Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: Sean O'Driscoll was a 'cultural' fit.

Quote Originally Posted by cms186 View Post
    Literally the only concern i have about him ( and its a curious one that might not even have anything to do with him ) is the cause for Doncasters massive injury crisis that they suffered for almost a year at the end of his reign there. It could be down to many things, poor facilities, injury prone players, an unfortunate series of unlucky coincidences etc. etc. I just hope it has nothing to do with the way he trains players. It probably doesnt and its overreacting to call it a concern, maybe just a nagging doubt in the back of my head, but even so, i dont think we could be in better hands managerially ( within reason of course )
    My theory is that it's because other teams clobbered them to death. Under O'Driscoll we've lost twice to Leeds and Derby - Both of which went out to knock seven bells out of us, this leads to injuries and Doncaster simply didn't have the money or stature to attract the players they needed. It's probably why we've got a huge midfield selection.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by cms186 View Post
    I just hope it has nothing to do with the way he trains players. It probably doesnt
    You may as well have said 'I think that he sneaks into their houses at night, places them under anesthetic and replaces their muscles with silly fisher price muscles that don't work properly'

Quote Originally Posted by OxfordshireRed View Post
    August 2011 when he broke it in 3 places. SO'D left after 7 games so it sort of fits in with the timing.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/15902106

Returned December 2011 and scored against the Saints......prompting them to buy him.
    Looking at the league table there after 20 games and realising we have more points after 13 this year gives me a warm fuzzy feeling and re-iterates how much we have progressed in under 12 months. Some people would argue that it is all down to our investment but our net outgoings since January are not as high as some people seem to think. We may have paid big (relatively speaking) for Cox and Guediera but we sold Bamford, Morgan and Gunter which more than covers the cost of those 2. We have spent WISELY for a change and it is paying dividends so far and I couldn't be happier.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Rose View Post
    My theory is that it's because other teams clobbered them to death. Under O'Driscoll we've lost twice to Leeds and Derby - Both of which went out to knock seven bells out of us, this leads to injuries and Doncaster simply didn't have the money or stature to attract the players they needed. It's probably why we've got a huge midfield selection.
    Derby clobbered us Leeds did not . although O'D expected them to hence the selection of the Moose and his withdrawal at half time when he realised his mistake
    exp

Abingdon, Oxon but always a Kirkby-in-Ashfield boy....

http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/O-...ail/story.html

fantastic article, really good reading and insight into SO'Ds way of approaching football. He has never coached a dedicated passing session despite being labelled the passing manager....

fantastic article, really good reading and insight into SO'Ds way of approaching football. He has never coached a dedicated passing session despite being labelled the passing manager....
    Cracking article and I can understand the 'no passing training session' - passing is a technique which should be learned way before a player makes the first team squad. It's about making the right moves into space and giving the creative players the options to pick them out.

I did like how we're getting players to watch clips of themselves online though. Can't hurt.

Gotta say, I think Lethal Drizzle is our best appointment of a manager in years, maybe even since Clough. It might take a while for us to properly nail everything, but you just know everything is heading in the right direction. For the first in ages we have a methodical man who is prepared to properly look at everything, understand positives and negatives of every aspect of Forest, seek to fix them without wondering what affect it'll have on him and get the lads to take responsibility for their performances and ultimately their careers.

In SOD we trust.

-------------I agree he was an appointment that was popular and that will give him more time however i dont agree that we stayed up just because we got O'Driscoll dont get me wrong Cotterill was an awful appointment an awful manager but he kept us up with the help of O'Drscoll it wasnt all SOD.
    ----------------------Also i don't like us to think 'we are forest, we have a history of playing like barcelona' thats the forest way, we have got to be careful with this how much did you hear west ham fans moan that Allardyce didnt play the West Ham way when were either us or West Ham playing great carpet football, its a bit arrogant to say we are Forest we always play great football and on that point we have played some terrible games this year and we are not posession hoggers and great passers however its been entertaining and SOD is doing a great job i hope he continues the way he is and hell get all the time in the world!!!!!! COYR!!!!!!

Not that type of player

Most other clubs do passing drills in training where they rehearse specific patterns. That's fine as it soon becomes second nature enabling players to automatically produce these patterns on matchday. This is useful for teams at this level as they can be organised and effective without having to trust the players to think for themselves. At it's worst this makes teams predictable & stereotyped in their passing, the players just go through the motions and are mindlessly following orders.

O'Driscoll is all about allowing players the freedom to make the right pass at the right time. The right pass......at the right time. At it's best giving players the responsibility to be creative and adapt to the unfolding game situation makes it very difficult for the opposition team to counter, as no two moves are the same. It does however require patience as it takes a while for this approach to bear fruit, and requires a manager who trusts his players.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieLePop View Post
    Cracking article and I can understand the 'no passing training session' - passing is a technique which should be learned way before a player makes the first team squad. It's about making the right moves into space and giving the creative players the options to pick them out.

I did like how we're getting players to watch clips of themselves online though. Can't hurt.

Gotta say, I think Lethal Drizzle is our best appointment of a manager in years, maybe even since Clough. It might take a while for us to properly nail everything, but you just know everything is heading in the right direction. For the first in ages we have a methodical man who is prepared to properly look at everything, understand positives and negatives of every aspect of Forest, seek to fix them without wondering what affect it'll have on him and get the lads to take responsibility for their performances and ultimately their careers.

In SOD we trust.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by The Vicar View Post
    Derby clobbered us Leeds did not . although O'D expected them to hence the selection of the Moose and his withdrawal at half time when he realised his mistake
    exp
    Ah fair enough.

Quote Originally Posted by EmmersonForest4 View Post
    -------------I agree he was an appointment that was popular and that will give him more time however i dont agree that we stayed up just because we got O'Driscoll dont get me wrong Cotterill was an awful appointment an awful manager but he kept us up with the help of O'Drscoll it wasnt all SOD.
    ----------------------Also i don't like us to think 'we are forest, we have a history of playing like barcelona' thats the forest way, we have got to be careful with this how much did you hear west ham fans moan that Allardyce didnt play the West Ham way when were either us or West Ham playing great carpet football, its a bit arrogant to say we are Forest we always play great football and on that point we have played some terrible games this year and we are not posession hoggers and great passers however its been entertaining and SOD is doing a great job i hope he continues the way he is and hell get all the time in the world!!!!!! COYR!!!!!!
    Completely agree on the passing thing, it does my head in to a degree, it's a bonus not a minimum requirement.

A manager can set the team up how they wish providing it wins games.

Banned

On my opinion - he has made poor choices when bringing in defenders. I think they are no better than last year possibly worse

In my opinion he doesnt start his best team and then brings on the better players when we are losing to chase the game

Mid table this year at best as derby leeds and millwall have shown how good we really are

New roots in the Forest
    Breaston - an exile from the frozen wastelands of the North East

Quote Originally Posted by E R View Post
    On my opinion - he has made poor choices when bringing in defenders. I think they are no better than last year possibly worse

In my opinion he doesnt start his best team and then brings on the better players when we are losing to chase the game

Mid table this year at best as derby leeds and millwall have shown how good we really are
    January purchases will be interesting in my opinion.

Billy Davies long lost lovechild.

With the non-pre-season 'OD had I think he's done a great job bringing those in he did. It was a firefighting scenario, and not one which 'OD could spend ages mulling over. Hopefully in all this time he's been doing his homework and we'll see a few more considered, and better, defensive signings the next window.

Remember, 'OD himself stated that he'd like more defenders in after we'd signed the current batch.

Banned

Don't think SOD is good enough to take us up

New roots in the Forest

Quote Originally Posted by Schillaci View Post
    Don't think SOD is good enough to take us up
    What do you see that he lacks?

Sexual Tyrannosaurus

A massive dictionary of cliches.

"Ive only met Andy....last week actually and can confirm he is in 2nd place in sexiest fucker on here stakes." -Barry

TheDude

More fist pumping

New roots in the Forest

Quote Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
    More fist pumping
    Tim Henman fist pumping or Rocky fist pumping?

TheDude

I have to agree with the poster staying defenders are poor choices.

Harding and Ayala have looked ropy at best and I don't hear Stoke or Norwich fans complaining about losing Collins and Ward. They're ecstatic if anything

Rest of the team looks great.

Dancing in the Trent End

More fistpumping like this genius.

I'm not too worried by the defenders. Harding was good enough for plenty of games in the team that won the league. Collins gives us some much needed experience in there.
    Ayala has been a bit hit and miss but as with Ward & Harding, he's been more than good enough for promotion obtaining teams.
    I have slight reservations on Halford as I don't think he's outstanding at either RB or CB but he does give us cover across the back.
    I think there's still some shuffling across the back to do and I expect midfielders to leave in January with any money brought in used on the defence.

Senior Doom Monger

Quote Originally Posted by Tutts View Post
    I'm not too worried by the defenders. Harding was good enough for plenty of games in the team that won the league. Collins gives us some much needed experience in there.
    Ayala has been a bit hit and miss but as with Ward & Harding, he's been more than good enough for promotion obtaining teams.
    I have slight reservations on Halford as I don't think he's outstanding at either RB or CB but he does give us cover across the back.
    I think there's still some shuffling across the back to do and I expect midfielders to leave in January with any money brought in used on the defence.
    Agree with most of your points - Harding is OK at this level, but would not stand an ice cream's chance in a curry factory in the Premiership; Ayala & Collins on their day are a decent pairing (I've changed my opinion about Ayala, who was improving with each game until he tweaked his hamstring (again).
    I do disagree about Halford though - he is a very competent player and we looked terribly weak in defence without him yesterday.
    I am not saying he hasn't made mistakes, but I would put him in a higher class than any of the others (including Collins, who started well enough, but seems to be short of pace of late...).

Banned

I also think moloney is just a 3rd or 4th division player at best

The defence is very leaky and it would be interesting to see if it proves to be o'driscoll's undoing

But when teams like millwall are coming to your ground and tearing you a new arsehole questions have to be answered

Senior Doom Monger

I also think moloney is just a 3rd or 4th division player at best

The defence is very leaky and it would be interesting to see if it proves to be o'driscoll's undoing

But when teams like millwall are coming to yout ground and tearing you a new arsehole questions have to be answered
    Agreed...