Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Megson positives

Here, there & anywhere that will have me..

Default Megson positives

Bear with me now while I try and articulate what I'm trying to say:

I was thinking of positive things that we have to thank Alex McLeish for and I would have to say signing Henderson and making Darlow No1.
    Then I thought about what we had to thank Cotterell for and Geudioura and that 3-7 vs Leeds sprung to mind.
    Even McLaren got us Reidy.
    Calderwood and O'Driscoll bought in many fine players - but I can't think of a single positive from the Megson reign.

Can anyone else?

The beast is stirring yet again!! :devil:

it has nothing to do with football or NFFC

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Megson positives

The only one is he weeded out a LOT of troublemakers in the dressing and tried to bring a more professional approach after Kinnears shambles.

That's one more than I can think of for Kinnear!!!

There are positive things to say about ALL our post Clough managers. Yes, I would even include Platt in that.

But the ONLY positive I can think about Megson's reign here, is that he will never be manager here again.

He left?
    He was awful but I have a soft spot for him now just because he was treated so harshly at Sheff Wed

Quote Originally Posted by Barnfather View Post
    There are positive things to say about ALL our post Clough managers. Yes, I would even include Platt in that.

But the ONLY positive I can think about Megson's reign here, is that he will never be manager here again.
    Pray share your positives about Platt - disregarding the last sentence if that relates to Platt too.

Megson signed Grant Holt for £300k pretty good! top goal scorer for Forest 06/07, 3rd top in the league that season I think (admittedly league 1) but I always loved Holt at Forest and could never understand the criticism

On the other hand Megson signed Tyson, Eaden, Padula, Breckin, the other Holt as well as resigning Impey and Rodgers (correct me if I'm wrong, probably am)

Megson was a complete and utter waste of space. As was Platt.

Horrible ginger Turd. What is it with Forest and shit ginge managers?

Quote Originally Posted by Trickie Trees View Post
    Horrible ginger Turd. What is it with Forest and shit ginge managers?
    just hope Sean Dyche never comes in!

No wonder my post count..

If it wasn't for megson, I'd probably still be known as Tom around these parts.

MOTHERFUCKINGDEXTERBLOODYBLACKSTOCKOHMYFUCKINGGODY ESGETINYOUMOTHERFUCKERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    FUCKINGHAVESOMEOFTHATYOUCUNTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Impressive member

I think Platt was clueless, whereas Megson is just a shit manager. Both equally bad in their own way.

Banned

Best thing he did for Forest and he wasn't even Forest manager...

http://youtu.be/sAMK7EMKMx4

And even that ended up with Forest loosing.

FFS MEGSON, SORT IT OUT.

Nothing positive about Megson.

Dadi
    Friio
    Cullip
    Dobie

There's four positives.

He... and then... and don't forget the time he... and of course finally... Errm, I'm out...

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    If it wasn't for megson, I'd probably still be known as Tom around these parts.
    Why on earth would anyone call you Tom, Gary? Christ I don't like my name but I don't go blaming Rosario for it.

He bought some decent players; Grant Holt, Tyson, Breckin, Clingan.

Didn't quite make up for the heap of shite he bought in prior to that, though.

Ah yes, theres a different positive I hadn't thought of....

He signed Eugene Dadi, a signing which still has plenty of comedy value to this very day!

The thing with Megson is that he was, by all accounts, a complete bastard who didn't seem to have a charming or tactful side to him (unlike, say, Neil Warnock). His football ethos was horrible to watch and his tactical stubbornness and constant blame-shifting endeared him to precisely no-one. And he wore one of those stupid brass bracelet things.

At least managers like Kinnear had a degree of charisma (not to mention Kinnear did very well for us when he first arrived, following the barren last season with Hart), whereas Megson had none.

Someone asked about Platts positives. Well there aren't too many, granted....but with Platt there was a genuine will and desire to do the management thing properly, even if it didn't work out for him. He didn't come across like a grade-A arsehole like Megson did, and whilst he was out of his depth there could be an argument that he didn't exactly have luck on his side either.....the famous 'three italians' are often held up as a hideous waste of money, but out of those three two of them looked like genuine quality - its just that one got homesick and another was always injured. We also had the season (the Robbie Blake one) where we should have made the playoffs if it wasn't for a wave of injuries that ran through the squad, not to mention a stupid red card from Vaughan. He also had an eye for decent players at times too, such as Riccy Scimica, Jim Brennan, Stern John, David Johnson, Ben Olsen and of course the loan of a young John Terry. He certainly wasn't a success at Forest and it could be argued started the downward slide, but compared to Gary Megson I think Platt is like Pep fucking Guardiola

Quote Originally Posted by Munich79 View Post
    Megson signed Grant Holt for £300k pretty good! top goal scorer for Forest 06/07, 3rd top in the league that season I think (admittedly league 1) but I always loved Holt at Forest and could never understand the criticism

On the other hand Megson signed Tyson, Eaden, Padula, Breckin, the other Holt as well as resigning Impey and Rodgers (correct me if I'm wrong, probably am)
    Impey (and perhaps Rogers) were Kinnear signings, and considering Impeys immediate impact after we hadn't scored for what seemed like decades, I won't criticise it.

The leafy, rarified suburb of Sneinton, Nottingham.

Megson's days were numbered from the moment he took those two fans into the dressing-room at Yeovil for what, in his defence, was probably the right reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Barnfather View Post
    ...... He certainly wasn't a success at Forest and it could be argued started the downward slide,......
    It could be argued? Not at all as it's as certain as one is born to die!

I don't dismiss the other points you made but if anyone should be held responsible for the decline of this club (at Manager level) it HAS to be Platt, good or bad signings, good or bad luck or injuries.. it was in his tenure and of course those above him that allowed it.

I despise him and aren't ashamed to admit it!

Should have gone with Roy Evans instead of Platt

I think the only thing Megson brought to the table was a big dose of ugly honesty, opening our eyes to the shit-tip our club had become. He shovelled some crap out the club I guess. But as a manager, dire.

Christ, looking back over the last 15 years we've had some proper awful lows.

Platt, Megson, Kinnear, League 1, Cotteril, Mclaren, Nicky Eaden, Arthur, Tragic death of a Chairman having spent stupid amounts of his own money getting us nowhere, being in a real financial pickle when up for sale, play-off heart-break a few times.

Just by law of averages we're due some good luck. I'm quite willing to believe that Fawaz adopting us could well be a massive step towards this.

He's made every manager since him seem alright in comparison - even Cotter-nil!!!

Megson is the worst Forest manager in my lifetime, that's a fact!

Why is it a fact?

Because as wank as Platt was, and Kinnear to a degree, Megson took our fine club and got us relegated to the fuckin third division!

That was just unforgivable.

He had no endearing qualities either but to be the first manager to get a European Cup winning club as low as the third tier then there can be no question in the fact that he's the worst Forest manager.

I hate him!