Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 766 of 799 FirstFirst ... 266666716756764765766767768776 ... LastLast
Results 19,126 to 19,150 of 19967

Default Re: A week in politics

Quote Originally Posted by george lyall View Post
    The Kurds would be a better analogy
    Indeed they would, thanks George.

As a complete digression, I recently read a book about arguably the most famous Kurd in history, Saladin.

Saddam Hussein was a huge fan, and commissioned hundreds of statues etc of his hero, conveniently forgetting his idol was Kurdish while committing genocide against his hero's people.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Project Zeus View Post
    I ask because of your post somewhere above about Israelis claiming their homeland either on a religious or an archaeological basis.

Forgive me if I've misunderstood your reply (which I found an interesting post), but are you saying that a people's right to its "ancestral homeland" depends on its success as a civilisation? Surely that directly contradicts your above statement?

That is a fair point Zeus, and I go back to what I said regarding why the Israeli Govt, Hamas and Fatah are all happy with the status quo.

From Israel's perspective if the conflict is ever resolved then Israel will be finally faced with dealing with the unsolvable dichotomy of is it a Secular State or is it a Jewish State.

Now for the Jewish mindset to be both Secular and Jewish at the same time with all the contradiction that it brings is not a problem, because our whole culture and religion is based around paradox and contradiction with the constant struggle to square the circle, whilst knowing that you never will. It is why we wait with anticipation for a Messiah that we know will never come.

The problem comes that the rest of of the World will not accept that Israel chugs along being both Secular and Jewish while 8 million Jews argue amongst themselves through the Knesset. The World want clarity, but when two Jews give you three opinions and every Jewish question is answered with other questions, there can never be clarity.

There are valid arguments for why Israel should exist and there are valid arguments for why it shouldn't exist, and they mainly contradict each other.

I am of the opinion that archeology proves it is our traditional homeland, and in a world that has proved time and time again that Jews are the canary in the coal mine there needs to be a place where Jews can safely be Jews, and Israel is that place.

A number of leading Arab academics, generals and leaders are now quietly acknowledging that they have wasted billions on weaponry trying to erase Israel from the face of the Earth when it should have been spent on building infrastructure with Israel that developed the whole region for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Juif Rouge View Post
    It is why we wait with anticipation for a Messiah that we know will never come.
    He came, but you killed him

Quote Originally Posted by tiffany View Post
    ....and if we hadn't Life of Brian would never have been made. You ungrateful bastard.

Nott'm/scanning the horizon @Brize.......

Quote Originally Posted by Project Zeus View Post
    Indeed they would, thanks George.

As a complete digression, I recently read a book about arguably the most famous Kurd in history, Saladin.

Saddam Hussein was a huge fan, and commissioned hundreds of statues etc of his hero, conveniently forgetting his idol was Kurdish while committing genocide against his hero's people.

Chemical (comical)Ali was his artifacts advisor

Left Winger

Quote Originally Posted by tiffany View Post
    ....and if we hadn't Life of Brian would never have been made. You ungrateful bastard.
    Ah well, always look on the bright side of life!

„The revolution will inevitably awaken in the British working class the deepest passions which have been diverted along artificial channels with the aid of football.“

Quote Originally Posted by chriscl View Post
    Ah well, always look on the bright side of life!
    This is a brilliant documentary on LoB, fascinating after 35mins when you get to the infamous debate with the rank hypocrites Muggeridge and Bishop Stockwood. Which of course led to the great NTNOCN piss take inversion of the debate. Comedy was just so good back then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdU_6jUQI9s

Left Winger

For those who’ve not heard, apparently all the Monty Python stuff is heading to Netflix.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-43686718

The BBC just go with the anti Corbyn headline even though it is just the ridiculous ramblings of Boris Johnson. If anything has discredited the UK it is the foreign secretary lying and making up evidence that wasn't there.

Quote Originally Posted by GOBIAS View Post
    The big problem for this proposed centrist party is leadership, it needs to be someone strong enough to tell Tony Blair to stay well away from it, because he is "yesterdays politician" and still toxic for many in the centre. Blair of course will see this new party as a chance to get back onto the lucrative political bandwagon in a big way.

At the end of the day this new centrist party will be "New Labour 2", it cannot avoid being that because it will be socially centre Left and fiscally centre Right. A couple of Tories on board won't change that image much, it needs a reasonable number of Tories to switch.

Much depends on where the Tories go post-May. The Mogg has now endorsed Davidson and Cleverly as the Tory future. A Mogg-Davidson-Cleverly ticket is a very powerful one and quietly ticks boxes that Labour can only dream of.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Red Unity View Post
    Whether Bojo was lying, misleading or not is side issue.

What this whole issue is about to arrive is the question of who undertook this attack.

Western powers have reinforced the view today that it was Russia - based on the science and the intelligence.

Russia says it was a false flag operation by the UK and USA - so MI5 and the CIA.

You all know what a false flag operation is by now because the internet has been full of accusations that every incident since 9/11 was a false-flag or hoax since that time.

In my view, that black-op narrative has been empowered by Russia. I first thought it in about 2012 was I was chasing some local Fascists around the internet and followed them down the Rabbit Hole into conspiracy land.

In amongst the ruins, I noticed that the doubtful minds of the collected conspiracy theorists had 2 subjects where their scepticism didn't extend. Firstly, on anything Russia did was always a response to the corrupt West/New World Order/Illuminati/Bilderberger Party. Secondly, they had an incredible respect for Putin, seeing him as some virtuous leader. For people who could concoct vapour trails from airplanes as chimical mind-drug etc, it always seemed odd their doubtful disposition did not seems to extend to Russia. By 2014, and their response to Ukraine/Crimea and the downing of MH17 plane, in which they were never the perperptraor, it was always a flase flag, suggested that Russia was engaged in educating certain types of Westerners into this midset.

Since those days, everything that now happens is classed as false flag, hoax or drill.

And today, we arrive at the classic.

I could be wrong of course, and our government is delivering us this false-flag stuff all the time.

But we're getting close to this narrative be a mainstream one, and it's been a long time in the making.

I'm the counter-ops conspiracy nut.
    This has now become the official Russian narrative. Both Salisbury and the chemicals attack in Syria were black-ops operation by the UK.

This has now become the official Russian narrative. Both Salisbury and the chemicals attack in Syria were black-ops operation by the UK.
    No Baldrick, the Third World War started when some Black Cops went rushin' into Sainsburys after someone was seen putin' some chemicals in the syrup.

Cz45 Xxx ccxxtxxx xxx synthetic v

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Barbus View Post
    Cz45 Xxx ccxxtxxx xxx synthetic v

When your phone comes unlocked in your pocket. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Barbus View Post
    When your phone comes unlocked in your pocket. lol

Or you are having a wank via the other pocket?

Or you are having a wank via the other pocket?
    Unfortunately not. Out walking with the missus. Definitely no wanking at all.

Banned

The treatment of the Windrush Children is a disgrace. A toxic policy that completely misrepresents the covenant that the UK has with citizens of the commonwealth. Their parents came here with British passports from 'the colonies' to help rebuild our country after the war. It's grim that our country has rolled-back in this despicable way.

It's no surprise this has arisen now though. There is a general toxic atmosphere around immigration. Not least since #brexit when immigration became the totem around which the campaign built it's energy. On the one hand not unsurprising given Andy Wigmore's boast that Leave.EU actively followed a model developed by the Nazis in generating bogeymen and whipping up a storm. What might be more surprising is that post #brexit our intimate relationship with the commonwealth is supposed to replace the economic benefits we'll lose from leaving the EU.

Taking back control?

Last edited by ReDias; 17-04-18 at 09:32.

Who was the previous Home Secretary again?

Left Winger

The treatment of the Windrush Children is a disgrace. A toxic policy that completely misrepresents the covenant that the UK has with citizens of the commonwealth. Their parents came here with British passports from 'the colonies' to help rebuild our country after the war. It's grim that our country has rolled-back in this despicable way.

It's no surprise this has arisen now though. There is a general toxic atmosphere around immigration. Not least since #brexit when immigration became the totem around which the campaign built it's energy. On the one hand not unsurprising given Andy Wigmore's boast that Leave.EU actively followed a model developed by the Nazis is generating bogeymen and whipping up a storm. What might be more surprising is that post #brexit our intimate relationship with the commonwealth is supposed to replace the economic benefits we'll lose from leaving the EU.

Taking back control?
    Agree 100%.

Go after an easy target, make like you’re “tough on immigration”?

These aren’t new immigrants, they are the children of immigrants who were invited there, settled there, worked there and paid taxes there.

And you treat them like that?

Banned

Agree 100%.

Go after an easy target, make like you’re “tough on immigration”?

These aren’t new immigrants, they are the children of immigrants who were invited there, settled there, worked there and paid taxes there.

And you treat them like that?
    They weren't immigrants, they arrived on British passports. They were British citizens. But the debate on immigration has shaded this into a way in which race determined the applicability.

There will be more of these cases. And not just of black and brown people from the commonwealth. There will be Irish and Europeans who settled here after the war who face the same technical issue, though they might find their 'immigration status' interview a little easier with white skin...

Last edited by ReDias; 17-04-18 at 09:51.

There is clearly a serious problem (not a challenge) here that needs sorting quickly and fairly, though I am not sure "race" is a major factor here considering how many other non-white immigrants from other countries have not experienced the problem.

My kids were born overseas and the first thing we did was get them British Passports as babies. You can never assume any country's bureaucracy will treat you fairly, so getting paperwork in place is essential.

Left Winger

There is clearly a serious problem (not a challenge) here that needs sorting quickly and fairly, though I am not sure "race" is a major factor here considering how many other non-white immigrants from other countries have not experienced the problem.

My kids were born overseas and the first thing we did was get them British Passports as babies. You can never assume any country's bureaucracy will treat you fairly, so getting paperwork in place is essential.
    True, but you were essentially forewarned.

In this case, these poor buggers - many of whom have been there 40+ years - are being asked to supply four pieces of individual documentation proving residence for every single year they have lived in the U.K.

The Home Office would not even accept payment of National Insurance contribution (collected by PAYE of course) as proof.

That’s how daft it is.

Banned

True, but you were essentially forewarned.

In this case, these poor buggers - many of whom have been there 40+ years - are being asked to supply four pieces of individual documentation proving residence for every single year they have lived in the U.K.

The Home Office would not even accept payment of National Insurance contribution (collected by PAYE of course) as proof.

That’s how daft it is.
    We did talk about this on the brexit thread about my business partner who has been in the UK since 1999. To naturalise he needs to be able to prove he consistently lived here for all that time. It's a hard job to do. I think I'd fail to produce some paperwork further out than about 6 years, and I'm literally from an Briton family that has been inter-breeding in the Trent basin for about 1500 years!

Last edited by ReDias; 17-04-18 at 12:16.

Left Winger

We did talk about this on the brexit thread about my business partner who has been in the UK since 1999. To naturalise he needs to be able to prove he consistently lived here for all that time. It's a hard job to do. I think I'd fail to produce some paperwork further out than about 6 years, and I'm literally from an Briton family that has been inter-breeding in the Trent basin for about 1500 years!
    I know I would too.

I’ve got records going back maybe eleven years (when I bought my house in the U.K.) but before that I’ve no idea.

And even HMRC doesn’t keep records forever apparently.