Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Billy Davies long lost lovechild.

Default Re: Billy's 2nd Choice

Quote Originally Posted by No 5 Terry Wilson View Post
    For me billy has had all the things he moaned he didnt have last time in place now. Ive said it before this is billys perfect storm and for me the season to put king billys legendary status to bed once and for all either way. With that forward line we could and should be so far behind that it ll be to late to do anything about it if we wait till january.
    I agree with regards things in place, but not the forward line.

This team + a CB will still he in the mix come Jan. I remember folk doing down our chances of top 6 that first full season under Davies too, but a team ethic gets you way more points than big names alone.

Just look at how "nailed on" for promotion we were and how much everyone was chucking their muck when we signed Boateng, Miller, Derbyshire & Greening.

Last edited by Alf-aSemedoBlueJeans&Chinos; 11-07-13 at 18:57.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Alf-Inge of Fudge View Post
    This team + a CB will still he in the mix come Jan.
    Agree with this, Billy was key to our success when we finished 3rd with a squad that was weaker imo.

Guidetti on loan maybe?

Would love Guidetti if not Sharp would be welcomed back from me. There are some decent other options abroad so its certainly not panic stations yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    Has Sharp ever scored 20 goals at this level?
    No, he hasn't, but he has scored 15,15,19 and 11 "league" goals in his last four seasons, which is a darn sight better than most strikers in this division so stop being so bloody negative will ya. Sharp would be a great addition.

Sage

The only bit of pace we have is Patterson! How can you say were going to get more goals from everyone else and effectively you mean Patterson going to set them all up. We have lost our top two goal scorers, we should be ready for the first game of the season not the 24th game its ludicrous, lets put it this way if any of us expect promotion or playoffs then the January strategy does more harm to it than good yes any team can have a good run but to rely on picking up form and points ratio is a barmy strategy.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregor Robertson View Post
    No, he hasn't, but he has scored 15,15,19 and 11 "league" goals in his last four seasons, which is a darn sight better than most strikers in this division so stop being so bloody negative will ya. Sharp would be a great addition.
    Most of those seasons were playing for a crap Donny team!!!

This team + a CB will still he in the mix come Jan. I remember folk doing down our chances of top 6 that first full season under Davies too, but a team ethic gets you way more points than big names alone.

Just look at how "nailed on" for promotion we were and how much everyone was chucking their muck when we signed Boateng, Miller, Derbyshire & Greening.
    There's no way there's enough goals in our team/squad currently, unless the likes of cox and henderson are going to really step up this season, but im not holding my breath. Take sharp and mcgugan out of the equation, who was a large source of goals last year, whether you liked him or not, and we look really short. There's still an awful lot of work to do, and particularly in finding the right striker.

Senior Doom Monger

I have to agree with an earlier poster who suggested with what we have got at the moment I can only see mid-table mediocrity.
    We do need to sign a quality player or 3... a good centre-back; a good wide man; and BILLY SHARP!

Quote Originally Posted by EmmersonForest4 View Post
    The only bit of pace we have is Patterson! How can you say were going to get more goals from everyone else and effectively you mean Patterson going to set them all up. We have lost our top two goal scorers, we should be ready for the first game of the season not the 24th game its ludicrous, lets put it this way if any of us expect promotion or playoffs then the January strategy does more harm to it than good yes any team can have a good run but to rely on picking up form and points ratio is a barmy strategy.
    Because Jara and Lichaj are Prem quality wide men which will help stretch teams.

And I'm not saying plan to buy in Jan, I'm saying others have gone up with late runs and fans like yourself ought to stop panicking if we don't land a striker - it's not "striker NOW or bust!" as some people's reactions would have you think.

And what's to say that we're not looking to sign more pace too?

Quote Originally Posted by matt1982 View Post
    There's no way there's enough goals in our team/squad currently, unless the likes of cox and henderson are going to really step up this season, but im not holding my breath. Take sharp and mcgugan out of the equation, who was a large source of goals last year, whether you liked him or not, and we look really short. There's still an awful lot of work to do, and particularly in finding the right striker.
    I disagree.

Cox, Blackstock, Raddy, Lansbury, Reid, even Pep & Halford all hav it in them to score. It's just about finding the right balance and hitting a bit of form.

I'd sooner have a striker in before the season starts, but it's not the be all and end all.

Last edited by Alf-aSemedoBlueJeans&Chinos; 11-07-13 at 19:21.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Sinister View Post
    I have to agree with an earlier poster who suggested with what we have got at the moment I can only see mid-table mediocrity.
    We do need to sign a quality player or 3... a good centre-back; a good wide man; and BILLY SHARP!
    Very true. We are a long way off from challenging at the moment. The key slots we need to fill are a powering leader of a CB and a top championship level striker. Without these two we will be nowhere near top 6.

I think you will be disappointed Alf if you think we will be in the mix with our current squad and by just adding a CB.
    Mid table for me as we stand.

I disagree.

Cox, Blackstock, Raddy, Lansbury, Reid, even Pep & Halford all hav it in them to score. It's just about finding the right balance and hitting a bit of form.

I'd sooner have a striker in before the season starts, but it's not the be all and end all.
    A bit naive here Alf. Those players are obviously very good but we need options. We need proven quality and Billy knows it

But people are assuming that a squad which saw us top 8 last season doesnt have enough to stay within touching distance until Jan.

We'll be minus Sharp, but plus 3 wide men - which will make a massive difference for the likes of Cox, Hendo, Blackstock etc.

IMO we've more than enough in the squad currently to keep us in touching distance, and shouldn't panic.

Also, its not about how long until the season starts, its about how long until the window closes.

Or we could panic-buy another Derbyshire?
    We may well be in touching distance until January, the Championship is a tight league, but you can be certain that the other teams at the top will be strengthening in January also, and the brevity and nature of the window means that you are often panic-buying overpriced players anyway.

The extra three wide-men is true, but there's absolutely no way our strike force or our back four is good enough. That needs rectifying before January.

Fawaz clearly wants promotion this season so he will be aiming for the automatics; as you say, there's nearly two months of the transfer window left, we have enough time to thoroughly bring in the 3-5 quality players we need without panic-buying to turn this squad into one that can challenge at the top of the table. The 'let's stay in touching distance and hope for the best after Christmas' approach is the wrong one. Thankfully, I think Fawaz agrees.

Because Jara and Lichaj are Prem quality wide men which will help stretch teams.

And I'm not saying plan to buy in Jan, I'm saying others have gone up with late runs and fans like yourself ought to stop panicking if we don't land a striker - it's not "striker NOW or bust!" as some people's reactions would have you think.

I disagree.

Blackstock was awful at the end if last season and Cox couldn't hit a barn door either. Lansbury is a goal threat and the new winger looks as though he knows where the net is too.
    But all in all we are around 15 goals short if the play offs and that's if we don't ship a ton at the other end.

Sage

I understand what your saying the response we might sign more pace is kind of what I think should happen, just none of our strikers are prolific and the thought of Tudgay playing half our games is making me feel very nervous, 1 in 5 the guy is useless. Teams do go on runs and last year our run wasnt down to new signings, its not very scientific. We should all agree though that transfers should be sorted by the first game we still have time left. Jara and Lichaj can not be counted as assit players or genuine wide men, Goal scoring was a major issue last year and the loss of defenders if we were to start the season tomorrow we would way short.

As you said whos to say more transfers wont come in and your right I'm sure well bring players in because in short we have to for the squads sake.

I disagree.

But we can't rely on midfield goals, like we were for such a long spell last year. Our strikers have to start doing what theyre paid for, and if the current ones aren't up to it, then we need more and better

Quote Originally Posted by puds1970 View Post
    I think you will be disappointed Alf if you think we will be in the mix with our current squad and by just adding a CB.
    Mid table for me as we stand.
    Meh, folk kept telling me McClaren was gonna spunk us to wonderland too coz Miller & Derbyshire had signed.

Here's the starting lineup on the 1st day of the season we finished 3rd...........

1 Lee Camp
    5 Wes Morgan
    16 Chris Gunter
    33 Joel Lynch
    4 Luke Chambers
    15 Chris Cohen (Tyson 73)
    18 Paul McKenna
    28 Radoslaw Majewski
    17 David McGoldrick (Earnshaw 61)
    14 Joe Garner (McCleary 78 )
    9 Dele Adebola

........Now tell me we aint gonna start with a better 1st 11 than that

I'll leave it with you chaps.

But we can't rely on midfield goals, like we were for such a long spell last year. Our strikers have to start doing what theyre paid for, and if the current ones aren't up to it, then we need more and better
    Yes we can. Players don't have a set number of goals they can cash in a season. Just ask Lampard, and for that matter see how Pep, Lansbury & Raddy fair with a bit more width in the side.

Last edited by Alf-aSemedoBlueJeans&Chinos; 11-07-13 at 19:33.

Bridgford Lower Z2

Three weeks is ages, we could sign at least two in a week if needs be. We have till September anyway which is ages. If we signed a striker just before the windows closed we'd have months before January, and he'd only miss a few games in august. Doubt we'd be out of the top six mix by then.

So that guy didn't sign in the end then? Fucking bullshit. Why get our hopes up by posting these possibilities?! Wait until they've officially signed ffs.

Sage

Meh, folk kept telling me McClaren was gonna spunk us to wonderland too coz Miller & Derbyshire had signed.

Here's the starting lineup on the 1st day of the season we finished 3rd...........

1 Lee Camp
    5 Wes Morgan
    16 Chris Gunter
    33 Joel Lynch
    4 Luke Chambers
    18 Paul McKenna
    28 Radoslaw Majewski
    9 Dele Adebola

Yes we can. Players don't have a set number of goals they can cash in a season. Just ask Lampard, and for that matter see how Pep, Lansbury & Raddy fair with a bit more width in the side.
    I think this shows more what a great manager Billy is as I said in the Cotteril thread you cant say Cotteril's Forest team was bad enough to go down then say Billy didnt do a fantastic job. Look you definitely have a point. If this is a point against panicking then you win but if your saying this squad is good enough it has a chance every team in the championship has a chance but on paper it lacking and long way off.

Banned

I can see where alfs coming from i personally think a fully fit landsbury could get 15 goals this season. I expect cox and henderson to exceed expectations as well, dex raddy pep not really, patterson reid 5 or 6 each. I recon we will get a striker in the loan market septemberish but who knows maybe we are battling it out for carlton cole on a free

1 Lee Camp
    5 Wes Morgan
    16 Chris Gunter
    33 Joel Lynch
    4 Luke Chambers
    18 Paul McKenna
    28 Radoslaw Majewski
    9 Dele Adebola

Yes but that wasn't the normal starting line up was it. We'd normally have blackstock and earnie up front, still our best partnership for goals in recent years, and shorey at left back for at least some of the season. Comparing that side with this, I think currently you'd actually have to say that side was better. Camp, Gunter, Morgan were as good as there were in the league, McKenna was a lynchpin in midfield, and we also had options off the bench. We do have the makings of something similar now but theres still a lot to do. Also the expectations that year were low and we overachieved, whereas now they're a lot greater.

Yes but that wasn't the normal starting line up was it. We'd normally have blackstock and earnie up front, still our best partnership for goals in recent years, and shorey at left back for at least some of the season. Comparing that side with this, I think currently you'd actually have to say that side was better. Camp, Gunter, Morgan were as good as there were in the league, McKenna was a lynchpin in midfield, and we also had options off the bench. We do have the makings of something similar now but theres still a lot to do. Also the expectations that year were low and we overachieved, whereas now they're a lot greater.
    Yes but that lineup took time to develop, which is my entire point about not worrying about having a striker there on day 1 of the season.

Do you get me now?

Quote Originally Posted by puds1970 View Post
    Blackstock was awful at the end if last season and Cox couldn't hit a barn door either. Lansbury is a goal threat and the new winger looks as though he knows where the net is too.
    But all in all we are around 15 goals short if the play offs and that's if we don't ship a ton at the other end.
    To be fair Puds Blackstock scored 8 in 16 under Cotterill's shite management and played a lot of games in two top 6 finishes - IMO he's become massively underrated just because of a few dodgy months. Still no world beater, but capable at this level with the right service.

Quote Originally Posted by EmmersonForest4 View Post
    I think this shows more what a great manager Billy is as I said in the Cotteril thread you cant say Cotteril's Forest team was bad enough to go down then say Billy didnt do a fantastic job. Look you definitely have a point. If this is a point against panicking then you win but if your saying this squad is good enough it has a chance every team in the championship has a chance but on paper it lacking and long way off.
    And that's the thing, I've never said that at all I'm saying we've enough to get through to Jan and stay within touching distance.

Last edited by Alf-aSemedoBlueJeans&Chinos; 11-07-13 at 20:03.

What, similar to like how Reading did? Or how we did under Clark when some fans were calling Collymore a flop?
    good thinking - all we have to do is make a definite plan to win every single game from january onwards and its sorted - not sure what all the fuss is about ...

Yes but that lineup took time to develop, which is my entire point about not worrying about having a striker there on day 1 of the season.

Do you get me now?
    Well no, as both dex and earnie were there at the start of the season, so it actually suggests, on the contrary, that it's very important to have everything you want in place on the first day.

(that starting line up you posted was just billy trying to be clever on the first day, but he soon reverted to dex and earnie)