Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How would you solve the problem of the Scottish League system............

Default How would you solve the problem of the Scottish League system............

The latest recommendations of one league splitting into 3 to play for league title, euro place and relegation got me thinking what do you reckon should happen in Scotland I have a fair few ideas...... To set the scene Scotland has more fans going to games on a weekend on percentage than England http://www.sportingintelligence.com/...ngland-020403/, Scotland having 3.68 percent compared to Englands 2.79.

So that is the case there is a fan base so my 1st recommendation is to have the Premier league with 16 teams in it, then a lower league with 20 teams.

The scottish prem would have 16 teams but I would recommend clubs should merge to make super clubs so a chance of challenging the 2 Glasgow clubs could actually happen (I know its very controversial), but I would merge Dundee and Dundee United and make Dundee City, and Ross County and Inverness and have Highland United and things like that. I know its controversial but the reasons for it would be to make football clubs in Scotland that are competitive or just close to the Glasgow clubs in terms of finance there needs to be clubs in Scotland that are getting 30000 a week just to compete and the competitiveness is the key to making the league more profitable and more money means better academies making Scottish football better.

The second Tier would not have relegation but the team that finishes bottom would be considered for re election being that a good viable alternative to come also I would have B teams from the top league in this league giving Youngsters a great experience. This league will have a playoffs system again adding to the excitemnet driving attendances up.

What would you do? the only other option I heard is Celtic and Rangers coming to England leaving there B teams to play in Scotland.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: How would you solve the problem of the Scottish League system............

Anything that ensures Celtic and Rangers never come and play in the English leagues.

Default Re: How would you solve the problem of the Scottish League system............

Would rather not have Celtic and Ranger in the English leagues thank you very much, but its interesting to see the amount of fans that go for a league that is basically all Celtic.

Destroy Scotland

I couldn't give a flying fuck about Scottish football, as long as Celtic and Rangers keep their grubby hands off our leagues.

Sexual Tyrannosaurus

If the Scottish are really that bothered they should turn up and watch their local side.

Just'aYoung'un

Quote Originally Posted by EmmersonForest4 View Post
    The scottish prem would have 16 teams but I would recommend clubs should merge to make super clubs so a chance of challenging the 2 Glasgow clubs could actually happen (I know its very controversial), but I would merge Dundee and Dundee United and make Dundee City, and Ross County and Inverness and have Highland United and things like that.
    There is not a chance in hell that Celtic and Rangers; Dundee and Dundee United; and Ross County and Inverness would ever even consider merging together to become 'super-clubs'. Imagine the absolute uproar if Fawaz came out and tweeted: Good news, we have now merged with Derby County to become an East Midlands Super-Club. I agree with the comments above about completely not giving one ounce of shit in regard to Scottish football and Scottish sport in general for that matter. Let them have their one-sided, tinpot league.

Wandering around the CG

Merging the Dundee clubs may be feasible as they get on but i doubt many others would like the idea. A few years ago there was talk of an Edinburgh merger but Hearts and Hibs cant stand each other and there was uproar. There are also sectarian issues between rivals, its not just a Rangers/Celtic thing.
    I feel sorry for a lot of scottish clubs, Motherwell for instance, a decent club that have produced some decent teams yet the town is divided, half is Motherwell the other half is Rangers/Celtic.
    Like Andy said, they should support their local teams, then there might be some chance of finally competing with the big two properly.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRedForest View Post
    There is not a chance in hell that Celtic and Rangers; Dundee and Dundee United; and Ross County and Inverness would ever even consider merging together to become 'super-clubs'. Imagine the absolute uproar if Fawaz came out and tweeted: Good news, we have now merged with Derby County to become an East Midlands Super-Club. I agree with the comments above about completely not giving one ounce of shit in regard to Scottish football and Scottish sport in general for that matter. Let them have their one-sided, tinpot league.
    Im no where near suggesting celtic and rangers merger thats would be deathly plus if glasgow had a super club that would kill scottish football. I do realise its controversial but something has to be done and if I was a Dundee man pooling resources would be the only way to even get close, it would never happen here and if that happened at forest I would beserk but we would still get more a week than a Dundee super club so it really dosent apply to us.

The point is they have more football fans a week going to games on percentage than us so the only the way to get a viable league is to pool resources there are too many clubs in scotland that take fans from eachother, if Dundee or Dundee Utd want to ever even have a remote possibility of challenging for a title they should come together, again I understand its contreversial and its never gonna happen but the other clubs in scotland have got to wake up and start thinking logically.

Burn them all.

Better Call Saul!

Nuclear Warfare

Better Call Saul!

hahaha! Rangers and Celtic just putting their differences aside and having Lennon and McCoist just shake hands and join forces - doubt it! it's not even like forest and Derby - it's more like Israel and Palestine

Saw Rangers owner (sounds like a Yorkshireman ) on Sky Sports News last night saying how they want to come and play in England.

He even said he'd happily start in the Conference "Because we win every league we play in so it'd only be a 4 year wait til we're in the EPL"

Fuck. Off.

Not that type of player

Quote Originally Posted by TheRedForest View Post
    There is not a chance in hell Imagine the absolute uproar if Fawaz came out and tweeted: Good news, we have now merged with Derby County to become an East Midlands Super-Club called Nottingham Forest, who will play in Garibaldi red, at the City Ground.
    That doesn't sound too bad...

Wandering around the CG

Quote Originally Posted by Barbus View Post
    Saw Rangers owner (sounds like a Yorkshireman ) on Sky Sports News last night saying how they want to come and play in England.

He even said he'd happily start in the Conference "Because we win every league we play in so it'd only be a 4 year wait til we're in the EPL"

Fuck. Off.
    He's deluded, i think they would find it tough in our league. When i've seen Rangers and Celtic play on tv they look like a pair of Championship sides to me.
    No crowd advantage taking over half of other clubs grounds down here either.
    Cant see it ever happening.

Swedish Meatball

It's pointless comparing the squads of Celtic and Rangers now and saying they wouldn't be able to compete in the Premier League. At the moment they don't have access to the sort of TV revenue or high profile league English teams do.

Rangers for now are in a pickle, but let's talk about Celtic.

They have the sort of international following that would be the envy of many Premier League teams and their merchandise sales would be comparable to most teams in England with the exception of Manchester United.

Celtic's gates are impressive and they would be able to charge even before and draw higher crowds if the opposition was of a higher standard and carried more away support.

If a situation arose where the Old Firm were in the Premier League I believe they would be competing for the Champions League places within four or five seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brolin View Post
    It's pointless comparing the squads of Celtic and Rangers now and saying they wouldn't be able to compete in the Premier League. At the moment they don't have access to the sort of TV revenue or high profile league English teams do.

Rangers for now are in a pickle, but let's talk about Celtic.

They have the sort of international following that would be the envy of many Premier League teams and their merchandise sales would be comparable to most teams in England with the exception of Manchester United.

Celtic's gates are impressive and they would be able to charge even before and draw higher crowds if the opposition was of a higher standard and carried more away support.

If a situation arose where the Old Firm were in the Premier League I believe they would be competing for the Champions League places within four or five seasons.
    I think you're right. They would for sure be able to generate the kind of income that would enable them to compete in the Premier League, I just don't want them to. I think most people in England share the same view.

Wandering around the CG

Just curious, are people dead against this because they are a potential threat to take honours or because they aren't English clubs?
    I know some people dont like the idea of Swansea and Cardiff in the prem next season.

Cardiff and Swansea - and other Welsh clubs like Wrexham - have played in the English league so long they are an established part of it. Celtic and Rangers aren't part of our league, they've been playing in their own league for 100 odd years.
    Cardiff and Swansea also don't bring a load of sectarian bollocks with them.
    Of course they would also potentially take the place of two clubs who more deservingly should be in the premier league if they ended up there. Not wanted for many reasons.

Last edited by Barbus; 05-03-13 at 13:11.

Wandering around the CG

Good points made.

Swedish Meatball

I am non-plussed about it really. Yes it would make it even harder for us to be among the top 20 teams in the country but there will always be competition of some form.

It seems a shame two great clubs, regardless of your football persuasion, are likely to suffocate in a small league.

I read an article about the stars aligning for a number of former USSR states, such as Ukraine, Belarus and Lativa, forming an Eastern European super league - a Soviet Reunion, if you like. It's worked successfully in ice hockey with the Kontinental League.

Gazprom's sponsorship of the blue riband UEFA tournament could also mean they can weigh in to make it happen.

If that happened I think we would then have precedent for Scottish teams to join a North Atlantic league with the Scandinavian countries, Belgium and Steve McClaren's motherland.

Left Winger

Default How would you solve the problem of the Scottish League system............

The European league for the best teams in countries *other than* England, France, Spain, Italy and Germany has been long mooted.

But for me, as a weekly league for the spectator it's a non-starter, simply because if you were - for example - a Celtic fan, could you conceivably afford consecutive away trips each other week to (for example) Stockholm, Moscow, Eindhoven, Copenhagen, Portugal et al?

Unless promoters for said league would be happy to see little or no away support?

It's like the rumoured "European Super League" - how many of those long-standing Chelsea/Arsenal/Manchester supporters could go every other week to Madrid, Munich, Marseille, Turin, Barcelona, Milan, Dortmund...

Attractive as those fixtures sound they'd soon lose their attractiveness for visiting supporters (try getting a flight back from Dortmund on a Sunday night).

It just wouldn't be financially feasible for an away fan unless they were minted.

"It is better to live one day as a lion, than one hundred years as a sheep"

Fans are an inconvenience. If such a league were to happen, it would be for the benefit of the clubs and tv companies.

Not that type of player

Quote Originally Posted by Bridgford_71 View Post
    Just curious, are people dead against this because they are a potential threat to take honours or because they aren't English clubs?
    I know some people dont like the idea of Swansea and Cardiff in the prem next season.
    I don't think Welsh clubs should be in the English league and I don't want Scottish clubs in there either.
    But if you can't beat 'em join 'em - how about Celtic can be in our league if we can join the Spanish League.

On the less sophisticated side of the Midlands

Quote Originally Posted by Ravi View Post
    I don't think Welsh clubs should be in the English league and I don't want Scottish clubs in there either.
    But if you can't beat 'em join 'em - how about Celtic can be in our league if we can join the Spanish League.
    We should join the Scottish PL, catch up with Commons for a pint, piss the title, qualify for Europe, win the Champions' League and then parade it around Anfield.

Sound like a plan?