Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You can't have it both ways...

Miserable bastard

Default You can't have it both ways...

...football fans are generally a contradictory bunch, especially when it comes to their manager. It's natural for his every move to be intensley scrutinised, none more so that one managing a club in the shadow of one of the games true greats.

Certainly, I'd not be one to defend some of Calderwood's decisions in his time at the City Gorund, but some of the hypocrisy from certain 'backseat managers', in person and on these boards really is rather staggering.

One of the most obvious criticisms frequently aimed at Calderwood, is his playing of certain player out of position. Whether this be John Curtis as a left-wingback, Grant Holt as a left-winger, or, more recently Luke Chambers as a right-back. The general consensus here is that Colin should definetly put round pegs in round holes. However, shortly after making these observations, said persons will then suggest that Nathan Tyson would be better served as a left-winger, or that James Perch should play right-back, or Chris Cohen at left-back or left-wing. Much like modern referees, a little bit of consistancy wouldn't go amiss.

Similarly, on his use of the squads young members, players like Matt Thornhill, who has been outstanding for our excellent reserve team for some time, will be labelled 'not ready' for the first team, whilst the same people will call for Brendan Moloney to be given a chance. Again, which is it?

Over to you chaps...

Similar Threads:

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

yam

Default Re: You can't have it both ways...

James Perch started as a right back, I never understood why he was moved to midfield other than we needed some "bite" and no one else was available. It seems reasonable to play Perch at right back but I agree re- Tyson, Cohen etc.

nakkernino del clusto

Ideally the manager would have signed enough competent players to enable an acceptable squad depth which would enable the manager and fans to choose players in their correct position rather than playing people out of position in a deperate attempt to find a stop gap.

Miserable bastard

Quote Originally Posted by yamyam
    James Perch started as a right back
    Nope, Perch started as a centre-back. Admittedly he had his first first-team appearance as a right-back, but this was due to Joe Kinnear playing him out of position.

yam

Quote Originally Posted by The Congo Red
    Nope, Perch started as a centre-back. Admittedly he had his first first-team appearance as a right-back, but this was due to Joe Kinnear playing him out of position.
    I stand corrected. Damn these managers and their square peg round holiness.

His first first team appearance was as a centre back in a 0-0 draw.

I claim my £5 for spotting this error.

Miserable bastard

Quote Originally Posted by Tutts
    His first first team appearance was as a centre back in a 0-0 draw.

I claim my £5 for spotting this error.
    Really? I must have missed that.

Erm, your fiver is in the post.

winnits

It was away at Wigan I believe.

I don't think anybody would object to playing people out of position if they were any good there - take Tyson against Charlton; he had a good game on the left wing.

I rate Perch's performances at right back much more highly than those of Chambers who is not only out of position, but in a position where he performs terribly.

Grant was out of position and utterly ineffective, as was Curtis.

There's nothing wrong with putting someone in a new role (Clough converted Burns to a centreback, remember), so long as it works.

When Calderwood does it, more often than not it doesn't work at all.

...football fans are generally a contradictory bunch, especially when it comes to their manager. It's natural for his every move to be intensley scrutinised, none more so that one managing a club in the shadow of one of the games true greats.

Certainly, I'd not be one to defend some of Calderwood's decisions in his time at the City Gorund, but some of the hypocrisy from certain 'backseat managers', in person and on these boards really is rather staggering.

One of the most obvious criticisms frequently aimed at Calderwood, is his playing of certain player out of position. Whether this be John Curtis as a left-wingback, Grant Holt as a left-winger, or, more recently Luke Chambers as a right-back. The general consensus here is that Colin should definetly put round pegs in round holes. However, shortly after making these observations, said persons will then suggest that Nathan Tyson would be better served as a left-winger, or that James Perch should play right-back, or Chris Cohen at left-back or left-wing. Much like modern referees, a little bit of consistancy wouldn't go amiss.

Similarly, on his use of the squads young members, players like Matt Thornhill, who has been outstanding for our excellent reserve team for some time, will be labelled 'not ready' for the first team, whilst the same people will call for Brendan Moloney to be given a chance. Again, which is it?

Over to you chaps...
    People suggesting Cohen goes on the wing are stupid. He is simply ineffective there and 10 times better in the centre.

People saying Chambers is playing out of position are daft too since at the start of the season everyone was saying how he should be played there and he was the best right back.

These players may not be playing in their natural positions but you do have to consider that doesn't make them bad in that area. Perch has made a good start to the season in the centre and he is naturally a central defender. Same at right back aswell.

winnits

Quote Originally Posted by mouldy
    People saying Chambers is playing out of position are daft too since at the start of the season everyone was saying how he should be played there and he was the best right back.
    I have never said any such thing, nor heard anybody else say it either!!

People suggesting Cohen goes on the wing are stupid. He is simply ineffective there and 10 times better in the centre.
    He's been ineffective in the centre for a while too...

Quote Originally Posted by Winnits
    I have never said any such thing, nor heard anybody else say it either!!
    On the lastest evidence Chambers is out of position on a football pitch, let alone at right back.

Long Serving Member

Quote Originally Posted by M15 Red
    On the lastest evidence Chambers is out of position on a football pitch, let alone at right back.
    Wrong. I think Chambers could be a better option than Wes at CB. He's quicker, calmer on the ball and just as good in the air.

Wes could do with being dropped IMO.

this is just boring.

One set of people say we are doing well but unlucky, another set say that we are terrible.

dickheads CONSTANTLY go on about this elusive "fully fit squad", a fully fit squad will do us no good if we are 20 points adrift.

We will not at any point this season have every player available, so to the people banging on with this "fully fit squad" shut up for everyone's sake.

bottom line is we are the bottom line in the championship and any other chin waggin' will do nothing to help.

AKA Randy Bumgardener

Quote Originally Posted by jrthelord
    this is just boring.

One set of people say we are doing well but unlucky, another set say that we are terrible.

dickheads CONSTANTLY go on about this elusive "fully fit squad", a fully fit squad will do us no good if we are 20 points adrift.

We will not at any point this season have every player available, so to the people banging on with this "fully fit squad" shut up for everyone's sake.

bottom line is we are the bottom line in the championship and any other chin waggin' will do nothing to help.
    Aye, lets all agree with what you say (Glen's evil twin ?)

'The cross came in from Majewski, and Blackstock slid in, Gabriel Tamas attached to him in the manner in which a baby chimpanzee clings to its mother' Dexter Blackstock vs West Brom

I'd love to see some evidence of this as I don't remember anyone saying that or anything remotely like that.

You wouldn't be bandwagon jumping by any chance?

Saying that Chambers is the best right back that we've got, Perch being untested, isn't exactly a positive judgement.

Here, there & anywhere that will have me..

this is just boring.

yeah but this is because we are unlucky & have only half of a fit squad if we werent so unlucky and a fully fit squad we would be winning this league and taking our rightful place in the premiership along side lesser sides lie manchester united and liverpool as it is we arent because we are unlucky and dont have a fully fit squad

PS We're a bit shit too...

The beast is stirring yet again!! :devil:

it has nothing to do with football or NFFC

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Pope.
    yeah but this is because we are unlucky & have only half of a fit squad if we werent so unlucky and a fully fit squad we would be winning this league and taking our rightful place in the premiership along side lesser sides lie manchester united and liverpool as it is we arent because we are unlucky and dont have a fully fit squad

PS We're a bit s**t too...
    funny guy.

Hello jr...

Quote Originally Posted by Spring Heeled Jack
    Hello jr...
    hello paedo

hello paedo
    lol

Are you going to go running to admin if I pick on you again?

I think Perch is the best right back we have and when I have seen him play there he has looked comfortable on the ball, good going forward and rarely caught out of position, all of which Chambers does badly.

Quote Originally Posted by Big-Dog
    I think Perch is the best right back we have and when I have seen him play there he has looked comfortable on the ball, good going forward and rarely caught out of position, all of which Chambers does badly.
    true.

perch over chambers at right back any day.

oopsy daisy!

Why argue for Perch at right back? Why argue for him playing out of position too?

Possibly because he would be the least worst option at right back in the current squad.