Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Book Thread

Banned

Default The Book Thread

Had a search through couple of pages on search couldnt spot one. I tend to drift in and out of reading. Fancy starting a new book. Any reccomendations? I was recently reading minette walters but i am tired of her all men are closet peadophiles or rapists and all women are plucky suffragettes or sluts themes. Fancy a modern murder kindof book? Considering reading bellamys autobiography should be interesting? A.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Better Call Saul!

Default Re: The Book Thread

TV Guide

Left Winger

If you're interested in books about football, "Morbo" by Phil Ball is a fantastic read, all about the Spanish game.

"It is better to live one day as a lion, than one hundred years as a sheep"

Banned

Anything by Bernard Cornwall, but be certain to get the book in the right order........adds to the enjoyment of the read. Ditto Wilbur Smith novels....

I go through stages of reading loads and reading none. I tend to read non fiction myself. Some of the best books I've read over the last couple of years off theropod my head are:

- Charlie Chaplin's auto-biography. Self explanatory.

- the iron curtain kid by Oliver fritz. A book about a young lad who was born and brought up in east Berlin while the wall was up.

- the dark tourist by Dom joly. Quite a light easy read. A travel book by joly (who I know a lot think is a big cock but I find him amusing) visiting places like iran, Chernobyl, North Korea, Cambodia and other places not usually frequented by tourists. He also did another travel type book called scary monsters and super creeps which wasn't as good but readable all the same.

- Fatherland by Robert Harris. Not my usual kind of book but enjoyable. A novel set 20 years after the Second World War had finished but with a German victory and hitler still in power.

I will think of more as my memory is terrible at the moment!!

I love Dave Gorman's books. 'Are you Dave Gorman?' 'America Unchained' (The DVD isn't so great) and Googlewhacked are good light hearted reads. I didn;t enjoy his recent book 'vs the world' as much, but it's still decent and if I remember rightly he gets punched by some fella in St Anns (although I read it a while ago, so might have that wrong)

Danny Wallace is also worth a read. 'Yes man' is a great book in my opinion.

I also really enjoy books by Mark Watson (who is often on Mock the week), 'A light hearted look at murder' is a good read.

If you want something with slightly more substance, then I am currently enjoying working my way through David Mitchell's collection. I enjoyed Cloud Atlas, so have gone back to his first books, which are also pretty good reads as well.

Having just re-read the opening post, I now see that my post is probably not suitable, but I guess it is about time I doubled my post count

Im lookin for a copy of 'With Clough' by Peter Taylor. Anyone got a copy to sell?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Exchange View Post
    I love Dave Gorman's books. 'Are you Dave Gorman?' 'America Unchained' (The DVD isn't so great) and Googlewhacked are good light hearted reads. I didn;t enjoy his recent book 'vs the world' as much, but it's still decent and if I remember rightly he gets punched by some fella in St Anns (although I read it a while ago, so might have that wrong)

I also really enjoy books by Mark Watson (who is often on Mock the week), 'A light hearted look at murder' is a good read.

If you want something with slightly more substance, then I am currently enjoying working my way through David Mitchell's collection. I enjoyed Cloud Atlas, so have gone back to his first books, which are also pretty good reads as well.

Having just re-read the opening post, I now see that my post is probably not suitable, but I guess it is about time I doubled my post count
    More then happy for this to evolve into a general book thread, I enjoy browsing through the film thread and like I said I can't see a thread already here about books, which is odd as we all clearly are competent readers who do so in our spare time.

Quote Originally Posted by porks View Post
    Had a search through couple of pages on search couldnt spot one. I tend to drift in and out of reading. Fancy starting a new book. Any reccomendations? I was recently reading minette walters but i am tired of her all men are closet peadophiles or rapists and all women are plucky suffragettes or sluts themes. Fancy a modern murder kindof book? Considering reading bellamys autobiography should be interesting? A.
    Ever tried some Scandi crime?
    I think a lot has been translated to English. My personal recommendations would be Henning Mankell and Stieg Larsson from Sweden. Very readable and enjoyable.

I finished "King Leopold's Ghost" (Hochschild), "Hitler's Empire" (Mazower) and "The Prague Cemetary" (Eco) this summer. All were great reads.
    Well, I suppose they had to be. My natural reflex with a not so great read is to stop reading.

I have Robert Harris' "The Fear Index" lying about near my bedstand. Might give it a go, although I think since the fairly epic "Fatherland", the rest has been a disappointment.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by tomasj View Post
    Ever tried some Scandi crime?
    I think a lot has been translated to English. My personal recommendations would be Henning Mankell and Stieg Larsson from Sweden. Very readable and enjoyable.

I finished "King Leopold's Ghost" (Hochschild), "Hitler's Empire" (Mazower) and "The Prague Cemetary" (Eco) this summer. All were great reads.
    Well, I suppose they had to be. My natural reflex with a not so great read is to stop reading.

I have Robert Harris' "The Fear Index" lying about near my bedstand. Might give it a go, although I think since the fairly epic "Fatherland", the rest has been a disappointment.
    Isn't the girl with the dragons tattoo series a Scandinavian author? Enjoyed the film

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Exchange View Post

Ah the yes man is a great shout I remember reading about that I will probably go for that. Thanks

Not that type of player

I'm currently reading and enjoying 'Surface Detail' by Iain Banks. Amazingly imaginative Sci Fi.

"Outside the family life, there is nothing better than winning the European Cups." Brian Clough

Can't Re Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ravi View Post
    I'm currently reading and enjoying 'Surface Detail' by Iain Banks. Amazingly imaginative Sci Fi.
    I love Iain (M) Banks sci fi. Use of weapons is mindblowing.

Oh FFS.

Any of the Vegas books by Ben Mezrich are worth a read.

And Anatoli's Those Forest Men of course.

Swedish Meatball

I started reading Kicking With Both Feet by Frank Clark last night, after Rich had mentioned it on here about a year ago. Seems to be an honest account of what goes on behind the scenes in football, although some of the references are a decade out of date as you may expect.

Recently finished Carl Froch's autobiography, which to be honest wasn't that good. Perhaps it goes to show how much of your life you have to sacrifice to be a top sportsman because after the early fights when he was struggling to make a living it became a bog standard review of the preparation for each bout and the comments. Maybe he held back because he's an active boxer. Sports autobiographies can be better after retirement.

I've also read The Great Gatsby and Kane and Abel this year. Would highly recommend the latter.

Left Winger

Isn't the girl with the dragons tattoo series a Scandinavian author? Enjoyed the film
    Stieg Larsson.

Try John Harvey's crime writing. His Resnick series are all based in Nottingham and they are a great read.

World War Z is a great read. Don't be put off by the film.
    I would advise reading the Zombie survival guide first, however.

One of the best books we took at school was all quiet on the western front.

Sexual Tyrannosaurus

Horton hears a who. Life changing.

Banned

Ah the yes man is a great shout I remember reading about that I will probably go for that. Thanks
    couple of chapters in, finding him quite irratating tbh...will persevere for few more chapters

couple of chapters in, finding him quite irratating tbh...will persevere for few more chapters
    I do find Danny Wallace quite annoying to be fair (mainly from other books), but I did enjoy this one. It's far better than the film.

Banned

He whittles on something ridiculous. Explains really minor points that he thinks you might have been wondering. Which I certainly havent been.

Quote Originally Posted by Brolin View Post
    I've also read The Great Gatsby and Kane and Abel this year. Would highly recommend the latter.
    Am I missing the sarcasm or are you actually recommending Jeffrey Archer above FSF?

I really like the Danny Wallace books. Yes Man was good but I think my favorite was his book he brought out last year called 'Charlotte Street'. It's a nice light hearted boy-meets-girl type of story but with a quite unusual but cool twist.