Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 187 of 192 FirstFirst ... 87137177185186187188189 ... LastLast
Results 4,651 to 4,675 of 4785
  1. #4651
    Warp Speed Chic
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    8,856

    Default Re: The Guitar thread - sponsored by Freddie!

    Sight of those tuners are giving me PTSD flash backs!

    Grats Barbus.


  2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many

  3. #4652
    Left Winger
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Lufthansa Business Lounge
    Posts
    82,960

    Default Re: The Guitar thread - sponsored by Freddie!

    Quote Originally Posted by Freddie View Post
    Sight of those tuners are giving me PTSD flash backs!

    Grats Barbus.
    They look like the newer style Fender ones which are a bit flakey occasionally. You just need to make sure you wind enough extra string round the post.

    (Or replace them with the locking Fender ones, which are excellent).

    ĄI believe in socialism because it seems more humanitarian, rather than every man for himself and 'I'm alright jack' and all those arsehole businessmen with all the loot. I made up my mind from viewing society from that angle. That's where I'm from and there's where I've made my decisions from. That's why I believe in socialismď

    ó Joe Strummer

  4. #4653
    Warp Speed Chic
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    8,856

    Default Re: The Guitar thread - sponsored by Freddie!

    Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    They look like the newer style Fender ones which are a bit flakey occasionally. You just need to make sure you wind enough extra string round the post.

    (Or replace them with the locking Fender ones, which are excellent).
    They look like that but I can tell you they aren't


  5. #4654
    Left Winger
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Lufthansa Business Lounge
    Posts
    82,960

    Default Re: The Guitar thread - sponsored by Freddie!

    Quote Originally Posted by Freddie View Post
    They look like that but I can tell you they aren't
    I am a big fan of the Fender locking ones, which Iíve found to be excellent. Stuck a set on my Mexican Standard and they improved tuning stability no end.

    I have the vintage ĄClusonď style ones (with the rounded head, where you poke the string-end down into the tuner) on my Tele and they are pretty good too.


  6. #4655
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Speluncarrum Domus
    Posts
    9,885

    Default Re: The Guitar thread - sponsored by Freddie!

    If you are on a budget then Wilkinson tuners are a great option.

    I fell in love with football as I was later to fall in love with women,. Suddenly, uncritically giving no thought to the pain it could bring. - Nick Hornby

  7. #4656
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Fterno, Lefkada
    Posts
    9,657

    Default Re: The Guitar thread - sponsored by Freddie!

    This guy lived in Leicester at the same time as I did. I used to have the pleasure of watching him perform on a regular basis. He lives in France now but if he ever visits the UK again he really is a must see. His guitar playing is fantastic and the voice blows you away.
    http://blues.gr/m/blogpost?id=198292...gPost%3A191211

    Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk


  8. #4657
    The Foam Hand
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Curry House
    Posts
    25,935

    Default Re: The Guitar thread - sponsored by Freddie!

    Quote Originally Posted by alabamared View Post
    If you are on a budget then Wilkinson tuners are a great option.
    This. I’ve used them regularly, they’re reliable. I used Grover as well but they cost more.


  9. #4658
    Left Winger
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Lufthansa Business Lounge
    Posts
    82,960

    Default Re: The Guitar thread - sponsored by Freddie!

    Had a bit of time today, so stripped down the Telecaster, gave it a proper clean, oiled the fretboard and replaced the strings and set it all up again.



    Itís still got a few dings on it, but thatís character for you (and Iíve had it over 20 years, so...)


  10. #4659
    สมาชิกอาวุโส
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Marsh of Sleep
    Posts
    1,905

    Default Re: The Guitar thread - sponsored by Freddie!

    Is that a lil '59 bridge? How is it? never tried one.


  11. #4660
    Left Winger
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Lufthansa Business Lounge
    Posts
    82,960

    Default Re: The Guitar thread - sponsored by Freddie!

    Quote Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post
    Is that a lil '59 bridge? How is it? never tried one.
    Itís a Seymour Duncan Hot Rails, and it smokes.

    Think classic Tele bridge, but fatter and warmer.


  12. #4661
    สมาชิกอาวุโส
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Marsh of Sleep
    Posts
    1,905

    Default Re: The Guitar thread - sponsored by Freddie!

    So it is! I forgot about those. I had one on a partscaster that I put together years ago. Never had a good amp then though so I didn't really appreciate it.

    It was about 1990 when I got it from Loot classifieds paper in London. I had some bits from an old guitar and got some second hand parts in Denmark Street. I needed some screws to put it all together and there was a hardware shop in Holborn specialising in screws, so I measured up and went with my list and said, I want 3 of this size, 4 of this, 6 of this... and the bloke behind the counter said, "oh you're making a guitar are you?". I wasn't the first, obviously.


  13. #4662
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The prettier side of the Erewash
    Posts
    15,707

    Default Re: The Guitar thread - sponsored by Freddie!

    Got to say I'm not having any problems with the tuning stability on my Mustang. So far anyway - do they get worse after a while?

    The only complaint I do have is the edges of some of the frets above about the 12th or so are a little bit rough, but that can be easily sorted.


  14. #4663
    Left Winger
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Lufthansa Business Lounge
    Posts
    82,960

    Default Re: The Guitar thread - sponsored by Freddie!

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbus View Post
    Got to say I'm not having any problems with the tuning stability on my Mustang. So far anyway - do they get worse after a while?

    The only complaint I do have is the edges of some of the frets above about the 12th or so are a little bit rough, but that can be easily sorted.
    If the stability is good, then brilliant. As long as you properly stretch the strings when you change them, youíll probably be fine.

    If itís the ends of the frets (and it most often is) they just need dressing, you can do that easily enough if youíre careful, or of course itís childís-play for any competent Luthier. If you want to sort it yourself, thereís plenty of guides on YouTube.


  15. #4664
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The prettier side of the Erewash
    Posts
    15,707

    Default Re: The Guitar thread - sponsored by Freddie!

    Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    If the stability is good, then brilliant. As long as you properly stretch the strings when you change them, you’ll probably be fine.

    If it’s the ends of the frets (and it most often is) they just need dressing, you can do that easily enough if you’re careful, or of course it’s child’s-play for any competent Luthier. If you want to sort it yourself, there’s plenty of guides on YouTube.
    Yep. I gave them a good stretch when I first got it (because, youtube!).

    I've already watched a video about polishing up the end of the frets, seemed fairly straightforward. I'll have a go when I find the time.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoWp4Ax9zAA


  16. #4665
    The Foam Hand
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Curry House
    Posts
    25,935

    Default Re: The Guitar thread - sponsored by Freddie!

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbus View Post
    Yep. I gave them a good stretch when I first got it (because, youtube!).

    I've already watched a video about polishing up the end of the frets, seemed fairly straightforward. I'll have a go when I find the time.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoWp4Ax9zAA
    Interesting method.

    I used to fanny about with a small file, then cut an old bank card so it slotted over each fret and rub them with .0000 wire wool. Polished frets feel great.

    Pleased you like the guitar, Mustangs are good fun to play


  17. #4666
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The prettier side of the Erewash
    Posts
    15,707

    Default Re: The Guitar thread - sponsored by Freddie!

    So when I did the food shop last night I picked up a packet of emery boards (a man has to look after his nails!), and gave the offending fret ends a quick rub over with the finest one - the burrs have disappeared. All the ends feels smooth now.

    Still need to take the strings off and give the frets a proper polish up though - bends feel a bit 'scratchy'.


  18. #4667
    Left Winger
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Lufthansa Business Lounge
    Posts
    82,960

    Default Re: The Guitar thread - sponsored by Freddie!

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbus View Post
    So when I did the food shop last night I picked up a packet of emery boards (a man has to look after his nails!), and gave the offending fret ends a quick rub over with the finest one - the burrs have disappeared. All the ends feels smooth now.

    Still need to take the strings off and give the frets a proper polish up though - bends feel a bit 'scratchy'.
    Good work.

    When you polish the frets, cover the actual fretboard with masking tape, so then you wonít accidentally scuff or damage it.

    Yes itís a ball-ache to do, but itís well worth it.


  19. #4668
    Warp Speed Chic
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    8,856

    Default Re: The Guitar thread - sponsored by Freddie!

    Get some lemon oil for the fretboard as well, that's where the scratchiness will be coming from (there's no freeboard treatment on the Bullets)


  20. #4669
    Left Winger
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Lufthansa Business Lounge
    Posts
    82,960

    Default Re: The Guitar thread - sponsored by Freddie!

    Quote Originally Posted by Freddie View Post
    Get some lemon oil for the fretboard as well, that's where the scratchiness will be coming from (there's no freeboard treatment on the Bullets)
    I swear buy GHS Fast-Fret for guitars with Rosewood (or similar) fretboards:

    https://www.thomann.de/de/ghs_fast_fret.htm

    Donít try it on Maple fretboards though, as it isnít needed there.


  21. #4670
    Warp Speed Chic
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    8,856

    Default Re: The Guitar thread - sponsored by Freddie!

    Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    I swear buy GHS Fast-Fret for guitars with Rosewood (or similar) fretboards:

    https://www.thomann.de/de/ghs_fast_fret.htm

    Don’t try it on Maple fretboards though, as it isn’t needed there.
    That's a string cleaner, I wouldn't use that for fretboard lubrication like the Bullets need.


  22. #4671
    Left Winger
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Lufthansa Business Lounge
    Posts
    82,960

    Default Re: The Guitar thread - sponsored by Freddie!

    Quote Originally Posted by Freddie View Post
    That's a string cleaner, I wouldn't use that for fretboard lubrication like the Bullets need.
    Yeah, it isnít supposed to be used as a lube but it works really well.


  23. #4672
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The prettier side of the Erewash
    Posts
    15,707

    Default Re: The Guitar thread - sponsored by Freddie!

    Quote Originally Posted by Freddie View Post
    Get some lemon oil for the fretboard as well, that's where the scratchiness will be coming from (there's no freeboard treatment on the Bullets)
    Cheers, you answered my next question about lemon oil before I even asked it!


  24. #4673
    Warp Speed Chic
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    8,856

    Default Re: The Guitar thread - sponsored by Freddie!

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbus View Post
    Cheers, you answered my next question about lemon oil before I even asked it!
    I really should have put up a list of everything I've done with mine when I saw you had got yours.

    I'm sure I wrote a checklist of stuff to do, I'll check when I get home to see if there is anything I missed.


  25. #4674
    The Foam Hand
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Curry House
    Posts
    25,935

    Default Re: The Guitar thread - sponsored by Freddie!

    This is doing my swede in, don’t know if anyone has a guitar app to confirm two chords? There’s no decent tab online.
    Skip the intro to about 0:30, there’s two chords before the single note motif (C B C B). I think it’s D7 to Csus2 but can’t tell with all the distortion.



    Last edited by Bryn Gunn; 14-01-20 at 18:10.

  26. #4675
    Billy Davies long lost lovechild.
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    41,718

    Default Re: The Guitar thread - sponsored by Freddie!

    Quote Originally Posted by Bryn Gunn View Post
    This is doing my swede in, donít know if anyone has a guitar app to confirm two chords? Thereís no decent tab online.
    Skip the intro to about 0:30, thereís two chords before the single note motif (C B C B). I think itís D7 to Csus2 but canít tell with all the distortion.

    The single not motif sounds like C, G, B, G, C, G played using the G string open for the G notes?

    Hard to hear that last note in particular.


 

 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •