Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.

Thread: Capello what about Paul Smith?

Default Capello what about Paul Smith?

Posh keeper given England call-up

Capello has called-up Peterborough's Joe Lewis
    England coach Fabio Capello has brought Peterborough goalkeeper Joe Lewis into his squad after Chris Kirkland returned to Wigan due to a back injury.

The Football Association said Kirkland looks set to miss Wednesday's friendly against the United States after having muscle spasms in his back.

Lewis and Peterborough won promotion to League One this season.

The 20-year-old became Peterborough's record signing in January when he signed for £400,000 from Norwich.

"This is fantastic news for Joe and Peterborough United," Peterborough director of football Barry Fry told the club's official website.

"It will be a fantastic experience for him."

If Lewis makes his debut, he will join a small group of players including Johnny Byrne, Peter Taylor and Steve Bull who have played for England while plying their trade outside the top two divisions.

Meanwhile England manager Fabio Capello says he will have the final say whether Manchester United and Chelsea players will travel with England for the Trinidad & Tobago game.

Nine players involved in the Champions League final reported for England on Saturday ahead of Wednesday's match against the USA.

However, it remains unclear whether they will travel for the 1 June game.

Football Focus interview - Capello on upcoming friendlies

"I'll decide - if I want them to go then they'll go," he told the BBC in his first interview in English.

"We are one England team and we wear one England shirt," he added on Football Focus.

Elsewhere, Newcastle striker Michael Owen and Tottenham midfielder Jermaine Jenas have withdrawn from the forthcoming friendlies because of illness and injury.

606: DEBATE
    It would be great to see Dean Ashton in an England shirt

Si-preston-iron-whu
    Owen did not report for England duty on Friday due to a virus while Jenas is out with an ankle problem.

Owen's absence could give the likes of Dean Ashton and Gabriel Agbonlahor a chance to stake a place in the team.

David Beckham will report on Sunday after LA Galaxy's game with Kansas City on Saturday.

23 clean sheets and some Peterborough keeper gets a call up

Similar Threads:

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Capello what about Paul Smith?

I think we should sign him, he's a local lad and is great in the center of the park....

Eh? really?

there must be more English keepers than that!!

Think about it.

Paul Smith is on holiday and won't have trained for 3 weeks, much like the fringe Gk's - Robinson, Foster, Carson.

Lewis has been playing/training with the U21's and Psycho obviously rates him as a potential prospect, so he's gone along to help Hart/James with their catching practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Tnewton_1988
    23 clean sheets and some Peterborough keeper gets a call up*
    i was thinking the same thing.............but Baggio is right.......hes probably pissing it up on hols

I would have deemed Lewis or Smith as pointless additions to the England squad myself.

I'm no saying Smith should be in the squad all the time just be nice for Capello to notice his clean sheets this season.Sven called Dawson up to a training session whne Michael was with us.

Quote Originally Posted by It's Baggio
    Think about it.

Paul Smith is on holiday and won't have trained for 3 weeks, much like the fringe Gk's - Robinson, Foster, Carson.

Lewis has been playing/training with the U21's and Psycho obviously rates him as a potential prospect, so he's gone along to help Hart/James with their catching practice.
    I concur...though it would have been good to see Smith get a call up!

Doubt it will ever happen though.

Whilst we are talking Paul Smith, does anyone have any news on the operation that he needed towards the end of the season......or did I dream this?

'Intelligence without ambition is a bird without wings' - Salvador Dali 1904-1989

I think 'odd' is a good thing. Oddness shows originality, uniqueness and a desire to be different from the masses. Oddness is, maybe, only deemed 'odd' by the majority who are considered less odd but only by their own blinkered observations and understanding. Oddness should never be criticised but be encouraged to nurture, develop individualism and to explore the mind rather than conform to expectation and 'normality'. Many of the world's greatest works of art and prose were born from those minds many considered to be 'odd'.
    [/url]

Joe Lewis is only in because of injury, can't see him keeping his place for long anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by T.B.T.
    Whilst we are talking Paul Smith, does anyone have any news on the operation that he needed towards the end of the season......or did I dream this?
    You didn't dream it TBT lol but nothing has been said about his operation or that of Tysons back injury.

nakkernino del clusto

Quote Originally Posted by Tutts
    Eh? really?

there must be more English keepers than that!!
    I'd imagine Robert Green isnt too happy about this.

Quote Originally Posted by clusternakker
    I'd imagine Robert Green isnt too happy about this.
    Robert Green will be on holiday and wont have trained for 3 weeks.

It's only as potential third choice cover in case Kirkland doesn't make it.

Capello's been quoted as saying he didn't want to call up a 'high profile' keeper as the seasons over and it's highly unlikely they'll even get on the subs bench.

Robert Green wont be in the england squad as he's currently climbing or prepring to climb Mount Kilamanjaro for charity.

Joe

clops1962

yes,apparently David Beckham is going up Kilimanjaro as well,who will be the first to tell him he wont be able to drive up in his hummer