Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.

Thread: We've fallen- Will we rise again?

Default We've fallen- Will we rise again?

It is probably hard for some of you that were around in the glory years, but there are many fans out there now, including myself, that have only ever seen bad times at Forest. This is the 11th season that i have followed the Reds- the first being 98/99- our last in the Prem. Which means it was a full 10 years, 10 managers- inlcuding caretakers, 2 relegations and 2 failed play-off campaigns before eventually I saw the team I had loved since I was six years old promoted.
    It might seem sad to some of you that our promotion from the third tier of English football could be the best day of many young Forest fans lives. The end of 10 years of building frustration and 3 years of near humiliation.
    I saw on Sky Sports News a couple of months ago, a survey that showed us as being one of the most underachieving teams in the last 16 years (since the PL began).

I just want your opinion. Are we the most underachieving club in the 21st Century? Or has another club seen a worse last 9 years? And will we ever come good again?

Similar Threads:

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: We've fallen- Will we rise again?

I know there a smaller club than us but Bradford have fallen very low

Shall we wait for Kilburn to answer this one?

'Intelligence without ambition is a bird without wings' - Salvador Dali 1904-1989

I think 'odd' is a good thing. Oddness shows originality, uniqueness and a desire to be different from the masses. Oddness is, maybe, only deemed 'odd' by the majority who are considered less odd but only by their own blinkered observations and understanding. Oddness should never be criticised but be encouraged to nurture, develop individualism and to explore the mind rather than conform to expectation and 'normality'. Many of the world's greatest works of art and prose were born from those minds many considered to be 'odd'.
    [/url]

We're a point off safety. If we can stay up this year, get the right man in and make the right decisions on various different levels then we can become a stable Premiership side in 5 or 6 years.

If...

We are rising surely?

Leeds have fallen as far as we did and harder. And while Master Bates holds the reins there their pain will continue.

Wimbleton and Leicester also have not done too good in the last 10 years.

All the other teams listed so far have spent at least 1 season in the Prem since 1999. Leeds were in the Champs Lge semis a few years ago.
    I no that means they have fallen fast but overall their century has been better than ours. Thats the point i'm making

Banned

May I point out that Forest were formed long before the Clough glory years, whilst never being a third division side, they used to a run of the mill second division side. I have seen clueless Managers appointed long before Doughty's days in charge, the ultra boring boot football produced by Matt Gilies, as Forest were relegated from the old first division was not a good time to be a Forest fan.

The footballing side built by Johny Carey was dismantled and sold off. So fans of my vintage have another period of dross to compare and moan about, not just the current one. I was watching Forest long before the Glory Days, will watch them until I presume I am physically unable to get down to the City Ground. I don't think you will find that many of the older fans compare this side to the fantastic football we were privileged to see.

We see ourselves as lucky to born at the right time, but I can promise you, on the afternoon last season when against the odds we were promoted, the goose pimples and euphoria I felt was no different to winning the European Cup, honestly. You take the rough with the smooth as a football fan, we compare more because we have seen more, have more memories but our expectations are no greater ( On the whole ), because we have seen triumphs in the past.

Victor Meldrew

Good post Sedge and One I fully agree with.