Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Time to test the youth squad..?

Default Re: Time to test the youth squad..?

Quote Originally Posted by 8balluk View Post
    Is there a right back in the youth team?
    Lad called Polimos. Not better than Jara/Peltier/Halford.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by incapable hulk View Post
    Just watching Brazil's Forest, they seem to play a lot of hoofball with very little clue of what to do, and frequently almost come to blows on the pitch.

Maybe his approach at academy level is not working?

Just speculating though, but watching the way he sets Forest up and how they perform, fills me with dread for the academy.

Course, could be entirely wrong and just frustrated with his performances with the first team
    Doesn't look good at all

Either his message is not getting across or his message is getting accros and that's the type of football he like

Either way not good

Masuka/Robbie Red Hat

Iím unsure what the issues are, if we go back 2yrs we had a very successful youth team that was the side that reached the FA Youth Cup semi-final, but prior to that, that team didnít loss many games if Iím right I think they lost around 15 games in 5 years? I think that says something about the standard that was set at the club by Nick Marshall and his coaching staff.

In my opinion since Nick has left the club the standards have dropped, again I used to watch these teams play every Saturday/Sunday and not many teams matched what we had, if you look at the players within that side Wallace, Fenton, Gorman, Blake, Kamaneno, Gnahore, have all played international football, and as I said in my earlier post these boys donít seem to have developed that much over the last couple of years, that could be the boys themselves, or has the coaching taken a backward step?

When I compare coaches on the sideline it makes me wander what has gone on since Nick Marshall left the club, and I have witnessed, which Iím sure will be supported by others at the comments given to certain players, and Iím not just talking about the odd comment, I can safely say at almost every game certain players have had so much verbal abuse Iím surprised that someone has not been reported, and itís not surprising the players have not been preforming, I think one point that canít be overlooked is why Steve Chettle decided to leave and coach at non-league football, it could be a fact that his son plays for Ilkeston Town? But I have to say he was one of the best coaches Iíve seen at the club, always encouraging the lads, Iíve seen him standing on the pitch in the goal mouth at half time taking to the center backs showing what they need to be doing, and you could see the boys loved working for him, but with regard to Charlie McParland, well it looked such a different story ranting and raving every two minutes, the players are looking like rabbits in car head lights, and I think that says it all, I know Forest will again lose some very good young talent, and thatís a shame, as the U21 system is designed to give the boys more time to develop, but Iím sure the lads that leave will get that somewhere else.

Boys who could make it? Wallace, Gorman, Fenton, Blake all have a very good chance, I think Blake may make his debut over the next few weeks depending on how the next few results go, Wallace, Hollingworth, Kamaneno, Gorman will be gone at the end of the season, Iím sure that Wallace and Gorman will end up at very good clubs, and play first team football.

interesting, and also worrying, read that.

Psycho will be all over the development set up when he starts you would assume, that will be one of the shrewdest things about his appointment, along with his legend status that should see him get at least a little more patience than has been shown so far. Hopefully.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Hood's Men View Post
    With regard to Charlie McParland, well it looked such a different story ranting and raving every two minutes.
    Even in post match interviews, he came across as a bit of a tw*t. Hardly had a positive thing to say about them. It was all about toughening them up, naivety, etc etc.

I know that Gary Brazil is public enemy number 1 at the moment, and is currently being blamed for all the woes of the first team, but let's not forget that he was strongly involved in the foundations of success that Fulham are currently experiencing with their youth team. I don't know if he's the man to take overall control of the academy, but to be fair, he was reluctant to do so anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by UndisclosedFee View Post
    Even in post match interviews, he came across as a bit of a tw*t. Hardly had a positive thing to say about them. It was all about toughening them up, naivety, etc etc.

I know that Gary Brazil is public enemy number 1 at the moment, and is currently being blamed for all the woes of the first team, but let's not forget that he was strongly involved in the foundations of success that Fulham are currently experiencing with their youth team. I don't know if he's the man to take overall control of the academy, but to be fair, he was reluctant to do so anyway.
    I think the personalities of a 1st manager and that of an academy manager are hugely different anyway. I think that's why you see Brazil quietly observing and rarely making radical changes. Because that's not in his nature as an academy manager, where it's more about patience, nurturing and letting people make mistakes and learn from them.

I don't think it was ever in doubt that with Billy around, the academy would suffer anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by bgd View Post
    I think the personalities of a 1st manager and that of an academy manager are hugely different anyway. I think that's why you see Brazil quietly observing and rarely making radical changes. Because that's not in his nature as an academy manager, where it's more about patience, nurturing and letting people make mistakes and learn from them.
    Getting players to learn from mistakes has been part of our downfall recently (Danny Collins & Gonzalo Jara, I'm looking at you). Pearce will be a breath of fresh air in this respect (I hope and expect).

I don't think it was ever in doubt that with Billy around, the academy would suffer anyway.
    Careful, results haven't been going our way, and the Billy lovers are out in force. They might hear you.

Masuka/Robbie Red Hat

I’m unsure what the issues are, if we go back 2yrs we had a very successful youth team that was the side that reached the FA Youth Cup semi-final, but prior to that, that team didn’t loss many games if I’m right I think they lost around 15 games in 5 years? I think that says something about the standard that was set at the club by Nick Marshall and his coaching staff.

In my opinion since Nick has left the club the standards have dropped, again I used to watch these teams play every Saturday/Sunday and not many teams matched what we had, if you look at the players within that side Wallace, Fenton, Gorman, Blake, Kamaneno, Gnahore, have all played international football, and as I said in my earlier post these boys don’t seem to have developed that much over the last couple of years, that could be the boys themselves, or has the coaching taken a backward step?

When I compare coaches on the sideline it makes me wander what has gone on since Nick Marshall left the club, and I have witnessed, which I’m sure will be supported by others at the comments given to certain players, and I’m not just talking about the odd comment, I can safely say at almost every game certain players have had so much verbal abuse I’m surprised that someone has not been reported, and it’s not surprising the players have not been preforming, I think one point that can’t be overlooked is why Steve Chettle decided to leave and coach at non-league football, it could be a fact that his son plays for Ilkeston Town? But I have to say he was one of the best coaches I’ve seen at the club, always encouraging the lads, I’ve seen him standing on the pitch in the goal mouth at half time taking to the center backs showing what they need to be doing, and you could see the boys loved working for him, but with regard to Charlie McParland, well it looked such a different story ranting and raving every two minutes, the players are looking like rabbits in car head lights, and I think that says it all, I know Forest will again lose some very good young talent, and that’s a shame, as the U21 system is designed to give the boys more time to develop, but I’m sure the lads that leave will get that somewhere else.

Boys who could make it? Wallace, Gorman, Fenton, Blake all have a very good chance, I think Blake may make his debut over the next few weeks depending on how the next few results go, Wallace, Hollingworth, Kamaneno, Gorman will be gone at the end of the season, I’m sure that Wallace and Gorman will end up at very good clubs, and play first team football.
    Isnt Gary Brazil our youth team coach with a shocking record.

Enough said

Quote Originally Posted by UndisclosedFee View Post
    Getting players to learn from mistakes has been part of our downfall recently (Danny Collins & Gonzalo Jara, I'm looking at you). Pearce will be a breath of fresh air in this respect (I hope and expect).

Careful, results haven't been going our way, and the Billy lovers are out in force. They might hear you.
    Ignoring many worrying voices from those who went to watch, had young lads involved in our academy, and how very similar happened at Derby.

The simple fact he had his son and nephew playing in the U21's ahead of far more talented lads should indicate to Billy-lovers, that his care for the academy and youth at Forest was minimal.

Ignoring many worrying voices from those who went to watch, had young lads involved in our academy, and how very similar happened at Derby.

The simple fact he had his son and nephew playing in the U21's ahead of far more talented lads should indicate to Billy-lovers, that his care for the academy and youth at Forest was minimal.
    Of course it should. You and I both know that it won't though, and will probably point to his son's loan as a Billy success.

I sincerely hope that Stuart Pearce re-introduces what many other clubs do with their younger players, allowing a few at a time to train with the 1st team, to give them a bit of experience, ease them in, and show them the standards they need to aspire to (hopefully higher standards than shown recently).

Gary Brazil was actually brought in as Under 18 coach (a job that has since been done by Steve Chettle and now Jimmy Gilligan) by Nick Marshall. His success at Fulham came in that role under Huw Jennings (their Academy Director) and they've since had a very good couple of years at u18/u21 level.

When Billy sacked Marshall/Pembo, etc, Brazil was placed in an interim position as Academy Director (for about a year), a role which he said at the beginning he didn't really want, as he preferred the coaching side of things. Now all of a sudden, he's running the whole club.

Hopefully once this season's out of the way, Fawaz will implement a proper structure at the club, which will include the academy. Then we can start appointing staff on merit and let them go about bringing the academy back up to standard. The constant change over the last 18 months, will not have helped at all.

Quote Originally Posted by chriscl View Post
    Sounds like another good prospect coming through.

I wonder if he can beat his dad?
    I wonder if his dad taught him how to beat him... could be deadly.

It's very dissapointing thats there appears to be so many problems with the academy after we heard for so long we had a 'golden generation'.

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    I wonder if his dad taught him how to beat him... could be deadly.

It's very dissapointing thats there appears to be so many problems with the academy after we heard for so long we had a 'golden generation'.
    What defines 'A golden generation' ? I also don't think it was ever dubbed that. Just that there is some highly thought of talent in the ranks. But that only goes so far. Our system from top to bottom has let our club down and more importantly some of the players down possibly.

Karl Darlow (4m rejected in January so in excess of that possibly)
    Jamaal Lascelles (Talk of 5-10m)
    Patrick Bamford (1.5m + add ons and sell-ons)

Right there that easily 10-15m and it could have been more if we allowed a pathway for Bamford and he signed a contract with us and could have fetched more up front.

Then there is Kieron Freeman who we have a sell-on with too. Quite a large one to with us letting him go to Derby for free.

There is a possibility of more to come. Think we can get a better judgement when or if they've played 15 to 20 games.

Quote Originally Posted by BryanRoy View Post
    What defines 'A golden generation' ? I also don't think it was ever dubbed that. Just that there is some highly thought of talent in the ranks. But that only goes so far. Our system from top to bottom has let our club down and more importantly some of the players down possibly.

Karl Darlow (4m rejected in January so in excess of that possibly)
    Jamaal Lascelles (Talk of 5-10m)
    Patrick Bamford (1.5m + add ons and sell-ons)

Right there that easily 10-15m and it could have been more if we allowed a pathway for Bamford and he signed a contract with us and could have fetched more up front.

Then there is Kieron Freeman who we have a sell-on with too. Quite a large one to with us letting him go to Derby for free.

There is a possibility of more to come. Think we can get a better judgement when or if they've played 15 to 20 games.
    It's a figure of speech isn't it.

Nigel Doughty spoke many times of how the lads at the time were meant to be the best crop for a long time and that the groups who were younger (again at the time) were better than the older ones.

I went to watch the U21s on Friday against Barnsley, where we lost 1-0, got to say the standard was awful, I cant see any of these lads being involved with the 1st next season, I noticed the Wallace was walking around with a cast on his foot, dose anyone know what he has done? and how long will he be out? without him in midfield the team just looks so imbalanced, I also noticed young Gorman not even kitted up I asked him if he was injured and he said no, again dose anyone know what is going on has this seems very strange, when the team was missing a very good strong CB, again a player that was badly missed.

One of the parents where saying that Fenton/Blake will make there debuts when it is mathematically imposable for us to reach the play offs, its only my option but they are not near ready or good enough for first team football, they say that GB is the best mate of Blake's dad? here we go again, what with Bill's son and nephew getting picked in front of ours that where better than them, but let's wait and see what happens, just maybe we will get some answers has to why our U21's is not working.

Don't know what is wrong with Wallace, he doesn't seem to have a lot of luck with injuries. A real unsung player Imo who I've always thought has a real chance if making it.
    I've heard that Gorman is being released and has had or is having trials at Leicester which unless he has deteriorated massively this year baffles me.

Jack Blake has been with us since he was a nipper and has earned an opportunity for me ( a Forest fan too) whether he is ready or not I'll bow to the opinion of those who have seen more of him than I have this season.

I went to watch the U21s on Friday against Barnsley, where we lost 1-0, got to say the standard was awful, I cant see any of these lads being involved with the 1st next season, I noticed the Wallace was walking around with a cast on his foot, dose anyone know what he has done? and how long will he be out? without him in midfield the team just looks so imbalanced, I also noticed young Gorman not even kitted up I asked him if he was injured and he said no, again dose anyone know what is going on has this seems very strange, when the team was missing a very good strong CB, again a player that was badly missed.

One of the parents where saying that Fenton/Blake will make there debuts when it is mathematically imposable for us to reach the play offs, its only my option but they are not near ready or good enough for first team football, they say that GB is the best mate of Blake's dad? here we go again, what with Bill's son and nephew getting picked in front of ours that where better than them, but let's wait and see what happens, just maybe we will get some answers has to why our U21's is not working.
    Blake has been highly rated well before Brazil came to the club.

its worth considering also that some may well make the step up when alongside better players.

I'd certainly give Fenton and Blake a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Wes' Organ View Post
    Don't know what is wrong with Wallace, he doesn't seem to have a lot of luck with injuries. A real unsung player Imo who I've always thought has a real chance if making it.
    I've heard that Gorman is being released and has had or is having trials at Leicester which unless he has deteriorated massively this year baffles me.
    I agree if Gorman has gone it baffles me, one thing for sure he will get snapped up, it makes us look right mugs if he goes to Leicester? One of the parents where saying that Charlie had it in for him, so who make the overall decision, as I here that Wallace has been released to and Derby are interested in taken so much for U21 development, it makes a joke of the system.

The U21 system was designed to give young players the opportunity to develop between the ages of 18 & 21 rather than being binned off at 18 because there wasn't really anywhere for them to play. The reserve league was generally full of gnarly old pro's, players coming back from injury with the odd young 'un getting a run out. We seem to use the 21's to give 17/18 year olds games against bigger lads, the result of which seems to be they get good at losing games.
    I don't understand why we don't use the 21's in the way it was intended I think that many of our players would benefit from a little more time to make up for development time lost to injuries for example. Karlton Watson is an example who immediately springs to mind, at one time a bigger prospect than Jamaal but lost 18 months to an injury and that was the end of that. An extra 2/3 years at £300 a week could unearth some real bargains.

Quote Originally Posted by Wes' Organ View Post
    The U21 system was designed to give young players the opportunity to develop between the ages of 18 & 21 rather than being binned off at 18 because there wasn't really anywhere for them to play. The reserve league was generally full of gnarly old pro's, players coming back from injury with the odd young 'un getting a run out. We seem to use the 21's to give 17/18 year olds games against bigger lads, the result of which seems to be they get good at losing games.
    I don't understand why we don't use the 21's in the way it was intended I think that many of our players would benefit from a little more time to make up for development time lost to injuries for example. Karlton Watson is an example who immediately springs to mind, at one time a bigger prospect than Jamaal but lost 18 months to an injury and that was the end of that. An extra 2/3 years at £300 a week could unearth some real bargains.
    You are completely right, but all of that falls at the mercy who is responsible for them. The staff we had in recently, have shown many times to not be interested in that side of football. They'd rather buy 'proven' players the majority of the time.

Hopefully Pearce, who has stated his interest in youth, will get it running smoothly again. It's just a shame that we've probably pushed a few talented lads away this last season.

You are completely right, but all of that falls at the mercy who is responsible for them. The staff we had in recently, have shown many times to not be interested in that side of football. They'd rather buy 'proven' players the majority of the time.

Hopefully Pearce, who has stated his interest in youth, will get it running smoothly again. It's just a shame that we've probably pushed a few talented lads away this last season.

That's the whole problem with the club. Do we want to be a club that has its academy instigate its success, or the first team? We've had managers with differing thoughts on that walk in the door in the past 2 years, and the academy don't know what to do.

That's why I like the idea of Pearce looking at it all. Exactly what is needed.