Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Signings so far....

Default Signings so far....

This isn't a pop at Davies but our signings so far have to be scrutinised...

Mackie... works tremendously hard but his finishing and ability to take on his man is pretty poor. He's a solid Championship player but I can't help feeling that QPR saw us coming with the price tag on this one. These kind of players are littered all around the Championship and even League 1 and they rarely fetch £1 million quid.

Abdoun... he's a fans favourite but if you look at the overall picture then his start at Forest hasn't lived up to expectations. He was very lucky not to give a penalty away against Derby and appears vulnerable to rash decisions. Errors like that and the one on Saturday get punished in the Championship and even more so in the Premier League. He needs to attack his man more however I accept that Davies' formation does not really suit him. His crossing looks good however we rarely have enough players in the box to attack them! Can't help feeling that he would thrive in a more attack minded team but he's in danger of becoming a victim of Davies' style of play.

Chalobah... Looks like a glamour signing to appease the fans. Looked lost since his arrival and Davies has been right to drop him. However, its frightening to think we're playing something close to £25k a week for him. Still early days and has undoubted potential but this one is fast turning into a disaster.

Tudgay... Strange one. The only argument for this signing was that Billy expected to shift Miller/Blackstock/Derbyshire on much sooner than he has and Tudgay would be there as cover.

On the plus side Hobbs, Wilson, Lichaj, Jara, Paterson all look like they will be good additions.

What's going on with Halford... Can't work out this tactic of playing him upfront. He offers nothing apart from holding up the ball. I know Davies looks for this in a striker so that the midfield gets forward in support but come on... The guy can't finish or is not great at passing. You can't stick a player upfront just because he can hold up the ball.

Davies spoke about width last season but yet he still doesn't play with wingers. Paterson has hardly had a sniff despite looking promising during the glimpses we've seen.

On the plus side we look stubborn and difficult to beat. Darlow looks assured and Lascelles has plenty of potential. The Wilson injury looks a massive blow.

Fingers crossed we can source a decent striker from somewhere and hope that the style of play can be tweaked so that we attack teams a lot more. This style of play looks ideal for away but at home there needs to be something a little extra in order to break teams down.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Signings so far....

Quote Originally Posted by SwinnyPig View Post

Mackie... works tremendously hard but his finishing and ability to take on his man is pretty poor. He's a solid Championship player but I can't help feeling that QPR saw us coming with the price tag on this one. These kind of players are littered all around the Championship and even League 1 and they rarely fetch £1 million quid.

Abdoun... he's a fans favourite but if you look at the overall picture then his start at Forest hasn't lived up to expectations. He was very lucky not to give a penalty away against Derby and appears vulnerable to rash decisions. Errors like that and the one on Saturday get punished in the Championship and even more so in the Premier League. He needs to attack his man more however I accept that Davies' formation does not really suit him. His crossing looks good however we rarely have enough players in the box to attack them! Can't help feeling that he would thrive in a more attack minded team but he's in danger of becoming a victim of Davies' style of play.

Chalobah... Looks like a glamour signing to appease the fans. Looked lost since his arrival and Davies has been right to drop him. However, its frightening to think we're playing something close to £25k a week for him. Still early days and has undoubted potential but this one is fast turning into a disaster.

Tudgay... Strange one. The only argument for this signing was that Billy expected to shift Miller/Blackstock/Derbyshire on much sooner than he has and Tudgay would be there as cover.

On the plus side Hobbs, Wilson, Lichaj, Jara, Paterson all look like they will be good additions.

What's going on with Halford... Can't work out this tactic of playing him upfront. He offers nothing apart from holding up the ball. I know Davies looks for this in a striker so that the midfield gets forward in support but come on... The guy can't finish or is not great at passing. You can't stick a player upfront just because he can hold up the ball.

Davies spoke about width last season but yet he still doesn't play with wingers. Paterson has hardly had a sniff despite looking promising during the glimpses we've seen.

On the plus side we look stubborn and difficult to beat. Darlow looks assured and Lascelles has plenty of potential. The Wilson injury looks a massive blow.

Fingers crossed we can source a decent striker from somewhere and hope that the style of play can be tweaked so that we attack teams a lot more. This style of play looks ideal for away but at home there needs to be something a little extra in order to break teams down.
    Fair assessment. Only one game played but Vaughan did slot in well. The way BD chops and changes his sides, formations and players roles it's all abit hit and miss though and we're just as likely to see a game with Vaughan lost in the wilderness. It's difficult to really build an opinion on Forest overall as a team.

I think overall our signings have been good. Our defensive is much improved on last season and our midfield is, on paper, one of the strongest in the division.

We need to utilise what we have brought in better though. Paterson should play more given what I've seen of him and opening up our game to include width would benefit Abdoun and our more creative midfields with more space to operate in.

Hobbs an inspired signing. Mr Reliable.

None of our strikers have a clue at the moment, even Mackie made a stupid decision not passing to Halford on Saturday and he would have been with a one on one with the keeper!

Abdoun's crosses are good but so many times when they are, there is nobody in the box! Seems far too often cutting inside instead of staying on the wing!

We all know we have some really good players but Billy still doesn't know his best 11 or striker and we play negative football, worrying about the opposition and are too far one dimensional. As for Billy liking strikers to hold the ball up, Halford didn't win a single header when he came on against Blackpool! He should never have said he was a striker, he's a centre half or sweeper!

Paterson gave Trippier a tough game in the cup and he is arguably the best right back in the league, shame in the league people like Mackie are chosen to play wide instead of him

When does the loan window close??

Quote Originally Posted by SherwoodBear View Post
    Paterson gave Trippier a tough game in the cup and he is arguably the best right back in the league, shame in the league people like Mackie are chosen to play wide instead of him
    Completely agree. Paterson is a great hope for us and he barely gets 10 minutes as a substitute.

Quote Originally Posted by BryanRoy22 View Post
    Completely agree. Paterson is a great hope for us and he barely gets 10 minutes as a substitute.
    Hopefully he'll get a look in now that Abdoun is suspended.

Quote Originally Posted by bhastings316 View Post
    Only for one game though...

I fear even if he has a blinder he still won't get a look in after that.

Quote Originally Posted by SherwoodBear View Post
    Mackie has been great out wide. It's only in front of goal that he's struggled. I want to see Paterson in the hole, he's got a good little shot on him

Quote Originally Posted by Oggyyy View Post
    Only for one game though...

I fear even if he has a blinder he still won't get a look in after that.
    Oh I thought straight red was a 3 game ban

I would have agreed with that assessment of Mackie up til last Saturday but he showed signs against Blackpool that he could be a real asset for us at this level. How well he played seems to have got lost in all the negativity but honestly I thought that from an attacking standpoint, it was the best performance i've seen from a Forest player this season. He was quick, he was direct, and there was nothing at all questionable about his ability to beat a man. In fact, prior to the sending off he consistently sliced his way through 2 or 3 Blackpool defenders at a time. I haven't seen an individual in a Forest shirt cause a defence that much trouble since McCleary. His finishing is definitely questionable but Saturday gave me plenty of reason to believe he could be a very good right winger at this level.

I agree that the jury is still very much out on the Abdoun signing. He's hardly been given much of a run in the side to be fair, and some fans have raved about his performances when he has got on the pitch... I think I must have missed those games because he really hasn't done a lot to catch my eye yet. He seems to run around like a headless chicken at times, his passes often appear sloppy and inaccurate and he really hasn't run at and beaten defenders the way I expected him to. I was very excited about this signing and I want him to be an impact player for us, but thus far he really hasn't looked the threat I hoped he'd be.

Saturday's moment of sheer stupidity won't have done his push for regular playing time any favours either. Would love to know what the possession stats were 11 v 11 against Blackpool coz it seemed like they had about 10%. I really thought we were far and away the better side prior to the sending off, and to have the game completely taken away from us by one player's error was extremely frustrating. Not a smart move by Abdoun given how little excuse Billy seems to need not to play him. Might be a while before he starts another game.

Last edited by Steven McTowelie; 05-11-13 at 17:57.

Both Paterson and Abdoun should of seen more game time. The fact they haven't is a result of that frustratingly narrow 4-4-2 we normally play.

Oh I thought straight red was a 3 game ban
    Only if its violent conduct I think

Rice 34

It is indeed only a 1 game ban according to our site, I had assumed a 3 game absence too but that's incorrect.

Zycomm Two Way Radio

Davies doesn't pick him much for away games anyway

In the hearts and minds of the weak and wounded

Mackie had a really good game this weekend.

Abdoun showed in that match and agaist Derby why he's not going to be a regular anytime soon. Looks like there's some quality there, but wanders about and look vunerable to doing naive things. He might get away with chesting the ball, controlling and volleying out of his area in Greece, not here.

Reminded me of Perch's naivety against W Ham in the Brian Clough game - he did a similar thing that lead to Harewood scoring. Perch was a youngster then though...

^ Agreed.

Hobbs has been our best signing by a mile. Nothing short of excellent so far and the winner vs Derby, amazed we got him how we did.

Hobbs is my fave signing too. Just seems like a top bloke, someone who will take a kick to the bollocks for the team

Right I'll reply to this when I'm back from the fireworks, but I've spotted straight away a swipe at Mackie AND Halford so that's a double whammy.

The Foam Hand

It worked once, Hull away last season I think it was but it really really frustrates me to think he is the best choice over 6 or so strikers. I like Gregg, he's a decent defender but for christs sake we supposed to be promotion material and we stick a defender up front. The tactic has become a source of amusement to some critics and fans of other clubs, its embarrassing.

I'm happy with most of the signings but I dont think Chalobah will have the time to settle in, he seemed like a sweetener after losing Pep. Tudgay was a pointless signing that made no sense at all.
    Would like to see Pato and Abdoun on together for a run of games, even if it means a few defeats, we are too cagey at times and I wonder if it would pay off in the long run if we were more adventurous now.

Looking Hairy

Thinking about it, Davies knows a good midfielder but has he ever signed a genuinely good striker?

Quote Originally Posted by Halford's Lid View Post
    Thinking about it, Davies knows a good midfielder but has he ever signed a genuinely good striker?
    Earnie. Boyd wasn't bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Carvel View Post
    Mackie had a really good game this weekend.

Abdoun showed in that match and agaist Derby why he's not going to be a regular anytime soon. Looks like there's some quality there, but wanders about and look vunerable to doing naive things. He might get away with chesting the ball, controlling and volleying out of his area in Greece, not here.

Reminded me of Perch's naivety against W Ham in the Brian Clough game - he did a similar thing that lead to Harewood scoring. Perch was a youngster then though...
    I'm surprised Abdoun didn't play in the floating role behind Hendo and let Lansbury do a shift down the left

Senior Doom Monger

Wilson - looked good but the back injury is a real blow and I just hope that he isn't out for longer than the 12 weeks mentioned on the site;
    Hobbs - very reliable but not very exciting... doesn't seem to me to offer much more than Elliot Ward; a bit slow paced...
    Jara - very glad we have secured his services after last season's loan spell; quality defender with an eye for attacking;
    Lichai - other than v Bolton I have not yet been that impressed; looks to me not to understand what football is all about... certainly gets caught in no-man'-land too often.
    Abdoun - a bit of a cat in a bag as they say... flatters to deceive... needs game time and I think Billy needs to make him feel really valued...
    Paterson - looks exciting... needs to have more game time; doesn't strike me as a natural Billy player... hope it doesn't go against him;
    Tudgay - don't regard him as a signing - can't understand why, given the poor performances from our strikers he hasn't been given a run out yet
    Henderson - started to warm to him but last few games have been pretty shocking..
    So, all ion all I am pretty non-plussed about the signings.
    I do not think that with Wilson out the back 4 is improved on last season - looks just as vulnerable as it has for the last few years.
    Up front we look clueless, and midfield is at best okay, and at worst seems to be populated with chickens with their heads cut off.