Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,869

    Default Microscope help..

    Bit of an odd one..

    Just bought my lad a second hand microscope, it had 3 lens things that say 4x, 10x and 40x on them and the top bit where your eye goes says T-10xw.

    Is it as simple as saying that the maximum magnification is 40x or does the 10xw bit mean anything?


  2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many

  3. #2
    May not be the best moderator on LTLF, but he's In The Top 1
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    38,695

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RedTom View Post
    Bit of an odd one..

    Just bought my lad a second hand microscope, it had 3 lens things that say 4x, 10x and 40x on them and the top bit where your eye goes says T-10xw.

    Is it as simple as saying that the maximum magnification is 40x or does the 10xw bit mean anything?
    Fairly sure the 10xw is just the make of the eyepiece which in combination with the lower lenses will yield 4, 10 or 40x magnification, so: yes, and no!

    By "relegation battle", do you mean 7th, 12th or 14th?

    Quote Originally Posted by willojack View Post
    flagman do me a f***ing favour remove me from this forum

  4. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,869

    Default Re: Microscope help..

    So the maximum magnification is 40x?


  5. #4
    May not be the best moderator on LTLF, but he's In The Top 1
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    38,695

    Default

    I'd presume so - I'm assuming the "10" on the eyepiece is its focal length not its magnification.

    What's the make/model of the eyepiece/lower lens assemblies?


  6. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,869

    Default Re: Microscope help..

    Not a great deal of information on it..

    It says Novex which I'd assume is the brand and then T-10XW on the eye piece, it didn't come in a box


  7. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Yes I can hear you Clem Fandango
    Posts
    2,302

    Default Re: Microscope help..

    I know in telescopes its the focal length of the objective lens/mirror divided by the focal length of the eyepiece - which is why you don't see (proper) telescope eyepieces with x10, x100 etc

    This entry in yahoo may help ... http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...5061657AA6RYir


    This model on ebay appears to have a similar eyepiece and is listed at 40 - 1000 times http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/microscope...p2047675.l2557

    This looks like the nearest model that Novex currently make.
    http://www.euromex.com/gb/catalog/no...croscope/2181/

    this is the email adddress for their techjnical support if you want to try them?

    support@euromex.com

    Just a comment but x40 seems like a low top magnification for a microscope, I have a magnifying glass that can do that so for me I'd say x400.


  8. #7
    May not be the best moderator on LTLF, but he's In The Top 1
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    38,695

    Default Re: Microscope help..

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Sheldon Cooper View Post
    I know in telescopes its the focal length of the objective lens/mirror divided by the focal length of the eyepiece - which is why you don't see (proper) telescope eyepieces with x10, x100 etc

    This entry in yahoo may help ... http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...5061657AA6RYir


    This model on ebay appears to have a similar eyepiece and is listed at 40 - 1000 times http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/microscope...p2047675.l2557

    This looks like the nearest model that Novex currently make.
    http://www.euromex.com/gb/catalog/no...croscope/2181/

    this is the email adddress for their techjnical support if you want to try them?

    support@euromex.com

    Just a comment but x40 seems like a low top magnification for a microscope, I have a magnifying glass that can do that so for me I'd say x400.
    ^This, and that's my thoughts too.


  9. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,869

    Default Re: Microscope help..

    The one you have linked to on eBay is the exact one that we bought, so I guess that clears it up!!


  10. #9
    No wonder my post count..
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Lancaster
    Posts
    11,845

    Default Re: Microscope help..

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Sheldon Cooper View Post
    I know in telescopes its the focal length of the objective lens/mirror divided by the focal length of the eyepiece - which is why you don't see (proper) telescope eyepieces with x10, x100 etc

    This entry in yahoo may help ... http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...5061657AA6RYir


    This model on ebay appears to have a similar eyepiece and is listed at 40 - 1000 times http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/microscope...p2047675.l2557

    This looks like the nearest model that Novex currently make.
    http://www.euromex.com/gb/catalog/no...croscope/2181/

    this is the email adddress for their techjnical support if you want to try them?

    support@euromex.com

    Just a comment but x40 seems like a low top magnification for a microscope, I have a magnifying glass that can do that so for me I'd say x400.
    Ah yes, the old x40 problem. Yeah that's a bitch.



    MOTHERFUCKINGDEXTERBLOODYBLACKSTOCKOHMYFUCKINGGODY ESGETINYOUMOTHERFUCKERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    FUCKINGHAVESOMEOFTHATYOUCUNTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  11. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Yes I can hear you Clem Fandango
    Posts
    2,302

    Default Re: Microscope help..

    Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Ah yes, the old x40 problem. Yeah that's a bitch.


    I'm an old git, I use that to check the condition of my turntable stylus.


  12. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,869

    Default Re: Microscope help..

    Well the 400x lens doesn't work after all that, so I've bought a new one off amazon for £25.. Don't buy from car boots!


 

 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •