Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Recommended books

Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes is one of my favourite books.

For non-fiction I've recently read Dan Jones' The Plantagenets and The Hollow Crown which I'd recommend to any medieval history fans.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Project Zeus View Post

For non-fiction I've recently read Dan Jones' The Plantagenets and The Hollow Crown which I'd recommend to any medieval history fans.

I was working with a medieval History academic recently who was obsessed by the Kingdom Come Deliverance game.

I wore a PlayStation t shirt when I first met him and I don't think he ever talked about work with me.

Left Winger

Yes. It’s quite frankly brilliant.

And for those who’ve never read it, you should do.

„The revolution will inevitably awaken in the British working class the deepest passions which have been diverted along artificial channels with the aid of football.“

Great Expectations. Top read.

“All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.”

Also, anything by Graham Greene

Left Winger

I am currently revisiting the wonderful Douglas Adams, via eBook.

Am just up to Life, the Universe and Everything.

Brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey View Post
    Also, anything by Graham Greene
    I read the Quiet American a few months back. I can't say I loved it but it was a decent book.

I read the Quiet American a few months back. I can't say I loved it but it was a decent book.

Not my favourite of his

I'd definitely recommend Our Man in Havana

Left Winger

Martin Cruz Smith‘s Arkady Renko series, starting with Gorky Park, are absolutely fantastic too.

William Boyd - I bloody love William Boyd. A master of his art - if ou like sprawling stories encompassing a long life lived he is your man.

Left Winger

Quote Originally Posted by redblong View Post
    William Boyd - I bloody love William Boyd. A master of his art - if ou like sprawling stories encompassing a long life lived he is your man.
    I recently read Solo, his James Bond continuity novel, and thought it was brilliant. He really got into the character.

^ Not read that. I'm not a huge Bond fan though.

I have read everything else he has done.

Restless stands out for me.

I picked up Wire in the Blood by Val Macdermid recently.
    It is remarkable - a well written page turner of a thriller.
    I liked it so much I have just ordered the first novel in the Tony Hill series of novels.
    MacDermid is a quality writer.

Can't Re Member

I've just finished Undermajordomominor by Patrick de Witt who is fast becoming my favourite author.

He wrote a Western called The Sisters Brothers that is going to be released imminently at the flicks.

He has also written a book called Abultions that is fucking tremendous. Written in the second person as well which is interesting.

Anyway - all his stuff is very different, quirky, funny, sad and dark. Books you dont want to end.

I recently also read Before The Fall by Noah Hawley. the geezer who did the Fargo TV series. Great story that explores right/wrong and blind indifference to the truth when a juicy story is in the offing. Throughly enjoyed this.

I have also had a bit of an Irvine Welsh marathon. Read The Blade artist and immediately followed that with Dead Mans Trousers - fuck yeah! I then read Crime - the sequel to Filth - Fuck yeah and more - what a book. Welsh at his imperious best. I am literally just about to embark on The Orchard Keeper - Cormac Mcarthy's debut novel from 1966.

I am pretty keen on books. Like films in your head aint they.
    Going to give de Witt a try on that recommendation

‘Before the fall’ was great, but I then went onto Hawley’s ‘conspiracy of tall men’ which wasn’t.

Really enjoying Claire North and Nick Harkaway at the moment.

Claire North writes beautifully and has great ideas AND can really write a plot - recommend ‘First 15 lives of Harry August’ and ‘Touch’. Gets classified as SciFi but we’re certainly not talking spaceships and mars colonies. 84k was good too, but not as good.

Nick Harkaway wrote Gnomon, which is proper bonkers (like David Mitchell’s Cloud Atlas or Number9dream on acid) but Angelmaker was good too.

Got a few more by both to go at. Sounds like you’re like me, find an author you like and binge them.

Never reading Corman McCarthy again, had nightmares haunted by the Road for ages

Oh FFS.

The Kite Runner by Khalid Husseni

Was turned into a film a couple of years ago but the book is much better.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Karanka Mutineer

I'm a huge fan of George Pelecanos, Dennis Lehanne and Richard Price. I devour anything they put out. But it is few and far between nowadays.

Recently I've been getting into Neil Gaiman's work.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey View Post
    The Catcher in the Rye

My favourite book OAT
    Ok Mark Chapman

This kind chap has uploaded John Le Carré's "Karla trilogy" of audio books. Brilliantly read by Michael Jayston (Nottingham lad) who played Peter Guillem in the BBC's TTSS back in the late 70s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04NaQfOdkxs

I've recently cleaned out my mother's loft and came across a well read collection of Swallow and Amazon books by Arthur Ransome.

Not sure whether I'd recommend them, certainly not for adult reading, but I've found them too be a nostalgic reminder of the better times in life.

They've certainly evoked memories in me that were long hidden in the recesses of my mind.

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Bonalair View Post
    Going to give de Witt a try on that recommendation

‘Before the fall’ was great, but I then went onto Hawley’s ‘conspiracy of tall men’ which wasn’t.

Really enjoying Claire North and Nick Harkaway at the moment.

Claire North writes beautifully and has great ideas AND can really write a plot - recommend ‘First 15 lives of Harry August’ and ‘Touch’. Gets classified as SciFi but we’re certainly not talking spaceships and mars colonies. 84k was good too, but not as good.

Nick Harkaway wrote Gnomon, which is proper bonkers (like David Mitchell’s Cloud Atlas or Number9dream on acid) but Angelmaker was good too.

Got a few more by both to go at. Sounds like you’re like me, find an author you like and binge them.

Never reading Corman McCarthy again, had nightmares haunted by the Road for ages
    Yes - I tend to do that. I went The Good Father after after Before The Fall by Hawley and enjoyed. I'll check your other recommendations out. Thank you.

Re Mcarthy - now I think The Road is the greatest book ever written. Made me cry and made me achingly sad but no other book I have read has done that too me. Amazing stuff. I am sucker for him though. Just started The Orchard Keeper where he is at his non gramatical best.

Love him. Supposedly one more book in the pipe before he carks it.

Can't Re Member

Yes - I tend to do that. I went The Good Father after after Before The Fall by Hawley and enjoyed. I'll check your other recommendations out. Thank you.

Re Mcarthy - now I think The Road is the greatest book ever written. Made me cry and made me achingly sad but no other book I have read has done that too me. Amazing stuff. I am sucker for him though. Just started The Orchard Keeper where he is at his non gramatical best.

Love him. Supposedly one more book in the pipe before he carks it.
    I think my favourite authors over the years have been Iain Banks (the novels and the sci-fi), David Mitchell, James Ellroy, Ken Macleod, Michael Marshall Smith, Neal Stephenson (unbelievably clever guy) and Donna Tartt .. as a quick list, sure I could add many more. I think Tartt’s Secret History is right up there for me as a favourite.

I read a lot of stuff that comes under the sci-fi genre but that I think is closer to literary fiction - Emily St John Mandel’s ‘Station 11’ for example. Remarkable book.

Iain Banks - yeah, love him but I cant do the Sci Fi stuff. Not my thing at all. (Although I read Humans by Matt Haig which is kind of sci fi-y the other week). I re read the wasp factory the other week. Unbelievably written in 1984. I like how he is subversive with grammar.

Your list I have not engaged with any of them. I have a James Ellroyd book in my pile but not got round to it.

Donna tartt scares me. I suppose I am going to have to try sooner or later.

Again thanks for the list - I will check them out.

Can't Re Member

Iain Banks - yeah, love him but I cant do the Sci Fi stuff. Not my thing at all. (Although I read Humans by Matt Haig which is kind of sci fi-y the other week). I re read the wasp factory the other week. Unbelievably written in 1984. I like how he is subversive with grammar.

Your list I have not engaged with any of them. I have a James Ellroyd book in my pile but not got round to it.

Donna tartt scares me. I suppose I am going to have to try sooner or later.

Again thanks for the list - I will check them out.
    Thing is sci-fi as a classification covers so much. Handmaids Tale, a ‘dystopian future’ story gets lumped in there. Of those I mentioned only Iain M Banks and Ken Macleod are ‘spaceships and other planets’ type sci-fi but both are awesome writers and the books way deeper than the genre implies. Banks’ ‘Player of Games’ i must have read 3-4 times.

The Outsider by Albert Camus.

One of my favourite books of all time, not a huge amount of reading, and really changed how I view the world.

Quote Originally Posted by BryanRoy22 View Post
    The Outsider by Albert Camus.

One of my favourite books of all time, not a huge amount of reading, and really changed how I view the world.
    A favourite author of mine (and a reasonably decent goalkeeper).
    I have a well thumbed copy of "The Plague".
    I wish I could read him in his original French.