Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it as big a match for us as it is for them?

Default Is it as big a match for us as it is for them?

Just thinking as the game gets ever closer. Is anyone getting giddy about the thought of bragging rights over our not so noisy neighbours. Either way hope theirs a good atmosphere tomorrow night with plenty of banter before during and after the match.

Similar Threads:

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Is it as big a match for us as it is for them?

Against Derby, we could sell it out even with an extra few thousand seats, where as half the ground is shut for this. *

It'll be a laugh, but it doesn't grab you like the thought of playing the Sheep the next day would.

* An interesting off topic point, just how many could we sell for a game against them? 35,000? 40,000?

if it was derby I'd of had a ticket weeks ago, as it stands i still Dont have one. Pretty much sums it up really.

Quote Originally Posted by gamble View Post
    if it was derby I'd of had a ticket weeks ago, as it stands i still Dont have one. Pretty much sums it up really.
    this

I'm not going, going to make lasagne and watch a Harry Potter film, occasionally checking the score.

Quote Originally Posted by gamble View Post
    Fair comment I think I'm going for the novelty value more than anything else. That and I've also had loads of county inbreds piping up in my ear about how there gonna do us over. I just look at them in bemusement with a smile on my face

I'll be amazed if there isn't any fighting.

All County supporters are old or are scruffs

If I remember correctly its always a tough fought game but much better natured than Derby. I remember their fans reacting brilliantly when Stan Collymore nearly swallowed his tongue last time we were in the same league.

Obviously a bigger game for Notts but hopefully there is still a bit of gusto added to our lads performance.

It doesn't mean much to us, but if they win, jesus it'll be like the second coming of christ.

They went mental at us over a fucking friendly, let alone a competitive match.

Earthworm - 35 easily, maybe 40. If we were likely to drub them. So, yes.

As for is it as big? I think strip everything away and yes. Liverpool-Everton is no smaller a gig for Liverpool's Man U rivalry. Reasons for things come and go, such as Notts' perceived slight by us for 'not hating them as much as Derby and doing it on purpose', us getting annoyed by Muntogate so on. But they are are local rivals, none more local in fact... and it's a bloody shame we can't have a go at one another at least once a season.

I wish them a reasonable amount of success and stability despite the hubris of two summers ago, but never, ever at the expense of Forest. It's a unique and historic old rivalry, a healthy one for both clubs and one that doesn't get the run-out it deserves. The politics of this or that decade pale in comparison to the wider issue - they're our true and correct local rivals.

Derby will probably be the main enemy for as long as this generation of fans are alive at the very least, but who are second to the Sheep? Leicester? Leeds? Sheff U? None of them deserve it.

I hope we get them in the FA cup as well. And next year, I hope they've managed to blag promotion so we can do them four times, twice in the elague and twice in the cup. To think it's been this long, it's such a shame. I used to get to Matchday thinking 'oh no, what if we lose'? ... and very occasionally we would. Before I got to games and read fanzines and understood the Derby rivalry, I really wasn't old enough to realise the proximity and emnity between us and the sheep. Notts County though, you could put two and two together for your single-digit aged self. I think for me it's the original, apart from anything else.

Last edited by goatboy; 08-08-11 at 17:44.

Quote Originally Posted by Lew. View Post
    It doesn't mean much to us, but if they win, jesus it'll be like the second coming of christ.

They went mental at us over a fucking friendly, let alone a competitive match.
    Ha ha ha very true indeed. I remember their reaction after the friendly it was if they'd just won the champions league

winnits

Not even close. I "don't want to lose" as opposed to wanting to win - it's an important distinction.

Quote Originally Posted by Winnits View Post
    Not even close. I "don't want to lose" as opposed to wanting to win - it's an important distinction.
    Heh, sounds a bit daft but actually does sum it up when you think about it.

Must admit only reason I'm going is so I can see a "Nottingham derby". Since the last one was what 17 years ago, I wasn't old enough to understand football or even go to the City Ground being only 4!
    So yeah, it's probably more of a novelty thing, as I'd honestly sacrifice this win if it meant doing the double over Derby!

Banned

Looking forward to the match, great for the City and both clubs at this stage of the compition. Forest need to win, County hope to.

I'm going to hopefully see a few of the up-and-coming academy lads, many of whom I've not seen before...and could possibly get a run out. Everyone knows who our real rivals are, not these jokers.

Not that type of player

Quote Originally Posted by goatboy View Post
    Earthworm - 35 easily, maybe 40. If we were likely to drub them. So, yes.

As for is it as big? I think strip everything away and yes. Liverpool-Everton is no smaller a gig for Liverpool's Man U rivalry. Reasons for things come and go, such as Notts' perceived slight by us for 'not hating them as much as Derby and doing it on purpose', us getting annoyed by Muntogate so on. But they are are local rivals, none more local in fact... and it's a bloody shame we can't have a go at one another at least once a season.

I wish them a reasonable amount of success and stability despite the hubris of two summers ago, but never, ever at the expense of Forest. It's a unique and historic old rivalry, a healthy one for both clubs and one that doesn't get the run-out it deserves. The politics of this or that decade pale in comparison to the wider issue - they're our true and correct local rivals.

Derby will probably be the main enemy for as long as this generation of fans are alive at the very least, but who are second to the Sheep? Leicester? Leeds? Sheff U? None of them deserve it.

I hope we get them in the FA cup as well. And next year, I hope they've managed to blag promotion so we can do them four times, twice in the elague and twice in the cup. To think it's been this long, it's such a shame. I used to get to Matchday thinking 'oh no, what if we lose'? ... and very occasionally we would. Before I got to games and read fanzines and understood the Derby rivalry, I really wasn't old enough to realise the proximity and emnity between us and the sheep. Notts County though, you could put two and two together for your single-digit aged self. I think for me it's the original, apart from anything else.
    Quality post.

Stand Firm And Strike Hard

Quote Originally Posted by Winnits View Post
    .. well summed up !!

I hope we don't lose .. Notts will be the opposite.

How come there isn't one of these on this thread yet?

what sort of attendance are we looking at for tonight then? - Baring in mind they have the personal record of 5,000? I'm on about going down for a ticket couple of hours before kick-off, think i'll be okay to do this? and will the tickets still be £17 if so? Thanks

Miserable bastard

I honestly don't care if they hammer us. It's an early round, of a Mickey Mouse cup competition that has long since lost it's sparkle but continues to go through the motions. It might as well be a friendly, or the Johnstone's Paint Trophy.

Not that type of player

Quote Originally Posted by congo_red View Post
    I honestly don't care if they hammer us. It's an early round, of a Mickey Mouse cup competition that has long since lost it's sparkle but continues to go through the motions. It might as well be a friendly, or the Johnstone's Paint Trophy.
    It's Steve's 2nd competitive game in charge. A 0-0 home draw followed by a hammering at home would hardly be the start he was hoping for - you can imagine the headlines tomorrow. We need a win tonight to get our season off the ground. I expect a strong team.

Last edited by Ravi; 09-08-11 at 10:00.

Miserable bastard

Quote Originally Posted by Ravi View Post
    It's Steve's 2nd competitive game in charge. A 0-0 home draw followed by a hammering at home would hardly be the start he was hoping for - you can imagine the headlines tomorrow. We need a win tonight to get our season off the ground. I expect a strong team.
    A fair point, but I still don't care!

Quote Originally Posted by congo_red View Post
    A fair point, but I still don't care!
    Yup, I think winning tonight is important, but only from the point of view that we want Schteve to start well and settle in quickly, not coz it's County.

That said I dare say the S-Mac will start with a few youngsters in there anyway, which if we do lose will give us the excuse that we're not really bothered and are still testing out squad players for the real task of promotion.