Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 218 of 219 FirstFirst ... 118168208216217218219 LastLast
Results 5,426 to 5,450 of 5462

Thread: The Triffic Premier League as it 'appens Thread

Default Re: The Triffic Premier League as it 'appens Thread

Quote Originally Posted by adam09 View Post
    Stoke and West Brom have both done well since getting rid of Tony Pulis, propping up the table and staring down the barrel.
    Well sometimes his horrible, ugly turgid football becomes a bit too much.

I mean the Stoke example is just stupid anyway. How many years has it been since he left them? They got the standard of football hugely improved and maintained result levels over a number of years. If you ask Stoke fans they say generally it provided a bit of hope of some entertainment going down their ground! I still remember Jamie Redknapp telling a Stoke fan how disappointed he must be Pulis had gone to which he replied how delighted he was. He even said he'd take going down if it meant they could produce a reasonable standard of football to watch each week.

West Brom as well. I think their results have maintained since he has gone, not got worse or improved. They might actually be trying to play a bit of football these days though. Which is an improvement in itself.

Tony Pulis football is up there as some of the worst in the country. He's paraded as some kind of success but he's never won anything of significance iirc? Likewise, the top clubs won't touch him with a barge pole. He's not a winner as people often (fascinatingly for someone who has never won anything) call him, he's someone that does good at just getting by.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by mouldynffc View Post
    Well sometimes his horrible, ugly turgid football becomes a bit too much.

I mean the Stoke example is just stupid anyway. How many years has it been since he left them? They got the standard of football hugely improved and maintained result levels over a number of years. If you ask Stoke fans they say generally it provided a bit of hope of some entertainment going down their ground! I still remember Jamie Redknapp telling a Stoke fan how disappointed he must be Pulis had gone to which he replied how delighted he was. He even said he'd take going down if it meant they could produce a reasonable standard of football to watch each week.

West Brom as well. I think their results have maintained since he has gone, not got worse or improved. They might actually be trying to play a bit of football these days though. Which is an improvement in itself.

Tony Pulis football is up there as some of the worst in the country. He's paraded as some kind of success but he's never won anything of significance iirc? Likewise, the top clubs won't touch him with a barge pole. He's not a winner as people often (fascinatingly for someone who has never won anything) call him, he's someone that does good at just getting by.
    Bit like Big Sam, they both seem adept at getting teams to safety, but it stops there. Fans of their clubs never seem bothered when they leave.

Last time I checked they’re still bringing on Peter Crouch and knocking long balls Load of bollocks, they’re still playing average football, only all the rest of the league below 10th place is doing the same now.

Left Winger

Quote Originally Posted by valspoodle View Post
    Bit like Big Sam, they both seem adept at getting teams to safety, but it stops there. Fans of their clubs never seem bothered when they leave.
    Quote Originally Posted by adam09 View Post
    Last time I checked they’re still bringing on Peter Crouch and knocking long balls Load of bollocks, they’re still playing average football, only all the rest of the league below 10th place is doing the same now.
    Well you’ve nailed it here - there are a now larger number of clubs who, when they reach the Premier League, their only objective is to stay there.

Thus, a “Firefighter” Manager like Pulis or Fat Sam, is their choice, as they then are (almost) guaranteed another season on the gravy train. And it’s the ludicrous money up there that has led to this, where for anyone outside the two Manchester clubs, Chelsea, Spurs, Liverpool and the Arsenal, all you’re hoping for is 17th or better.

There is such an established hegemony up the top end, it is a rarity when that is upended. Granted it happened with Leicester, but a major part of that was the normal order all managing to shoot themselves collectively in the foot, at the same time.

A fluke, in other words.

"It is better to live one day as a lion, than one hundred years as a sheep"

Quote Originally Posted by chriscl View Post
    Well you’ve nailed it here - there are a now larger number of clubs who, when they reach the Premier League, their only objective is to stay there.

Thus, a “Firefighter” Manager like Pulis or Fat Sam, is their choice, as they then are (almost) guaranteed another season on the gravy train. And it’s the ludicrous money up there that has led to this, where for anyone outside the two Manchester clubs, Chelsea, Spurs, Liverpool and the Arsenal, all you’re hoping for is 17th or better.

There is such an established hegemony up the top end, it is a rarity when that is upended. Granted it happened with Leicester, but a major part of that was the normal order all managing to shoot themselves collectively in the foot, at the same time.

A fluke, in other words.
    The money in the PL now has created a very level playing field from the top 6 down as everyone now has money and they all continue to take points off each other see hudds putting 4 past Bournemouth this weekend, Everton beating Palace, Stoke 1 Brighton 1, West Ham beating Watford these teams will continue to take points off each other all season which makes the relegation fight at least interesting!

It's what the league could be like if they just sacked the top 6 off!

PL rights out today, interestingly the price is up slightly but the cost per game has gone down for the first time ever.

Not that type of player

Quote Originally Posted by Rzarecteh View Post
    PL rights out today, interestingly the price is up slightly but the cost per game has gone down for the first time ever.
    There was talk that Amazon might be involved this time.

"Outside the family life, there is nothing better than winning the European Cups." Brian Clough

Left Winger

But you can guarantee that reduction won’t be passed on to the viewer.

Left Winger

Default The Triffic Premier League as it 'appens Thread

Bottom of the table West Bromwich Albion resound to their woeful run of recent form...

...by sacking their Chairman and Chief Executive!

https://www.theguardian.com/football...e_iOSApp_Other

That must be a first.

Last edited by chriscl; 13-02-18 at 13:26.

Delta Red

Bottom of the table West Bromwich Albion resound to their woeful run of recent form...

...by sacking their Chairman abs.
    Serves them right for giving the job to a member of 5ive

That must be a first.
    A club taking Brian Clough's advice!

May not be the best moderator on LTLF, but he's In The Top 1

That must be a first.
    Hmmmm.

By "relegation battle", do you mean 7th, 12th or 14th?

Quote Originally Posted by willojack View Post
    flagman do me a f***ing favour remove me from this forum

Sky and BT retain the rights for PL games through to 2022. Looking to having matches kick off at 7:45pm on Saturday nights.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by FBS View Post
    Sky and BT retain the rights for PL games through to 2022. Looking to having matches kick off at 7:45pm on Saturday nights.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    I'm not serious about promotion, are you?

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Not that type of player

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43002985

More matches are being televised overall, but the main difference as FBS says, is the eight Saturday 7.45 kick offs.

There are still two packages to be announced.

Sky - 128 matches
    BT - 32 matches

The two remaining packages are a little odd - basically all the matches from 3 midweek and 1 bank holiday round of fixtures.

How are they going to show 10 live games from the 1 midweek fixture set?

You can be sure they won't play 'em all on 1 night so people can "look forward" to Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday and Friday "midweek" fixtures, which will inevitably mean more Saturday games get moved - you can't play a midweek game on a Friday and then a weekend game at 3pm Saturday.

There's an increasingly large piece of me says "let's not get promoted".

Not that type of player

Quote Originally Posted by Alvar Hanso View Post
    Sky - 128 matches
    BT - 32 matches

The two remaining packages are a little odd - basically all the matches from 3 midweek and 1 bank holiday round of fixtures.
    Not announcing the two other packages today will fuel speculation that one of the tech giants have won the bid.

Testing the waters with a small package, maybe...

Left Winger

It would be intriguing if it’s Amazon or Netflix, as unlike Sky and BT, the American giants are global platforms, not just U.K. ones.

Cue lots of wanking about with geo-IP location services to stop viewers outside the U.K. watching...

...unless that’s their plan?

If it’s Facebook, God help the game.

It would be intriguing if it’s Amazon or Netflix, as unlike Sky and BT, the American giants are global platforms, not just U.K. ones.

Cue lots of wanking about with geo-IP location services to stop viewers outside the U.K. watching...

I always thought the easiest place to watch the Premier League is outside the UK anyway?

I know US Netflix and UK Netflix have loads of different shows unavailable to each other anyway.

I would be interested to see Netflix or Amazon have a go. In regards to Facebook I agree, can’t stand that site.

Not that type of player

Potentially a game changer because, as you say, they are global players. One billion people in India... for instance. Maybe they will keep their powder dry until the next bidding rights and they’re only floating the idea at this point, but Sky and BT should be worried.

There is no benefit in a broadcaster showing all 10 games simultaneously as there's only 1 pool of viewers.

The only way to get any financial benefit is to show them singly.

Jeez - even on the last day of the season, there's only 2 games on tv together...

I always thought the easiest place to watch the Premier League is outside the UK anyway?

I know US Netflix and UK Netflix have loads of different shows unavailable to each other anyway.

I would be interested to see Netflix or Amazon have a go. In regards to Facebook I agree, can’t stand that site.
    Was listening to a chap on the radio this morning chatting about this sort of thing and he was saying that in Singapore, too, they have a special set of channels showing live football from all the top European leagues.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravi View Post
    Potentially a game changer because, as you say, they are global players. One billion people in India... for instance. Maybe they will keep their powder dry until the next bidding rights and they’re only floating the idea at this point, but Sky and BT should be worried.
    Actually, thinking about the scenario you post and the possible increase in the money, I would probably settle for the present set up.