Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 43 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3341424344 LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,075 of 1086

Thread: The demise of Notts County

      
  1. #1051
    Devils favourite advocate
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    36,649

    Default Re: The demise of Notts County

    Quote Originally Posted by Bryn Gunn View Post
    Can't fault them, the trophy is a glorified bunch of training games.

    Stoke B
    The fans needed to vote with their feet on this issue.... go to the normal games in the competition and boycott the under 23 games. By attending them games they are signing a death warrant further down the line.


  2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many

  3. #1052

    Default Re: The demise of Notts County

    Fans in a no-win situation as ever. Gate receipts from those games are meaningless for the PL clubs, but could help the div 3 and 4 teams. One of the most memorable games I attended at Meadow Lane was the Area Final second leg in this comp in 1990 when County played Bristol Rovers. 11k were there (more than they were getting in the league even in a div 3 promotion year). Rovers had plenty, and some of them chased me off the pitch.


  4. #1053
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    5,724

    Default Re: The demise of Notts County

    Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    The fans needed to vote with their feet on this issue.... go to the normal games in the competition and boycott the under 23 games. By attending them games they are signing a death warrant further down the line.
    Agree with you on this one, giving those 'big' clubs the chance to train their young lads in competition with league clubs is just stupid; don't the EFL ever think before they act?


  5. #1054

    Default Re: The demise of Notts County

    They think "£$££££$$".

    Premier League chucks them more from their loose change jar than the FL Trophy can deliver in gate receipts.


  6. #1055
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    The leafy, rarified suburb of Sneinton, Nottingham.
    Posts
    7,445

    Default Re: The demise of Notts County

    Quote Originally Posted by EmmersonForest4 View Post
    I am proud of county being the first proffesional club and that happened in Nottingham!! It shows Nottingham's fantastic football heritage......
    Your pride is misplaced Emmo. To say that the "oldest professional club" claim is highly dubious is an understatement. There is simply no properly-scrutinised documentary evidence to back-up it up. As I've remarked on here before, it simply demonstrates how decades of unchallenged hearsay becomes routinely accepted as fact.

    Last edited by Otis Redd'un; 01-11-17 at 17:37.

  7. #1056
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    SHAQUE D'AMOUR
    Posts
    8,395

    Default Re: The demise of Notts County

    Quote Originally Posted by Otis Redd'un View Post
    Your pride is misplaced Emmo. To say that the "oldest professional club" claim is highly dubious is an understatement. There is simply no properly-scrutinised documentary evidence to back-up it up. As I've remarked on here before, it simply demonstrates how decades of unchallenged hearsay becomes routinely accepted as fact.
    Otis you were late in on this one; have you been ill?

    I fell in love with football as I was later to fall in love with women,. Suddenly, uncritically giving no thought to the pain it could bring. - Nick Hornby

  8. #1057
    Wandering around the CG
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Where men are men and so are the women
    Posts
    12,756

    Default Re: The demise of Notts County




  9. #1058
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    The leafy, rarified suburb of Sneinton, Nottingham.
    Posts
    7,445

    Default Re: The demise of Notts County

    I like to bide my time AR. Choose my moment so to speak.

    It's never too late to rubbish this "world's oldest club" pony.

    Last edited by Otis Redd'un; 01-11-17 at 21:29.

  10. #1059
    Devils favourite advocate
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    36,649

    Default Re: The demise of Notts County

    Quote Originally Posted by Otis Redd'un View Post
    I like to bide my time AR. Choose my moment so to speak.

    It's never too late to rubbish this "world's oldest club" pony.
    Can you provide any more sources for further reading or is it just hearsay?


  11. #1060
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    The leafy, rarified suburb of Sneinton, Nottingham.
    Posts
    7,445

    Default Re: The demise of Notts County

    What?


  12. #1061
    Rose-Coloured Boy
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    7th Heaven
    Posts
    7,703

    Default Re: The demise of Notts County

    Quote Originally Posted by Otis Redd'un View Post
    Your pride is misplaced Emmo. To say that the "oldest professional club" claim is highly dubious is an understatement. There is simply no properly-scrutinised documentary evidence to back-up it up. As I've remarked on here before, it simply demonstrates how decades of unchallenged hearsay becomes routinely accepted as fact.
    This is one of the major points in Nineteen-Eighty Four. What is a fact? If what's written down says something is a fact, and everyone thinks and says something is a fact, then it IS a fact. Truth doesn't come into it.


  13. #1062
    Devils favourite advocate
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    36,649

    Default Re: The demise of Notts County

    Quote Originally Posted by Otis Redd'un View Post
    What?
    This Notts not being the oldest league club. Im not doubting what your saying just would be interested to read more on the subject.


  14. #1063
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    The leafy, rarified suburb of Sneinton, Nottingham.
    Posts
    7,445

    Default Re: The demise of Notts County

    Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    This Notts not being the oldest league club. Im not doubting what your saying just would be interested to read more on the subject.

    That's just it Barry, there is nothing that unequivocally confirms that the present Notts County was established in 1862.

    Documented evidence does however exist that a group of young men previously known as "The Lings" (mainly comprising pupils and former pupils at Nottingham High School), who primarily played a hockey-like game called "shinny" on the Forest recreation ground, but had also been playing an early form of association football for a couple of years, officially became Nottingham Forest Football Club in the Autumn of 1865 at a meeting held in the Clinton Arms Hotel.

    Interestingly, and ironically, it was a Sadpie fan who I've known for many years who told me about the (at best) ambiguity surrounding the formation of his club.

    Last edited by Otis Redd'un; 02-11-17 at 15:53.

  15. #1064
    Left Winger
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Stuttgart/Ruddington/Airport
    Posts
    59,083

    Default Re: The demise of Notts County

    Listen to Otis on this topic!

    If there’s one man who’d know, it’s him, as he was there in 1862!

    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .


    (Joke, obvs, he’s not that old. Although rumour has it he was a ball boy at the 1898 FA Cup Final victory!)

    "It is better to live one day as a lion, than one hundred years as a sheep"

  16. #1065
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    SHAQUE D'AMOUR
    Posts
    8,395

    Default Re: The demise of Notts County

    Quote Originally Posted by Otis Redd'un View Post
    That's just it Barry, there is nothing that unequivocally confirms that the present Notts County was established in 1862.

    Documented evidence does however exist that a group of young men previously known as "The Lings" (mainly comprising pupils and former pupils at Nottingham High School), who primarily played a hockey-like game called "shinny" on the Forest recreation ground, but had also been playing an early form of association football for a couple of years, officially became Nottingham Forest Football Club in the Autumn of 1865 at a meeting held in the Clinton Arms Hotel.

    Interestingly, and ironically, it was a Sadpie fan who I've known for many years who told me about the (at best) ambiguity surrounding the formation of his club.
    The Clinton Arms you say? Were the strippers on that day?


  17. #1066
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    The leafy, rarified suburb of Sneinton, Nottingham.
    Posts
    7,445

    Default Re: The demise of Notts County

    Not sure the Victorian authorities would've tolerated such goings on then AR, even if those Forest lads would've probably appreciated it.

    The topless barmaids were a sight to behold in there on Friday lunchtimes however when I worked on the nearby Victoria Centre construction in the early-70s. Strippers regularly provided the Sunday lunchtime entertainment at that time.

    Last edited by Otis Redd'un; 02-11-17 at 17:31.

  18. #1067
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Down South
    Posts
    2,738

    Default Re: The demise of Notts County

    It dawned on me that Notts County have 2 entries into the checkatrade trophy,

    Notts County and Forest academy


  19. #1068
    Left Winger
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Stuttgart/Ruddington/Airport
    Posts
    59,083

    Default Re: The demise of Notts County

    Quote Originally Posted by siforest65 View Post
    It dawned on me that Notts County have 2 entries into the checkatrade trophy,

    Notts County and Forest academy
    Ooh. Brutal.


  20. #1069
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Down South
    Posts
    2,738

    Default Re: The demise of Notts County

    Quote Originally Posted by chriscl View Post
    Ooh. Brutal.
    You have to be as far as them freeloading fuckers are concerned.


  21. #1070
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Coventry
    Posts
    3,623

    Default Re: The demise of Notts County

    Looks like Ryan Yates scored 2 in under 2 minutes tonight...


  22. #1071

    Default Re: The demise of Notts County

    Forest 3 Brovers 2 County 1


  23. #1072

    Default Re: The demise of Notts County

    Promising, but can't see past another all-Chelsea last sixteen


  24. #1073
    Wandering around the CG
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Where men are men and so are the women
    Posts
    12,756

    Default Re: The demise of Notts County

    Jake Bugg is sponsoring their shirt now, can't find a picture of it yet.
    He's been on Radio Nottingham tonight saying he wanted to financially support the club in some way and both parties came up with the idea.


  25. #1074
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    2,553

    Default Re: The demise of Notts County

    Quote Originally Posted by Bryn Gunn View Post
    Jake Bugg is sponsoring their shirt now, can't find a picture of it yet.
    He's been on Radio Nottingham tonight saying he wanted to financially support the club in some way and both parties came up with the idea.
    I've seen a picture of it and it's not that bad.


  26. #1075
    It's all about mid-table...
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Wetherspoons
    Posts
    12,758

    Default Re: The demise of Notts County

    WTF is Baked Juggs ??


 

 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •