Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 94

Thread: Greg Halford

      
  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    17,616

    Default Greg Halford

    Whilst admitted his showing last night, couldn't be regarded as the finest, he seems to be the player of his era cursed to forever " Take one for the team ", consequently becoming the butt of less appreciative fans at the City Ground.

    His willingness and ability to play in several positions, gets him the unwanted title of Mr Versatile, thus he is the player who becomes the square peg in the round hole, doing an honest hardworking job, but damned forever to be compared to the specialist role player he deputies for. Last night immediate comparisons to Cox, for obvious reasons.

    This versatility, doesn't allow him a run in a settled position within the team, double damning him in the eyes of many. Still he joins two other fine players who's contributions in recent years have been overlooked by some of the fan base, whilst giving their all for the squad.

    Without the likes of John Thompson, James Perch and now Greg Halford, the managers life and the playing squad would be subject to a great deal more pressure.


  2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many

  3. #2

    Default

    His time as a striker should now be over. Whilst he has "done a job" up there when required, we have much better forward players to play up there. All Halford really gives us up front in height so surely Henderson is a better option if that's what we are after?

    Why Billy picked him ahead of Henderson or Cox last night I don't know and it almost lost us the match.


  4. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    6,394

    Default Re: Greg Halford

    Very simple why BD picked him upfront - height. The ability to cause issues in the air via setpieces and high balls. Halford is slightly more mobile than Henderson , not much but a little more mobile and while cox is more mobile than both , he loses out heavily in height.

    Halford didn't work out yesterday - sure but he did in the past. BD can see that it's not working hence why he changed Cox for Halford for the 2nd half.


  5. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    'ull
    Posts
    8,010

    Default Re: Greg Halford

    Agreed sedge. I would prefer him now to slot in next to Lascelles until Kelv gets back as I prefer him over Collins. Unless Gomis is the dogs of course.


  6. #5
    Sexual Tyrannosaurus
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Behind you
    Posts
    37,531

    Default Re: Greg Halford

    He can now be a versatile defender. I really like Greg, he's got on and done everything asked of him, but he's no striker.


  7. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Across the road
    Posts
    4,437

    Default Re: Greg Halford

    Better than Perch


  8. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    5,559

    Default Re: Greg Halford

    Well he can do a job anywhere, that's why having a player like Greg Halford in your team does wonders for you. Without him our defensive problems would have been far worse than they already are/were.


  9. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,675

    Default Re: Greg Halford

    Quote Originally Posted by thehockleyhustler View Post
    His time as a striker should now be over. Whilst he has "done a job" up there when required, we have much better forward players to play up there. All Halford really gives us up front in height so surely Henderson is a better option if that's what we are after?

    Why Billy picked him ahead of Henderson or Cox last night I don't know and it almost lost us the match.
    This. Halford should only play up top if there are no other options. He can now go back to filling in along the back line if needed


  10. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Solzbreh
    Posts
    1,362

    Default Re: Greg Halford

    Quote Originally Posted by matt1982 View Post
    This. Halford should only play up top if there are no other options. He can now go back to filling in along the back line if needed
    Considering we now have 6 strikers or so, we shouldn't ever come to the point where we have 'no other options'. Stick to dee-fence, Gerg. You're better at it.


  11. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    16,604

    Default Re: Greg Halford

    Quote Originally Posted by thehockleyhustler View Post
    Why Billy picked him ahead of Henderson or Cox last night I don't know and it almost lost us the match.
    The 3 consecutive goals against QPR, Leeds and Reading may have been a factor


  12. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    2,660

    Default Re: Greg Halford

    His problem now is that we have better players than him in all positions.

    Jack of all trades, master of none


  13. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    7,817

    Default

    Always handy to have on your bench.


  14. #13

    Default Re: Greg Halford

    And always handy if you're chasing a game in the last 15 minutes or so because of his throw.


  15. #14

    Default Re: Greg Halford

    I can understand why he was picked to start. Because recently he had played a massive part in our victories, whereas the strikers on the bench
    had not being producing the goods. It was a tactic that did not work last night, however, so he was ineffective. I think it depends on the kind of team we
    are playing, and against Watford we needed different kinds of strikers.


  16. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Newark
    Posts
    189

    Default Re: Greg Halford

    There can't be many players in their careers who in the space of 10 weeks

    gets bought on at half time as a centre half to shore up a panicky defence that beats the Championship leaders on their home ground
    followed by 3 consecutive clean sheets as a right back
    followed by 3 goals in 3 games as a centre forward.

    He was poor last night, very poor but he wasn't helped greatly by the movement and passing around him by the other players either in the first half....and none of it was through lack of effort.

    This is why I don't like fans laying into players and writing them off. They're not robots and they have bad games and runs of bad form. Grumblings ranging to abuse from fans generally will only make them worse.


  17. #16

    Default Re: Greg Halford

    Quote Originally Posted by RufusTFirefly View Post
    His problem now is that we have better players than him in all positions.

    Jack of all trades, master of none
    Been a great squad player but after this window can see him being a permanent fixture on the bench


  18. #17
    Tudders number 1 fan
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Shakey Wakey/Leeds Border
    Posts
    12,657

    Default Re: Greg Halford

    He is a great player, without him this year we would have been fucked, He has played for the team and it must be hard when you are being told" play up front no at the back no up front head the ball away get it on target track back stay up.........."


  19. #18

    Default Re: Greg Halford

    Has he played in goal yet?


  20. #19
    Too School For Cool
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    7th Heaven
    Posts
    9,252

    Default Re: Greg Halford

    From now on his role will be to plug any gaps that appear.

    Much like Michael Caine in Zulu.


  21. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    In isolation.
    Posts
    8,266

    Default Re: Greg Halford

    Quote Originally Posted by Ajlee17 View Post
    Considering we now have 6 strikers or so, we shouldn't ever come to the point where we have 'no other options'. Stick to dee-fence, Gerg. You're better at it.
    We have 1 striker more than the quantum that has seen Halford play striker on about 8 separate occasions.

    If Djeebbour was to be injured or suspect or whatever we can hypotheticate for his absence, is it not possible that Halford would still be the next choice?


  22. #21
    Too School For Cool
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    7th Heaven
    Posts
    9,252

    Default Re: Greg Halford

    Quote Originally Posted by Massive Cox Fan View Post
    We have 1 striker more than the quantum that has seen Halford play striker on about 8 separate occasions.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	QoS.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	6366


  23. #22
    Miserable bastard
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    , Location, Location.
    Posts
    17,675

    Default Re: Greg Halford

    I don't mind him being the target man, as long as it's in a set-up where we play the trendy 'wide-strikers' either side of him - roles which Cox and Mackie do reasonably well. However, when we deploy our more traditional wingers - Abdoun and Patterson, they don't get close enough to him to feed on his knock-downs and his lack of natural striking instinct becomes more apparent - something which doens't happen when Henderson is up there.


  24. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Sarf-West London
    Posts
    853

    Default Re: Greg Halford

    Quote Originally Posted by DocForest View Post
    There can't be many players in their careers who in the space of 10 weeks

    gets bought on at half time as a centre half to shore up a panicky defence that beats the Championship leaders on their home ground
    followed by 3 consecutive clean sheets as a right back
    followed by 3 goals in 3 games as a centre forward.

    He was poor last night, very poor but he wasn't helped greatly by the movement and passing around him by the other players either in the first half....and none of it was through lack of effort.

    This is why I don't like fans laying into players and writing them off. They're not robots and they have bad games and runs of bad form. Grumblings ranging to abuse from fans generally will only make them worse.
    This.

    I've seen too many matches this season where from a goal kick:
    - An aimless hoof bounces off an incredibly isolated striker, leading to the other team starting an attack
    - Someone (normally Mackie or Halford) standing on the touchline as its kicked out and running infield to try and win it - they dont, and the opposition gets the ball and start the attack.

    Neither of those scenarios would lead me to all this 'Halfords useless etc etc' - hes got a (sometimes inaccurate) goal kick to deal with, no movement around him, and no-one anticipating the second ball.
    Is he supposed to be superman or something?


  25. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    600

    Default Re: Greg Halford

    i think hes a decent player who has never let us down, but if we get promoted we need players of higher quality then halford.


  26. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,063

    Default Re: Greg Halford

    he was a bit predictable because he isnt a centre forward, not his fault he was played there but it showed when we brought proper strikers on 4 goals from the lads who cant find the net ? Get in!


 

 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •