Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.

Thread: A Good Cup Run Long Overdue ...

Default A Good Cup Run Long Overdue ...

I calculate this is my 47th consecutive season watching the Reds & in that time we have had some fantastic cup runs ... & some humiliations of course. Obviously winning the league cup 4x and 2x runners up, plus 1x FA Cup runners up & a couple of semi-finals always stand out and included some unforgettable moments. We have reached the Q/F of both competitions a few times too, the most memorablebeing the FA Cup in 73/74 (but don't get me going on the Newcastle games again)BUT ...
    Incredibly we have not made the Q/F of the FA Cup since 95/6 or the league cup 93/4, 18 & 20 years or so respectively. I really hope we don't play a significantly weakened side at Burnley, (tough and crap place to go at best of times) ... in my view a good cup run will in the majority of cases help league form ... not hinder it ... BC would never have disgraced any competition, even when competing for 4 trophy's, he would send out a full side for a friendly!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: A Good Cup Run Long Overdue ...

I'd like a cup run

winnits

My cup runneth over

Would love a cup run. Some of our best days have been in the cups. These days a lot of premier clubs get knocked out early in both cups. The chances of progressing these days are greater than they were 20 years ago. We should have a large enough squad to do well in all competitions.

The problem is sadly most clubs would rather come 4th in the Premier league, or even 17th as a priority over winning the FA Cup or league cup ... some Johnny come lately fans probably the same ... Not me, I'd see us win at Wembley in a Cup Final every time ... What would help is if the FA Cup winners got the 4th Champions league place, not the team that comes 4th.
    When you think how many games we played in a late 70's season (say 77/8 to 79/80) with a squad of about 16 on some mud heaps, it shows just how much players attitudes have changed. For me a good cup run improves league form not hinder it. When I came home from Wembley in 1992 having lost to Man Utd, if someone had said by 2013, Forest still will not have returned, I'd have thought they had lost the plot. Notts are back at Lords on Saturday for the 1st time in 24 years...let's hope that's a good omen and we can return to Wembley in less than that!

Last edited by newarkneil; 19-09-13 at 16:22.

I have a problem here. I've saved my pennies to buy an ST and an Away ST this season. Travelling is the big expense and if we get a cup run, I'm either going bust or we've got to have lots of home matches.

tel - 0898 12 11 74

In the 30 odd years of following Forest the games we always end up talking about in the pub are away games in the cup.

I know exactly what you mean. My favourite Forest game ever remains the league cup semi-final 2nd leg 1992 ... Spurs 1-2 Forest a.e.t ...
    My favourite FA Cup game - Forest 4-1 Man City 1974 ... There's obviously many games on the way to winning the trophy 4 times & losing in 3 Finals and 2 semi-finals across both competitions ... Some of the massive followings to the likes of Man Utd, Arsenal & Birmingham in the late 80's too were great days out. Still hate Newcastle for 1974 - cheating Geordie bastards. On my website I've listed what round we went out in in every season since I started going ... the last 20 years don't make pretty reading.

Quote Originally Posted by newarkneil View Post
    I know exactly what you mean. My favourite Forest game ever remains the league cup semi-final 2nd leg 1992 ... Spurs 1-2 Forest a.e.t ...
    My favourite FA Cup game - Forest 4-1 Man City 1974 ... There's obviously many games on the way to winning the trophy 4 times & losing in 3 Finals and 2 semi-finals across both competitions ... Some of the massive followings to the likes of Man Utd, Arsenal & Birmingham in the late 80's too were great days out. Still hate Newcastle for 1974 - cheating Geordie bastards. On my website I've listed what round we went out in in every season since I started going ... the last 20 years don't make pretty reading.
    That 4-1 was my first Forest game.

Pompey in the 5th round and then the game at Newcastle.

Hated them ever since.

tel - 0898 12 11 74

Quote Originally Posted by newarkneil View Post
    Stood on a crash barrier at Highbury at Highbury singing "on the march with Cloughies army" just after Rice scored , what a day.

I'd like an fa cup run,next week at burnley play a reserve side,come what may,derby and Leicester play in the cup doubt if they'd be resting players in that one,when we play derby on Saturday we,ll be fresh and ready to roar.

Burnley (a) tomorrow is very important and I hope we play a strong side. The attached shows just how unacceptably crap we have been in the Cups for nearly 20 years ...and let's be honest, our league form has not exactly been brilliant for loads of that period either! ... So folk can hardly say doing well in the cups affects your league form badly ... can they?
    http://www.google.co.uk/#!looking-back/c12es
    http://www.google.co.uk/?zpbw_compId...ivitbgJDl_cvNg - better more informative link

Last edited by newarkneil; 23-09-13 at 13:52.

We even used to play the first team in the Anglo Italian Cup (sorry about posting a loss to Derby, we made up for it in the League later in the season):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JwMjp1zupk

The epic multi-game tie against Crystal Palace was great even if it was tiring out the players (according to modern thinking anyway). Not sure if any of those ties are on Youtube so I'll post a 5-1 vs Palace in the league instead to make up for the Derby video lol:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZ2CNQHix40