Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Book Thread

Senior Pol

Is this 'Yes Man' the same as the Jim Carrey film?

"Charlie don't surf for his hamburger momma!!"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: The Book Thread

Quote Originally Posted by syar View Post
    I really like the Danny Wallace books. Yes Man was good but I think my favorite was his book he brought out last year called 'Charlotte Street'. It's a nice light hearted boy-meets-girl type of story but with a quite unusual but cool twist.
    I've read Charlotte Street, if you liked that I would recommend 'The Knot' by Mark Watson, a similar kind of thing.

And yeah, Yes Man the film is based loosely on the book. Danny Wallace decided to say yes to everything that was asked of him (or so he says )

Quote Originally Posted by Exchange View Post
    I've read Charlotte Street, if you liked that I would recommend 'The Knot' by Mark Watson, a similar kind of thing.
    I've read that, it's ok but I don't think I would read it again. Once I worked out what was going to happen (which didn't take long to work out) then I lost most of my interest in it. I enjoyed his other book 'Eleven' more than 'The Knot'

To be honest I normally read Sci-fi and Fantasy and sometimes mix in Scandinavian crime, but every now and then I will pick up these sorts of books just to mix things up a bit and so I don't get bored reading one type of book over and over.

I tried starting on "Skagboys". Somehow, I don't get into Irvine Welsh anymore. Could be me, could be that his writing has become worse. The last one that I really loved was "Glue".

In any case, he has written some thoroughly disturbing and enjoyable literature.

I'm more on an Orwell kick again now.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Brolin View Post
    I started reading Kicking With Both Feet by Frank Clark last night, after Rich had mentioned it on here about a year ago. Seems to be an honest account of what goes on behind the scenes in football, although some of the references are a decade out of date as you may expect.

Recently finished Carl Froch's autobiography, which to be honest wasn't that good. Perhaps it goes to show how much of your life you have to sacrifice to be a top sportsman because after the early fights when he was struggling to make a living it became a bog standard review of the preparation for each bout and the comments. Maybe he held back because he's an active boxer. Sports autobiographies can be better after retirement.

I've also read The Great Gatsby and Kane and Abel this year. Would highly recommend the latter.
    Love Frank CLarks book, gives a wonderful balanced account of football, as opposed to how great I am, maybe the finest football related book I have ever enjoyed.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by sedgred View Post
    Love Frank CLarks book, gives a wonderful balanced account of football, as opposed to how great I am, maybe the finest football related book I have ever enjoyed.
    Ever read bassets? Decent read. As was vinnie jones.

"Blood Meridian" by Cormac McCarthy. Awesome book. He also wrote "No Country for Old Men" and "The Road", both excellent books and No Country especially is a fine adaptation. I haven't read a book of his that hasn't blown my mind in some way, he's probably gonna go down as one of the best authors of all time.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    "Blood Meridian" by Cormac McCarthy. Awesome book. He also wrote "No Country for Old Men" and "The Road", both excellent books and No Country especially is a fine adaptation. I haven't read a book of his that hasn't blown my mind in some way, he's probably gonna go down as one of the best authors of all time.
    Love the film

Better Call Saul!

eeeuurrghhh! How did I end up in this thread...
    run away! run away!

I'm currently reading Burgess' A Clockwork Orange after years of saying I'll pick it up and never getting round to it. In terms of the language it's quite similar to Trainspotting in that the first 10 pages or so are excrutiatingly slow (not in terms of the basic plot neccessarily but in terms of simply getting used to the language as you try to figure out what on earth they're talking about! It is worth the investment though, I'm halfway through it but it I'm absolutely loving it.

He really was a visionary!

If your a casual reader like me I enjoy James Patterson. Short, snappy chapters, the plot tends to move along quickly.

Tom Clancy, Robert Ludlum and Michael Connelly are very good if you've got more time to invest. I tend to save these for a fortnight around the pool.

For a very light read anything by Jeremy Clarkson gives me a chuckle.

Senior Pol

Quote Originally Posted by Loughborough_red View Post
    I'm currently reading Burgess' A Clockwork Orange after years of saying I'll pick it up and never getting round to it. In terms of the language it's quite similar to Trainspotting in that the first 10 pages or so are excrutiatingly slow (not in terms of the basic plot neccessarily but in terms of simply getting used to the language as you try to figure out what on earth they're talking about! It is worth the investment though, I'm halfway through it but it I'm absolutely loving it.

He really was a visionary!
    Cracking book. You'll be talking in nadsat by the end, mate.

O my brothers, I can very well viddy a young malachick like me doing just that like!

I went to see Clockwork Orange the ballet at the fringe last year. It was absolutely brilliant!

What does Patterson write about? Is it crime/mystery?

I've been wanting to read more of Harlan Coben after watching "Justified".

Quote Originally Posted by tomasj View Post
    What does Patterson write about? Is it crime/mystery?

I've been wanting to read more of Harlan Coben after watching "Justified".
    Yeah, Patterson is crime/thriller stuff. Preferred his earlier stuff personally, now it seems he just cranks out one formulaic book after another with a 'co-writer'.
    Justified was based on an Elmore Leonard wasn't it (worth reading anyway)? I like the Harlan Coben books too, easy to read and reasonably involving. He had a series based around a private eye which were quite good.

I always manage to mix those two up. Of course it was Leonard. "Fire in the hole". It's a short story. How they've managed to drag that out into several series is well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Swansea Red View Post
    Yeah, Patterson is crime/thriller stuff. Preferred his earlier stuff personally, now it seems he just cranks out one formulaic book after another with a 'co-writer'.
    I think that's fair comment about Patterson. I would also say I prefer his non Alex Cross books as well. The Cross books to me are very hit and miss and the pacing is sometimes a bit too slow for my liking.

Steve Stone with hair

Quote Originally Posted by Exchange View Post
    I love Dave Gorman's books. 'Are you Dave Gorman?' 'America Unchained' (The DVD isn't so great) and Googlewhacked are good light hearted reads. I didn;t enjoy his recent book 'vs the world' as much, but it's still decent and if I remember rightly he gets punched by some fella in St Anns (although I read it a while ago, so might have that wrong)

Danny Wallace is also worth a read. 'Yes man' is a great book in my opinion.
    Are You Dave Gorman? is the absolute best. I love it.

It's a bit weird, but I love One Hundred Years of Solitude. Master and Margarita too. Love me a bit of magical realism.

Ever read Isabel Allende? I am very fond of Marquez and her.
    Actually, when I think of it, she is one of the few female authours I read.

Just went through my bookshelves to see if there was anything I should just donate to charity. Ended up with all of George R. R. Martin's books and some alternate history books. Man, they were fantastically craptacular.
    Why I even bought Harry Turtledove's books in the first case, is a mystery.

Steve Stone with hair

Quote Originally Posted by tomasj View Post
    Ever read Isabel Allende? I am very fond of Marquez and her.
    No, what would you recommend and advise?

Monk De Wally De Honk

Just read the unlikely pilgrimage of Harold fry, thoroughly enjoyed it and the last chapter about queenie brings a tear to my eye every time I think about it

Bunch of plebs.

Left Winger

Just about to start on this again:

It's a truly fascinating read.

"It is better to live one day as a lion, than one hundred years as a sheep"

Quote Originally Posted by Caveman Ninja View Post
    No, what would you recommend and advise?
    The two Eva Luna novels stand out.
    She also wrote "The House of Ghosts" or something. I read it in Norwegian, so I am not exactly sure of the English title.

It was made into a movie with Meryl Streep and Jeremy Irons. Not a bad one, either. Antonio Banderas also played his first bigger part in an English-language movie.

Quote Originally Posted by chriscl View Post
    J

It's a truly fascinating read.
    Castro is, for all his faults, a fascinating person. Just like Churchill, Thatcher, Kennedy, Gorbachev and Stalin.

Anyone read Simon Montefiore's "The Court of the Red Czar"? About Stalin. You won't need any gory thrillers after that. The way Stalin is described, and indeed the rest of the nomenclatura of the Soviet Union makes me just want to throw up. Beria, according to his daughter and according to Montefiore had plans for reforming the Soviet Union when Stalin died. Doubt is oozing out of my every pore about that particular thing. However, it is a great read, and well worth the time and effort.
    It also sheds some light on the Soviet Union's less than stellar performance in the first few years of the war.