Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 175 of 175 FirstFirst ... 75125165173174175
Results 4,351 to 4,373 of 4373

Thread: The Premier League as it happens Thread

Left Winger

Default Re: The Premier League as it happens Thread

An interesting insight into the shady beginnings of the so-called "Best League in the World":

https://www.theguardian.com/football...e_iOSApp_Other

"It is better to live one day as a lion, than one hundred years as a sheep"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

oopsy daisy!

Sickening really.

Doesn't like Joe Worrall

How Sugar was able to do what he did was the cherry on the top

Sky have a countdown banner for the transfer deadline, it will probably break all records and so will the trojectory of Jim White's airborne jizz

Quote Originally Posted by chriscl View Post
    An interesting insight into the shady beginnings of the so-called "Best League in the World":

https://www.theguardian.com/football...e_iOSApp_Other
    It was inevitable really though wasn't it? The NFL and Baseball events in the US, Golf, F1, the Olympics were all turning in billions and the Football League was an unexploited gold mine. Professional sport has become big business and a huge cash cow for the owners, sponsors and players.

The big question is will future generations buy into it or entertain themselves in other ways?

It's all about mid-table...

Quote Originally Posted by big jay View Post
    Sky have a countdown banner for the transfer deadline, it will probably break all records and so will the trojectory of Jim White's airborne jizz
    Who's Jimmy fukin White? I've gorra 17oz cue of his somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Juif Rouge View Post
    It was inevitable really though wasn't it? The NFL and Baseball events in the US, Golf, F1, the Olympics were all turning in billions and the Football League was an unexploited gold mine. Professional sport has become big business and a huge cash cow for the owners, sponsors and players.

The big question is will future generations buy into it or entertain themselves in other ways?
    Considering the size of the financial pie US sports are able to access there's still a way to go yet, especially as football is the world sport in a way that those other sports couldn't hope to dream of.

"Outside the family life, there is nothing better than winning the European Cups." Brian Clough

Man City spend another £49million on Benjamin Mendy from Monaco, another full back. Danilo and Kyle Walker obviously wasn't enough, they spent even MORE money.
    I can only echo everyone else that says the spending in the Premier League is out of control.

The fullbacks were Man City's weak link last season so I'm not surprised Pep is spending big on those areas.

Just spend, spend, spend with no repercussions......

Quote Originally Posted by Ravi View Post
    The fullbacks were Man City's weak link last season so I'm not surprised Pep is spending big on those areas.
    Danilo - £26m
    Kyle Walker - £50m
    Benjamin Mendy - £49m

Is my point. Absolute mad spending. They won't be done there either, they've already gone over £200m in spending in total and it's not even August yet. I guess it makes it that much funnier when a team like Leicester pop up and win the title ahead of all the big spenders.

Man City have spent about £150m? Their annual income is around £400m, which means they've spent about a third of it on transfers, so they're hardly being reckless. Their wage bill is also about 60% of that so they're far more frugal and sensible than most Championship clubs.

Forest's wage bill has been running at more than 100% of income in recent years, and to put Man City's transfer spending this summer into context, it's the equivalent to us spending about £7m.

Man City have spent about £150m? Their annual income is around £400m, which means they've spent about a third of it on transfers, so they're hardly being reckless. Their wage bill is also about 60% of that so they're far more frugal and sensible than most Championship clubs.

Forest's wage bill has been running at more than 100% of income in recent years, and to put Man City's transfer spending this summer into context, it's the equivalent to us spending about £7m.
    Did you also forget they signed Bernando Silva for £40 million and Ederson for just over £30m? Doulgas Luiz was around £10m too.

My point is the transfer market in general. Kyle Walker being sold for £50m is, even in today's transfers, WAY too much. He's certainly not worth £50 million.
    We'll see players failing miserably to live up to such high expectations from their high fees.

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran View Post
    Did you also forget they signed Bernando Silva for £40 million and Ederson for just over £30m? Doulgas Luiz was around £10m too.

My point is the transfer market in general. Kyle Walker being sold for £50m is, even in today's transfers, WAY too much. He's certainly not worth £50 million.
    We'll see players failing miserably to live up to such high expectations from their high fees.

So nothing particularly new. Players are worth what a club is prepared to pay, and people have been saying similar about the rising cost of transfers for at least as long as I've been watching football.

As I say, comparatively, Championship clubs are far more recklessly run than the top Premier League clubs.

Left Winger

As I say, comparatively, Championship clubs are far more recklessly run than the top Premier League clubs.
    And the main cause of that is the reckless abandon with which the Championship clubs chase promotion, of course.

Championship clubs can't get to the position where they can set up the same revenue streams. It's seen as an achievement just to get to the Prem and survive long enough to earn the mega bucks

It's all about mid-table...

Fukemall lerrum spend every single denomination of currency on the face of the earth. Every human being should work only to fund this life enriching necessity of existence on the planet !

Let us all bow down to these superior gods and pray we can just keep following this bullshit ! FFS

So nothing particularly new. Players are worth what a club is prepared to pay, and people have been saying similar about the rising cost of transfers for at least as long as I've been watching football.

Hmm, I'm not even sure you believe that. So if Tottenham were willing to pay £60million for Nile Ranger, you'd say Nile Ranger is worth £60million? Even if that's what Tottenham were prepared to pay, would he be 'worth' that? Is Carlos Tevez worth the £600,000 a week he's being paid by Shanghai Shenhua?

I get what you're saying, these transfers will just rise and rise wages will increase. We even had talk (although not PL related) of Neymar being signed by PSG for just under £200m.
    The longer this goes on, the further behind we'll fall and for me, it'll be interesting to see how the promoted clubs each year in let's say the next 5 years, fair in the Premier League. It may get to a point where the 3 clubs coming up, at least 2 of them just come straight back down each year.

May not be the best moderator on LTLF, but he's In The Top 1

A gem from PaddyPower!

"This statement is false."

Quote Originally Posted by willojack View Post
    flagman do me a f***ing favour remove me from this forum

Left Winger

Quote Originally Posted by Flagman View Post
    A gem from PaddyPower!
    Absolute top trolling from Paddy there.

Hmm, I'm not even sure you believe that. So if Tottenham were willing to pay £60million for Nile Ranger, you'd say Nile Ranger is worth £60million? Even if that's what Tottenham were prepared to pay, would he be 'worth' that? Is Carlos Tevez worth the £600,000 a week he's being paid by Shanghai Shenhua?

I get what you're saying, these transfers will just rise and rise wages will increase. We even had talk (although not PL related) of Neymar being signed by PSG for just under £200m.
    The longer this goes on, the further behind we'll fall and for me, it'll be interesting to see how the promoted clubs each year in let's say the next 5 years, fair in the Premier League. It may get to a point where the 3 clubs coming up, at least 2 of them just come straight back down each year.
    Well how do you decide how much a player, or anything else, is worth? There is no fixed price. If you want something you either pay what the seller is asking for, or you try and haggle, or you walk away. No one would be willing to pay £60m for Nile Ranger in today's market. Only the better players command the higher fees. It was ever thus - it's the reason BC paid a 'ridiculous' £1m for Francis etc.

And yes, we missed the Premier League boat a while back. Comparing us to Man City is a bit like comparing Burton to ourselves. They might get into the same division, but they're never going to be able to compete long term.

Ravi is right. It's a basic rule of economics: something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Interfering with play

Is Carlos Tevez worth the £600,000 a week he's being paid by Shanghai Shenhua?
    I bet Neil Warnock doesn't think so