Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    4,271

    Default Paid Medical Research

    I think we should all chip in and pay for research to be carried out on JWJW as he is clearly a rare species......only joking, thinking to earn a little extra cash has anyone ever been paid to take part in medical research? Anyone willing to share experience?


  2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many

  3. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    3,442

    Default Re: Paid Medical Research

    Not taken part mate. The risks are pretty low, but is it really worth risking your health for 200 nicker? Just donate sperm or something if you're really hard pressed.


  4. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    4,271

    Default Re: Paid Medical Research

    Quote Originally Posted by WeAreNottingham View Post
    Not taken part mate. The risks are pretty low, but is it really worth risking your health for 200 nicker? Just donate sperm or something if you're really hard pressed.
    Lol cos that's not risky!


  5. #4
    Where's me hammer?
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    45,225

    Default Re: Paid Medical Research

    Lad I used to work with did it. Said he went for a few trial runs ie they need 10 people, invite 20 in pick 10 and bung the other 10, 70 quid plus expenses.... He did that a few times then he got picked for one got 750 quid, spent two nights in queens med playing ps3 all food and drink sorted, just had to take a few pills, had a medical then go back 2 weeks later for a blood test. Said it was easy money and he got the added bonus of being away from his missus for a few nights..... Win win.


  6. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Long Eaton
    Posts
    484

    Default Re: Paid Medical Research

    I have
    And found the same experience as Terry Wilson's mate
    Easy money and it's relatively safe, it's only seen as otherwise due to the freak results from that London study
    The hardest part is watching your diet prior to going in and remembering to sheathe up with the missus


  7. #6
    Monk De Wally De Honk
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WeAreNottingham View Post
    Just donate sperm or something if you're really hard pressed.
    Ten quid a shot, and if you are doing itfor the money, you must be desperate


  8. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    5,180

    Default Re: Paid Medical Research

    Quote Originally Posted by No 5 Terry Wilson View Post
    Lad I used to work with did it. Said he went for a few trial runs ie they need 10 people, invite 20 in pick 10 and bung the other 10, 70 quid plus expenses.... He did that a few times then he got picked for one got 750 quid, spent two nights in queens med playing ps3 all food and drink sorted, just had to take a few pills, had a medical then go back 2 weeks later for a blood test. Said it was easy money and he got the added bonus of being away from his missus for a few nights..... Win win.
    I got it even better than that, went to do one, got told I couldn't do it at that screening but they gave me £50 for turning up, although disappointed I didn't get on to get the big money I was happy to get £50 for sitting in a room talking about my lifestyle for half an hour!

    A couple of months down the line, I casually go to check my bank balance and find the company have placed the first instalment of the trial payment into my account, a very healthy £1500! I never heard from them again which was even more jammy!

    So I literally got a win-win I got £1500 for doing absolutely f*ck all and no risk involved either!

    They're quite good these trials in my experience!


  9. #8
    twitter.com/askyourbrief
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    4,275

    Default Re: Paid Medical Research

    I met a guy in South Africa who used to live in London. Said he was offered £16k to see if they could surgically remove and then reattach his little toe. He didn't do it in the end.


  10. #9
    Senior Pol
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Echo Beach
    Posts
    4,658

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chap View Post
    I met a guy in South Africa who used to live in London. Said he was offered £16k to see if they could surgically remove and then reattach his little toe. He didn't do it in the end.
    I'd be quite tempted by that offer to be fair. It's not like you need it for owt if it goes wrong and you lose it.

    "Charlie don't surf for his hamburger momma!!"

  11. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    16,602

    Default Re: Paid Medical Research

    Quote Originally Posted by chap View Post
    I met a guy in South Africa who used to live in London. Said he was offered £16k to see if they could surgically remove and then reattach his little toe. He didn't do it in the end.
    16k... sign me up


  12. #11
    Dancing in the Trent End
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Mapperley
    Posts
    5,037

    Default Re: Paid Medical Research

    Quote Originally Posted by chap View Post
    I met a guy in South Africa who used to live in London. Said he was offered £16k to see if they could surgically remove and then reattach his little toe. He didn't do it in the end.
    You can have my ear for that money.


  13. #12

    Default Re: Paid Medical Research

    I wouldn't do that for 100k. Feet are great. I've been wearing an air cast for a month. If I don't be to go for a run soon I'm probably going to have to kill.


  14. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    4,271

    Default Re: Paid Medical Research

    Even more tempted tbh not sure about losing a toe mind would presumably stop the football or impact at least?


  15. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    The Sarf
    Posts
    28,097

    Default Re: Paid Medical Research

    I would never do this for any money.
    It's not worth taking risks with your health for a few quid, even if it's safe 99% of the time.


  16. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    4,271

    Default Re: Paid Medical Research

    Quote Originally Posted by Tutts View Post
    I would never do this for any money.
    It's not worth taking risks with your health for a few quid, even if it's safe 99% of the time.
    Devils advocate, have you never got blindingly drunk in public or taken recreational drugs (no need to answer just a thinking point) surely the risks are higher and rewards lesser?


  17. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    The Sarf
    Posts
    28,097

    Default Re: Paid Medical Research

    Quote Originally Posted by porks View Post
    Devils advocate, have you never got blindingly drunk in public or taken recreational drugs (no need to answer just a thinking point) surely the risks are higher and rewards lesser?
    Good point. But at the same time, you kind of know where you are with drink. Medical testing - in particular the drugs side of it, rather than having your toe removed, is just a complete unknown.


  18. #17

    Default Re: Paid Medical Research

    Would you rather have a toe removed for 16k in the name of medical research, or pee yourself at every Forest home match for the remainder of the season?


  19. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Derby
    Posts
    13,007

    Default Re: Paid Medical Research

    Quote Originally Posted by Tomas View Post
    I have
    And found the same experience as Terry Wilson's mate
    Easy money and it's relatively safe, it's only seen as otherwise due to the freak results from that London study
    The hardest part is watching your diet prior to going in and remembering to sheathe up with the missus
    The London study was at Northwick Park. It was a first in man study of a biological medicine that resulted in the patient having a very severe reaction (a cytokine storm). This incident resulted in changes to how first in man studies are carried out. Now researchers have to treat one patient at a time and review response before treating another patient. It is also stipulated for first in man studies that access is available to a fully operational ITU. Prior to first in man studies there has often been primate and other animal studies unless the biological pharmacokinetics of the study have already been approved by the MHRA.

    The study impacted on uptake to new medical research for early phase trials but the changes and strict stipulations from the MHRA mean that these studies are safe. Doesn't mean there is no risk but that would be assessed on a case by case basis related to health background etc. Equally medical research is often with tried an tested drugs being used for different indications. Always best to know what the study is trying to achieve and what expected side effects there are likely to be. The higher the theoretical risk of treatment the more money you are likely to earn.


 

 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •