Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Default Russell Brand vs Paxman Newsnight Interview

He articulates his feelings in a way that I can only dream of. I agree with everything that he has to say.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Dancing in the Trent End

Default Re: Russell Brand vs Paxman Newsnight Interview

Yup, I agree with pretty much every word he said as well.

If you ain't angry, you ain't listening. Mind you, like he says, aren't we all just bored of this shit now?

Brilliant! So very true

I posted this in the politics thread, where it's been ignored for some reason.

Thanks for giving it its own thread Tropix.

I watched it from your post this morning, Barbus.

It plays out like a student trying to explain to his father why he's dropped out of university after one term to join the Occupy movement - idealism vs pragmatism with no clear winner. I like Brand as a comedian and he's pretty clever, but I'm not joining his political party and electing him head admin bod just yet...

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    I watched it from your post this morning, Barbus.

It plays out like a student trying to explain to his father why he's dropped out of university after one term to join the Occupy movement - idealism vs pragmatism with no clear winner. I like Brand as a comedian and he's pretty clever, but I'm not joining his political party and electing him head admin bod just yet...
    Me neither, but he makes some excellent points about some things that are wrong with politics.
    Do I think he's got the answers? No. But it's great to hear someone question the system at a whole, rather than just the right or the left.

And it was also great to see somebody get the upper hand on Paxman for once.

Looking Hairy

I actually feel that Paxman ran rings around him. When you resort to repeating yourself 10x in a 5 minute period then you're batting above your weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Halford's Lid View Post
    I actually feel that Paxman ran rings around him. When you resort to repeating yourself 10x in a 5 minute period then you're batting above your weight.
    All that Paxman offered was 'but you don't vote, but you don't vote, but you don't vote' and 'I agree, but perhaps politicians are overworked'. It was utterly feeble

I got the impression paxman sort of agreed with him.

I don't particularly like brand but I enjoyed what he was saying. I think he is spot on. I do think he is banging his head against a brick wall and naive if he thinks there will be a revolution. The establishment in this country aren't even trying to hide the inequality and injustice anymore. It is blatant but it seems most people aren't angry about it. Most people don't seem to give a toss really.

Quote Originally Posted by GOBIAS Industries View Post
    I got the impression paxman sort of agreed with him.

I don't particularly like brand but I enjoyed what he was saying. I think he is spot on. I do think he is banging his head against a brick wall and naive if he thinks there will be a revolution. The establishment in this country aren't even trying to hide the inequality and injustice anymore. It is blatant but it seems most people aren't angry about it. Most people don't seem to give a toss really.
    There's currently nothing you can do but not vote and appear apathetic though, I think lots and lots of people are angry really, and if Brand managed to get those speech's heard by these people, who probably don't watch things like Newsnight if they don't vote or have any political interest, then there could certainly be some serious support galvanised. I agree we are some way off of a revolution

Was less rambling than I expected.

I've had the feeling paxman ha had enough of bullshit from politicians for a few years.

Urbane intellectual interviews camp comedian who re-defines trivial.
    Camp comedian spouts a load of Nihilist bollocks.

How on earth is a world not geared towards profit and personal gain nihilistic?

In all likelihood, the only people opposed to Brand's ideals are the ones making lots of money from the current system.

Quote Originally Posted by tropix View Post
    How on earth is a world not geared towards profit and personal gain nihilistic?

In all likelihood, the only people opposed to Brand's ideals are the ones making lots of money from the current system.
    Right on!
    I'm all for the redistribution of wealth, so long as no tries to take mine and everyone hands me theirs.

I bet you're a BMW driver

I bet you're a BMW driver
    Too right - 650i convertible.
    4.8 litres of V8 throbbing pleasure.
    I have a seriously large carbon footprint.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Sinister View Post
    Too right - 650i convertible.
    4.8 litres of V8 throbbing pleasure.
    I have a seriously large carbon footprint.
    Is that to make up for anything seriously small you may have?

/obligatory

Banned

Deluded hippy

I never used to like Russell Brand, but the more I hear him, the more I like him.

And whoever said that Paxman "ran rings round him" must have been watching a different video to me.

If only the existing politicians had as much heart and enthusiasm as brand obviously has.

I think he's right about the revolution too, maybe not just yet, but certainly within the next 20 years-either that or a big war, as it is not only people in the UK who are getting mightily pissed off, but most of Europe too, and we will all have to adjust to the "New World Order" of the likes of China, India, Brazil and Russia controlling our financial destinies. At present we are just burying our heads in the sand.

One way or the other, the world will be a totally different place in 50 years time.

Gimp

Ah, I'd assumed somebody had found the interview between the two of them from a few years ago and re posted it - didn't realise they'd sparred once again.

Google for the previous interview - I hated Brand and thought he was an arse until I saw just how articulate and well he came across when talking to Paxman.

Fair play to the man - I'd also smash Ms Perry in all 3 holes

Quote Originally Posted by pip View Post
    Ah, I'd assumed somebody had found the interview between the two of them from a few years ago and re posted it - didn't realise they'd sparred once again.

Google for the previous interview - I hated Brand and thought he was an arse until I saw just how articulate and well he came across when talking to Paxman.

Fair play to the man - I'd also smash Ms Perry in all 3 holes
    If you go to youtube to watch the new one, the old one is there as a related video, I think I'll watch it later when I get time.

Rice IV

Using vocabulary in such a way is horrendously annoying. He's not well spoken, he's giving the illusion of intelligence.

While he may be a smart man, he's selling that to idiots. His ideas are sold on the basis that his fans need to look up what he's saying.

I like him as a comedian. As a social commentator I disagree with him on many levels.

I recall him saying drug problems shouldn't be viewed as criminal as they're mental health problems. He was spinning a phrase for a while 'addiction is an illness, not a crime'. The two aren't, however, mutually exclusive. Lots of crimes are based in mental illness.

Talk to me, Goose.

Sexual Tyrannosaurus

I like his ideas but he'd probably get more response if he didn't try to shoehorn big words in cos he's talking to someone cleverer than him. He just seems to throw them out there for no reason other than "look, I'm quite intellectual".

He does have a point about poverty makibg more addicts though, although a lot use it as an excuse.

"Ive only met Andy....last week actually and can confirm he is in 2nd place in sexiest fucker on here stakes." -Barry

I think that focusing on his prior drug addiction is a cheap shot. Are any of you regular drinkers? Well you're drug addicts too.

Monk De Wally De Honk

I think that focusing on his prior drug addiction is a cheap shot. Are any of you regular drinkers? Well you're drug addicts too.
    No you're not, you are a regular drinker

Last edited by Monk De Wally De Honk; 25-10-13 at 10:19.