Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 36

Thread: Brian and Peter: A Right Pair

      
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Twitter: @Mark_Searby
    Posts
    13,501

    Default Brian and Peter: A Right Pair

    Just in case you didn't manage to pick the book up when it was first released. The Works bookshop are selling it for £3.99.
    Just in time for Christmas

    Similar Threads:

  2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Advertising world
    Posts
    Many

  3. #2
    The Boss
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    LTLF HQ
    Posts
    4,579

    Default Re: Brian and Peter: A Right Pair

    Available online here but postage is almost as much as the book!


  4. #3
    Senior Doom Monger
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Vale of Belvoir
    Posts
    20,726

    Default Re: Brian and Peter: A Right Pair

    Is it a good read, or just someone minting it on the great men's reputations?


  5. #4
    winnits
    Guest

    Default

    It's written by Peter Taylor's daughter.


  6. #5
    Rupert
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Long Eaton
    Posts
    2,750

    Default Re: Brian and Peter: A Right Pair

    I haven't even read 'The Damned United'


  7. #6
    Left Winger
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Lufthansa Business Lounge
    Posts
    85,809

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MAC View Post
    I haven't even read 'The Damned United'
    You'd be better off reading "Walking on Water" Mr. Clough's autobiography.

    "The Damned United", good story though it is, does take a certain license with established facts.

    „I believe in socialism because it seems more humanitarian, rather than every man for himself and 'I'm alright jack' and all those arsehole businessmen with all the loot. I made up my mind from viewing society from that angle. That's where I'm from and there's where I've made my decisions from. That's why I believe in socialism“

    — Joe Strummer

  8. #7
    Senior Member?
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    6,678

    Default Re: Brian and Peter: A Right Pair




  9. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    17,613

    Default Re: Brian and Peter: A Right Pair

    Quote Originally Posted by chriscl View Post
    You'd be better off reading "Walking on Water" Mr. Clough's autobiography.

    "The Damned United", good story though it is, does take a certain license with established facts.
    I just did not enjoy ''The Damned United '' book or film at all, not because it did not show up BC in bright lights, it just seemed '' Trashy ''.


  10. #9
    Sexual Tyrannosaurus
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Behind you
    Posts
    44,836

    Default Re: Brian and Peter: A Right Pair

    Got this bought for my B'day in August and have only just started reading it.


  11. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,062

    Default Re: Brian and Peter: A Right Pair

    A good read


  12. #11
    Senior Doom Monger
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Vale of Belvoir
    Posts
    20,726

    Default Re: Brian and Peter: A Right Pair

    Thanks for feedback - goes on Christmas List.


  13. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,613

    Default Re: Brian and Peter: A Right Pair

    Quote Originally Posted by FBS View Post
    Just in case you didn't manage to pick the book up when it was first released. The Works bookshop are selling it for £3.99.
    Just in time for Christmas
    Nice one, in mi stocking!


  14. #13
    Not that type of player
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The Mixer
    Posts
    37,737

    Default Re: Brian and Peter: A Right Pair

    Quote Originally Posted by chriscl View Post
    You'd be better off reading "Walking on Water" Mr. Clough's autobiography.

    "The Damned United", good story though it is, does take a certain license with established facts.
    The Damned United is fiction. As long as you take it as such it's a cracking read imo.

    Stand Firm And Strike Hard

  15. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Posts
    3,862

    Default Re: Brian and Peter: A Right Pair

    Didn't like The Damned United but loved Provided You Don't Kiss Me. Excellent read.


  16. #15
    It's all about mid-table...
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Wetherspoons
    Posts
    18,136

    Default Re: Brian and Peter: A Right Pair

    I'll get this book the wife for xmas!


  17. #16
    Smithy6916
    Guest

    Default Re: Brian and Peter: A Right Pair

    Off topic, but borderline relevant:

    A brief review of 'Brian Clough:Nobody Ever Says Thank You'

    http://www.football365.com/f365-feat...st-Clough-Book...


  18. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    queing up for a cob
    Posts
    4,589

    Default Re: Brian and Peter: A Right Pair

    Quote Originally Posted by sedgred View Post
    I just did not enjoy ''The Damned United '' book or film at all, not because it did not show up BC in bright lights, it just seemed '' Trashy ''.
    Sedge, I do always take an interest in what you have to say because you often make intelligent observations, but this ain't one of em! That film isn't trashy, it's pretty bloody good as films go!!

    Pork - Stuffing - Apple Sauce

  19. #18
    Not that type of player
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The Mixer
    Posts
    37,737

    Default Re: Brian and Peter: A Right Pair

    Quote Originally Posted by Giuseppe Gariboldi View Post
    Sedge, I do always take an interest in what you have to say because you often make intelligent observations, but this ain't one of em! That film isn't trashy, it's pretty bloody good as films go!!
    The film was weird - it still contained as much fiction as the book but seemed to be trying to be more biographical. It seemed confused to me, and unfortunately some people still take the events portrayed in the film as fact.


  20. #19
    winnits
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Giuseppe Gariboldi

    Sedge, I do always take an interest in what you have to say because you often make intelligent observations, but this ain't one of em! That film isn't trashy, it's pretty bloody good as films go!!
    The film was better because Clough wasn't such a bleak figure in it. Kind of a sugar coated turd, if you will.


  21. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    17,613

    Default Re: Brian and Peter: A Right Pair

    Quote Originally Posted by Giuseppe Gariboldi View Post
    Sedge, I do always take an interest in what you have to say because you often make intelligent observations, but this ain't one of em! That film isn't trashy, it's pretty bloody good as films go!!
    Thank you, but as ever it would be a dull grey old world if we all held the same opinions


  22. #21
    winnits
    Guest

    Default Re: Brian and Peter: A Right Pair

    The biggest issue with the film for me was Peter Taylor, a certain at-times portly - but largely distinguished looking gentleman from Nottingham - was played by a fat ugly brummie who did little to disguise his natural accent. I like Timothy Spall generally as an actor but he dropped the ball in this one big time, which is a pity because even though I didn't really think much to the film I did think Michael Sheen was a fantastic Clough.


  23. #22
    Left Winger
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Lufthansa Business Lounge
    Posts
    85,809

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Winnits View Post
    The biggest issue with the film for me was Peter Taylor, a certain at-times portly - but largely distinguished looking gentleman from Nottingham - was played by a fat ugly brummie who did little to disguise his natural accent. I like Timothy Spall generally as an actor but he dropped the ball in this one big time, which is a pity because even though I didn't really think much to the film I did think Michael Sheen was a fantastic Clough.
    Agreed - Spall was a bit mis-cast.

    Although as you say, Michael Sheen was brilliant, and for me, makes the film watchable just for his performance.

    I'm just waiting for him to make "Part Two" (which is the one where Forest go on, beat everybody, win the league and then the European Cup twice; probably featuring Hugh Grant as Trevor Francis, Jason Statham as Archie Gemmill and Clive Owen as TheFormerRedsCaptain John McGovern!)


  24. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Twitter: @Mark_Searby
    Posts
    13,501

    Default

    At the premiere Sheen got on the mic and said "I think the only thing Cloughie would say about this film is 'Why isn't it a trilogy?'"


  25. #24
    winnits
    Guest

    Default Re: Brian and Peter: A Right Pair

    I don't think they'll sequel it. David Peace certainly won't write another book about him. It would be a bit silly.


  26. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Twitter: @Mark_Searby
    Posts
    13,501

    Default

    I'd hate to see a sequel. At the time of the film there was talk of "provided you don't kiss me" being made, but I don't see how they could do that.


 

 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •