Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 796 of 796 FirstFirst ... 296696746786794795796
Results 19,876 to 19,882 of 19882

Default Re: A week in politics

Quote Originally Posted by chriscl View Post

Of course, that successive governments have rather spectacularly managed to demolish most traces of industry outside of the south east doesn’t help, either.
    Is that the south East that is both to the east and to the south, or the LTLF south East that is just to the south?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Sexual Tyrannosaurus

LTLF South which is Milton Keynes down.

I walk around like everything is fine but deep down, in my shoe, my sock is sliding off.

Too School for Cool

Quote Originally Posted by chriscl View Post
    But if industry and investment had been spread throughout the country, rather than being consolidated in London, you wouldn’t jammed into your tube train like a sardine each morning?

The Stuttgart metropolitan area is home to 5.3m people (fourth largest in Germany *) and some German industrial powerhouses - Daimler-Benz, Bosch and Porsche call the city „home“, and IBM have a massive campus here, as do Siemens and Mahle. And yet each day, I can get a seat on the commuter train into the city centre, without issue, on my way to work.

* as a comparison, London has I think 8.8m?
    Oh aye.

That's the problem - they've never had the balls to overhaul a transport system from the Victorian era because of the loss to the city

Too School for Cool

The biggest stumbling block to making the London Underground better is the size of the tunnels

They're just too small for the modern world. The trains can't be made bigger.

It's a consequence of having an antiquated network.

Left Winger

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey View Post
    The biggest stumbling block to making the London Underground better is the size of the tunnels

What you need in London is the massive, swinging genitalia to implement a project like this one:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stuttgart_21

Stick that in your crossrail.

„The revolution will inevitably awaken in the British working class the deepest passions which have been diverted along artificial channels with the aid of football.“

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey View Post

Have another couple of trillion to make your A1 public transport system A1+. Up here we will just make do with our trolley buses

What gets on peoples tits though, isn't just transport, its everything being London centric.

When Labour last got in, the moved a lot of the civil service jobs outside of London into the regional centres to act as developers of better paying jobs.

Sheffield, as an example, had a large number of DWP jobs moved to the city. The majority of them have been relocated back to London now and help to create the commuter misery that the rest of the country has to offset by not being treated anywhere near equally.

Successive governments have shafted the North. Even in prosperous Derby, home of some of the biggest engineering companies in the UK, services are being cut to the bone, while we all look on in wonder at the massive investment across all sectors in the South East and London.

The North doesn't have a chip on its shoulder, rather the southerners and their political masters ensure that the country remains working for them and fuck everybody else.

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk