Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Whats different this time?

Rupert

Default Whats different this time?

We are once again going into another season with a strong team and plenty of reasons to be optimistic about whether we can finally be THAT team with the fairy tale promotion. However like all of you I have thought this many times in recent years, with play-off defeats, sackings, 'continental football' and many, many signings it is natural to be a little bit skeptical about whether we are serious about promotion or will at best scrape a play off place and not have the energy to push on to Wembley.

It's a tough league, with big teams being relegated such as QPR. Yet you could say the same for previous leagues and there has consistently been smaller squads achieving more points than Forest.

So LTLF what differences do you see this year to all the other heartbreaks we've had that make you think we can finally make that extra step.

For me, it's squad depth. We have players in every position who's soul job it is within the club is to secure a place in a particular role within the first team which will in return guarantee much more determination and chemistry within the team. As well as this is a general hunch that some players that have always shown promise will finally make a step up. I'm talking about Cohen, Blackstock, Majewski, Moussi. The talents which Billy used effectively to make us that team which went to West Brom away and put us back on the map again. Add to that the talents of Cox, Jara, De Vries, Abdoun, Mackie and a little butterfly in my stomach tells me we can not just string a few wins together. But play some real football and not just make the 'step-up' we need but the leap forward into the premier league that this club deserves

COYR! and all that

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Whats different this time?

Nicely written. Got me excited as well after reading that

not convinced personally - but like your style

Banned

Right I'm getting sick of this, when did QPR become a big club?

People are talking about them as if it was like when Newcastle where relegated.

Rupert

Quote Originally Posted by Jimboreds View Post
    Nicely written. Got me excited as well after reading that
    I had the urge to write something now that college has ended. Full time at mcdonalds isn't very stimulating

Rupert

Quote Originally Posted by michael View Post

Since they spent alot of money on players, none of us like it but thats modern football and for now they are a bigger club than us

Banned

Money doesn't make you a big club. QPR spent two years in the premier league and have crowds of aprox. 18000. They're not a big club.

Rupert

Money doesn't make you a big club. QPR spent two years in the premier league and have crowds of aprox. 18000. They're not a big club.
    They're a rich club though and they're not afraid to throw money around.

Quote Originally Posted by shearstone View Post
    They're a rich club though and they're not afraid to throw money around.
    Could argue that has been their downfall though? Money can make a big difference, but only if spent wisely.

I think the manager and the owner working together is the key difference for me. Davies and Fawaz seem happy in their working relationship, everyone seems to know what they are doing and more importantly, everyone seems to be pulling in the same direction.

Whatever your thoughts on who was in the right and who was in the wrong last time around regarding Davies and the board you have to say this time things seem a little bit rosier.

Davies' has no excuses anymore, he knows what is expected of him and he seems to agree with that expectation. A top 6 finish is a minimum requirement and the owner has done everything he can to ensure that the manager has what he feels he needs to achieve that.

A long season ahead, I think I'd struggle with another play-off heartache but as long as we are fighting at the right end of the table things are not all that bad.

Rupert

Quote Originally Posted by mouldynffc View Post
    Could argue that has been their downfall though? Money can make a big difference, but only if spent wisely.

I think the manager and the owner working together is the key difference for me. Davies and Fawaz seem happy in their working relationship, everyone seems to know what they are doing and more importantly, everyone seems to be pulling in the same direction.

Whatever your thoughts on who was in the right and who was in the wrong last time around regarding Davies and the board you have to say this time things seem a little bit rosier.

Davies' has no excuses anymore, he knows what is expected of him and he seems to agree with that expectation. A top 6 finish is a minimum requirement and the owner has done everything he can to ensure that the manager has what he feels he needs to achieve that.

A long season ahead, I think I'd struggle with another play-off heartache but as long as we are fighting at the right end of the table things are not all that bad.

Brilliant answer, thanks for that Definitely agree that Billy's lack of excuses shows even he maybe thinks it is finally expected of us that we produce something.

Nothings different.

Every summer we find a way to convince ourselves this is our year, ultimately we fail.

I don't believe with the current squad we'll get auto and I think we'll be in a scrap for 6th.

A top quality striker and Wilson (if he comes) we'd have a better chance but we'll still end up falling short, then we'll all be back again this time next year talking about how this season is the new season!

i think the main difference i see is we have round pegs for round holes, we have plenty of players for each position, which allows for tactical flexibilityand allows us to cater for Injuries and suspensions, we still need a few players, but we know that we are going for them. I think another reason to be confident is that there isnt one Star man that we overly rely on, theres quality throughout the team who are able to contribute to our overall success. A few more quality additions and we look very good and we have the manager to get the best out of them.

When speaking to a mate about the QPR situation (who doesn't know much about football). I made the analogy with a trip to Amsterdam. It might sound like a good idea taking lots of cash, but if you don't invest wisely and end up dropping a lot of cash on an lady with a blue light then you're going to have a bad time.

Quote Originally Posted by Butterscotch View Post
    When speaking to a mate about the QPR situation (who doesn't know much about football). I made the analogy with a trip to Amsterdam. It might sound like a good idea taking lots of cash, but if you don't invest wisely and end up dropping a lot of cash on an lady with a blue light then you're going to have a bad time.
    I nearly had one of these. Fooking shrooms and weed. This is why drugs should be illegal.

What's the same? I'm not as long in the tooth as many Forest fans but in my relatively short time supporting the club this is far and away the best summer we've had. I think on paper it's the best squad we've assembled for some time.

As well as this is a general hunch that some players that have always shown promise will finally make a step up. I'm talking about Cohen, Blackstock, Majewski, Moussi.
    I have no real expectation that the likes of Moussi and Blackstock will suddenly morph into superstars this season. Fortunately I don't think our season hinges on this happening. In fact, in a nutshell that probably is the difference. For the first time in a while, we have real strength and depth in our squad and are no longer asking our average players to be better than they are.

Whether we sign Wilson/Morgan and this mythical superstar striker or not, I really think we're in good shape right now. We have a manager who's delivered results consistently at this level, and an owner who's serious about promotion and is willing to invest to accomplish it. There's a far more legitimate basis for optimism heading into this season than there has been for a while in my opinion.

This

Whats different this time?

Billy with more money thus giving us the squad depth you talk about. Very difficult to even call the bench which is always a good thing.

WE HAVE A LEFT BACK

Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    WE HAVE A LEFT BACK
    who's been here for 5 years

Quote Originally Posted by matt1982 View Post
    This
    THESE

Also agree on the QPR thing. They are not a big club. They spent a lot of money, thats it. Leeds are a big club.

I didn't mean to infer Rich = Big I just meant by having that money and using it rashly or not they're still an attractive prospect for players arguably more so than us who are being more prudent in our spending (which will be to our benefit in the long run).

Quote Originally Posted by Art View Post
    who's been here for 5 years
    Lichaj?

Actually I'll expand on that because some will say he'll play at right back. But then what about Jara? And do we really know where Cohen is going to play? I think what is different this season has already been mentioned. We have quality all over the pitch and quality cover to back it up. Billy has no excuses but tbh I don't think he'll need them. We SHOULD be comfortable top 6 pushing top 2.