of McClaren & SOD clogging the wage bill up with them.

We don;t need a mass clearout IMO, just a slight trim & replace. A lot of it also depends on what wage they are on.

Based on what I've seen this season..........i.e. most games.

Retained list:

Darlow - had a good season and the best goalkeeper we've had since Norm
    De Vries
    Linhaj - hopefully will be fit
    Cohen - he's come back from a serious injury once.........hopefully he can do it twice
    Lascelles - a success this season
    Hobbs - hopefully will be fit
    Wilson - looked very steady yesterday
    Vaughan - hopefully will be fit
    Reidy - our most creative player
    Lansbury - our second most creative player
    Osbourn - hardworking & young
    Patterson - one of our successes this season
    McLaughlin - I saw him in a preseason friendly ad wasn't impressed but he's still young
    Blake

The get your stuff and clear off list:

Harding - just not good enough
    Collins - borderline but coming to the end of his career anyway
    Moussi
    Henderson - we're not his type of club
    Mackie - hardworking yes but a goalscorer? Nope
    Fox - a left back but I've not been impressed with him so far.
    Greening - doesn't give the ball away, doesn't waste a pass but no pace & zero creativity.
    Halford
    Reyes - an international footballer should be better than this
    Djebbour - OK he's only played a few minutes for us.........but saw nothing in those few minutes
    Tudgay
    Blackstock - was good a couple of seasons ago but his injury at Cardiff has killed his career sadly
    Derbyshire - scored the best goal of the season........but that's all in 3 seasons
    Raddy - we've managed him poorly I know but he has looked poor this season
    Cox - hardworking yes.....a goal scorer? Nope
    Gomis - I've no idea
    Peltier - not impressed
    Abdoun

Of course we won't rid of all these but some of them should be shipped out/put out of their misery.

Psycho is going to be busy and needs to get his back room staff in place sooner rather than later.

Mackie is a very useful component in our full strength team

Cato Road SW4

Just seen the typo in the thread title

*Are

Not that type of player

In answer to the thread title, yes pretty much. Some of our back up players do need replacing though, some are either not good enough, past it, or don't have the mentality to work as part of a team. Thankfully, a few of these contracts end in the summer, so there should be space in the wage bill to bring in fresh hungry players to replace the deadwood.

It is also one of the downsides of changing the manager every year, that he will want to bring in his own players, have his own style and tactics. It means we are permanently a club in transition, waiting for the new players to gel for the first half of each new season etc. Appointing a director of football would help but I can't see that happening in the near future.

“A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and make sure you are.”

Default Re: Are we just an injury-free squad and a top striker away?

I was a big fan of Danny Ings, but it looks like Burnley re going up. Quite a few others have been mentioned (Rhodes, Wickham, Mulenga, Nugent etc.)
    I like the look of Troy Deeney atm, looks like a player who would be a lot better in a better team. Having said that, I'll probably change my mind again by tea time!

No way do we need to sell all them, moussi, harding, greening, tudgay, blackstock, miller. Let abdoun and djebbour go aswell cause there has been so much confrontation over them it may have gone past the point of no return for them. Get a striker and were done. Our squad was always to big, unless we have another freak season like this which I dont think we will as I suspect a lot was down to billy and training to hard. When reid got injured we had played 3 games in a week and a half and he had them training the day before a match.

Looking Hairy

We need a fit squad, a decent striker and a manager who can get them playing together.

Let majewski go as well, he needs games and he isnt good enough and were not patient enough to give him them

Yes, we do need a clear out but we'll also need to spend more to get the players we need.

Yes, with everyone available we've got a pretty good first xi, and bench and if we can add a goalscorer to that, even better. We're not that far away but the deadwood needs clearing out this summer and just a few shrewd additions, no more, as we need to keep a settled squad together and keep all the key names, ie Darlow, Lascelles, Hobbs, Wilson, Lansbury, Vaughan, Reid, Cohen, Paterson, and if we do that, and if Pearce can get more out of abdoun and Djebbour, we can't be as unlucky with injuries next year, then we'll be looking ok.

We need a semi clearout, not necessarily just for football reasons.

I don't want to tempt fate but I just can't see us getting the sheer amount of key long term injuries at the same time again, and feel barring an injury to a player or 2 we are not far away at all.
    The lack of a consistent striker is the omission. I think it's SP major priority pre season.

We were no where near across the season with a fully-fit squad before the injury crisis hit in January/February. I guess we will see whether it was the manager or the squad (or both) next season. The league will be tougher; there's some top sides coming down, and a fair few building well in the division already, not to mention Wolves coming up. Hopefully Pearce will be a 'win every game' type of manager, not a 'draw your away games' type.

The number of teams challenging alone is going to make it tough.

The ones we'd expect to challenge:

Fulham
    Sunderland
    Cardiff
    3 of QPR, Derby, Wigan and Reading
    Forest
    Brighton

Then there's the ones building that could well challenge:

Ipswich
    Bournemouth
    Watford
    Middlesbrough
    Huddersfield
    Wolves

Then there's a few under new ownership or a new manager who could feasibly turn them into a surprise threat with investment:

Leeds
    Charlton
    Millwall

That's 17 teams right there. Fair enough, I've taken a few liberties in some cases - some of these may not be in this league next year - but you get the idea of how tough it is going to be.

In more relevance to the question, I still believe Djebbour can be the top striker we need, if he's integrated properly and actually played/passed to. I don't see these rumours of him 'failing to settle' as his fault or bad luck, but more as our fault in not helping him settle. It's been all chaos and negativity at the club since he signed; hopefully he can get on track now.

Better Call Saul!

Quote Originally Posted by Jara Wizard, Harry View Post
    We were no where near across the season with a fully-fit squad before the injury crisis hit in January/February. I guess we will see whether it was the manager or the squad (or both) next season. The league will be tougher; there's some top sides coming down, and a fair few building well in the division already, not to mention Wolves coming up. Hopefully Pearce will be a 'win every game' type of manager, not a 'draw your away games' type.

The number of teams challenging alone is going to make it tough.

The ones we'd expect to challenge:

Fulham
    Sunderland
    Cardiff
    3 of QPR, Derby, Wigan and Reading
    Forest
    Brighton

Then there's the ones building that could well challenge:

Ipswich
    Bournemouth
    Watford
    Middlesbrough
    Huddersfield
    Wolves

Then there's a few under new ownership or a new manager who could feasibly turn them into a surprise threat with investment:

Leeds
    Charlton
    Millwall

That's 17 teams right there. Fair enough, I've taken a few liberties in some cases - some of these may not be in this league next year - but you get the idea of how tough it is going to be.

In more relevance to the question, I still believe Djebbour can be the top striker we need, if he's integrated properly and actually played/passed to. I don't see these rumours of him 'failing to settle' as his fault or bad luck, but more as our fault in not helping him settle. It's been all chaos and negativity at the club since he signed; hopefully he can get on track now.
    there'll be three coming up as well from Lg 1 looking to shoot straight through - often doesn't happen like that but you can't rule out the Southamptons of this world

Our squad next season should be (ideally)....

Darlow
    De Vries

Lichaj
    Jara

Wilson
    Hobbs
    Lascelles
    Halford/ NEW CB

Cohen
    NEW LB (youngster)

Pato
    Mackie

Vaughan
    Lansbury
    Majewski (Think him and Jara should maybe be given another chance - talents there)
    Reid
    NEW CM

Abdoun
    Osborn

Djebbour
    NEW ST
    NEW ST

Maybe new winger too....

We are what we are

We need 2 strikers with pace and a couple of wingers as well. MF is fine if injury free. We surely can't have another freak season of injuries....

Here, there & anywhere that will have me..

A bit of overkill on here. Just let go those who are out of contract. Add a defensive midfielder that can also play as a right back (Peltier looks good enough) and another striker that has pace. That would be sufficient.

The beast is stirring yet again!! :devil:

it has nothing to do with football or NFFC

You'd ideally want to get the big earners that don't perform out, so you can get players who can perform.
    It's all good and well saying.. Get rid of Cox for example, but who is going to offer a decent price and wage for someone that struggles for 10 goals a season?

We need to buy the best talent from league one, not premier league journey men on massive wages.