Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.

Thread: Canada vs Honduras...Welcome to Hell

Default Canada vs Honduras...Welcome to Hell

So we go into our final group game against HOnduras today, we need to draw them away to make the final group of 6 in CONCACAF for WCQ. Mexico and USA are givens, so it's up to the other four teams to duke it out for the last spot. We go in on 10 points, and Honduras have 8 points.

We lost 8-1. I feel like moving somehwere else. As gutted as I was about the Derby game, man I am as low as can be now. Another chance at the big stage gone. We've qualified once, in 1986.

I don't say this often, if ever, but Canada sucks.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Canada vs Honduras...Welcome to Hell

They should rename Canada to CAN'Tada Am i right Guys?

Guys? ...

Steve Stone with hair

Wow, you SUCK! Last time I watched Canada you drew 0-0 with St Kitts and Nevis. You were also fucking awful in the last Gold Cup.

Senior Member?

Best ask Jim Brennan to come out of retirement!

Well, we were fucking awfuller today, if that is possible. St Kitts and Nevis has about 19 people on it, including tourists.

There is so much wrong structurally with football in Canada it isn't even funny. Our "FA" (the CSA) has been rife with corruption for years, the developmental scheme is only decent because of Holger Osieck when he ran our program years ago (when we actually won the Gold Cup). IN short, while we are making a few strides forward, we still have a long way to go.

Obviously.

I think a 40 year old Jim Brennan would have been better than one Mike Klu(less)kowski was today.

Steve Stone with hair

Whatever happened to Frank Yallop?

Canada is huge there's no way you should be as bad as this!

Yallop is a bad manager. He does well in MLS, but he was awful when he ran Canada last time.

We need a foreigner. Period.

And while we are a huge country, our population is, I think, 35 million. And in much of the country you can't play outdoor soccer for 6 months. It's a bit of an uphill battle.

Pynchon,
    I was shocked by that result today and you're right, the CSA is a mess. Its a shame that Canada couldn't put away one of the chances they created vs Honduras at BMO earlier in qualifying or this game today would have been a formality. There are some good young players coming through but this is a setback. I always root for you guys. Best of luck in the future.

Senior Member?

Quote Originally Posted by PynchonForest View Post
    Yallop is a bad manager. He does well in MLS, but he was awful when he ran Canada last time.

We need a foreigner. Period.

And while we are a huge country, our population is, I think, 35 million. And in much of the country you can't play outdoor soccer for 6 months. It's a bit of an uphill battle.
    But the population of Wales is only about 3 million, and they've got some fantastic players. Doesn't Canada's top 3 clubs play in the MLS? That should help Canadian players develop, playing with/against the likes of Beckham, Henry, Donovan, Keane, Cahill and Marquez etc.

Well, at least you're good at ice hockey!

We have issues on many levels. MLS is fairly new, Whitecaps are in their second season. Impact first year club. TFC are a complete and utter shambles. Last place in the league, and a revolving door of personel and coaches.

Another big issue is the lack of expertise at the coaching level. The top mens club in the city have good coaches. The odd youth coach is good, but most fill out a lineup card and look for reasons to yell at me (the ref). But the lack of a professional league for years really hurts us. Due to the huge size of our nation, a pro league is a REAL tough proposition. I mean, Canada is about as big as Europe. Bigger, probably. The travel costs are huge. So, having a few teams in MLS is fine.

They actually did a study years back, and found Canadian youngsters were comparable to English, French and whomever around age 14, in terms of technique and whatnot. It's after that that the wheels fall off which is, basically, when tactics become an integral aspect. ON the rare occasion that a youth team really impresses me with how they play, I usually make a comment to the coach, that I appreciate what his team was doing. Discreetly, of course.

Anyhow, now I can focus on the real reds, Forest. Canada are a pale, pale red right now.

I belong to nobody!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Liaminho View Post
    They should rename Canada to CAN'Tada Am i right Guys?

Guys? ...
    I'm not your guy, buddy.

Sorry, but someone had to say it.

Red til I'm dead

From the outside, and knowing very little about Canadian football, I would say that they need to start by capping any young player who looks decent and is eligible for another country in a competitive international as soon as possible.

They lost out on Owen Hargreaves to England, Asmir Begovic to Bosnia, Teal Bunbury to the USA, Daniel Fernandes to Portugal, Jonathan de Guzman to Netherlands, Jacob Lensky to Czech Republic and god knows how many others as well. It looks like Junior Hoilett will be the next big loss, probbaly siding with Jamaica.

The dumbest thing is that many of these players were previously capped by Canada's youth teams and would probably all improve the current Canada first team. Surely Canada should be giving these kids a minute or so at the end of a nothing qualification game and thus tying them forever to Canada? It doesnt take a genius to work out that kids who are in the youth set-ups at clubs like Bayern Munich, Feyenoord, Celtic, Blackburn, Porto etc are decent prospects for Canadian football.

They should start by capping Keven Aleman before he declares for Costa Rica, because if they dont, Costa Rica will, Im sure of it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Maniacal Megatron View Post
    I'm not your guy, buddy.

Yes, Aleman is blue chip.

Begovic is just an asshole. Funny, I reffed him when he was 14 or so (here in Edmonton) and I just vaugely rememeber him being big, and good technically. Anyway, Asmir played for us at U-19 Worlds in Canada. Stated one day he would declare for Canda (for sure!) and then declared for Bosnia the next day. Two faced sob, no time for him at all.

Hargreaves, a bit different. The story goes that Owen was axed from a U-17 team to make way for some kid who was "connected", and that was a bit of a chip on his (Owen's) shoulder. I';ve reffed NTC inter squads (they are regional camps, ours for the best kids in western Canada) and you'd see one or two kids out tehre who just weren't at the same level at all. I made comment to one guy scouting "Whose son is he?" and he just smiled knowingly. I'm sure you guys have petty politics there too, but Canadian soccer has been rife with upper level corruption for decades. An acquaintance of mine was at those camps with Owen as a player, and he said Owen's engine was his big quality, not so much his technical ability. And Hargreaves, when fit, could run all day and then some. I'm still unhappy he chose England, but I sort of see his point.

Teal was disappointing, as his father Alex is a Canadian legend.

Jonathan De Guzman declared for Holland, but has yet to be capped, so we may still have him, though our chances took a massive hit yesterday. Holland will not cap him at this point. NO disrespect, Holland are rarely short of quality in the mid.

Fernandes I am unsure of, but I remember hearing a local Portugeuse guy saying he declared for Portugal because of CSA bs. Not sure how accurate that is/was, as it's teh only time I heard it. I think he is still on one cap.

Hoilett we have to get, no question. He's a very dangerous player, and he has something we lack, which is a creative skilled player. If John De Guzman and Hoilett ahd been part of our campaign, we'd probably be in the final six. I honestly think those two guys would have made a big difference. Tosh Ricketts and Simeon jackson were both atrocious yesterday, and I do not see either as a natural finisher. Nor Olivier Occean, though his red card friday was so bogus it's beyond a joke. Here's the video, you tell me..........the incident starts at 1:33, and it doesn't show the red, but it's during the melee after the goal. I am not a fan of Occean, but he didn't deserve a caution, let alone red, and teh Cuban guy deserved more his reaction, arguably red himself. Cuba had a red right before that, so it was a classic even up call.

Last one standing

Quote Originally Posted by The Maniacal Megatron View Post

I'm not your guy, buddy.

I'm not your buddy, friend!

Sexual Tyrannosaurus

Quote Originally Posted by Col View Post

I'm not your buddy, friend!
    I'm not your friend, bitch.

Canada plays football like England, so there is your first problem. I saw a match a few weeks ago, in Panama I'm thinking, a guy got hurt early on and the commentator said he was your best player? Anyway it was like watching England Lite. No technique, no skill, no chance. Getting an 8-1 drubbing is pretty bad though. Did you see it coming, or was it a total shock?
    The bloke, guy, dude, bitch who said that you need to lock up young players with multi national status, is bang on. But its pretty hard to do that if players don't see any likelihood of it amounting to anything. 86 since you made it to the dance, I would think most young players, especially those playing in Europe might prefer not to play at all than commit to a national team with that kind of record. If you play in Europe and have to make that journey back for the international breaks, and play in some pretty rough countries to qualify, with no real hope and the risk of injury - I'm thinking your club coach might be doing a Fergie and trying to persuade you not to bother.
    Anyway, even if you suck at footie, you still have the Lumberjack world championships right?

Victor Meldrew

I'm thinking about all the great all time Canadian football players right now.
    I'm thinking about them.
    You know the ones, the players that really tore the world apart.
    I'm thinking about them and their achievements for Canada in International tournaments.
    The thing is about Canadian footballers that sets them apart, like the Brazilians, is technique.
    The greatest Canadian players are truly awe inspiring. Canada's contribution to football is truly amazing.

I can only name one half decent Forest player from about ten years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by PynchonForest View Post
    I think a 40 year old Jim Brennan would have been better than one Mike Klukowski was today.

?

I actually did a blog on our top ten players of all time last year.

Craig Forrest was first. Can't rememeber the next few, but in some order it would be Jason De Vos, Paul Stalteri,Dwanyne DeRosario and Atiba Hutchinson.

Dwayne De Rosario was on trial at Forest wasn't he?

Clearly he was tosh, scored some mint goals in MLS though. It's a shame about Canada, I loved watching New Zealand qualify for the world cup, and do pretty well and I imagine Canadians would be similarly excited. 8-1 is embarassing though, you're nearly as bad as Ireland!

DeRo could make Forest now, easily. He's a very good player. Not quite as good as he thinks he is, but he'd be an impact player in the Champo.

No less an authority than Thierry Henry declared DeRo the "face of MLS" a few months after he (Henry) arrived.