Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Steve McClaren is Amazing Thread - Sponsored by Alf-Inge Fudge

Billy Davies long lost lovechild.

Default Re: McClaren wins first game back in charge, 5-0

Quote Originally Posted by Raymondo Ponte' View Post
    He'll be gone soon enough, when will Clubs learn ?
    Reading through various threads on here, when will some of our fans learn?

Last edited by Alf-aSemedoBlueJeans&Chinos; 13-02-12 at 14:38.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Rice 34

I watched that match, some abymsal defending by Twente but Luuk de Jong nearly got them a draw on his own, excellent young player.

Quote Originally Posted by Beasty View Post
    I watched that match, some abymsal defending by Twente but Luuk de Jong nearly got them a draw on his own, excellent young player.
    McClaren's obviously not had time to work his magic on him yet

3 defeats in a week with Twente scoring 2 goals and conceeding 9.

The man who inherited a side which was unbeaten all at home season (until he took over in Jan and promptly lost that unbeaten home record within a few games) has now managed 3 defeats on the bounce.

This a team which, before McClaren, had scored 4 or more goals in 6 games this season and averaged over 3.5 goals a game.

Looks like he's finally starting to work his "magic" again - maybe he needs to come and get some of his old coaching buddies or a striker like Miller/Derbyshire to help take Twente to "the next level".

Last edited by Mr Jester; 19-03-12 at 10:57.

It's all about mid-table...

He'll be gone soon and you have to say no British team would employ him (unless the Chairman is due a spell in Rampton).

It's time for him to find a vocation in life that he's good at.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymondo Ponte' View Post

He'll be gone soon and you have to say no British team would employ him (unless the Chairman is due a spell in Rampton).

It's time for him to find a vocation in life that he's good at.

Yup! The scary thing is though that, because of all the good work done prior to his arrival (inheriting a squad which was 3rd with games in hand), he's still in with a chance of winning the title! Which if he did somehow pox he'd no doubt parade it on his CV with a big fat picture of him winking stamped with "I am the man" next to it.

Last edited by Mr Jester; 19-03-12 at 13:05.

Last one standing

Why has this thread been brought back up? Who cares about Schteve?

Quote Originally Posted by Col View Post
    Why has this thread been brought back up? Who cares about Schteve?
    I do. Some fans (not myself though) think he was the "right man in the wrong job" and that his faliure was entirely down to our previous board, so I'm interested to see how he fairs in other circumstances.

Are you just miffed becaused we're not talking about Billy Davies?

Last edited by Mr Jester; 19-03-12 at 14:11.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Jester View Post
    I do. Some fans (not myself though) think he was the "right man in the wrong job" and that his faliure was entirely down to our previous board, so I'm interested to see how he fairs in other circumstances.
    If you're going to bring up his failings though you have to point out he has had some (very good) successes previously too.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieLePop View Post
    If you're going to bring up his failings though you have to point out he has had some (very good) successes previously too.
    I'm just pointing out what's happening here and now (and if he succeeds at some point in the future then I'd expect that to be given as a counter point).

Past week? 3 defeats, 2 goals scored 9 conceeded. If next week it's the other way round fair play.

With the squad McClaren inherited though I'd be expecting his team to be doing far better than that. They were 3rd when he took over, he's signed 2m worth of players since he took over and they are now 4th. So far it's the typical spend money lose points equation we saw at Forest. Give him a full preseason in charge and that's when we'll get a true picture.

EDIT: Next 2 games are against bottom of the table and 4th from bottom so I think they will be a big tell on this season for him.

Last edited by Mr Jester; 19-03-12 at 16:29.

Failed at Middlesboro, failed at England, failed at Forest, failing at Twente...it's almost as if he's not very good at football management.

Last one standing

Are you just miffed becaused we're not talking about Billy Davies?
    Nope, just unsure as to some people are so obsessed with former managers. Takes all sorts, I spose.

Quote Originally Posted by BrollyArdron View Post
    Failed at Middlesboro
    Middlesborough under Steve McClaren - UEFA cup finalists, top half of the prem.

Middlesborough without McClaren - Obscure championship midtable mediocre team

How did he fail exactly?

Failed at Middlesboro, failed at England, failed at Forest, failing at Twente...it's almost as if he's not very good at football management.

............*Waits for poster to post minor exception to this which won't take into account obvious factors such as how much money McClaren spent at Boro (£8m on Massomo Maceroni anyone?)*............

Quote Originally Posted by Windows View Post
    Middlesborough under Steve McClaren - UEFA cup finalists, top half of the prem.

Middlesborough without McClaren - Obscure championship midtable mediocre team

How did he fail exactly?
    Ta-da!!!

So he was a £30m success (not including wages of players, him or his staff).

Quote Originally Posted by Col View Post
    Nope, just unsure as to some people are so obsessed with former managers. Takes all sorts, I spose.
    Probably the same reason why some people keep moaning about folk posting on certain subjects in certain threads, but then they continue to read those threads - because it's the nature of forums.

Mr Mojo Risin'

............*Waits for poster to post minor exception to this which won't take into account obvious factors such as how much money McClaren spent at Boro (£8m on Massomo Maceroni anyone?)*............

Ta-da!!!

Probably the same reason why some people keep moaning about folk posting on certain subjects in certain threads, but then they continue to read those threads - because it's the nature of forums.
    If you read the Bill Beswick website its clear that all Middlesborough's success was down to him rather than McClaren.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mojo Risin' View Post
    If you read the Bill Beswick website its clear that all Middlesborough's success was down to him rather than McClaren.

They spent £30m+ and all they needed was a Bill Beswick!! He could work wonders here

Massimo Maccarone scored a last minute winner in both the Quarter Final and Semi-final of the UEFA cup.

So McClaren spent £30m on his success on Middlesborough, and we spent £10m in the three seasons on players yet find ourselves at the wrong end of the second division.

Whether or not McClaren used money to bring to success to Boro is irrelevant, because he brought them their first ever trophy and a European cup final. Obviously managers that can take a club to these glories without spending large amounts of cash deserve praise but to suggest Middlesborough's most successful manager of all time is somehow a failure is totally incorrect.

U REDS!

Don't forget the great job he did at Wolfsburg..

Quote Originally Posted by Windows View Post
    Massimo Maccarone scored a last minute winner in both the Quarter Final and Semi-final of the UEFA cup.

So McClaren spent £30m on his success on Middlesborough, and we spent £10m in the three seasons on players yet find ourselves at the wrong end of the second division.

Whether or not McClaren used money to bring to success to Boro is irrelevant, because he brought them their first ever trophy and a European cup final. Obviously managers that can take a club to these glories without spending large amounts of cash deserve praise but to suggest Middlesborough's most successful manager of all time is somehow a failure is totally incorrect.
    Paul McGregor scored the winning goal in the round before, does that make him worth nearly £8m or in fact any good?

None of your points prove McClaren is any good, nor that his achievements at Boro were nothing short of what would be expected from someone spending so much money. The amount spent is not irrelevant at all - imagine giving Frank Clark £20-30m when we were in the UEFA cup, and was his career (or the clubs he managed) a success? And the fact that Boro's "most successful manager of all time" is deemed a titled worth anything is questionable.

We'll see how he goes from here, hence why I posted in the thread. I actually believe he's in with a good chance of winning the dutch league, but that's based on the good work done prior to his arrival - next season will tell all.

Paul McGregor scored the winning goal in the round before, does that make him worth nearly £8m or in fact any good?

None of your points prove McClaren is any good, nor that his achievements at Boro were nothing short of what would be expected from someone spending so much money. The amount spent is not irrelevant at all.
    Blinded by your anti-McClaren hate.

Boro under McClaren may have spent loads but they were raking it in from Premier League income, finals and a European adventure. Look where they are now. The final conclusion is they were better under McClaren than they are now, regardless of who they bought or how they nicked goals in last minutes, it's a moot point.

His success at Twente first time round was remarkable too. The foundations had been set but he went into that job (the first foreign job he'd taken) and worked wonders, winning the league for them for the first time. That's not to be sniffed at.

His England record is no worse than Capello's or any other England manager of the past 20 years.

His record at Wolfsburg and Forest were dire, no two ways about it, but Forest have become considerabely worse since he left.

I was neither for or against McClaren when he joined and am still the same after he left. I think he made some good points, like needing pace wingers and new strikers, but failed miserably to focus on defence too. I do wonder if we'd got that Dutch winger if things may have started to come together. Alas, we're stuck with Cotterill now who really is the worst manager we've had in living memory.

TheDude

Jack Cork and the Dutch winger would have made a massive difference. Think I'd take SM back now but he needs to be at club with some dosh.

We really missed a trick with Jack Cork. I'm still gutted about that.

None of your points prove McClaren is any good, nor that his achievements at Boro were nothing short of what would be expected from someone spending so much money. The amount spent is not irrelevant at all - imagine giving Frank Clark £20-30m when we were in the UEFA cup, and was his career (or the clubs he managed) a success? And the fact that Boro's "most successful manager of all time" is deemed a titled worth anything is questionable.

We'll see how he goes from here, hence why I posted in the thread. I actually believe he's in with a good chance of winning the dutch league, but that's based on the good work done prior to his arrival - next season will tell all.
    You disregard every success McClaren has got in his managerial career as either being down to buying success or the good work of someone else - This is little surprise though because you seem to have a very strong dislike of McClaren after his time with us. He is the first manager to win the Dutch Title with FC Twente in their history. He was also the first English manager to win a Major European league since Sir Bobby Robson - This is some achievement, especially for someone who was in their first season in a foreign league. Looking back on his time with Middlesborough with hindsight after he has failed elsewhere no doubt takes away some of what he did there, but it must be considered that at the time what he did at the Riverside handed him the England job - a job the media would have you believe is the most coveted in the world.

Best served cold

I normally agree with most of your posts- but i cant understand why your taking away all credit from mcclarens work.

He did an excellent job at boro and also twente before.

He did a bad job as england boss, and also here.

But that shouldnt just completely nullify his achievements in the game - which arent inconsiderable.

Im not a mcclaren fan, but i think hes become a touchstone of outrage unnessecarily.

I really dont get the hatred directed at him.

Hes not like kinnear or megson, and he didnt go out of his way to tear the club down like cotterill has

He did a bad job, and was gyped abit by the board. It was a bad mix and we all saw the results.

But thats about it.

Last edited by incapable hulk; 19-03-12 at 18:36.
    "I've been blessed with many things in this life: an arm like a damn rocket, a c**k like a burmese python, and the mind of a f**king scientist" - Kenny Powers

Former Champion

Steve McClaren is unquestionably the worst football manager of all time.

Not to mention a sickening twat.