Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 89

Thread: How would you solve the problem of the Scottish League system............

      
  1. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Korean Red
    Posts
    737

    Default Re: How would you solve the problem of the Scottish League system............

    Put Celtic into the very bottom tier like was done with AFC Wimbledon and see how they fare. The Scotland/England rivalry also has its positives. Bring them on.


  2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Advertising world
    Posts
    Many

  3. #27
    No wonder my post count..
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Lancaster
    Posts
    11,961

    Default Re: How would you solve the problem of the Scottish League system............

    Quote Originally Posted by theloner View Post
    Put Celtic into the very bottom tier like was done with AFC Wimbledon and see how they fare. The Scotland/England rivalry also has its positives. Bring them on.
    The extra travel costs would cripple the league if that happened.



    MOTHERFUCKINGDEXTERBLOODYBLACKSTOCKOHMYFUCKINGGODY ESGETINYOUMOTHERFUCKERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    FUCKINGHAVESOMEOFTHATYOUCUNTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  4. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    533

    Default Re: How would you solve the problem of the Scottish League system............

    To the original post saying their support is higher maybe thats because there are far more clubs in England.


  5. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Cork, Ireland
    Posts
    135

    Default Re: How would you solve the problem of the Scottish League system............

    I can only assume the great hatred towards Rangers & Celtic coming south to play in English, is out of fear. Fear that they may take the place of two current league clubs? Fear that they might have the audacity to win a trophy in England? Every day on the tv you hear people saying they are "proud to be British". So why not welcome another two British teams into the league? You've just had an all British team play in the Olympics.......it's not that inconceivable.

    To the poster who is worried about "bringing all that sectarian bollocks" with them, i know that Celtic have played a few English teams in the last decade, notably Man Utd, Liverpool and Blackburn. Celtic fans behaved impeccably and there were no problems reported. In fact Celtic and Liverpool have long been the best of buddies, as have Rangers and Chelsea.

    Last edited by Hibernia Red; 07-03-13 at 05:36.

  6. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The prettier side of the Erewash
    Posts
    14,010

    Default Re: How would you solve the problem of the Scottish League system............

    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia Red View Post
    I can only assume the great hatred towards Rangers & Celtic coming south to play in English, is out of fear. Fear that they may take the place of two current league clubs? Fear that they might have the audacity to win a trophy in England? Every day on the tv you hear people saying they are "proud to be British". So why not welcome another two British teams into the league? You've just had an all British team play in the Olympics.......it's not that inconceivable. .
    Well let's disband the SPL, the SFL, the Prem, the FL and the LoW and have a British league then. Makes more sense than two teams suddenly deciding they are more British than Scottish.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia Red View Post
    To the poster who is worried about "bringing all that sectarian bollocks" with them, i know that Celtic have played a few English teams in the last decade, notably Man Utd, Liverpool and Blackburn. Celtic fans behaved impeccably and there were no problems reported. In fact Celtic and Liverpool have long been the best of buddies, as have Rangers and Chelsea.
    Rangers didn't behave too well in Manchester not too long back. But that's not really the point I was making; there is a lot of sectarian hatred with those two clubs - that we just don't have in the English leagues, we have enough problems without importing fresh ones.

    Last edited by Barbus; 07-03-13 at 07:24.

  7. #31
    Sexual Tyrannosaurus
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Behind you
    Posts
    36,734

    Default

    Err don't most Scots hate being British? I mean a fair few want to pay their own welfare bill so it must be a big thing.


  8. #32
    Wandering around the CG
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Where men are men and so are the women
    Posts
    12,778

    Default Re: How would you solve the problem of the Scottish League system............

    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia Red View Post
    To the poster who is worried about "bringing all that sectarian bollocks" with them, i know that Celtic have played a few English teams in the last decade, notably Man Utd, Liverpool and Blackburn. Celtic fans behaved impeccably and there were no problems reported. In fact Celtic and Liverpool have long been the best of buddies, as have Rangers and Chelsea.
    Its actually already here, the amount of times i've seen fans sing doing a loyalist salute, England and Chelsea fans being the worst for it.
    Its got no place in the English game and the last thing we need is more of it.


  9. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    On the less sophisticated side of the Midlands
    Posts
    6,269

    Default Re: How would you solve the problem of the Scottish League system............

    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia Red View Post
    I can only assume the great hatred towards Rangers & Celtic coming south to play in English, is out of fear. Fear that they may take the place of two current league clubs? Fear that they might have the audacity to win a trophy in England? Every day on the tv you hear people saying they are "proud to be British". So why not welcome another two British teams into the league? You've just had an all British team play in the Olympics.......it's not that inconceivable.

    To the poster who is worried about "bringing all that sectarian bollocks" with them, i know that Celtic have played a few English teams in the last decade, notably Man Utd, Liverpool and Blackburn. Celtic fans behaved impeccably and there were no problems reported. In fact Celtic and Liverpool have long been the best of buddies, as have Rangers and Chelsea.
    Isn't it the SFA that are wildly defensive of maintaining a Scottish League because they are concerned that UEFA/FIFA would get rid of Scotland as an international side if Scotch teams played in England?

    If they lost Celtic & Rangers the SFA would have very little left to justify their own leagues and international status. Though strangely the Welsh appear to get in under the radar with Cardiff, Swansea & Wrexham.


  10. #34
    winnits
    Guest

    Default Re: How would you solve the problem of the Scottish League system............

    Quote Originally Posted by rogerthecat View Post
    Isn't it the SFA that are wildly defensive of maintaining a Scottish League because they are concerned that UEFA/FIFA would get rid of Scotland as an international side if Scotch teams played in England?

    If they lost Celtic & Rangers the SFA would have very little left to justify their own leagues and international status. Though strangely the Welsh appear to get in under the radar with Cardiff, Swansea & Wrexham.
    Not to mention Liverpool and the Brizzles.


  11. #35
    Devils favourite advocate
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    36,722

    Default Re: How would you solve the problem of the Scottish League system............

    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia Red View Post
    I can only assume the great hatred towards Rangers & Celtic coming south to play in English, is out of fear. Fear that they may take the place of two current league clubs? Fear that they might have the audacity to win a trophy in England? Every day on the tv you hear people saying they are "proud to be British". So why not welcome another two British teams into the league? You've just had an all British team play in the Olympics.......it's not that inconceivable.

    To the poster who is worried about "bringing all that sectarian bollocks" with them, i know that Celtic have played a few English teams in the last decade, notably Man Utd, Liverpool and Blackburn. Celtic fans behaved impeccably and there were no problems reported. In fact Celtic and Liverpool have long been the best of buddies, as have Rangers and Chelsea.
    Because its an English league not a British one. Sorry but its tough shit that the Scottish league is poor, the only reason they want to come down here is because they want a slice of the premier league pie. If they want to move leagues then Celtic can fly their flags in the league of Ireland seeing as they love the place so much.

    Last edited by Barry; 07-03-13 at 14:12.

  12. #36
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    12,654

    Default Re: How would you solve the problem of the Scottish League system............

    Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    The extra travel costs would cripple the league if that happened.
    Unlikely. They wouldn't slot into the same league as AFC Wimbledon, just the same level on the pyramid. I can't see any reason why the cost of travel to Glasgow would be prohibitive for any club in the Northern Alliance.

    Last edited by Carayol Camping; 07-03-13 at 16:34.

  13. #37
    Swedish Meatball
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    5,114

    Default

    Financially the impact of having a few thousand Celtic or Rangers fans turn up in non-league games and the improved TV deal the clubs could negotiate would outweigh putting more petrol in the coach tank once a season.

    On the why Welsh teams and not Scottish question - Wales is a principality and Scotland is a country. Scotland could become independent of Britain in a couple of years if the referendum goes Salmond's way.


  14. #38
    Wandering around the CG
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Where men are men and so are the women
    Posts
    12,778

    Default Re: How would you solve the problem of the Scottish League system............

    Quote Originally Posted by No 5 Terry Wilson View Post
    If they want to move leagues then Celtic can fly their flags in the league of Ireland seeing as they love the place so much.
    Well said. I like the attitude Terry, fuck 'em.


  15. #39
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    On the less sophisticated side of the Midlands
    Posts
    6,269

    Default Re: How would you solve the problem of the Scottish League system............

    Quote Originally Posted by Brolin View Post
    Financially the impact of having a few thousand Celtic or Rangers fans turn up in non-league games and the improved TV deal the clubs could negotiate would outweigh putting more petrol in the coach tank once a season.

    On the why Welsh teams and not Scottish question - Wales is a principality and Scotland is a country. Scotland could become independent of Britain in a couple of years if the referendum goes Salmond's way.
    Doesn't explain why the Welch remain relaxed about maintaining their international status but the Scotch don't.


  16. #40
    Devils favourite advocate
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    36,722

    Default Re: How would you solve the problem of the Scottish League system............

    Quote Originally Posted by Brolin View Post
    Financially the impact of having a few thousand Celtic or Rangers fans turn up in non-league games and the improved TV deal the clubs could negotiate would outweigh putting more petrol in the coach tank once a season.

    On the why Welsh teams and not Scottish question - Wales is a principality and Scotland is a country. Scotland could become independent of Britain in a couple of years if the referendum goes Salmond's way.
    Being an Eastwood native I have to disagree with this completely. FC United of Manchester at the start and before they found their present level used to travel in large numbers to non league grounds.... we are talking 2 k plus for big games to many grounds and then they would just wreck them. We are talking fans who were used to segregation at man united in big grounds now having free rain at local grounds. Local pubs would get done over fag machines, gamblers etc the grounds would be vandelised and the extra costs involved for Clubs like Eastwood Town in policing the one off influx far outweighed the money coming in from the one game that they got the escalated numbers at. These werent isolated incidents these were chairman rubbing their hands at the start of the season ending up regretting it because of the attitude of the United fans some of whom were on banning orders for violence at United games but able to slip through the net in non league.

    I cant really see much difference in inviting 2000 mancs into your ground as a non league club as opposed to a 2000 pissed up sweaty socks shouting "up the RA" waving their irish flags etc.


  17. #41
    Devils favourite advocate
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    36,722

    Default Re: How would you solve the problem of the Scottish League system............

    Quote Originally Posted by Bridgford_71 View Post
    Well said. I like the attitude Terry, fuck 'em.



  18. #42
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    On the less sophisticated side of the Midlands
    Posts
    6,269

    Default Re: How would you solve the problem of the Scottish League system............

    Quote Originally Posted by No 5 Terry Wilson View Post
    Being an Eastwood native I have to disagree with this completely. FC United of Manchester at the start and before they found their present level used to travel in large numbers to non league grounds.... we are talking 2 k plus for big games to many grounds and then they would just wreck them. We are talking fans who were used to segregation at man united in big grounds now having free rain at local grounds. Local pubs would get done over fag machines, gamblers etc the grounds would be vandelised and the extra costs involved for Clubs like Eastwood Town in policing the one off influx far outweighed the money coming in from the one game that they got the escalated numbers at. These werent isolated incidents these were chairman rubbing their hands at the start of the season ending up regretting it because of the attitude of the United fans some of whom were on banning orders for violence at United games but able to slip through the net in non league.

    I cant really see much difference in inviting 2000 mancs into your ground as a non league club as opposed to a 2000 pissed up sweaty socks shouting "up the RA" waving their irish flags etc.
    All very good points. No doubt some Sweaty's would see it as an opportuinity to have a go at the English and justify it as revenge for some long forgotten slight from the time of Edward I. There's nothing a chippy Jock likes more than to play the victim to the hated English.

    However, these would be the "proper" Celtic & Rangers not a spin off for disgruntled fans who couldn't accept that a foreigner bought "their" club much as they bought their plastic flags and Ryan Giggs shirts at the the Old Trafford megastore on their annual trip up from Surrey. There are huge numbers of decent Scots exiles living in England that would take the opportunity to follow their side in the English leagues and do it in an adult way. Some of them can even use cutlery and speak coherantly. I don't want the Old Firm playing in England but I don't think it would be as bad as Terry does if they did.


  19. #43
    Who cares Anyway...?
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Chilwell (The posh end of Beeston)
    Posts
    4,752

    Default Re: How would you solve the problem of the Scottish League system............

    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia Red View Post
    I can only assume the great hatred towards Rangers & Celtic coming south to play in English, is out of fear. Fear that they may take the place of two current league clubs? Fear that they might have the audacity to win a trophy in England? Every day on the tv you hear people saying they are "proud to be British". So why not welcome another two British teams into the league? You've just had an all British team play in the Olympics.......it's not that inconceivable.

    To the poster who is worried about "bringing all that sectarian bollocks" with them, i know that Celtic have played a few English teams in the last decade, notably Man Utd, Liverpool and Blackburn. Celtic fans behaved impeccably and there were no problems reported. In fact Celtic and Liverpool have long been the best of buddies, as have Rangers and Chelsea.
    They're best friends with the scousers you say? Well that's good enough for me, I'll welcome them with open arms.


  20. #44
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    12,654

    Default Re: How would you solve the problem of the Scottish League system............

    Quote Originally Posted by No 5 Terry Wilson View Post
    Being an Eastwood native I have to disagree with this completely. FC United of Manchester at the start and before they found their present level used to travel in large numbers to non league grounds.... we are talking 2 k plus for big games to many grounds and then they would just wreck them. We are talking fans who were used to segregation at man united in big grounds now having free rain at local grounds. Local pubs would get done over fag machines, gamblers etc the grounds would be vandelised and the extra costs involved for Clubs like Eastwood Town in policing the one off influx far outweighed the money coming in from the one game that they got the escalated numbers at. These werent isolated incidents these were chairman rubbing their hands at the start of the season ending up regretting it because of the attitude of the United fans some of whom were on banning orders for violence at United games but able to slip through the net in non league.

    I cant really see much difference in inviting 2000 mancs into your ground as a non league club as opposed to a 2000 pissed up sweaty socks shouting "up the RA" waving their irish flags etc.
    FC United's fans might have been a disgrace in and around Eastwood, but they were an absolute cash bonanza for the club itself. ETFC would have had them back every week, if they could.


  21. #45
    Devils favourite advocate
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    36,722

    Default Re: How would you solve the problem of the Scottish League system............

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd Stranglew@nk View Post
    FC United's fans might have been a disgrace in and around Eastwood, but they were an absolute cash bonanza for the club itself. ETFC would have had them back every week, if they could.
    Thats not what the owner of the club was quoted as saying at the time.


  22. #46
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    12,654

    Default Re: How would you solve the problem of the Scottish League system............

    As with everything he said, take it with a huge pinch of salt.


  23. #47
    Devils favourite advocate
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    36,722

    Default Re: How would you solve the problem of the Scottish League system............

    Oh yeah goes without saying mate..... cant remember the full details but it was something to do with him paying for setanta to be on in the club as united were playing the same night and them causing trouble over it


  24. #48

    Default Re: How would you solve the problem of the Scottish League system............

    Celtic go 24 points clear at the top.


  25. #49
    Devils favourite advocate
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    36,722

    Default Re: How would you solve the problem of the Scottish League system............

    They could actually do 10 in a row


  26. #50

    Default Re: How would you solve the problem of the Scottish League system............

    The seats at Livingston are arranged to spell out 'MOTOROLA'. Crap.


 

 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •