Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Not being payed on time.

Right then the company that both me and the wife work for can be a little lapse when it comes down to paying on time our official pay date is the end of the month but the 2 times this year we have been payed at the very last minuite (I.e in the evening of the last day).

Anyway on Friday we where told the boss was on Holliday but would be home on Saturday and would pay as soon as he returned.

Well as I type this at 20:30 there is no money in my our joint acount and as Monday is the 2nd my direct debits are already showing as going out leaving me massively overdrawn and will all be returned as of Monday. and before some bright arse tells me to move my direct debits to a later date I have tried but the last day of the month is as late as I can take them.

I am now facing a £9 per unpaid direct debit, plus late payment charges on credit cards, my council tax has bounced, my rent hasn't been payed, will face a £25 charge for bounced direct debit from zebra for season ticket, all in all around £200 out of pocket aswell as credit history fucked up again through no fualt of my own.

What makes it worse is I have worked 14 hour shifts the last 2 weeks and from 8:30am till 1am yesterday most of this is doing repair work to the building after my normall shift all outside of my job description.

Anyway does anyone know if I am entitled to claim the charges back off my employer and can I refuse to work until I've been payed without the threat of sack?

And is there anyone I can report the prick to

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Weltmeister

Default Re: Not being payed on time.

If your contract states a specific date on which you will be paid, then as I understand it the company are in breach of contract by failing to pay you.

If you haven't already done so, contact your local Citizens Advice Bureau, as they will be able to advise on the legality of such things.

You are of course entitled to walk away if you've not been paid (although I'm guessing that isn't an option!)

„The revolution will inevitably awaken in the British working class the deepest passions which have been diverted along artificial channels with the aid of football.“

Rice 13

Firstly, contact your bank ASAP explaining that you havent been paid, to see if they can help with a temporary OD, short term until you can pay it back. Failing that, if you use online banking cancel all you DDs and standing orders so that you dont have a fortune in bank charges, some of your utilities may charge you a little for failure to pay by a certain date but wont be anything like what the bank will take you for.

On the issue of you actually getting paid, contact your employer and say that you haven't been paid and want a explanation why. it may not be good news so prepare for that, then contact yuou citizens advice as they will be able to tell you alolt more legally where you stand on such issues.

This happened to me with my former employer. The problem is they don't realise that DDs tend to go out early if the last day of the month falls on a weekend. I know that is slightly different in your case, but still very annoying.

When I complained to my employer I was pretty much laughed at and made to feel it was my fault for not having arrangements in place to avoid it happening. Needless to say, my boss too was a complete anchor.

My advice would be to take it on the chin. Just explain your situation in private with him and hope he understands.

Banned

It's a horrid situation to be in, I am not being awkward, but if your boss has a cash flow problem, then in the financial climate he will be holding out until the last possible moment before issuing wages etc.

I know the reverse side of the situation as juggling pounds in and out of accounts whilst chasing your own debts is time consuming and soul destroying.

I think to approach him in a consilitary manner, explaining your situation would be the first option, where the problems can be discussed without any ill feeling and particularly devoid of threats or talks of rights and retribution s etc.

I always pay any men first, they have mortgages and families, the company debtors have had to wait.....adding to their cash flow problems......it's a vicious circle.

Have you actually been to your bank? This is precisely what overdrafts are intended for, a short term cheap form of borrowing to tide you over in unforseen circumstances. If your historical conduct on your accounts has been fair you should have no problem, and the money would instantly be paid back as soon as you're paid.

This would be fair more preferable than defaulting on direct debits, utility companies and phone companies are ruthless these days in destroying people's credit ratings at the drop of a hat for missed payment. If not, your situation might possibly be one of the only extreme cases where using Wonga could be justified, if it was certain to be paid back in a matter of days.

Longer term, and I know it's easier said than done, but the golden rule to try and cover yourself in this financial climate is to try and save 3 months salary if possible and not touch it. That should be a minimum for these situations, or worse if redundancy was to hit.

When there was that big computer problem a couple of years ago (I think it was RBS group banks) I got paid late because my employers bank with one of the affected banks.
    Even though they must have known my bank still charged me for an unauthorised overdraft. They did refund it but I had to actually go into a branch and ask them to do it.

So I would go to see your bank first of all, if it's no fault of your own - and being paid late is no fault of your own - then they should refund you all charges. It's also worth asking for an overdraft facility at the same time to protect yourself if it happens again.

It's all about mid-table...

Quote Originally Posted by sedgred View Post
    I always pay any men first, they have mortgages and families, the company debtors have had to wait.....adding to their cash flow problems......it's a vicious circle.
    Exact.

The Foam Hand

Not sure where you legally stand in this but one thing I did was set up a decent size overdraft to buffer this kind of thing.
    Its not ideal but its better than getting charges.
    I'm self employed and there is no consistency whatsoever to when i get paid or how much, sometimes its a 28 day invoice then a cheque. Its a constant worry to be honest.
    Hope you get it sorted.

Chris put his finger on the legal aspect of the situation: if your contract states you will be paid on a set day, then if your employer fails to pay you on that set day they are in breach of contract and you are entitled to request that the terms of the contract that have been broken be remedied immediately, and to compensation for any costs you have incurred as a direct result.
    However, there is an important poin t to consider before taking the specific performance of the contract route, and that is to determine why your pay is late.
    It could be that the issue is not down to the employer (in my own business we released the payroll file to the bank on the due day, but there was a bank processing glitch and the file did not get processed, and our people paid until 1 day after the contractual date.
    As in most things, it is usually best to discuss reasonably with your employer.
    Assuming the employer can pay, then generally if you have incurred charges and costs the employer will reimburse you.
    But don't assume he is just messing you about for the sake of it...

Quote Originally Posted by Barbus View Post
    Even though they must have known my bank still charged me for an unauthorised overdraft.
    This attitude has always bemused me - you know that any overdraft charges will be applied automatically don't you? There's not a little fellow sat in a room somewhere, applying charges to people's accounts whilst watching BBC news to see if there are an known glitches in the banking system.

You went in to see your bank, they rightly removed the computer generated charges. How else do you practically suggest the situation could have been avoided at your bank?

All sorted now aparently he returned home and didnt get round to issueing the payments

Weltmeister

Quote Originally Posted by RICH1977 View Post
    All sorted now aparently he returned home and didnt get round to issueing the payments
    You ought to remember that one, next time you need a day off at short notice.

"Sorry Boss, I didn't get round to telling you"!

Rice IV

Quote Originally Posted by weasel View Post

This attitude has always bemused me - you know that any overdraft charges will be applied automatically don't you? There's not a little fellow sat in a room somewhere, applying charges to people's accounts whilst watching BBC news to see if there are an known glitches in the banking system.

You went in to see your bank, they rightly removed the computer generated charges. How else do you practically suggest the situation could have been avoided at your bank?
    The banking system should be sophisticated enough to have a fail safe on the account for certain things.

If there's something like there was at RBS where they knew people weren't being paid, they should be able to override the automatic charging system across the board for specific payments.

Of course, they would only be able to do it if they controlled both sides of the transaction such as mortgage payments.

Talk to me, Goose.

Where's me hammer?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    The banking system should be sophisticated enough to have a fail safe on the account for certain things.

If there's something like there was at RBS where they knew people weren't being paid, they should be able to override the automatic charging system across the board for specific payments.

Of course, they would only be able to do it if they controlled both sides of the transaction such as mortgage payments.
    Its not in the banks interest to have these fail safes in place for your average joe as it makes them shitloads

They certainly weren't as eager to give it back as they were to take it.
    I had to visit 2 branches; my local branch refused to refund it and told me I had to go to the branch my account is held at. What difference that makes I've no idea.
    Once at the second branch, the cashier had to go to a superior to get approval before agreeing to put it back in my account.

I wonder how much money all the high street banks made from all the charges from people who didn't get a refund for one reason or another.

Where's me hammer?

They certainly weren't as eager to give it back as they were to take it.
    I had to visit 2 branches; my local branch refused to refund it and told me I had to go to the branch my account is held at. What difference that makes I've no idea.
    Once at the second branch, the cashier had to go to a superior to get approval before agreeing to put it back in my account.

I wonder how much money all the high street banks made from all the charges from people who didn't get a refund for one reason or another.
    Exactly they can do it in any branch they want but they just make it that little bit harder so you give up and they can keep the money. Or should i at least point out the jobsworths do.

I know, i have worked for two banks.

Last edited by Barry; 02-09-13 at 19:01.

Rice IV

Quote Originally Posted by No 5 Terry Wilson View Post

Its not in the banks interest to have these fail safes in place for your average joe as it makes them shitloads
    I think RBS lost a lot more than they gained with their screw up.

It's not practical though is it, how on earth could it be determined who has gone overdrawn of their own volition and who has been unfairly inconvenienced by the original problem? These glitches in the banking system are virtually unheard of, the simple remedy is to visit your local branch and say look, I've been affected by the Natwest problem and if they're reasonable would waive all resulting bank charges. Problem solved. Yet as is the norm with these things people always find it easier don't they to rant about banks and assume they're being ripped off.

I think rant is a bit strong. I didn't rant here, just described what happened, didn't rant at the bank either. But I can imagine some people wouldn't have been so passive as I was when told they had to go to another branch to get the charges paid back.

I think rant is a bit strong. I didn't rant here, just described what happened, didn't rant at the bank either. But I can imagine some people wouldn't have been so passive as I was when told they had to go to another branch to get the charges paid back.
    To be honest I agree that's a total nonsense having to visit a different branch. What bank was it?

Yorkshire.

*dons tin hat*

Weltmeister

By 'Eck.

Or should it be a flat cap?

Where's me hammer?

I think RBS lost a lot more than they gained with their screw up.
    not in the grand scheme of things they haven't mate, i worked for rbs and the amount of people getting charged 30/40 quid for literally going pence into an unauthorised overdraft and not being arsed to argue was unbelievable.