Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Italia 90

winnits

Default Re: Italia 90

I think it's an age thing... I was old enough to get booze, we had a series of gatherings for the games, Psycho's penalty - it was all just too good, of course, until the end!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Sexual Tyrannosaurus

I was ten when euro '96 came around, I loved it, really got me into football.

Terrorist Scum

Quote Originally Posted by Andy!
    I was ten when euro '96 came around, I loved it, really got me into football.
    I went to all the Euro 96 games at the City Ground, if that counts for anything!

„The revolution will inevitably awaken in the British working class the deepest passions which have been diverted along artificial channels with the aid of football.“

Best world cup in a long time.remember watching cameroon beat argentina in the first game.england playin shite against the irish and then mark wright heading the winner against eygpt thats the only time i've cheered when a derby player scored.platt against belgium,big ears smashing home two peno's when we were on the verge of being knocked out.an then the germans to be fair it was a brilliant game or bar the result.proper players proper tournament.you can't say that nowdays

Quote Originally Posted by Winnits View Post
    However, for me the halcyon tournament will always be Euro 96 for me.
    Yeah, 96 was immeanse, our demolition of the Dutch was out this world.

Italia 90 just had that bit of magic about it tho, with Gazza and Liniker (and Waddle to a lesser degree) in the side you just always felt we were in with a chance whoever we played. Psycho and Walker at the back made u proud to be a red, and it was a really nice summer too which meant everyone was out playing footy in the park till silly o clock in pitch black after the games.

Unfortunately my greatest memory was running out the house and knocking on all the doors on our street when Platt scored that volley, went mental and half the street came out jumping and shouting along with us. The other half looked gone out at us A memory soursed by the fishfaced twat's time here

Rijkaard and Voller gobbing on each other

'96 was probably the best year of my life so far. Forest were good, England were good, the music was great, I got my first nut, started my first band - absolute magic.

Chris Evans on Radio 1 Breakfast during Euro '96 was just brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by BrollyArdron View Post
    '96 was probably the best year of my life so far. Forest were good, England were good, the music was great, I got my first nut, started my first band - absolute magic.

Chris Evans on Radio 1 Breakfast during Euro '96 was just brilliant.
    Another great summer if I remember rightly as well.

This period was a mini-golden age where the corporate touch in football was benefitting the game, yet the game istelf still had it's soul (a lot less players just in it for the money and fame, ala Psycho, Le Tissier, Shearer etc.). Some great tunes on all fronts too (rock, indie and dance scenes).

Ah, rose tinted specs n all that

Last one standing

I remember the Euro 96 flags they attached to the lamp posts along the Ring Road all slowly got stolen as the summer went on. lol

winnits

Yep, my mate got arrested for that

I still have one of them!

deleted

Remember watching one of England's Italia 90 matches on a big screen at Glastonbury ... can't for the life of me remember anything about it lol

Peter Unwin George Wall

Yep, my mate got arrested for that

I still have one of them!
    I've got Stanley Matthews

winnits

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Unwin George Wall

I've got Stanley Matthews
    I have the green one with an 'unknown footballer' on it

I was 10 in 1990 and Italia 90 for me will always have that special bit of magic that subsequent World Cups have been lacking (although USA and France were decent tournaments)

Talk to anyone of an older generation and they will bore you with it being a dour, dull, tactical and defensive World Cup, lowest number of goals, too many penalty shootouts, worst final ever etc.. but it just had an intangible quality through my eyes whether it was:

- The emergence of Cameroon with their shock win over the world champions and Roger Milla at 38 doing his jig at the cornerflag
    - England having a successful tournament and actually looking like they could win it, Waddle coming so close to putting us through when he hit the post and then the heartbreak of penalty misses by he and Psycho
    - Maradona's moment of magic to setup Cannagia to put Brazil out
    - Toto Schillaci (whatever happened to him?)
    - Great goals, Baggio vs Czechoslovakia, Mattheus both goals vs Yugoslavia, Platt vs Belgium

It will never be matched as far as I'm concerned.

Terrorist Scum

Quote Originally Posted by bhastings316
    - Toto Schillaci (whatever happened to him?).
    He went off to play in Japan, I believe.

nakkernino del clusto

Oddly enough, although i remember the 90 world cup fondly, its thanks to pavarotti that I discovered opera and have been to a few classics - paris 96 for pavarotti and nessun dorma - widely regarded as his best - and there is something special about the fact that only a handful of people have ever existed that can pull it off.

Quote Originally Posted by bhastings316 View Post
    Toto Schillaci (whatever happened to him??)
    Last seen doing an ad for Smithwicks beer on Irish TV....

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk

For those of you who want a really good read and an interesting perspective of Italia '90, there's a massive article by Gab Marcotti in Issue 2 of the Blizzard.

you can buy a hard copy here http://www.theblizzard.co.uk/product/issue-two-print/ or a digital version is also available.

Resident foodie!

Quote Originally Posted by Tutts View Post
    For those of you who want a really good read and an interesting perspective of Italia '90, there's a massive article by Gab Marcotti in Issue 2 of the Blizzard.

you can buy a hard copy here http://www.theblizzard.co.uk/product/issue-two-print/ or a digital version is also available.
    Was just going to post this same thing.

I hate Gabriel Marcotti with a passsion.

If you want a really good read and an interesting perspective on Italia '90 buy All Played Out by Pete Davies. Awesome book.

Best served cold

Italia 90 was the first world cup I paid attention to properly, I have dim memories of 86 but wasn't really interested.

However, for me the halcyon tournament will always be Euro 96 for me.
    Euro 96 will always be special because it was here. I remember being in school, and after when we'd go on the bus....all the way down mansfield road there were euro 96 banners hanging from the lamp posts.

Italia 90 will always be my fave, as its the first one i remember properly, plus new orders song, when you still hear it now- so perfectly captures the time.

Last edited by incapable hulk; 15-09-11 at 09:42.
    "I've been blessed with many things in this life: an arm like a damn rocket, a c**k like a burmese python, and the mind of a f**king scientist" - Kenny Powers

Best served cold

Has anyone else seen one night in turin? Me and my housemate watched it last year, with a few beers one night.

Its actually really good, and as i was quite young at the time- i didnt remember at all the pressure bobby robson was under at the time. Its really worth a watch.

Heh, he still gets really upset when he sees the west german deflected goal.

Banned

Gazza tearing the tournament up, Voller and Rijkaard, Roger Milla, Cameroonians trying to kill Argentinians lol

Football wise it wasn't as good as 82 or 86 but it was still at least 3 times better than the last World Cup.

Resident foodie!

Quote Originally Posted by BrollyArdron View Post
    I hate Gabriel Marcotti with a passsion.

If you want a really good read and an interesting perspective on Italia '90 buy All Played Out by Pete Davies. Awesome book.

Read this when I was at uni and it's brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post

Read this when I was at uni and it's brilliant.
    You DA MAN, Jon-a-tan!