Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 307 of 312 FirstFirst ... 207257297305306307308309 ... LastLast
Results 7,651 to 7,675 of 7781

Thread: Cricket thread!

Default Re: Cricket thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Yates View Post
    Shane Warne is a tool with a massive face

I thought Ricky Ponting was good though
    I've said before I don't mind the Aussies. Ponting was a fucker as a player but he's a well balanced human in th com box

Sent from my ELE-L09 using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Yeah, Pointing is good.

Has always seemed quite likeable when after retiring from playing pantomime baddie in the Ashes in general.

Iíd rather listen to the likes of Beefy, Gower, Michael Holding & Bob Willis ect, players that have done it all & have stories to tell

Canít say I give a toss for the likes of Rob Key
    Exactly. Who else has got a Tiger Moth story with Lammy waving at him from the crease? Stuff of legend

Quote Originally Posted by eugenboppboppbopp View Post
    Yep bin em all off and get some young uns in talking about twatting 6s

The ashes coverage has been fantastic by sky. And without the ashes test match cricket would be dead here.

And the best cricket to watch is an ashes series

All my opinion of course.

Why must they talk about twatting sixes just because they're younger, as if test cricket belong to sexagenerians?

If it does, then it really is doomed.

Iíd rather listen to the likes of Beefy, Gower, Michael Holding & Bob Willis ect, players that have done it all & have stories to tell

Canít say I give a toss for the likes of Rob Key
    Rob Key is dull too.

His test career was on a par with David Lloyd though. Being a good player doesn't necessarily make somebody good at covering the sport in the media. Loads of examples to prove that.

Last edited by Francis Benali (on loan); 15-09-19 at 20:41.

Not that type of player

Holding is good to listen to. I like Athers and Nasser too. They should get Vaughan back. He was opinionated and had also walked the talk.

It only takes a second to score a goal.

Quote Originally Posted by Francis Benali (on loan) View Post
    Why must they talk about twatting sixes just because they're younger, as if test cricket belong to sexagenerians?

If it does, then it really is doomed.
    Was a throwaway comment to be honest, just sad to see the old guard being farmed out when they still seem to be on top of their game

Rob Key is dull too.

His test career was on a par with David Lloyd though. Being a good player doesn't necessarily make somebody good at covering the sport in the media. Loads of examples to prove that.
    Being good at both is the perfect match. Was a few of them working for sky recently

Rob Key is dull too.

I agree, Bumble though despite an ordinary test career was an excellent county cricketer for Lancs, he’s also been an umpire & England team coach.

I agree, Bumble though despite an ordinary test career was an excellent county cricketer for Lancs, heís also been an umpire & England team coach.
    He wasn't a very good coach though. Or at least he coached a fairly bad England side.

He wasn't a very good coach though. Or at least he coached a fairly bad England side.
    Probably a shit umpire too but he’s a very good pundit

oopsy daisy!

Quote Originally Posted by Wes' Organ View Post
    Beefy wasn't saying a single word that he wasn't contracted to.
    I don't blame him

I was hoping Gower and Botham would go out like Dave Lee Travis.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Ian Ward achoring the studio more in future.
    Hes a pretty good presenter but doesnt have the back catalogue of anecdotes Gower had.

Nas, Athers and Bumble are brilliant, as is Guha.
    Vaughan would be good back on TV as would Ponting. Michael Clark is also very good.

The likes of Strauss, Key, Butcher, Knight id rather see less of.
    Warne is a bellend but Sky love him.

I do like Charles Dagnall for the shorter game.

Sexual Tyrannosaurus

Willis is staying.

Gower let "haven't a fucking clue" slip into his commentary.

TMS will always be better commentary any way.

"Ive only met Andy....last week actually and can confirm he is in 2nd place in sexiest fucker on here stakes." -Barry

No longer unnervingly close to Anatoli's house

Anyone else off to finals day ?

The leafy, rarified suburb of Sneinton, Nottingham.

Quote Originally Posted by Daz42 View Post
    It'll be an interesting month or so while the hierarchy pick the bones out of this summer.
    Plenty to consider and some interesting decisions could be made in the Test format.

Who coaches them?
    Burns and Denly to continue opening?
    Has Denly done enough?
    Root to stay at 3 or blood Sibley/Crawley and Root back to 4?
    Wicketkeeping debate to be had?
    Is Roy given another opportunity on a winter tour?
    Buttler probably stays in?
    Mo Ali back in with Leach as the spinners?
    Anderson, Archer, Broad, Woakes, Overton, Stone to provide the pace.

Who is knocking on the door from the County circuit.
    You are Michael Vaughan and I claim my £5!

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Wolfgang Schnell BSc. PhD. View Post
    Anyone else off to finals day ?
    No, contemplated it. My Dad has a natural pessimistic outlook on all sports teams he follows and when the idea comes up before the draw always says finals day is forty overs of watching Notts get beat and 80 overs of watching other counties play each other. Over spent this month so I didn't challenge it.

Notts v Derbyshire finish to the cricket season would be fun.

There was an attempted catch by Stokes at slip yesterday afternoon, think from Wade off Root. It went fast and too high. Stokes dived backwards and tipped it up, but backwards and it dropped safe. He had no chance really.

Botham praised his efforts. All positive, but said sometimes those stick.

I know Botham was a good slip fielder, and I only remember the end when he was in a team of ageing team of Gower, Gatting, Lamb, Emburey, Hemmings so it's not really fair. Both the Botham I remember, and his era in general, they didn't stick, they weren't even attempted. That ball would have been waved it on its way to third man.

Granted that particular late 80s/early 90s England team was old, but some no older than Joe Denly who took the catch of the series at Lord's. Fielding now compared to thirty years ago is just one way the game has moved on considerably. When Jonty Rhodes appeared in the early nineties and everybody thought at the time he was a freak because he was an athlete who dived and stopped a few through point.

All sport moves on in a similar way, and then you have ex players in the media offering insight on a game that is very different to the one they were good at decades ago. Botham critiquing the diving attempts of Ben Stokes in the field in 2019 is just one of those moments where broadcasters will notice their coverage has gone a bit stale.

The ones who can keep it going until they are ready to retire are those who become good at presenting the sport and let others do the talking, rather than the go to person for insight. The latter just unfortunately becomes less relevant by the year.

Radio is different, because they've air time to fill with old stories and idle chat and it works. But tv is speaking less and focusing on the analysis and what is happening

It was funny yesterday that those two even looked like cricket's answer to Smashie n Nicey.

Last edited by Francis Benali (on loan); 16-09-19 at 08:13.

There was an attempted catch by Stokes at slip yesterday afternoon, think from Wade of Root. It went fast and too high. Stokes dived backwards and tipped it up, but backwards and it dropped safe. He had no chance really.

Botham praised his efforts. All positive, but said sometimes those stick.

I know Botham was a good slip fielder, and I only remember the end when he was in a team of ageing team of Gower, Gatting, Lamb, Emburey, Hemmings so it's not really fair. Both the Botham I remember, and his era in general, they didn't stick, they weren't even attempted. That ball would have been waved it on it's way to third man.

Granted that particular late 80s/early 90s England team was old, but some no older than Joe Denly who took the catch of the series at Lord's. Fielding now compared to thirty years ago is just one way the game has moved on considerably. When Jonty Rhodes appeared in the early nineties and everybody thought at the time he was a freak because he was an athlete who dived and stopped a few through point.

All sport moves on in a similar way, and then you have ex players in the media offering insight on a game that is very different to the one they were good at decades ago. Botham critiquing the diving attempts of Ben Stokes in the field in 2019 is just one of those moments where broadcasters will notice their coverage has gone a bit stale.

The ones who can keep it going until they are ready to retire are those who become good at presenting the sport and let others do the talking, rather than the go to person for insight. The latter just unfortunately becomes less relevant by the year.

Radio is different, because they've air time to fill with old stories and idle chat and it works. But tv is speaking less and focusing on the analysis and what is happening

It was funny yesterday that those two even looked like cricket's answer to Smashie n Nicey.
    Not 'arf mate.
    Botham also does a lot of great work for charidee but doesnt like to talk about it.

Senior Curmudgeon

No, contemplated it. My Dad has a natural pessimistic outlook on all sports teams he follows
    I'm not surprised with you as a son.

Sacrificing Ashes for a World Cup win appears worthwhile for England

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...ars-worthwhile

Essex go 12pts above Somerset in Championship. Somerset lodging it again.

Play each other at Taunton next week.

The leafy, rarified suburb of Sneinton, Nottingham.

Notts still manage to conspire to lose a game despite posting a first-innings score just 2 runs shy of 500.

I was just about to add the adjective 'unbelievable' until I realised it's actually anything but with this lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Otis Redd'un View Post
    Notts still manage to conspire to lose a game despite posting a first-innings score just 2 runs shy of 500.

I was just about to add the adjective 'unbelievable' until I realised it's actually anything but with this lot.
    Might win a trophy on Saturday though Elisa