Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.

Thread: Aston Vanilla to go on Spending spree?

Miserable bastard

Default Aston Vanilla to go on Spending spree?

Just noted that Aston Villa owner Randy Lerner has just pocketed an estimated $1billion by selling his 'other' team - the NFL's Cleveland Browns.

Wonder if he'll invest some of this in the perennial mid-table side?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Aston Vanilla to go on Spending spree?

Quote Originally Posted by congo_red View Post
    Just noted that Aston Villa owner Randy Lerner has just pocketed an estimated $1billion by selling his 'other' team - the NFL's Cleveland Browns.

Wouldn't really call them a perennial mid-table side. They've had a couple of dodgy seasons but before that they finished in sixth position three seasons in a row.

I hope they can sort themselves out, and start punching their weight a bit more. I like Villa - although I'm not sure why,

Whilst they haven't got a bad squad, the prem is such a rat race in terms of splurging money on players. It'd be more worthwhile to concentrate on pumping money into their academy and infrastructure and make astute signings to strengthen their squad.

winnits

They're just so dull. If you're dull with an owner called Randy there's no hope.

I'm sure I read somewhere that he said he wouldst be using any of it at Villa and wanted to get the club turning a profit.

Villa are a remarkably undersupported club given the size of Birmingham. They never win anything, they never do anything and they're not supported with nearly the vigour of a Liverpool, Newcastle or even Leeds.

I don't get it really, but to me Brummies just don't have the same sense of civic pride that other do. Could well have something todo with Birmingham being a shit place.

And for the record I'd actually like to see them do much better, as I prefer them to many a premier league side.

Quote Originally Posted by weasel View Post
    Villa are a remarkably undersupported club given the size of Birmingham. They never win anything, they never do anything and they're not supported with nearly the vigour of a Liverpool, Newcastle or even Leeds.

I don't get it really, but to me Brummies just don't have the same sense of civic pride that other do. Could well have something todo with Birmingham being a shit place.

And for the record I'd actually like to see them do much better, as I prefer them to many a premier league side.
    Not really that bad actually I live just on the outskirts and like Nottingham, it has its shitholes, but in my opinion its better than Leeds. - Brummies love their football, Birmingham City always take massive numbers to away grounds, Villa took approx 4,000 for a friendly with us, Wolves (if they are counted) brought 5,000 with them last time they were at our place. As for Lerner, I get the impression he's one that likes bang for his buck and won't spend unless confident they'll do a job, they've signed about 4 or 5 this season haven't they?

Last edited by Idioteque; 05-08-12 at 06:50.

Senior Member?

Quote Originally Posted by congo_red View Post

I have a soft spot for Villa because sis is a Villa fan. And Martin did a great job while he was there. As soon as he left it all fell apart. I rate Lambert, and think Villa will get back to their decent ways shortly. I hope Lerner has figured out that Houllier was just a bad idea.

They need a new left back to start with!

I saw on Twitter that Lerner is willing to listen for offers for Villa. Can't remember which newspaper reported it though, think it was the Sunday Express.

Last edited by Black Rose; 05-08-12 at 16:46.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Rose View Post
    I saw on Twitter that Lerner is willing to listen for offers for Villa. Can't remember which newspaper reported it though, think it was the Sunday Express.
    Villa's CEO denied it by simply saying 'He inherited the Browns, he bought Aston Villa, that should tell you where his priorities are' - load of old bollocks I reckon.